Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

You Can Only Pick 1

dn4192

HC, he's in over his head, has been from day one, in my opinion he wasn't qualified to start with and we had a team in place that didn't need a HC that needed training wheels. The HC & OC, are continually putting QB's in a bad position because they keep trying to run an offense that was cultivated by Manning over 13 years as opposed to trying to put in a package that would play to the strengths of the said quarterback. I'm also choosing the HC, since more times than not when a HC goes, the majority of the staff is shown the door as well.

Coyer's defense during his first year was different than what he has run since 93 went down in the Super Bowl. It seems like it magically shifted. The cushions that you see now weren't as large. It was more productive, it attacked more and the players seemed to like the change. I almost feel he's not being allowed to run the defense as he chooses. Just my opinion but I find Coyer more competent than Caldwell.

HC... Jim Caldwell has shown that he is a terrible coach as he can't win without his QB. All great coaches have survived without their star QB. Caldwell also shows no enthuism in the games, something that probably demotivates the players, and reduces the comeback possibility. I can go on for days about how much I hate him, but at the end of the day, he's not winning and if you can't win you can bet your behind you won't survive. He's a bad coach plus he can't win.

Okay if you could only fire the HC or the DC which one for the Colts gets the axe and why?

Good one DN. Okay if I could only pick one....Coyer has to go. I am no Caldwell fan but I can see the front office giving him a freebie with Manning being out for the duration of the season. Not that I agree that they should mind you but it seems like something our front office would do. Coyer could very well be the one offered up to save Caldwell's job. Caldwell to me is passable if he has Peyton. Colts went to playoffs in both of his previous years...not so much due to Caldwell but at least he didn't completely nullify the Peyton effect so to speak. Coyer on the other hand, has caused our defense to get progressively worse with each year he has been the coordinator. The secondary has gone from strength to liability and he has increased the space cushions that our DB's & LB's give in the Tampa 2 scheme. Keeping Caldwell is the lesser of the two evils so Coyer bites the bullet if it were up to me. Good topic.

Okay now I'm convinced that you are either Bill or Chris Polian and Irsay has told you that you have to fire one of them to save your job!

I am confused as to why anyone would think that Bill Polian or Chris Polian have to "save" their jobs? Bill has one of the top if not the top winning % as a GM in NFL history and Chris who many believe oversaw last years draft has shown he knows what he is doing. There is nothing to be saved.

Good one DN. Okay if I could only pick one....Coyer has to go. I am no Caldwell fan but I can see the front office giving him a freebie with Manning being out for the duration of the season. Not that I agree that they should mind you but it seems like something our front office would do. Coyer could very well be the one offered up to save Caldwell's job. Caldwell to me is passable if he has Peyton. Colts went to playoffs in both of his previous years...not so much due to Caldwell but at least he didn't completely nullify the Peyton effect so to speak. Coyer on the other hand, has caused our defense to get progressively worse with each year he has been the coordinator. The secondary has gone from strength to liability and he has increased the space cushions that our DB's & LB's give in the Tampa 2 scheme. Keeping Caldwell is the lesser of the two evils so Coyer bites the bullet if it were up to me. Good topic.

I think that is how it will go down, but I wonder if how you can blame the DC given he can only do what he can with the players he has been given. I also doubt a DC can go to the HC or GM and say, hey you guys gave me guys who can't play the system you want and thus I am going to switch the style we play.

I am confused as to why anyone would think that Bill Polian or Chris Polian have to "save" their jobs? Bill has one of the top if not the top winning % as a GM in NFL history and Chris who many believe oversaw last years draft has shown he knows what he is doing. There is nothing to be saved.

Yes everyone of us knows how you feel.( subject to change)

I think that is how it will go down, but I wonder if how you can blame the DC given he can only do what he can with the players he has been given. I also doubt a DC can go to the HC or GM and say, hey you guys gave me guys who can't play the system you want and thus I am going to switch the style we play.

You do have a point that our secondary talent has diminished since last year even. So who do you think is to blame for that? Can I get you to say Polian or his son? (I am not a Polian basher because he had done alot of good overall but he isn't perfect...no one is.)

Nevertheless, Coyer also has a track record of overseeing defenses whose performances regress over time particularly in the secondary. That was a big knock against him in Denver and one of the reasons why I was initially apprehensive of this hiring. That also plays into my opinion of Coyer. It's not just the players, he has a lot to do with it.

You do have a point that our secondary talent has diminished since last year even. So who do you think is to blame for that? Can I get you to say Polian or his son? (I am not a Polian basher because he had done alot of good overall but he isn't perfect...no one is.)

Nevertheless, Coyer also has a track record of overseeing defenses whose performances regress over time particularly in the secondary. That was a big knock against him in Denver and one of the reasons why I was initially apprehensive of this hiring. That also plays into my opinion of Coyer. It's not just the players, he has a lot to do with it.

No question there are some issues with talent acqusitions by both Polians and both have their work cut out to correct those issues, that is why I am not sure how much the DC can be blamed totally for the lack of defense production. I mean we don't know, Coyer could be telling both Caldwell nad Polian that a switch in style and players needs to happen and both are saying no, you do what we want the way we want it.

GM hires HC. HC hires DC. Therefore if I'm GM then I fire the HC and hire a new HC. My new HC fires Coyer and brings in a new DC. 2 birds..1 stone. :D

Which can happen unless your GM has say on who is on your staff which isn't out of the question especially with the Polians.

But if not given that option by your boss...who goes?

That's illogical. If you fire the head coach, he will almost certainly want to install his own coaching staff.

EDIT: However, if you insist, I fire the head coach, and allow him to hire his own defensive coordinator. Larry Coyer will remain on the staff, he just won't be doing anything.

I haven't fired him, so I've kept up with the rules set forth.

Ok you started this thread. We've chimed in with our thoughts. Now let us know who you would choose and why? :D

:stir:

You've been confused a lot lately. Huh, Bill?

Simple you have to fire the HC, when all is said and done the buck stops with him.

Can't really argue with that. LOL I actually like how Jason got rid of them both and still answered your question. It will be interesting to find out during the offseason if/how our front office addresses the situation.