Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peyton Manning's contract is not whats holding up colt signings & not hurting the Colts. That's all a MYTH & other Myths discussed

bayone

18 to 88 article

Note this is just 1 of many topics that are timely & discussed in the article

There are lots of myths about this.

While Indy is currently 'over the cap', that's not stopping the Colts from signing players. Indy doesn't have to get under the cap until August 4th.

In other words, they can still sign players now without the cap relief coming from Manning's deal. They don't have to wait to sign Peyton to sign other players. If a deal is even mostly done, they are free to sign guys now knowing the cap space will be there August 4th.

The truth is that the Colts don't want to sign free agents.

Beyond that, there are two important things fans should realize:

First: Peyton Manning made $21 million against a cap of $127 million in 2009.

Those arguing that Manning is killing the Colts cap and that he should take $20 million going forward are ignoring the massive amount of cap room he's taken up for three seasons now. They are also arguing he should take a pay cut. And why? So the Colts can sign free agents! But the Colts aren't going to (and never were going to) sign free agents.

Second:

Manning's contract isn't the problem.

Good players making big money doesn't hurt a team.

Teams are hurt by bad/hurt players making big money. Enter Bob Sander's dead money and Kelvin Hayden's albatross contract. That money is what is keeping Indy's cap tight.

Those contracts were controversial at the time (I backed both). They were both awful deals in hindsight.

Blaming the likes of Manning and Freeney for occupying nearly $40 million in cap space between them is a mistake. Bad players cost teams, not good ones.

My link

He makes some good points but.....$40 million+ being eaten up by only two players is a stunning chunk of the overall cap allotment. Sanders' contract would have not been a mistake save for his constant absence, his talent was more than worth it. Hayden, I think he gets one more year for us to fairly judge whether or not his contract was a mistake. He's good, but thats some serious cash for the production we've seen.

I'm really hoping Hayden plays to his potential and stays healthy this year. If he can, we actually have pretty good corners with him, Powers, and Tryon.

Personally, I would like to see Powers on the other team's number 1 and Hayden on their number two guy, whether that be a TE or WR I don't see that being an issue. I think if he was covering the lessor of the top talent on the other teams, I think you will see a great player.

In terms of FA's not being signed, I just saw a few players that fell to other teams, ones that could have helped us. Brad Smith comes to mind. Look at what that player could have given us, KR/PR, WR, RB, QB. He was pretty cheap and the Bills took him and they didn't even really need him. And he could have offered a lot to our team.

I know people keep yelling for def or off, but lets face it people! We need a couple players that can make our special teams better!!!!!

I agree with you on the Powers/Hayden switch.

However, the thing about adding an elite returner is that our Special teams blocking leaves a lot to be desired. I don't think an awesome returner would help a whole lot. Especially with the kick-offs being moved up.

It's gonna be 85% touchbacks now.

I agree with you on the Powers/Hayden switch.

However, the thing about adding an elite returner is that our Special teams blocking leaves a lot to be desired. I don't think an awesome returner would help a whole lot. Especially with the kick-offs being moved up.

It's gonna be 85% touchbacks now.

agree too, but some say kickoffs may not go for distance and instead punt high & try to get a fair catch so u never know

Numbers don't lie and it appears that Irsay and Manning are among those who have a grasp on the situation & times at hand. Good for them. Good for the team. Good for us.

I wish Manning would agree to a lesser (than I want) contract, but the fact that the GOAT is willing to take less, is a good thing.