Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Miami Analyst Says Luck If Colts’ Not Draft Him. Likely Cost You Multiple First- And Second-Round Picks.

If the Colts do decide to take Luck, then I would love to do this trade. In my opinion, we either need to go all-in for Luck or all-in for Manning. Keeping both on the roster hurts both QB's chances of success for the next few years, simply because each player could fetch us a lot of valuable draft picks to fill holes in the roster. We need help everywhere, and it wouldn't be fair to either QB to keep both on the roster.

If we decide to stick with Peyton, then we would need to trade the #1 pick and use that to refill the roster for one final run. By giving Peyton extra weapons and helping the D, he could help us rebound instantly and become a legit Super Bowl contender. On the other hand, if we decide to take Luck, then the quicker that we fully invest in his future, the quicker we will rebuild and become a contender again. He needs to start from Day 1, and using extra picks to shore up the O-Line, give him a young new WR or RB, and improving the D will make the whole team better and increase Luck's odds of succeeding here in Indy.

With that being said, if we decide to take Luck then let's trade Peyton to Miami. We wouldn't get as much value as we could for Luck, but if they really wanted Manning (which is debatable) than trading for their Top-3 overall pick would be amazing. We could either keep that pick and draft Kalil or Blackmon, helping out Luck immensely. Or we could trade down and pick up more extra picks. Either way, this would be the best way to help out Luck and improve his chances of succeeding and living up to the hype. Although I'm not sure Miami would give us that much for Manning, if they would then I'm all for it.

IMO I say we ride and die with guy who has given us so much to watch for each Sunday. I think we should draft Luck and see what we can get for him. There are no garuntees in this league, everybody seems to be putting all their eggs in one basket. Sure Luck seems to be the sexy pick right now, but who really knows. I say we ride it out with Peyton and keep our eyes open for someone like Andy Daulton. I thought thats the guy we should have taken last year. I think our real problem lies with our D and Larry Coyer, we need to get rid of his butt!!

Andrew luck will NOT sit behind anyone i promise you that. No numero uno draft pick sits behind anyone. So everyone needs to put that theory to rest!

I think you will find yourself to be incorrect in about 9 months. I don't know that I have an opinion of what would be right, but I have a feeling that Luck will be learnging from Manning in 2012/2013

If Manning is healthy, I say trade the pick. We are competitive for SB the next four years but get young, blue chip talent in as well. Its a win-win situation. Drafting Luck means being bad for 3-4 years.

uh...not neccessarily,with Peyton back and a few tweeks they are right back in playoff contention.Lucks sits a couple years,Colt's trade Manning for more picks.

I would be exstatic if the Dolphins came to the Colts in the offseason and were prepared to offer their 2012 1st round pick for Peyton!!!

I think this team is closer to rebuilding than contending for a title these next couple of years, so it makes more sense to get a young QB for the future.

If we get Luck, then take someone like LT Matt Kalil making this OL STUD, then use the rest of the draft on defense and another WR, we will be turning this team around sooner rather than later.

Guys I want us to target in rounds 2-7 include SS Mark Barron, NT Dontari Poe, NT Brandon Thompson, CB Casey Hayward, OLB Sean Spence, and WR Kendall Wright

I would not be dissapointed with Barkley either.If some team is going to get stupid and we get a QB like Barkley and a boattload of picks you have to consider that strongly.

There are some so called analysts that like Barkely better, this is a string QB draft I read

Seriously people come on. Please name me 1 number 1 overall player that sat for any amount of time. All im asking for is 1. Its not going to happen. We are either gonna draft luck and trade peyton(please god, NO) or we are gonna trade this pick for a kings ransom. Look at Andy Dalton. He's a 2nd round pick. Thats right 2nd rounder. And he has started since DAY 1. Thats how the h3LL i know. The most hyped QB since probably the modern day draft and you people honestly think he is gonna sit for any amount of time SMH.

you know WHY you cant think of any other #1 pick QBs who have sat for any amount of time? Because NONE of them have gone to a team in the situation that WE are in right now. NONE of them have gone to a team that has been at the top every single year but the one that they got the #1, and also had the best QB to ever play the game, working to come back to the team the following year. The reason THIS situation can be different from every other #1 pick in the history of the NFL is because the circumstances are VERY different from any other set in league history!

Most every team picking a QB at #1 has a bad enough record to pick #1 because they do not have a decent QB on their roster...where as we DO, assuming that Manning comes back healthy and plays out his contract. Assuming that he does, then we KNOW that we have a QB for the next 4 years that is able to lead a team to the super bowl...vs if we draft Luck, we MIGHT have a QB that can do that in a few years, and by the time he MIGHT be able to lead us there, he will probably not have a window much bigger than 7yrs (Even Peyton, the best to ever play, wasnt able to be a yearly playoff leader for his first few years).

So, would you rather have 4 years that you know you can have a shot at a super bowl, or 7yrs that you "MAYBE have a shot, if the QB turns out to be as good as we hope"

The type of players and draft picks we could get by trading the #1 would only make Peyton's chances that much stronger.

And to all of the people who scream that he should retire...you're probably the same group that were screaming that Austin Collie would face certain doom if he didnt retire, also!

Seriously people come on. Please name me 1 number 1 overall player that sat for any amount of time. All im asking for is 1. Its not going to happen. We are either gonna draft luck and trade peyton(please god, NO) or we are gonna trade this pick for a kings ransom. Look at Andy Dalton. He's a 2nd round pick. Thats right 2nd rounder. And he has started since DAY 1. Thats how the h3LL i know. The most hyped QB since probably the modern day draft and you people honestly think he is gonna sit for any amount of time SMH.

Okay, Carson Palmer sat his entire rookie year. As in, didn't play one down.

Jamarcus Russell didn't start until week 17 his rookie season

Eli Manning didn't start until week 11 his rookie season

Carson Palmer didn't start until week 1 of his 2nd year

Michael Vick only started 2 games his rookie season

Thats one player who sat his entire rookie season, and then he started year two! Everyone else from that very small list played their first year. How do you propose the scenario where the guy who is more hyped and better rated out of college is going to sit multiple years behind Manning and that is better for both the team and the individual???

Everyone for Luck has the same arugment, keep Manning and Luck, you can't do that, you have to be all in with one or the other! This isn't the same scenario as Green Bay with Favre and Rodgers, so I don't get why everyone assumes that can be done here. This team has alot of holes, and the cap room is not their to have both players on the Roster and acquire the needed pieces to fill the voids to win a Super Bowl!

Everyone for Luck has the same arugment, keep Manning and Luck, you can't do that, you have to be all in with one or the other! This isn't the same scenario as Green Bay with Favre and Rodgers, so I don't get why everyone assumes that can be done here. This team has alot of holes, and the cap room is not their to have both players on the Roster and acquire the needed pieces to fill the voids to win a Super Bowl!

Dont look now, but you are assuming that they wont have both, even though it has been reported that Peyton is fine with it, Polian is fine with it. Like I said before, who know? But its fun to discuss the possibility!

I am only assuming logic says you either trade the pick and rebuild with Luck, and use that extra cap room for Manning to do things with the team or you trade the pick for a bounty of picks and possibly players to rebuild both short and long term. You have to be all in with one or the other, Peyton and Polian talked about taking a quaterback and the possibilities, that could also mean a trade down, and taking Barkley second or third overall...

I am only assuming logic says you either trade the pick and rebuild with Luck, and use that extra cap room for Manning to do things with the team or you trade the pick for a bounty of picks and possibly players to rebuild both short and long term. You have to be all in with one or the other, Peyton and Polian talked about taking a quaterback and the possibilities, that could also mean a trade down, and taking Barkley second or third overall...

They talked about taking a Quarterback in the first round according to the source. That narrows it down. But I agree, so many options here. I wont dismiss trading down and taking Barkley for picks as a viable option IF you know 100 PERCENT Peyton will be healthy. If not, I see no reason in the world why they shouldnt draft Luck if Peyton is still not right.

Then we better pray that Luck turns into one of the greatest QBs to ever play given how dependent this team is on the QB.

Exactly. Thats my problem with drafting luck. Most teams when they draft the number 1 pick are looking for a multiple time all pro and maybe HOF which are high expectations already. The colts would expect him to be the 2nd best QB ever. Only behind Manning. Those are immensely high expectations to put on one man.

For the people who say "we can not afford to have Manning AND Luck, cap-wise" that is just WRONG...Collins + Painter + Orlovski make MORE than Luck will under his rookie contract. If this had happened a few years ago, before the new CBA, then you would be right...but now that the mega contracts for rookies are a thing of the past, it most certainly CAN happen.

With that said, i'm one of the people who believes that we should be "all in" with Peyton and trade Luck. With Manning, (assuming he is healthy and plays out his contract) we KNOW we have a guy who can compete for a super bowl for the next 4yrs straight...with Luck, we HOPE that within 4 years he can compete for a spot in the playoffs...but we just dont know if he'll be that good or not...not to mention that by the time he MIGHT be, the rest of our team (Freeney, Mathis, Clark, Addai...not to mention that Garcon, Collie etc will be in their 7th or 8th seasons)...but if we TRADE the pick, we can give Peyton a better supporting cast than he's probably ever had here...and at the same time, build back the team with players that will still be around for Manning's successor.

It's not like Luck is the last good QB prospect to come to the NFL, and not even a sure thing that he will be the best of this draft class. I say that if Peyton is healthy, we put our money on the known instead of the unknown...maximize our chances for championships while rebuilding the rest of the team at the same time...assuming that Peyton plays out his 4yrs, we will have other chances for a QB...and it does not have to be a #1 pick...look at Dalton with the Bengals...he wasnt even close to being the #1 pick...and neither was Rodgers, Brees, Brady, Roethlisberger etc etc

Thats one player who sat his entire rookie season, and then he started year two! Everyone else from that very small list played their first year. How do you propose the scenario where the guy who is more hyped and better rated out of college is going to sit multiple years behind Manning and that is better for both the team and the individual???

Yeah, you just asked for one example. So you are given one example and then you claim that one example doesn't prove anything. Great arguing tactic.

Seriously people come on. Please name me 1 number 1 overall player that sat for any amount of time. All im asking for is 1. Its not going to happen.

"sat for any amount of time"

@ Cantbestopped +1

Thats one player who sat his entire rookie season, and then he started year two! Everyone else from that very small list played their first year.

"sat for any amount of time" is what you were agreeing with.

Yeah, you just asked for one example. So you are given one example and then you claim that one example doesn't prove anything. Great arguing tactic.

LOL. i don't know why it is so hard for someone to just say they were wrong.

Let's be honest.......... Peyton is NOT a lock to come back

He has been an awesome player, but legacy itself cannot take snaps and play at a high level in the NFL.

Even though it was a different surgery I can remember when Bert Jone had a rotater cuff issue.

He was a shell of the former self.

I hope Manning is 100%

But....

He will be 36 in the fall. Many / most QBs are hanging up the cleats by now.

He has had THREE surgeries. The first TWO didn't cut it.

Though he is a legend, he can't play forever.

Unfortunately the odds are against him playing at the same level he was at before.

I hope I'm wrong, but I really think the Manning era is really over in Indy.

The 28 million roster bonus is too risky

@Ky and Husker- Incorrect, I agreed with the notion of the #1 overall pick sitting for YEARS! I am not the one who asked for an example, therefore my counter proved exactly what I agreed with, a #1 is not sitting for years. So great argument tactic on your part, assuming you know my viewpoint. Go read any thread where I post abotu this topic, I am saying it is not logical for him to sit YEARS under Manning, Get your facts straight!

Where does it say I agreed with sat for any amount of time. Interestingly it doesn't say that!

"Seriously people come on. Please name me 1 number 1 overall player that sat for any amount of time. All im asking for is 1. Its not going to happen. We are either gonna draft luck and trade peyton(please god, NO) or we are gonna trade this pick for a kings ransom. Look at Andy Dalton. He's a 2nd round pick. Thats right 2nd rounder. And he has started since DAY 1. Thats how the h3LL i know. The most hyped QB since probably the modern day draft and you people honestly think he is gonna sit for any amount of time SMH."

Thats the whole quote, I could have agreed with any one part of that and said +1.

Where does it say I agreed with sat for any amount of time. Interestingly it doesn't say that!

"Seriously people come on. Please name me 1 number 1 overall player that sat for any amount of time. All im asking for is 1. Its not going to happen. We are either gonna draft luck and trade peyton(please god, NO) or we are gonna trade this pick for a kings ransom. Look at Andy Dalton. He's a 2nd round pick. Thats right 2nd rounder. And he has started since DAY 1. Thats how the h3LL i know. The most hyped QB since probably the modern day draft and you people honestly think he is gonna sit for any amount of time SMH."

Thats the whole quote, I could have agreed with any one part of that and said +1.

Dalton wasnt supposed to start from Day one, they had no choice when Carson Palmer holds the team hostage. Not an example at all there.

Exactly. Thats my problem with drafting luck. Most teams when they draft the number 1 pick are looking for a multiple time all pro and maybe HOF which are high expectations already. The colts would expect him to be the 2nd best QB ever. Only behind Manning. Those are immensely high expectations to put on one man.

Those expectations are only put on him because of how dependent this team is on Manning. Since this team is so built around Manning are success goes with his success and without him we turn into a potential 0-16 team. To take a rookie and go "well our team is terrible without amazing QB play so you better tear it up right away or we are going to be bad" is just playing with fire. Lets say Luck is not one of the greatest, but still is a very good QB like Eli Manning this team is still going to struggle given how it has been constructed over the years.

I just pray Manning is 100% healthy, we trade the pick, have a great draft and start to construct a more well rounded team so a rookie or second year QB is not taking over a team that is so dependent on the QB.

Those expectations are only put on him because of how dependent this team is on Manning. Since this team is so built around Manning are success goes with his success and without him we turn into a potential 0-16 team. To take a rookie and go "well our team is terrible without amazing QB play so you better tear it up right away or we are going to be bad" is just playing with fire. Lets say Luck is not one of the greatest, but still is a very good QB like Eli Manning this team is still going to struggle given how it has been constructed over the years.

I just pray Manning is 100% healthy, we trade the pick, have a great draft and start to construct a more well rounded team so a rookie or second year QB is not taking over a team that is so dependent on the QB.

I agree with that, Show....but if it works out that Peyton can't return, I'd prefer Luck because if Peyton is gone from the scene we will need patience while the front office rebuilds the roster no matter who is at QB. And under a scenario of Peyton being gone, having a rookie QB that is somewhat 'pro-ready" is IMO better than a longer term project....because if we're rebuilding, we're gonna be loaded with a bunch of kids on our roster as it is.

You're 1000% right on the point that the Colts HAVE to be a better balanced team regardless also, of who the QB is next year and beyond.

In taking Andrew Luck and with Castonzo, Ijalana and Carter on board, and perhaps a 2nd or 3rd round selection of a top OG prospect and Pollak slid over to OC....we will have laid the foundation of the offense with what I hope is a better ability to run the ball. And I'm also convinced that several WRs can be had with mid-round selections much like we got Austin Collie....and mid-rounders like Denarius Moore who the Raiders took last year.

Again....Peyton's health dictates 99% of this and the wait continues.

But any scenario without Peyton will require a ton of patience on our part....and as we can see, it won't be fixed overnight.