Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

WR's

ColtsFanMikeC

I haven't heard much about the WR competition in camp -- Phil Savage tweeted "WR Reggie Wayne is doing great in ACL return, while Da'Rick Rogers has some "freakish" physical traits and TY Hilton just makes "plays"!" ---- which is the first I've heard about Rogers in a while.

Sounds like Wayne is back to his old self and Moncrief is impressing the coaches -- have heard very little about Nicks, Rogers, Whalen, and any of the UDFA's -- has anyone else heard anything on this front?

I'm guessing our definite 4 at WR are Wayne, TY, Nicks, Moncrief -- and I'm not sure if we will keep 5 or 6 -- but I am interested to know how the competition for the last spot or 2 is going.

I haven't heard much about the WR competition in camp -- Phil Savage tweeted "WR Reggie Wayne is doing great in ACL return, while Da'Rick Rogers has some "freakish" physical traits and TY Hilton just makes "plays"!" ---- which is the first I've heard about Rogers in a while.

Sounds like Wayne is back to his old self and Moncrief is impressing the coaches -- have heard very little about Nicks, Rogers, Whalen, and any of the UDFA's -- has anyone else heard anything on this front?

I'm guessing our definite 4 at WR are Wayne, TY, Nicks, Moncrief -- and I'm not sure if we will keep 5 or 6 -- but I am interested to know how the competition for the last spot or 2 is going.

hope we don't have to cut a good one

Per camp reports:

Rogers has been the least impressive of the group. He still has issues with route running. He's had some good days though.

Whalen catches everything. When Reggie has been resting, he's been put in with the 1st team.

Luck and Nicks are developing better timing with every practice.

Moncrief is going to be great.

If you were to read Josh Wilson's daily practice reports over at stampedeblue.com, he talks a lot about the WRs.

I think they are going to keep them all! Some of them will play special teams!

Rogers was playing as gunner the other day and looked great doing it.

But if anyone is cut it will probably be Whalen but I seriously do not think any will be cut.

Brazill made the decision for the team.

1. Reggie

2. TY

3. Nicks

4. Moncrief

5. Rogers

6. Whalen

Hopefully it's Whalen who is cut if they keep 5 wide receivers.

Not going to  be Whalen he get's first team reps when the starters get a break or a little banged up . He's had a great camp as well it'll be Rogers if we cut anyone .

Y'all turned on Rogers fast. Remember the Whalen that looked not so good in real game action? We already know the kid plays well in practice.

Im still a big Rodgers fan (I like Whalen more) and he looked good in practice when I saw. I think alot of people are turning on him off the one tweet the first day where he looked sluggish. Hes shown hustle lately though after hes been yelled at.

Posted Today, 12:52 AM

Y'all turned on Rogers fast. Remember the Whalen that looked not so good in real game action? We already know the kid plays well in practice.

I was high on Rogers till I saw him play last year dropping passes running the wrong routes rounding his cuts off just looked like he had a lot to work on figured it would be a few years until he was near his potential . If he reaches his potential he can be a star but same was said for DHB . I hope we keep all 6 if possible . Whalen looked way better than Rogers on the field last season he made a lot of plays not flashy but he moved the chains .

Posted Today, 12:52 AM

I was high on Rogers till I saw him play last year dropping passes running the wrong routes rounding his cuts off just looked like he had a lot to work on figured it would be a few years until he was near his potential . If he reaches his potential he can be a star but same was said for DHB . I hope we keep all 6 if possible . Whalen looked way better than Rogers on the field last season he made a lot of plays not flashy but he moved the chains .

I feel that is an unfair comparison. Nobody ever questioned DHB's route running, he just couldn't catch the ball. Rogers has hands, he just needs to improve his concentration and discipline.

I think we keep all 6.  We knew Rogers was going to be a project when we brought him in.  There is a reason there are references to 3 yr rule when referring to WRs.  I think we have had quite a few come in and produce immediately the past couple years and people have forgot that this isn't typical ... especially for lower round/UDFA WR's. 

I think we keep all 6.  We knew Rogers was going to be a project when we brought him in.  There is a reason there are references to 3 yr rule when referring to WRs.  I think we have had quite a few come in and produce immediately the past couple years and people have forgot that this isn't typical ... especially for lower round/UDFA WR's.

Agreed

Conrad Brunner said Ryan Lankford has been very imprressive... 

He is one of his "sleepers" to make the team.

I was thinking a few weeks ago our 6 might be:

1)Wayne

2) TY

3) Nicks

4) Moncrief

5) Rogers

6) Lankford

Lankford was a freak of a return man in college -- he is an amazing athlete. I like Whalen, he is reliable and consistent but I always felt like guys like Lankford could play the same role as a WR (maybe a little more upside and explosiveness) and be an improvement as a returner.  That said, it's really difficult to want to get rid of a guy like Whalen who you know what you'll get from every time, especially if you are talking about replacing him with an uncertainty that may have bigger upside or more big play potential but  may very well miss a lot more plays, too.

I was thinking a few weeks ago our 6 might be:

1)Wayne

2) TY

3) Nicks

4) Moncrief

5) Rogers

6) Lankford

Lankford was a freak of a return man in college -- he is an amazing athlete. I like Whalen, he is reliable and consistent but I always felt like guys like Lankford could play the same role as a WR (maybe a little more upside and explosiveness) and be an improvement as a returner. That said, it's really difficult to want to get rid of a guy like Whalen who you know what you'll get from every time, especially if you are talking about replacing him with an uncertainty that may have bigger upside or more big play potential but may very well miss a lot more plays, too.

Lankford was waived 3 days after signing with the Fins, a WR needy team, as a UDFA. If he does show he has potential he's a good PS candidate. Barring any major events, he has almost 0 chance to make the team straight up.

Per camp reports:

Rogers has been the least impressive of the group. He still has issues with route running. He's had some good days though.

Whalen catches everything. When Reggie has been resting, he's been put in with the 1st team.

Luck and Nicks are developing better timing with every practice.

Moncrief is going to be great.

Whalen caught everything in camp last year too. Then he was cut.

I hope they keep all six.

The absolute only way Rogers would be cut is if he got in trouble again. The kid has too much potential to be cut. Bank on it.

I'd rather keep Whalen over Rogers.

Rogers is definitely "freakish" athlete. Been hearing he have the blazing speed and physical abilities that allow him blow past the defense. Don't be surprise if the Colts cut him and he is picked up by Browns and become the next Josh Gordon.

Whalen = Training camp all American

Well what he equals is a player who had 2 drops last year out of 40 targets(that's only a 5% drop rate...along with a 60% catch rate according to Sporting Charts.....That's the same as Jimmy Graham, Andre Johnson, And Better then Alshon Jeffery, Coby Fleener, Victor Cruz, T.Y. Hilton   ) and a solid Returner, Griff is better then what some are willing to give him credit for......Now does he have the athletic talents of those players named? No but he is also no slouch in that area if you look at his combine #'s...He only played in 25.2 % of the teams total offensive snaps as well out 1071 offensive snaps....Although NFL..com has the Colts at 1023 scrimmage plays so cant really speak on the validity of Sporting Charts #s

Lankford was waived 3 days after signing with the Fins, a WR needy team, as a UDFA. If he does show he has potential he's a good PS candidate. Barring any major events, he has almost 0 chance to make the team straight up.

I imagine Lankford will wind up on P.S. as well, but I won't be shocked if he cracks the roster.  He is a speedster and was a very good KR in college (I think he averaged over 27 yards/return) -- chances are, IMO, if we keep 6 WR the 6th (and probably 5th) WRs are not going to see the field very often unless there are injuries -- their main roles will be on ST's and as emergency depth -- that is where Lankford has a shot is if he shows he can be a much more dynamic return man than a Whalen type player.  You are right though, Lankford definitely needs some breaks to go his way in order to make this roster.

Well what he equals is a player who had 2 drops last year out of 40 targets(that's only a 5% drop rate...along with a 60% catch rate according to Sporting Charts.....That's the same as Jimmy Graham, Andre Johnson, And Better then Alshon Jeffery, Coby Fleener, Victor Cruz, T.Y. Hilton   ) and a solid Returner, Griff is better then what some are willing to give him credit for......Now does he have the athletic talents of those players named? No but he is also no slouch in that area if you look at his combine #'s...He only played in 25.2 % of the teams total offensive snaps as well out 1071 offensive snaps....Although NFL..com has the Colts at 1023 scrimmage plays so cant really speak on the validity of Sporting Charts #s

Griff's numbers are from his pro day so you have to adjust downward a bit.

He didn't get a combine invite.