Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Polian: Manning Fine With Colts Drafting Qb In First Round.

KyFan18

whats is Manning supposed to say? Oh no no no, we don't need a QB, please no!!!

c'mon man

Based on what some of the media was saying last week I could easily see how people thought that is what he was going to say. The dude is just passing along news while it might just be a brainer for you doesn't mean it's that way for everyone else.

Like I said in another thread about this Polian stressed it had to be the right guy which to means a guy who understands he has to sit before he's going to play. If Luck is willing to do that look for Luck to be the pick. If Luck is not look for us to trade the pick and try for one of the other QBs who will sit. If none of them will look for us to trade the pick and draft to fill other needs.

This is all assuming Manning is healthy.

I remember during the draft process, Polian let out some things saying we could have targeted a QB in the 1st round. Either his QB was taken, or it was a smokescreen.

I'm not sure, but I could see this being similar. Now that teams don't have to hang there salary cap around the #1 pick anymore, teams obviously will consider trading up more then ever. Is he trying to hint Luck is our guy, and who ever wants him has to not only compensate us for the 1st pick, but compensate us for him being the guy we want?

Idk just and idea.

I remember during the draft process, Polian let out some things saying we could have targeted a QB in the 1st round. Either his QB was taken, or it was a smokescreen.

I'm not sure, but I could see this being similar. Now that teams don't have to hang there salary cap around the #1 pick anymore, teams obviously will consider trading up more then ever. Is he trying to hint Luck is our guy, and who ever wants him has to not only compensate us for the 1st pick, but compensate us for him being the guy we want?

Idk just and idea.

It's not a bad idea, it's just impossible to prove. If the Colts let it be known that they intend to draft a QB early, it increases the urgency for those who want Luck to try and trade up. It's a typical football move to create more urgency, especially since it's the #1 pick. It's a notoriously hard pick to trade, though that should come down with the new rookie salary scale.

On the other hand, it could be legit. There's just no way to know.

Polain has been less than truthful before.

Manning can easily understand the potential need.

Time will tell if Manning is able to return at or near his previous level. If he does, then you seriously have to look into packaging that draft pick into more picks, to get immediate help.

Of course anything should be preceded by the firing of the whole staff.

The Colt's are drafting Luck,I'm pretty well sure of that.Some of us might not like it or want to live in the past but it must be done,the QB is everything in the NFL.Peyton's skills are going to decline as he approaches 40.If a desperate team wants to trade a kings ranson of draft picks ,like the Cowboys got from the Vikes years ago ,they would seriously have to consider that along with a new franchise QB.I am ok with mediocre seasons for a couple years as long as the team upgrades the talent and shows it is on the path to another era of great football.

Idk just and idea.

word had it Andy Dalton and Colin Kaepernick were favs of the Polians.

The Colt's are drafting Luck,I'm pretty well sure of that.Some of us might not like it or want to live in the past but it must be done,the QB is everything in the NFL.Peyton's skills are going to decline as he approaches 40.If a desperate team wants to trade a kings ranson of draft picks ,like the Cowboys got from the Vikes years ago ,they would seriously have to consider that along with a new franchise QB.I am ok with mediocre seasons for a couple years as long as the team upgrades the talent and shows it is on the path to another era of great football.

I'm not really okay with a half dozen mediocre seasons until we can contend again..

..and Luck may not want to come out of school AND may not come to Indy where he'd sit for years...

Dont throw away 10 good years due to 10 bad games...

Its an election year: Re-elect Manning....a proven leader..

Like I said in another thread about this Polian stressed it had to be the right guy which to means a guy who understands he has to sit before he's going to play. If Luck is willing to do that look for Luck to be the pick. If Luck is not look for us to trade the pick and try for one of the other QBs who will sit. If none of them will look for us to trade the pick and draft to fill other needs.

I feel this is the SMARTEST thing for us to do. This direction has all the possibilities and avenues covered. Smartest and safest move. No way we lose unless the situation is mishandled....again.

I'm not really okay with a half dozen mediocre seasons until we can contend again..

I don't know is you have seen product on the field, but Manning and one draft will not be able to put this team in SB contention. In my honest opinion, one good draft and getting Manning back will put us back in playoff contention, but SB contention. Too many complete teams out there for us to compete with.

I don't know is you have seen product on the field, but Manning and one draft will not be able to put this team in SB contention. In my honest opinion, one good draft and getting Manning back will put us back in playoff contention, but SB contention. Too many complete teams out there for us to compete with.

smitty...we were in Super Bowl contention last year

with this very same team...plus Peyton Manning...

You remember... :unsure:

Not really. We barely made the playoffs.

If we were legitimately a QB away from being a superbowl team, we wouldn't be 0-10 right now.

..and Luck may not want to come out of school AND may not come to Indy where he'd sit for years...

I still wonder why people keep believing Luck would sit for "years"? Best case he is ready to go come the 2013 season, worse case is he is ready in 2014...I don't see those as years, just about the normal length of time teams would like to give young QB's the chance to mature and learn.

I still wonder why people keep believing Luck would sit for "years"? Best case he is ready to go come the 2013 season, worse case is he is ready in 2014...I don't see those as years, just about the normal length of time teams would like to give young QB's the chance to mature and learn.

dn...but he's got leverage...Why do people keep saying he's coming to Indy where he will not start if Manning is OK.

Makes no sense from HIS point of view....

Right?

dn...but he's got leverage...Why do people keep saying he's coming to Indy where he will not start if Manning is OK.

Makes no sense from HIS point of view....

Right?

Mark.....he could certainly do that, and if Peyton is deemed 100% healthy before he's required to declare his status then I suppose Luck will have a decision to make.

But it could also backfire because if he returns to Stanford and let's say for example the Eagles continue to totally implode and get next year's #1 pick.... by record or trade-up.... do you think he'd be any more excited about going to that crap hole and being squarely thrust into a QB controversy in a city that is a media nightmare?

He does have SOME leverage, you're correct....but that has a potential down side as well.

He's either getting drafted this year or next.... this year he's beginning to get a pretty clear picture, next year is a complete unknown.

Good clubs don't get sentimental and let that effect decision making.Pittsburgh,NE,and a lot of the perennial winners discard the washed up before they hurt the team and always have a viable replacement.Not that PM is washed up but if the Colt's are still not a real SB contender next year it is pointless not to see what they could get for him.

I'm honestly shocked at some of the opinions people have in this thread.

This is how its going to play out.

Manning comes back healthy for the next 2-3 seasons. Luck sits behind Peyton those few seasons and eventually takes the reigns when Peyton goes. Polian has stated that Peyton is fine with this and Luck has shown the maturity as a player that he'd be fine with it as well. QB's coming out of college would be drooling at the chance to learn from the greatest of all-time. And don't say that players drafted that high want to play right away. Carson Palmer was drafted #1 and sat for a good part of his 1st year behind Kitna with the Bengals.

Based on what some of the media was saying last week I could easily see how people thought that is what he was going to say. The dude is just passing along news while it might just be a brainer for you doesn't mean it's that way for everyone else.

This is all assuming Manning is healthy.

Not enough hypotheticals in that!

Even if you mean 2 years ago, we all know who got us there. The league is A LOT different than 2 years ago, and even 1 year ago. Teams have gotten better while we have either slightly improved, gotten worse, or stayed the same in a lot areas. Peyton will take us to the playoffs because he is Peyton, but Peyton won't be able to pull this team together to win a SB. And this is not the same SB team we had with Peyton 2 years ago. Almost EVERYTHING was better 2 years ago.

The question really comes down to money, does it not? Will the Colts pay Manning his high salary and draft a first pick who will demand a high salary and bonus going in? Will this work, with the salary cap and all? After all, the Colts need more positions filled than qb. They need a lot of help in almost every area. Having a great qb behind center does little good if he does not have time to set up and throw the ball, or if the defense cannot stop the other team.

I personally do not believe the Colts will carry both Manning and Luck. If they draft Luck, and Manning gets healthy, they will trade Luck for help in other areas. If Manning does not heal as expected, heaven forbid, they will cut or trade him;, or Manning, seeing the handwriting on the wall, will retire.

I hope when Peyton does have to retire from playing, the Colts make him quarterback coach, with the idea of promoting him to offensive coordinator in a year or two, and that he eventually becomes a head coach. I think he would make a great one! Maybe in college football, though. He loves college football, and would be a wonderful mentor for young men.

The question really comes down to money, does it not?

It really doesn't.

The #1OVR pick will make roughly the same regardless of position. In fact, depending on the package, trading down for more picks may actually cost more.

The only way money is a factor is if you believe we are going to have to go and get an expensive free agent to replace whomever it is we drafted instead of Luck. I don't see us doing that, and so money really isn't a factor.

The question really comes down to money, does it not? Will the Colts pay Manning his high salary and draft a first pick who will demand a high salary and bonus going in?

With the new rookie salary wage, not really. And by time that contract is up, Peyton might be retiring. We payed someone to sit many times before, so what's the big deal now?

I'm honestly shocked at some of the opinions people have in this thread.

This is how its going to play out.

Manning comes back healthy for the next 2-3 seasons. Luck sits behind Peyton those few seasons and eventually takes the reigns when Peyton goes. Polian has stated that Peyton is fine with this and Luck has shown the maturity as a player that he'd be fine with it as well. QB's coming out of college would be drooling at the chance to learn from the greatest of all-time.

I also don't understand why this concept is sooo hard for some to comprehend :scratch:

I also don't understand why this concept is sooo hard for some to comprehend :scratch:

Because people don't want to see it workout that way. They want some sort of major move

to happen so they can have a reason to whine and complain.people dont understand that this fanbase is very fical and some would rather see this team fail so they can say I told you so.

Because people don't want to see it workout that way. They want some sort of major move

to happen so they can have a reason to whine and complain.people dont understand that this fanbase is very fical and some would rather see this team fail so they can say I told you so.

Who would rather see the team fail? Get off yer high horse, you are talking nonesense. You just make something up, throw it out there......

You look to be whining, actually....

I expect to hear this alot. I expect to hear them say Manning is happy to tutor Luck and how they will co-exist and Polian saying you can't pass up a sure thing. Why? Draft value. They have to sell a team like the Dolphins that unless they trade the farm, they have zero chance at Luck.

Remember, Polian did the same thing last year. Saying it was time to look for a replacement. Scouting all the QBs. So what happened? There was a huge move for QBs early, which allowed Offensive Tackles to slide. Castanzo slid to us simply because so many teams reached for QBs. I think it was brilliant.

So I fully expect the Colts to pay the hand that drafting Luck and keeping Manning is a done deal. But I honestly think they will trade the pick away for a windfall of picks.

I expect to hear this alot. I expect to hear them say Manning is happy to tutor Luck and how they will co-exist and Polian saying you can't pass up a sure thing. Why? Draft value. They have to sell a team like the Dolphins that unless they trade the farm, they have zero chance at Luck.

Remember, Polian did the same thing last year. Saying it was time to look for a replacement. Scouting all the QBs. So what happened? There was a huge move for QBs early, which allowed Offensive Tackles to slide. Castanzo slid to us simply because so many teams reached for QBs. I think it was brilliant.

So I fully expect the Colts to pay the hand that drafting Luck and keeping Manning is a done deal. But I honestly think they will trade the pick away for a windfall of picks.

Agreed, though I thought I'd heard after the draft that we would have taken Dalton if he would have been available with our 2nd round pick.