Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Andy Reid.....

Dustin

Unless some type of miracle happens in Philly, then Andy Reid is out of there. It is almost assured that Caldwell will be gone if we go 0-16 or even 1-15. So what do you think of the idea of Andy Reid being hired as the coach of the Colts? He has a terrific track record of developing Quarterbacks and if we drafted Luck he would fall into an ideal situation. Any thoughts?

who did he develop?

Donovan McNabb, Kevin Kolb (that's debatable) and even helped turn Vick into a more efficient passer. Not to mention he was the assistant coach on the Green Bay Packers from 1992-99 (Favre). Jeff Garcia, AJ Feely (not spectacular but not awful.)

Exactly what has he done with all the talent he has had? 1 SB appearance...our present coach has done that and in fewer years...

5 NFC Championship games, 9 Playoff appearances and a SB appearance. Not to mention that he took a 3-13 team from obscurity to arguably one of the best teams in the NFC. (not this year though). Plus he wasn't handed a great team like Caldwell was.

Not that I would want Reid here, but lets not glorify Caldwell's Super Bowl appearance, when that was all Manning. Caldwell is the same chump that can't make adjustments during a game and has poor game management/ clock management decision making. Reid has similar issues with game management, if anything lets go with a defensive minded head coach... Mike Zimmer anyone?

Donovan McNabb, Kevin Kolb (that's debatable) and even helped turn Vick into a more efficient passer. Not to mention he was the assistant coach on the Green Bay Packers from 1992-99 (Favre). Jeff Garcia, AJ Feely (not spectacular but not awful.)

I thought Gruden was Favre's QB coach in GB, and you can have the others.

5 NFC Championship games, 9 Playoff appearances and a SB appearance. Not to mention that he took a 3-13 team from obscurity to arguably one of the best teams in the NFC. (not this year though). Plus he wasn't handed a great team like Caldwell was.

So lets see he can win the regular season but can't get the job done in the playoffs and this year is handed what many considered the most talented team and is what like 3-6?

Not that I would want Reid here, but lets not glorify Caldwell's Super Bowl appearance, when that was all Manning. Caldwell is the same chump that can't make adjustments during a game and has poor game management/ clock management decision making. Reid has similar issues with game management, if anything lets go with a defensive minded head coach... Mike Zimmer anyone?

Well I guess then last years GB SB win was all Rogers and the Packers coaching staff was along for the ride, as was Chuck Noll and his staff as it was the Steelers players who won that one and we all know Joe Montana carried that 49er staff and really was Jimmie Johnson that good or did he just did darn "lucky" in the draft with the cowboys because he really didn't do much in Miami as the Dolphins coach...

Says the guy who is trying to glorify the coach of a 0-10 team?

Well the Mighty Reid has all his talent and yet they are 3-6 and losing to teams like the Cards at home? If Caldwell had all his talent healthy and playing I bet they would be better then 3-6...

Unless some type of miracle happens in Philly, then Andy Reid is out of there. It is almost assured that Caldwell will be gone if we go 0-16 or even 1-15. So what do you think of the idea of Andy Reid being hired as the coach of the Colts? He has a terrific track record of developing Quarterbacks and if we drafted Luck he would fall into an ideal situation. Any thoughts?

The way this front office and owner is acting, seems like they are just gonna do nothing. I like Jim Irsay but really we are having daily tweeting contest acting like all is well, Bill Polian is just blowing smoke up the fans buts and treating us joe fans that things could'nt be better just a play or two here and there and were are right in it. I just don't know what to think, but something is askew. The bye week is here a perfect time to make somr sort of change, my lord at least the special teams could be changed, waterboy, usher for gods sake show us you guys are still awake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!So speculating on anything at this point is silly,because I truly feel at this point the fans are the only one concerned.

What talent? Peyton? All of our talent is playing. Mathis, Freeny, Bethea, Wayne, Saturday. Who exactly are we missing besides Peyton?

Our offensive line has been banged up all season, we are missing defensive backs, out team leader on Defense is gone for the season and JA has been out hurt.

The way this front office and owner is acting, seems like they are just gonna do nothing. I like Jim Irsay but really we are having daily tweeting contest acting like all is well, Bill Polian is just blowing smoke up the fans buts and treating us joe fans that things could'nt be better just a play or two here and there and were are right in it. I just don't know what to think, but something is askew. The bye week is here a perfect time to make somr sort of change, my lord at least the special teams could be changed, waterboy, usher for gods sake show us you guys are still awake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!So speculating on anything at this point is silly,because I truly feel at this point the fans are the only one concerned.

If you were GM, what would you be saying to the Press about the present situation of the team you ran?

So lets see he can win the regular season but can't get the job done in the playoffs and this year is handed what many considered the most talented team and is what like 3-6?

One super bowl and playoffs, that is the core of every caldwell post you make.coo-coo...coo-coo, flip-flop

If you were GM, what would you be saying to the Press about the present situation of the team you ran?

Tampa guy, I believe I would start with the truth. You can only nonsense and spin doctor to your customers for so long and the fans are the customers and educated ones at that. Take yourself as exhibit A you get on here and mascarade as a real fan, not a joe fan but a real fan,And we have all figured out that you basically just troll and agitate people, so see you can only fool people for so long.

Our offensive line has been banged up all season, we are missing defensive backs, out team leader on Defense is gone for the season and JA has been out hurt.

We had those same injuries the 2009 Season, but went to the Superbowl. So if Caldwell can do it in 09 than why can't he do it this season? Peyton is the reason for our success and not Caldwell. I think this season is testament enough for that.

As I said, "he was the assistant coach on the Green Bay Packers from 1992-99"

O.K., but what does that have to do with any influence on Favre?

At least Caldwell ACTUALLY WAS Manning's QB coach.

I'm not backing either. I just don't think Favre should be credited to Reid.

Also, though it could happen, I hear nothing that suggests Reid will be out in Philly, as you suggest.

Media speculates, and I'm sure Philly fans scream, but those two things don't equate to reality.

We had those same injuries the 2009 Season, but went to the Superbowl. So if Caldwell can do it in 09 than why can't he do it this season? Peyton is the reason for our success and not Caldwell. I think this season is testament enough for that.

Peyton IS the reason for our success, but not just because he's great, but the whole team was built around him, and that includes the defense. ST are just a byproduct of the players brought in as back ups. ST coaching plays into that as well.

I'm not a Caldwell backer or hater, but not having Peyton, and Peyton being the reason for our success doesn't necessarily mean that Caldwell is a bad coach. They are not necessarily related things.

As time goes on though, I do think Caldwell may be a fish out of water, but I think the demise of this team, this year, is more attributed to the lack of quality in our back ups, and almost exclusively Painter. The TOs, and on-side kick issues I don't care about, when it comes to Caldwell. The halftime adjustments (or lack thereof) do concern me, but even that can be attributed to the lack of a quality (not great, but decent) QB running the offense this year.

Tampa guy, I believe I would start with the truth. You can only nonsense and spin doctor to your customers for so long and the fans are the customers and educated ones at that. Take yourself as exhibit A you get on here and mascarade as a real fan, not a joe fan but a real fan,And we have all figured out that you basically just troll and agitate people, so see you can only fool people for so long.

You would be the first ever in the NFL, which isn't a bad thing, but there are zero teams in any sport that tells the truth to their fans about the state of their team.

I am what I would consider a casual fan. I watch the games on sunday, I read a few articles in the paper and on line. I have no grasp of the day to day operations of a profession football team nor do I sit and listen to everything that our owner says, tweets or such and I could care less what Bill Polian thinks. I believe in allowing those with proven track records to fix issues when they arise and that a coach isn't as good as fans think they are or as bad as they think they are. I just sit back and watch the game.

Not that we will sign him, but Andy Reid would be a huge upgrade for what we currently have in place, but that could be said for nearly any name thrown out there.

Also, though it could happen, I hear nothing that suggests Reid will be out in Philly, as you suggest.

Media speculates, and I'm sure Philly fans scream, but those two things don't equate to reality.

As I said, "he was the assistant coach on the Green Bay Packers from 1992-99"

Here is some background on Reid:

From the 2010 Philadelphia Eagles Media Guide

Climbing the Coaching Ladder:

Reid enjoyed a two-year stint as the Packers quarterbacks coach,

working with Brett Favre from 1997-98. Reid took over that role

after Marty Mornhinweg departed to become San Francisco's offensive

coordinator under Steve Mariucci, the original quarterbacks

coach on Holmgren's staff.

In 1997, Green Bay won its 2nd straight NFC crown and Favre

garnered league MVP honors for the third consecutive season.

Prior to tutoring Green Bay's quarterbacks, Reid oversaw the tight

ends, while assisting offensive line coach Tom Lovat. Under Reid's

watch, Mark Chmura and Keith Jackson earned trips to the Pro

Bowl.

It was in his first years with Green Bay that Holmgren urged

Reid to learn the entire offensive system, not just the roles of the

offensive line and tight ends. "It was his curiosity, the questions

he would ask, his note taking," said Holmgren. "He was just a

sponge."

In fact, Holmgren placed the "supervisory" tag on Reid in 1996

to prevent NFL clubs from hiring him as anything other than a

head coach unless given permission.

Gruden was an offensive assistant his first year in Green Bay and coached Wide Receivers the next two years before leaving to be OC in Philly.

Not that we will sign him, but Andy Reid would be a huge upgrade for what we currently have in place, but that could be said for nearly any name thrown out there.

Here is some background on Reid:

Gruden was an offensive assistant his first year in Green Bay and coached Wide Receivers the next two years before leaving to be OC in Philly.

Thanks Fire.

I stand corrected on that issue.

Google is your friend. Google is your friend. Google is your friend.

@DN- You are very circumstantial with your rebuttal as you are with alot of your spiels, especially your spiel about Luck, its either your way or no way. Funny I remember when I had my first beer. If you think Caldwell has anything to do with the Colts success since his tenure you sir are not thinking logically or are being naive. Peyton has carried this team the last decade, he really is that good. For you to think Caldwell has anything to do with that or muff about Green Bay is just absurd. Capers had that defense playing great football, Mike McCarthy trusted in and decided to run the football with a rookie, something they lacked all last year (run game), until the playoffs. Tell me something Caldwell has done well since being the head coach? Pull players when the Colts were undefeated? Repeatedly make bad time management decisions? Fail to make in game adjustments? Don't go even further back to the 49ers and then the cowboys, your just really making yourself look ridiculous.

@DN- You are very circumstantial with your rebuttal as you are with alot of your spiels, especially your spiel about Luck, its either your way or no way. Funny I remember when I had my first beer. If you think Caldwell has anything to do with the Colts success since his tenure you sir are not thinking logically or are being naive. Peyton has carried this team the last decade, he really is that good. For you to think Caldwell has anything to do with that or muff about Green Bay is just absurd. Capers had that defense playing great football, Mike McCarthy trusted in and decided to run the football with a rookie, something they lacked all last year (run game), until the playoffs. Tell me something Caldwell has done well since being the head coach? Pull players when the Colts were undefeated? Repeatedly make bad time management decisions? Fail to make in game adjustments? Don't go even further back to the 49ers and then the cowboys, your just really making yourself look ridiculous.

I have said from the start I don't know if he is a good coach or not, and there is no one on this forum that has enough information to make that call. What I have said is that I trust the mag't of this team to know and make the right call and whatever call they make I will support becuase they have the information and track record that shows they know what they are doing.

Thanks Fire.

I stand corrected on that issue.

Google is your friend. Google is your friend. Google is your friend.

No problem. I thought Gruden was a QB coach there for a year or two as well.. I knew Mooch was to start with, and I knew that Holmgren was his own OC up until his final years in Seattle.

Any of those guys even Moringweigh would be an upgrade over Caldwell, mainly because the WCO would be a welcomed change.

I am what I would consider a casual fan. I watch the games on sunday, I read a few articles in the paper and on line. I have no grasp of the day to day operations of a profession football team nor do I sit and listen to everything that our owner says, tweets or such and I could care less what Bill Polian thinks. I believe in allowing those with proven track records to fix issues when they arise and that a coach isn't as good as fans think they are or as bad as they think they are. I just sit back and watch the game.

I wish you were what I would consider a casual BLOGGER. If you are casual fan, then why in the blank do you stalk and attack every single post.And I MEAN EVERY THREAD!

Reid is fine. He needs a D coordinator, though. I don't think he's the big issue in Philly.

Let's do an analysis here...if Reid isn't the problem (which I agree he isn't entirely) then...

...If Bill Cowher were the head coach from the beginning of the year would their record be considerably better, worse, or the same? Give a stat...I'd say they'd have HALF the losses they have now and those would be in the WIN column.

What exactly ARE the problems then?

I mean, a coaches job (good coach) is to get the BEST out of each player, mediocre or not...and Reid isn't doing that...plain and simple in my book.

Who and when was developed?

No thanks.

Amusingly the complaints levied against Reid on Philly sports radio (time management, play calling, side-line demeanor, press conference behavior) sound remarkably similar to the complaints levied here against Caldwell. I used to hear the same thing from multiple former co-workers as well. He will stick with his west-coast offense and pass the ball an absurd % of the time regardless of whether it fits the available personnel or the situation on the field. Even the fans that support him aren't all that loud in defending his decisions.

Plus Reid is also responsible for personnel decisions, something that we don't need (and that I don't want). Is he going to be willing to step backwards, because I can't see the Polians going anywhere.

And what does it say about him that he decided to build his team around Vick - someone that I detest, not just as a person but as a QB. Just an absurd decision which is becoming more of a problem every game. What does it say that he drafted a prima-dona wide receiver whose attitude damages the entire franchise (held out until got more money, forced to sit out a recent game because of refusing to go to two team meetings. A mouth big enough for both feet.) He willingly acquired Terrell Owens a few years back which became even more of a circus. What does it say that he sank a fortune in acquiring one of the best group of cornerbacks seen in football in years, but he can't figure out how to use them successfully. It might have something to do with his insane decision to promote his 13 year vet oline coach to defensive co-ordinator. Huh?

No thanks. The grass is NOT always greener.

Sadly, you're right. As much as I want Reid gone, I'd be shocked if they pulled the trigger. He'll get at least 1 more season, as I'm sure the lockout will be used as an excuse. Juan Castillo may get fired, but at this point, I doubt Reid will.