Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Best Colts Player from every decade

Caleb3502

Who's the best Colts player from each decade: 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, 90', 00's, 10's (not many years into this decade though).  I'll list mine.  Sorry if this thread has already been done, I didn't see one but maybe there is I don't know.    

1950's: Gino Marchetti 

1960's: Johnny Unitas 

1970's: Bert Jones 

1980's: Duane Bickett 

1990's: Marshall Faulk 

2000's: Peyton Manning 

2010's: Andrew Luck (Decade isn't over yet so it might change)

Who's the best Colts player from each decade: 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, 90', 00's, 10's (not many years into this decade though).  I'll list mine.  Sorry if this thread has already been done, I didn't see one but maybe there is I don't know.    

Can't argue with any of it!

That is a hard list to beat!  It seems almost unfair we had Unitas, Jones, Manning, and now Luck.  And teams like the Cards or Bears go so long with mediocre QBs. 

A couple of thoughts.  Ray Donaldson might be up there with best player of the 80s.  He played the entire decade at a high level.  But Bickett was a monster too so no argument there.  Jeff Herrod might have been best of 90s.  Again, Faulk is so good no argument there.

Great list and post!

I pretty much agree with your list.

I agree with everything but I would put Dickerson ahead of Bickett. 

I feel like an * for asking, but whos duane bickett

Linebacker that was a Colt from 1985 to 1993 and had 7 interceptions and 30.5 sacks from '85 to '89, and was DROY in 1985.  He never played fewer than 12 games in a season and had 1,052 unofficial tackles credited to him by coaches.  Had 53 sacks and 9 interceptions in his career. 

90's Jeff Herrod

• Team Captain 1989-1998 (Appointed by former coach Ron MeyerTed MarchibrodaJim Mora and Lindy Infante.)
  • Defensive Player of the year 1989, 1990 and 1992
  • Jeff was Most Valuable Player 1991, Jeff also was the Single Game All-Time Leading Tackler (22)
  • He held the Single Season All-Time Leading Tackler (200)
  • All-Time Leading Tackler (1400)

I think you have to put 2 in for the 2000's -- Peyton and Marvin are both top 5 all time at their positions.  Peyton obviously was our team leader, but from 1999-2006 Marvin put together the best 8 consecutive years of any WR in NFL history (and it isn't even close -- Sterling Sharpe is the only player to near it, but he was hurt before he made it 8 NFL seasons unfortunately).  I was just looking at Marvin vs. Rice and Marvin had better per game numbers -- Rice played 113 more games than Marvin (~7 seasons), but Marvin averaged 5.8 receptions per game to Rice's 5.1 and Marvin averaged 76.7 yards/game to Rice's 75.6 yards/game -- Marvin also had 0.67 TDs/game to Rice's 0.65 TDs/game. 

Edge, if not for being injured in 2001, also had one of the best 7 year stretches from 1999-2005 of any RB in NFL history.

Of course, it will be known as Peyton's team, but I think the other 2 of the 'Big 3' need asterisks next to their names.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvin_Harrison -- it is pretty impressive, if you have time, to look at Marvin's NFL records as well as Edge's http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edgerrin_James --- unfortunately, knee injuries cut both their careers a little short and had negative impact on some of their seasons which were cut short or because they lost a step returning at the end of their careers.

90's Jeff Herrod

• Team Captain 1989-1998 (Appointed by former coach Ron MeyerTed MarchibrodaJim Mora and Lindy Infante.)
  • Defensive Player of the year 1989, 1990 and 1992
  • Jeff was Most Valuable Player 1991, Jeff also was the Single Game All-Time Leading Tackler (22)
  • He held the Single Season All-Time Leading Tackler (200)
  • All-Time Leading Tackler (1400)

This. I like this.

I feel like an * for asking, but whos duane bickett

He was a good player during the Lost Decade of Colts football. At times I can't believe the good fortune of having Manning and Luck back to back, but then I remember the many horrible teams during the Bob Irsay era and realize we deserved some good fortune.

I think you have to put 2 in for the 2000's -- Peyton and Marvin are both top 5 all time at their positions. Peyton obviously was our team leader, but from 1999-2006 Marvin put together the best 8 consecutive years of any WR in NFL history (and it isn't even close -- Sterling Sharpe is the only player to near it, but he was hurt before he made it 8 NFL seasons unfortunately). I was just looking at Marvin vs. Rice and Marvin had better per game numbers -- Rice played 113 more games than Marvin (~7 seasons), but Marvin averaged 5.8 receptions per game to Rice's 5.1 and Marvin averaged 76.7 yards/game to Rice's 75.6 yards/game -- Marvin also had 0.67 TDs/game to Rice's 0.65 TDs/game.

Edge, if not for being injured in 2001, also had one of the best 7 year stretches from 1999-2005 of any RB in NFL history.

Of course, it will be known as Peyton's team, but I think the other 2 of the 'Big 3' need asterisks next to their names.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvin_Harrison -- it is pretty impressive, if you have time, to look at Marvin's NFL records as well as Edge's http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edgerrin_James --- unfortunately, knee injuries cut both their careers a little short and had negative impact on some of their seasons which were cut short or because they lost a step returning at the end of their careers.

This

This

Marvin is 2nd all time in receptions per season, he "averaged 84.77 receptions per season, which is second to the all time record held by Sterling Sharpe who averaged 85 receptions per season. He had previously been averaging 93 per season until 2007, where he missed the majority of games with a knee injury, resulting in a 20 reception season."  -- I still cannot believe Marvin was not first ballot.

That is a hard list to beat! It seems almost unfair we had Unitas, Jones, Manning, and now Luck. And teams like the Cards or Bears go so long with mediocre QBs.

A couple of thoughts. Ray Donaldson might be up there with best player of the 80s. He played the entire decade at a high level. But Bickett was a monster too so no argument there. Jeff Herrod might have been best of 90s. Again, Faulk is so good no argument there.

Great list and post!

And imagine if Elway stayed.

Elway to Peyton to Andrew.