Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Williams Apologizes to Belichick for cheater comments

sweetsurrender

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11360008/cary-williams-philadelphia-eagles-leaves-preseason-game-new-england-patriots-hamstring-injury

Talk about doing 180. Wow. Williams met Belichick after the game last night and made the following comments. Wonder what made him back peddle so fast.

"I told him I was sorry for the words that I said. That was just out of pure emotion, sometimes you say things without really thinking about them," Williams said to ESPN.com after the game, which the Patriots won 42-35. "That was a situation where playing these guys in the playoffs [while Williams was with the Baltimore Ravens], you develop a hate for them and you try to use any type of anything to get your mind on, or get going. In that situation, I could have chosen my words a little bit wiser.

"But it's mutual respect between two men. We were able to come together. I told him that I was sorry and I have nothing but the utmost respect for the organization and him as a GM and a coach."

Williams was asked how Belichick responded to his remarks.

"He said there were no hard feelings and he said he appreciated the comments I made this week, and things like that," Williams said. "It was just two guys respecting each other, understanding that there is some history there. It's not necessarily bad blood but it's the spirit of competition. I said some things I wish I could take back."

Williams had been critical of the Eagles holding joint practices with the Patriots before Friday's preseason game, but changed his tune once he arrived here for three sessions with New England. 

"Tom Brady is a wonderful quarterback," Williams said earlier this week. "He's a guy that is definitely a true Hall of Famer. He's a great leader. Those guys are class acts. I've got a lot of respect for this organization, especially the players who play within it. I've always had respect for the guys. I just made a statement and that was that."

Probably the awe of meeting Bill in person and maybe trying to lobby for a future spot on the Pats. ;)

It probably was just emotion like he said. Glad he regrets it as the comments were ridiculous.

Or just saying the PC thing he was expected to say. You don't seem to understand that people say things in the spotlight that they are expected to say not how they really feel, like when u pointed to goodells comments in defense of spygate and Charlie Weiss. He was probably told to apologize and didn't gave much choice. Just like how I am sure bill is still offended for being called put

What the saints did didn't give them a competitive advantage

No?  Beating Favre to a pulp didn't affect anything?  Blindsighting Kurt Warner didn't change anything?  If it doesn't give you an advantage, then there's no point to doing it.  That was the whole point of it.  Knock out star opponents to make it easier for the Saints to win

No? Beating Favre to a pulp didn't affect anything? Blindsighting Kurt Warner didn't change anything? If it doesn't give you an advantage, then there's no point to doing it. That was the whole point of it. Knock out star opponents to make it easier for the Saints to win

Yeah but everyone is trying to do that, some more some less. If you're not hitting hard where you want to cause the other person pain and suffering then I don't want you on my defense. I wouldn't say it gave them a competitive advantage, more of a bonus for the same things I would want my defense doing. What's wrong with blindsiding the qb and trying to knock them out of the game?

No?  Beating Favre to a pulp didn't affect anything?  Blindsighting Kurt Warner didn't change anything?  If it doesn't give you an advantage, then there's no point to doing it.  That was the whole point of it.  Knock out star opponents to make it easier for the Saints to win

What made that whole thing stink to high heaven was how the Saints defensive players were told not to worry about fines, a clear indication that players were encouraged to not follow NFL rules. Purposely deviating from rules as a means to gain a competitive advantage stands as the textbook definition of "cheating". 

What made that whole thing stink to high heaven was how the Saints defensive players were told not to worry about fines, a clear indication that players were encouraged to not follow NFL rules. Purposely deviating from rules as a means to gain a competitive advantage stands as the textbook definition of "cheating". 

Yeah, i though bountygate was more criminal in nature and therefore a worse crime. It is cheating but in my book worse because players were being paid to injure. Just outside the bounds of humanity IMO.

That wasn't bashing. What he said was fact.

Perhaps "bash" wasn't the greatest word I could have used.  But to call another team out for cheating

Yeah but everyone is trying to do that, some more some less. If you're not hitting hard where you want to cause the other person pain and suffering then I don't want you on my defense. I wouldn't say it gave them a competitive advantage, more of a bonus for the same things I would want my defense doing. What's wrong with blindsiding the qb and trying to knock them out of the game?

There's a difference between hitting hard and trying to injure someone.  Lawrence Taylor was always trying to hit hard, but when he actually injured Joe Theismann, he was shocked

Perhaps "bash" wasn't the greatest word I could have used. But to call another team out for cheating

There's a difference between hitting hard and trying to injure someone. Lawrence Taylor was always trying to hit hard, but when he actually injured Joe Theismann, he was shocked

Trying to injure someone, while a scumbag thing to do, isn't against the rules, so it's not cheating.

You hit the nail right on the head, man.  The thing that annoyed me the most from everything was the ridiculous denial by Brees.  I lost a lot of respect for him because of it.  Williams admitted to it and there were audio recordings of team meetings where Williams discussed it, but Brees kept saying there was no evidence.

But anyway, back to the actual topic.  Cary Williams shouldn't have said anything in the first place.  At least he apologized for saying something stupid

That's a pretty weak Arguement. Nfl linemen hold to a certain extent all game sometimes every play but I wouldn't call that cheating just like I wouldn't illegal contact. This nam by pamby attitude is ruining the game.

Perhaps "bash" wasn't the greatest word I could have used. But to call another team out for cheating

There's a difference between hitting hard and trying to injure someone. Lawrence Taylor was always trying to hit hard, but when he actually injured Joe Theismann, he was shocked

So why do players hit hard? There's a reason they go for the big hit and it's not just for show, they all do it. When u go for a big hit the underlying goal is to knock them out of the game period. Not injure them like fall on a knee and tear an acl but make them leave the fame

You hit the nail right on the head, man.  The thing that annoyed me the most from everything was the ridiculous denial by Brees.  I lost a lot of respect for him because of it.  Williams admitted to it and there were audio recordings of team meetings where Williams discussed it, but Brees kept saying there was no evidence.

But anyway, back to the actual topic.  Cary Williams shouldn't have said anything in the first place.  At least he apologized for saying something stupid

My thoughts as well regarding Brees. I think he really let it affect his play as well last year especially the first half of the season.

Trying to injure someone, while a scumbag thing to do, isn't against the rules, so it's not cheating.

The added incentive of getting bonuses makes it a little murky, in my opinion.  It may not be against anything in the official NFL rulebook, but I think not trying to injure someone is one of those unspoken rules/common sense.  Football players talk all the time about making hard hits and intimidating the other team, but I don't think the guys want to injure someone else.

So why do players hit hard? There's a reason they go for the big hit and it's not just for show, they all do it. When u go for a big hit the underlying goal is to knock them out of the game period

There are many reasons why a big hit would be useful.  It can intimidate the opponent (see: all the Broncos WRs in the Super Bowl), cause fumbles, etc.  But they don't try to injure one another.  It's a sign of respect/common sense that you don't go out of your way to hurt someone

There are many reasons why a big hit would be useful. It can intimidate the opponent (see: all the Broncos WRs in the Super Bowl), cause fumbles, etc. But they don't try to injure one another. It's a sign of respect/common sense that you don't go out of your way to hurt someone

Why would u feel intimidated if you weren't fearful of getting hurt though?

They were effectively told to ignore rules, by way of reassurances that fines for said rule violations would be covered. i.e. encouraging your players to break rules IS cheating. Offering profit for said rule violations takes this thing to a whole new level. 

Spygate was more of a deviation from acceptable pre-game vetting practices. Cheating, yes, but not as deplorable and ultimately (potentially) impactful than removing a teams franchise QB by any means necessary, by the rules or no. 

The added incentive of getting bonuses makes it a little murky, in my opinion. It may not be against anything in the official NFL rulebook, but I think not trying to injure someone is one of those unspoken rules/common sense. Football players talk all the time about making hard hits and intimidating the other team, but I don't think the guys want to injure someone else.

Exactly. Most of these guys have morals and karma is a 5 letter word.

Your ignorance of Spygate is glaring through. Again.

Probably

Where's am football when I need her? She sends me messages to leave the forum and how she's the boss maybe she can tell u off for doing the same thing u did earlier that got a thread closed call people ignorant. I'm sure she doesn't chastise you privately like she does me even though you're ruder and a troll

They were effectively told to ignore rules, by way of reassurances that fines for said rule violations would be covered. i.e. encouraging your players to break rules IS cheating. 

Yes, that part is illegal. Attempting to injure someone is not. 

That is what the mafia does. Gets paid to injure.

UFC is for people to submit not to injure.

You realize if u don't submit you're arm gets broken and matches are ended by repeatedly punching someone in the face until their out cold

That would be getting hurt to a certain extent