Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

whalen in the driver's seat

CR91

Chain Mover >>>>>> Speedster

Especially when you already have Ty Hilton for the deep ball. I'll take a WR corps of chain movers over speedsters. Tire the defense out with long drives. Whalen's YAC wasn't too shabby last year anyway.

Tough to say if he would've beat out Brazill cause the staff was high on Brazill, while Brazill was high on something else (too early? :peek: )

And even still Whalen's spot isn't guaranteed. Sure he has the leg up but one of these udfa or someone could unseat him honestly

Training camp shall be fun!!! :cheer:

:colts:

Remains to be seen if we keep six WRs or not. If Whalen can establish himself in some role on special teams it will go a long ways towards earning himself a spot on the roster.

whalen is shifty so he can be a good punt returner. he had a few good run backs last year

whalen is shifty so he can be a good punt returner. he had a few good run backs last year

and if he can win the job full time that will help him. For whatever reason the coaches didn't seem to settle on him last year and were still exploring other options. So if Whalen gets another shot at that job and can win it that might force the Colts into keeping six WRs or releasing someone else.

and if he can win the job full time that will help him. For whatever reason the coaches didn't seem to settle on him last year and were still exploring other options. So if Whalen gets another shot at that job and can win it that might force the Colts into keeping six WRs or releasing someone else.

I feel like we keep 6 anyhow do too injury and us hoping nicks does well. I still think luck would have had a lil pull when it was gunna come down too the two

Wow, this site cares more about a practice squad WR than any team in the league I bet. I know its mostly boredom and a longing for training camp to begin, but dizzaam. Grif Walen was an UDFA, so when he was on the practice squad he could have been claimed by any other team. He wasn't, so if he wasn't on our team, he wouldn't be in the league. Grif and Rodgers are hopefully irrelevant outside of special teams in the grand scheme of getting to and winning the AFC Championship game. Because if we need quality snaps from them, that means we have injuries at WR.....again.

Adding H Nicks was major in allowing us to not need R Wayne to be in pro bowl form week 1. Drafting D Moncrief in the 3rd round was the steal of the draft as far as deep playoff contending teams filling a need. That gives us 4 WR's, 2 TE's and 3 RB's to move the ball with. Oh yeah, with only 2 of those players being in our OFF for the 1st time. Grif Walen became useful to us only after D Allen, V Ballard and R Wayne's season ended, DHB busted, and our "power run scheme" changed. He doesn't have the same value if the OFF is at 100%.

And as far as the L Brazil situation, no, it is not better for anyone to win their spot by default instead of by intense competition. Side note on L Brazil, interesting how L Brazil was drug through the mud, but J Irsay got a pass. I understand, just thought it was interesting seeing how they both have multiple infractions. Anyway, our WR situation is considered a strength, so I feel there are a few other #1 or #2 spots on our roster that warrant more concern than our 5th or 6th WR spots. 

Wow, this site cares more about a practice squad WR than any team in the league I bet. I know its mostly boredom and a longing for training camp to begin, but dizzaam. Grif Walen was an UDFA, so when he was on the practice squad he could have been claimed by any other team. He wasn't, so if he wasn't on our team, he wouldn't be in the league. Grif and Rodgers are hopefully irrelevant outside of special teams in the grand scheme of getting to and winning the AFC Championship game. Because if we need quality snaps from them, that means we have injuries at WR.....again.

Adding H Nicks was major in allowing us to not need R Wayne to be in pro bowl form week 1. Drafting D Moncrief in the 3rd round was the steal of the draft as far as deep playoff contending teams filling a need. That gives us 4 WR's, 2 TE's and 3 RB's to move the ball with. Oh yeah, with only 2 of those players being in our OFF for the 1st time. Grif Walen became useful to us only after D Allen, V Ballard and R Wayne's season ended, DHB busted, and our "power run scheme" changed. He doesn't have the same value if the OFF is at 100%.

And as far as the L Brazil situation, no, it is not better for anyone to win their spot by default instead of by intense competition. Side note on L Brazil, interesting how L Brazil was drug through the mud, but J Irsay got a pass. I understand, just thought it was interesting seeing how they both have multiple infractions. Anyway, our WR situation is considered a strength, so I feel there are a few other #1 or #2 spots on our roster that warrant more concern than our 5th or 6th WR spots.

If Brady had been any good, he'd have been snapped up in the first round.......

Wayne, Nicks, TY, Donte, and Whalen or DR

DaRick really needs to step up in TC.    Indy knows what they have with Griff.     They DONT know with DR?   I like Griff's chances.

But I LUV this WR group regardless of who makes it.     Add the TE's and WOW    

This team is going to score a LOT.

Not saying Whalen is as good as Welker, but Welker was also an UDFA. It's okay to be excited about UDFA players, especially if they've shown enough to be excited about.

I really like what Whalen brings to the table . He may not be a physical freak but he gets it done . Use to be a QB so he has knowledge of what an where he needs to be from the perspective of his QB use to be a running back so he has good field vision and instincts with the ball in his hands . He also bulked up a lot this offseason and is ready to make a difference if he gets a chance really routing the kid .

Remains to be seen if we keep six WRs or not. If Whalen can establish himself in some role on special teams it will go a long ways towards earning himself a spot on the roster.

Geez, we almost have to keep 6 WRs this year unless we have a PS receiver who can step right in and play.

Wayne and Nicks are both iffy...they could both be out again by the halfway point in the season...then it would be Hilton, Rogers, Moncrief and a PS guy.

Having Reggie back is a mixed blessing...and having Nicks on the team is a mixed blessing...major concerns about durability here.

I am not sure where Nicks gets the injury prone label he has missed 4 games the last 3 years.

I think we may only keep 5 WR's I think that was a possibility before Brazil went down or up.  A lot may hinge on how far Roger's has come along. WR is a position of strength the 6th guy has to be able to do something special for us to keep him on special teams. He is not playing WR unless really bad things happen again. If Moncrief is really all they are saying I think that points more toward 5.

Eric Thomas is a guy I am interested to see. He could be our PS gem or more. There has been talk about Lankford as a kick returner. Rainey has the speed to be a threat and could be our 4RB. Be nice to have a real threat back there here is a look at Rainey both were called back.

It could come down to Whalen vs Muamba or Adongo or an extra O/D Lineman when we are talking about the final cuts. I don't think 6 WR's is a sure thing. Brazil takes a guy out of the equation but there are still going to be some tough choices to be made to get to 53

It saved his job, i think Brazil would have beat out Whalen

I agree Brazil would have beat out Whalen. I am not so sure that just because Brazil is gone Whalen makes the 53 man roster WR is not a position we are weak at. We need the 6th WR to be a special teams upgrade if we keep 6. While Whalen had the one good PR he lacks the speed to be a real threat back there. Whalen was a great story last year when we were pulling WR's off of PS"s not the case this year I would not be surprised to see someone with the ability to flip field position take that spot or another player not necessarily even a WR. It will be a very interesting training camp. Very interested in Eric Thomas seems like a great PS stash that could step into the slot if need. Let's face it if Whalen is playing WR something has gone really wrong again so he needs to be a special teams ace.... is he?

It saved his job, i think Brazil would have beat out Whalen

Job not saved yet, Colts may only keep only 5WR so it could be between him and DaRick or one of the other wr on the roster at camp.

Many things can change when camp hits, especially at backup positions.

If I were Griff, I wouldn't start getting too comfortable yet!

I also don't think that Griff's is the kind of character who would rejoice in one of his team mates misfortune.

Job not saved yet, Colts may only keep only 5WR so it could be between him and DaRick or one of the other wr on the roster at camp.

I also don't think that Griff's is the kind of character who would rejoice in one of his team mates misfortune.

We'd be foolish to only carry 5 WR's when 2 are coming off injury seasons, & another 2 are young & unproven

agreed I don't think Rodgers has a locked in spot yet either.  I think the only guys locked in are Wayne, Hilton, Nicks, and Moncrief.  Everyone else is fighting for one maybe two spots.  As you pointed and as we have seen things can change drastically in camp and in the pre-season. 

We'd be foolish to only carry 5 WR's when 2 are coming off injury seasons, & another 2 are young & unproven

Depends on if the Colts feel like they have one they can stash on the practice squad or not or if someone can prove he needs to be kept to play a major role in special teams or not.  Clearly they can't stash Rodgers or Whalen on the PS but if another young kid steps up and they can stash him there that could cause them to only keep five.  I've seen the Colts only keep four before and that was as recently as with Wayne, Garcon, Collie, and Gonzo.  They added White later that season due to injuries but if you can only keep four with Collie and Gonzo in that mix I don't think it's unreasonable to think they might only keep five this year IF numbers force them to do that. 

I think they keep 6 WR this season, you never know what may happen especially if that pesky injury bug strikes again.

I believe Brazil would've beat out Whalen because of his ST talent, even though Whalen can do it also (because the coaching staff was high on Brazil, yes pun intended).  I think they both would be fighting for the backup slot position behind TY also.  In the end, we are better off with Griff because he is a scrapper.  He will get those tough short yard situations on critical downs, and he knows how to take big hits without getting hurt (Hopefully I didn't just send bad karma his way).  

Saved his job, hum don't know about that but it improved his chance for sure. I think because Griff is a good punt returner thats his ticket so to speak! I think when you compare Brazil & Griff, Griff is more productive, but Brazil has more talent..

Griff is a good punt returner in that he will catch the ball he is not explosive take it to the house good, If he makes the team it will be sp teams the chances he plays wr is slim we would have to have a lot of injuries personally I would like to find someone other teams are afraid to kick it too someone who can flip the field that is not named TY

Griff is a good punt returner in that he will catch the ball he is not explosive take it to the house good, If he makes the team it will be sp teams the chances he plays wr is slim we would have to have a lot of injuries personally I would like to find someone other teams are afraid to kick it too someone who can flip the field that is not named TY

Agree don't want TY returning kicks, & yes Griff is not a explosive guy, but he has quick fee,t good hands, and a knack of making the first man miss he is solid and a little slippery. I can live with that! Seeing the field as a WR probably won't, but guys like him will get a few chances.

Agree don't want TY returning kicks, & yes Griff is not a explosive guy, but he has quick fee,t good hands, and a knack of making the first man miss he is solid and a little slippery. I can live with that! Seeing the field as a WR probably won't, but guys like him will get a few chances.

If Whalen is the best we have then he is the guy but I think Rainey is more explosive back there pretty sure he does KR's as well but that would mean 4 RB and a FB. Who knows about the UDFA's I am interested in Eric Thomas read some article about Lankford being an explosive kick returner. We will see. We have a good punter, HOF K, be nice to have a deadly KR/PR special team touchdowns can really swing the momentum. I think that is what we are looking for we are bringing in all those WR's for camp.  

If Whalen is the best we have then he is the guy but I think Rainey is more explosive back there pretty sure he does KR's as well but that would mean 4 RB and a FB. Who knows about the UDFA's I am interested in Eric Thomas read some article about Lankford being an explosive kick returner. We will see. We have a good punter, HOF K, be nice to have a deadly KR/PR special team touchdowns can really swing the momentum. I think that is what we are looking for we are bringing in all those WR's for camp.  

I think Rainey is just a KR. He is explosive as long as he holds on to the ball, rumor is he fumbles thats why Pitt let him go.

I thought he would beat out Brazil anyways but it wasn't for certain.

Thing is he still may lose his job if we decide to only go with 5 WR's.

I however think we should go with 6 WR's.  We're gonna lose 2 WR's next year unless one of them re-signs.

It would not be a positive thing IMO to go into next season needing 2 WR's.  If you keep 6 and keep Brazil via the suspended list then your WR's next year are.

Moncrief, Rodgers, Hilton, Whalen, Brazil and you don't need any WR's (but could still get some if you want).  Depending on how Moncrief and Rodgers develop this might be a pretty solid group.  

Not to mention that 2 have their contracts up after this year.  To me it would be throwing away talent that we could really use to have on hand next year.