Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

colts run game

OLD FAN MAN

Play calling and O-line, but mostly play calling IMO. It's so so obvious when we are going to run... There's like 7 guys on the line, and a fullback, which is a formation that I haven't seen us pass out of very much at all. In my opinion, we should try running some out of the shotgun w/5-6 lineman and no fullback, and similar formations. As for the o-line, we were missing 2 starters tonight, so that's my excuse for that.

The problem is Richardson, he still doesn't have the vision and dances behind the line of scrimmage instead of making one cut and go. The o-line isn't the best but it's serviceable, Brown and Bradshaw both ran the ball well last year. So far, Boom Herron has played like the best RB on the roster.

Play calling and O-line, but mostly play calling IMO. It's so so obvious when we are going to run... There's like 7 guys on the line, and a fullback, which is a formation that I haven't seen us pass out of very much at all. In my opinion, we should try running some out of the shotgun w/5-6 lineman and no fullback, and similar formations. As for the o-line, we were missing 2 starters tonight, so that's my excuse for that.

And from rewatching the first team offense, when we ran out of pistol/shotgun, Trent had 2 carries for 13 yards. I may have missed a run or 2 but there was certainly more room to work with out of those formations than with the I-formations with 7 guys on the line and a fullback. It's just way too predictable. It never worked last year and it won't work this year. We should just get those plays out of the playbook or only use them inside the 5. JMO

O-LINE, goal line formations at midfield, Trent not seeing holes to escape... Really just a bunch of stuff!

Pass blocking seemed okay though.

Our O-Line does have some injuries right now that will hopefully be cleared up by the season opener. We will just have to wait and see.

I was actually pretty encouraged by Richardson. I know his YPC was less than 3, but he had like 4 good runs that all made him look decisive and elusive. His balance and ability to make someone miss in the open field is amazing IMO. He does need to get better at hitting holes, but that will come when the starting 5 lineman are all back together. Just my opinion.

The problem is Richardson, he still doesn't have the vision and dances behind the line of scrimmage instead of making one cut and go. The o-line isn't the best but it's serviceable, Brown and Bradshaw both ran the ball well last year. So far, Boom Herron has played like the best RB on the roster.

Brown and Bradshaw ran well last season? Really? The Colts were rated 26th in the league last year.

It is Pep if he runs the ball out what is becoming our base with the field spread Trent had 3/4 good runs.

It is when he brings in the FB or his tight bunch that everything goes to hell. Then Pep either runs it right up the gut or he tries his "favorite" play that calls for a guard to pull and seal the back side we don't have a guard that can make that play and it gets caught in the backfield every single time.

Mewhort couldn't make it against the Jets I didn't bother to watch who it was tonight when I saw the FB I just grimaced. I hope we don't carry a FB on the roster. I think it will make Pep a better coordinator and Trent/Ahmad  a better back. I really hope it doesn't take Pep 10 weeks to realize that play might be one he needs to leave in California.

You can throw in the fact that we were down 2 starters on the O Line and Harrison was playing in his second game too but that didn't seem to matter as much as formation.

Who knows it is preseason so they could have been just trying things under real fire.

What Brown and Bradshaw did last year mean nothing, 2/5ths of our O Line is different or very little

I thought we made some decent plays with TRich in and as others mentioned some just looked horrible.  I think Richardson showed some promise on a couple of runs when the line gave him somewhere to go.  I am unsure what everyone thinks should happen are we supposed break off 20 or more on every play?  Most teams dont break those off until later in a game so a few series doesnt really show much especially in the pre-season when as most know we are trying different things and experimenting.  I will hold judgement until after the first 3 or 4 games.  Overall I was encouraged with our D they looked solid against the Giants first team.

GO COLTS

Ya cause there's always holes when you make just one cut and go. We all need to take a lesson from this HOF RB

Brown and Bradshaw ran well last season? Really? The Colts were rated 26th in the league last year.

As a matter of fact they did. Brown averaged over 5 YPC and Bradshaw was doing great too before the injury. Richardson, on the other hand, well, the numbers speak for themselves.

As a matter of fact they did. Brown averaged over 5 YPC and Bradshaw was doing great too before the injury. Richardson, on the other hand, well, the numbers speak for themselves.

You didn't notice the Colts offensive line was pretty bad last season? Run blocking was terrible and pass blocking was even worse. Had it not been for Luck being as big, strong and fast as he is he would have been the most sacked QB in the league. Brown ran out of different formations and Bradshaw just pounded his way. TRich's numbers were down but so were the whole Colts running game. Even last night TRich done well when he had a block to work with. It's hard to run when you have a defensive player hitting and or hanging all over you in the backfield.

You didn't notice the Colts offensive line was pretty bad last season? Run blocking was terrible and pass blocking was even worse. Had it not been for Luck being as big, strong and fast as he is he would have been the most sacked QB in the league. Brown ran out of different formations and Bradshaw just pounded his way. TRich's numbers were down but so were the whole Colts running game. Even last night TRich done well when he had a block to work with. It's hard to run when you have a defensive player hitting and or hanging all over you in the backfield.

Not too well. 2.3 yards per carry but isn't that about what he always gets?

The fact that the Colts were ranked 26th in running last year certainly wasn't the fault of Brown or Bradshaw.   Or Ballard either.

Brown averaged 5.3 yards per carry.    Bradshaw 4.5    And Ballard 4.8.

There were other reasons for our troubles.

I thought we made some decent plays with TRich in and as others mentioned some just looked horrible.  I think Richardson showed some promise on a couple of runs when the line gave him somewhere to go.  I am unsure what everyone thinks should happen are we supposed break off 20 or more on every play?  Most teams dont break those off until later in a game so a few series doesnt really show much especially in the pre-season when as most know we are trying different things and experimenting.  I will hold judgement until after the first 3 or 4 games.  Overall I was encouraged with our D they looked solid against the Giants first team.

GO COLTS

There where a couple times where it seemed to me that he missed cutback lanes where he could have picked up 5 yards as opposed to 1 or 2.

I'm a little worried that he lacks vision.

When Trent gets stuffed at the line, there just isn't a hole to go threw. The D always seems to be

waiting for him. It has nothing to do with vision or Burst. Jim Brown wouldn't get yards either.

I know some of say Donald Brown played behind the same line and got yards. Well he wasn't going threw

the same holes, and he did get some blocking.

Numbers can be very misleading.

d

There's no doubt that there was many times when Trent had defenders in his face as soon as he got the ball. But several times he made a very poor read and ran right into a guy. One play for instance was a sweep play to the right. The guard sealed his guy, the tackle forced his guy to the outside. Trent ran it wide outside, right into the man the tackle was blocking. If he cuts it inside he had a nice size gain. The more Trent struggles the worse our passing game will be because teams will be able to play for the pass knowing the running game isn't going to hurt them.

What one cut did you want him to make last night? I haven't rewatched the game yet, but I only remember one play that he missed an opportunity on, and that was a play where he should have bounced it outside, but hesitated. I didn't think there were any holes for him to see, and the couple of nice runs he had, he found a sliver of daylight and shot through it.

It is Pep if he runs the ball out what is becoming our base with the field spread Trent had 3/4 good runs.

It is when he brings in the FB or his tight bunch that everything goes to hell. Then Pep either runs it right up the gut or he tries his "favorite" play that calls for a guard to pull and seal the back side we don't have a guard that can make that play and it gets caught in the backfield every single time.

Mewhort couldn't make it against the Jets I didn't bother to watch who it was tonight when I saw the FB I just grimaced. I hope we don't carry a FB on the roster. I think it will make Pep a better coordinator and Trent/Ahmad  a better back. I really hope it doesn't take Pep 10 weeks to realize that play might be one he needs to leave in California.

You can throw in the fact that we were down 2 starters on the O Line and Harrison was playing in his second game too but that didn't seem to matter as much as formation.

Who knows it is preseason so they could have been just trying things under real fire.

We have the WRs, put 2 of them ALWAYS there and 3 of them occasionally to run out of those formations.

Unless it is an obvious 3rd and 1, we should stop using the FB too many times with a FB or QB draw for those short yardage situations to keep the Ds honest. Trent's YPC is better running with 3 WRs on the field with our OL, as it should be for most RBs. So, if that works, we should stick to it more often. He is not Jerome Bettis, lets not expect him to be one.

Not too well. 2.3 yards per carry but isn't that about what he always gets?

Let me guess.. you didn't watch the game and are just looking at the "stats". On at least 4 runs Richardson was hit by a defender in the backfield before he could get to the line of scrimmage. When the line blocked well or at the least decently (on 3 runs) Richardson ran well.

Let me guess.. you didn't watch the game and are just looking at the "stats". On at least 4 runs Richardson was hit by a defender in the backfield before he could get to the line of scrimmage. When the line blocked well or at the least decently (on 3 runs) Richardson ran well.

Nice excuse. Almost as good as last weeks or even last year's. I have already said that I cannot get a feed on the game. I listened on radio and watched on a play by play site on the internet. 2.3 to 2.5 yards per carry is all this guy has done since he came to the Colts. He is the third best or lower running back on this team. When will everyone including management just realized he is a bust and move on with some journeymen running backs who will be much better than TR.

The fact that the Colts were ranked 26th in running last year certainly wasn't the fault of Brown or Bradshaw.   Or Ballard either.

Brown averaged 5.3 yards per carry.    Bradshaw 4.5    And Ballard 4.8.

There were other reasons for our troubles.

You can't even say his name now?

You can't even say his name now?

No.....    that's not it at all....

But (A) I don't want to lump it all on Richardson,  because I don't think it's all his fault.

I think (B) our problems with the OL were the biggest problem...

And I think ©  our OC didn't do anyone any favors with his play calling...   I thought we were very predictable with personnel, down and distance.     I thought we often looked well scouted as if defenses knew what was coming.

Combine all that,  you get a 26th ranked running game.     It's not all on Trent....

Hope that clarifies my view....    (for what little it may be worth...)

No.....    that's not it at all....

But (A) I don't want to lump it all on Richardson,  because I don't think it's all his fault.

I think (B) our problems with the OL were the biggest problem...

And I think ©  our OC didn't do anyone any favors with his play calling...   I thought we were very predictable with personnel, down and distance.     I thought we often looked well scouted as if defenses knew what was coming.

Combine all that,  you get a 26th ranked running game.     It's not all on Trent....

Hope that clarifies my view....    (for what little it may be worth...)

I think Trent Richardson is the worst starting running back in the entire NFL. It isn't all the offensive line. Other backs gain yards just not poor old Trent, the only one of them that can never find a hole or average over 2.5 yards per carry. It isn't going to change, he just isn't a very good running back. In fact, he is a lousy running back.

I think Trent Richardson is the worst starting running back in the entire NFL. It isn't all the offensive line. Other backs gain yards just not poor old Trent, the only one of them that can never find a hole or average over 2.5 yards per carry. It isn't going to change, he just isn't a very good running back. In fact, he is a lousy running back.

In case you didn't know it takes a decent line to run block. That is something he hasn't had. He catches very well out of the backfield. I am sure you have a problem with that also.

Trent lacks toughness it takes

Yeah you got to explode to the line and he doesn't do that he dances around he lacks toughness

Nice excuse. Almost as good as last weeks or even last year's. I have already said that I cannot get a feed on the game. I listened on radio and watched on a play by play site on the internet. 2.3 to 2.5 yards per carry is all this guy has done since he came to the Colts. He is the third best or lower running back on this team. When will everyone including management just realized he is a bust and move on with some journeymen running backs who will be much better than TR.

?????????

I have no idea what this means........

The offensive line sucked last year, everyone knows that. They weren't the worst rated line, but were in the bottom 5.

With that being said though Trent was the worst running back to play for any of those bottom 5 teams.

So other backs were getting yards behind not only the Colts line, but also worse lines.

The next excuse is always the 3 coordinators in 2 years. Which would hold some water if Trent had showed even a slight level of improvement towards the end of the season as he became accustomed to the new playbook. He never did improve even slightly though.

Trent's rookie numbers were not great, for a 1st round pick they actually sucked. Ballard was having similar numbers overall.

The difference between Trent and Ballards numbers are that Trent's were inflated by one good game, he destroyed the Colts defense. Now if you were to take away that one game, and recalculate his numbers he would basically have the same numbers as last season as far as ypc.

Now he did have 12 touchdowns his rookie season, but I don't see that being repeated because the Colts aren't going to hand Trent the ball 3 or 4 times in a row and hope he eventually pounds it in.

Trent is what he always was, a great college back, and a practice squad NFL back.

Naming him the starter right out of the gate was either meant to build him up and hope that did something for him, or because the front office is still unable to accept they got robbed by the lowly Browns.

Willie Parker used to get stuffed in the backfield repeatedly then break one for huge yards. Trent gets stuffed in the backfield repeatedly then breaks one for average yards.

If he needs a top 10 offensive line to be effective then he is a bust to the Colts because they are years from having that. Too many high dollar players to keep to bring in anyone good, and Grigson seems to be in no hurry to draft a decent line.