Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Will Reggie pass up Marvin to become the Colts all-time leading receiver in 2014?

ColtsBTM12

Reggie Wayne: 1,006 receptions,13,566 rec yards, 80 rec touchdowns

Marvin Harrison: 1,102 receptions, 14,580 rec yards, 128 rec touchdowns

Reggie needs 1,015 receiving yards in 2014 to pass up Marvin Harrison and become the Colts all-time leading receiver. He could also pass up Marvin in career receptions if he racks up 97 catches on the year. Will Reggie be able to do it? If healthy and playing like the Reggie we all know, I don't see anything standing in his way to be able to pull off this feat (maybe other than having too many weapons on offense). I sure hope he does it this year because this is the last year of his contract and may possibly be his final year as a Colt.

Holy cow. All those Marvin tds

I had Manning to Harrison in an auction league got Harrison for a $1 the year he hurt his shoulder 98? He was my keeper for a dollar each year bought Peyton it was a beautiful thing. No one could bid against me I had the best or one of the best players for a $1.   I was in the Super Bowl in that league for many years.

I don't think Reggie gets there this year coming of the injury so many other weapons we still don't know what the Pep  is doing I think it  will be close but I think he will need another year.

Reggie Wayne: 1,006 receptions,13,566 rec yards, 80 rec touchdowns

Marvin Harrison: 1,102 receptions, 14,580 rec yards, 128 rec touchdowns

Reggie needs 1,015 receiving yards in 2014 to pass up Marvin Harrison and become the Colts all-time leading receiver. He could also pass up Marvin in career receptions if he racks up 97 catches on the year. Will Reggie be able to do it? If healthy and playing like the Reggie we all know, I don't see anything standing in his way to be able to pull off this feat (maybe other than having too many weapons on offense). I sure hope he does it this year because this is the last year of his contract and may possibly be his final year as a Colt.

Reallly?

You don't see anything standing in Reggie's way?       Seriously?

How about these things standing in his way....

TY Hilton

Hakeen Nicks

Da'Rick Rogers

Donte Moncrief

LaVon Brazil or Griff Whalen

And I didn't even yet include these things....

Dwayne Allen

Coby Fleener

Or these things....

Throwing to

Trent Richardson

Ahmad Bradshaw

Vick Ballard

If you really want this offense to work at peak efficiency you do NOT want Reggie hauling in 96 passes this year and getting over 1,000 yards....

The key to this offense working well is spreading the ball to all of those targets plus running the ball effectively.

If one receiver has 96 receptions,  then something has gone wrong,  like several receivers have gotten hurt....

I'm sorry if my post seems harsh,  but I wanted to offer a completely different way to look at it....

It will probably take a year, or two to get the receptions. Yardage too. Then again you never know because Reggie might just come out to prove everyone who doubts a player his age can make it back after such an injury. I seem to recall when Jerry Rice tore his ACL in 97 he managed to comeback in the final game of the year only to wreck his knee. None the less, he then put up over 1,000 yards for San Francisco in 98. Not that Reggie is Jerry, but you never know because some guys are super human... and others are never the same after getting hurt.

Reallly?

You don't see anything standing in Reggie's way? Seriously?

TY Hilton

Hakeen Nicks

Da'Rick Rogers

Donte Moncrief

Dwayne Allen

Coby Fleener

Or these things....

Throwing to

Trent Richardson

Ahmad Bradshaw

Vick Ballard

If you really want this offense to work at peak efficiency you do NOT want Reggie hauling in 96 passes this year and getting over 1,000 yards....

The key to this offense working well is spreading the ball to all of those targets plus running the ball effectively.

If one receiver has 96 receptions, then something has gone wrong, like several receivers have gotten hurt....

I'm sorry if my post seems harsh, but I wanted to offer a completely different way to look at it....

NCF, either you misunderstood or you didn't read the entire post. The OP said in the opening post that the only thing stopping Reggie is having too many weapons. Then you went on to list each of those weapons he/she was referring too

Just so you know.........

Reallly?

You don't see anything standing in Reggie's way?       Seriously?

TY Hilton

Hakeen Nicks

Da'Rick Rogers

Donte Moncrief

Dwayne Allen

Coby Fleener

Or these things....

Throwing to

Trent Richardson

Ahmad Bradshaw

Vick Ballard

If one receiver has 96 receptions,  then something has gone wrong,  like several receivers have gotten hurt....

I'm sorry if my post seems harsh,  but I wanted to offer a completely different way to look at it....

I don't know if you saw it, but after I stated that I didn't see anything standing in his way I put in parenthesis "maybe other than having too many weapons on offense". I understand that the offense works most efficiently when all the pieces to the puzzle are being balanced out and used to their strengths but whose to say that more than one person can't have a monster year? I mean, it's not like we haven't seen more than one receiver on a team catch 100 passes and 1000 plus yards in a season.In 2009, Reggie Wayne and Dallas Clark each had 100 plus catches, with 1000 plus yards, and at least 10 touchdowns. Andrew Luck and this offense are certainly capable of dishing out that kind of production from a multitude of the weapons that you mentioned. And if Luck distributes the ball effectively to all the weapons that we have passing it will open things up for Trent Richardson, Ahmad Bradshaw, and Vick Ballard in the running game. Plus, as unfortunate as they are, injuries always play a role and most likely not all of those names will be available for all 16 games and we'll have to get through the season with different personnel groupings offensively.

i would think if he can get 97 catches and over 1000 yards this year, he would be back if he wanted to be

of course, but the odds isnt in his favor and its not only injury related. this is basically a wide open offense and there are a lot of weapons to get the ball to

of course, but the odds isnt in his favor and its not only injury related. this is basically a wide open offense and there are a lot of weapons to get the ball to

yeah, i don't think he will catch him this season. I think to pass him, he will have to play next year

yeah, i don't think he will catch him this season. I think to pass him, he will have to play next year

I honestly think this will be 87's last year as hard as it is to type that especially if nicks has a good year

I concur with others in saying that this may be #87's last year with the Colts too though I do think he can come back as a purely possession wideout like Amani Toomer did for the Giants and still helped the Giants during their 2007 SB run.

Also, knowing the generous Irsay and how he ponied up big contracts to Peyton and Freeney in their last years (he likes to give parting gifts, I am thinking  :)), I would not be shocked if Reggie came back on a decent 1 year deal before saying sayonara.

I was looking at this last year and figured he'd need two seasons to pass him. After having only half a season last year and all the weapons we have this year, I still say that unless the Colts make a concerted effort to get it for him.

And if they do do that, expect reggie to retire. That's the only thing I see them intentionally doing that for.

I don't know if you saw it, but after I stated that I didn't see anything standing in his way I put in parenthesis "maybe other than having too many weapons on offense". I understand that the offense works most efficiently when all the pieces to the puzzle are being balanced out and used to their strengths but whose to say that more than one person can't have a monster year? I mean, it's not like we haven't seen more than one receiver on a team catch 100 passes and 1000 plus yards in a season.In 2009, Reggie Wayne and Dallas Clark each had 100 plus catches, with 1000 plus yards, and at least 10 touchdowns. Andrew Luck and this offense are certainly capable of dishing out that kind of production from a multitude of the weapons that you mentioned. And if Luck distributes the ball effectively to all the weapons that we have passing it will open things up for Trent Richardson, Ahmad Bradshaw, and Vick Ballard in the running game. Plus, as unfortunate as they are, injuries always play a role and most likely not all of those names will be available for all 16 games and we'll have to get through the season with different personnel groupings offensively.

My apologies.....

I missed your reference to having too many weapons.

If I had seen that, I wouldn't have bothered.....

My bad.....    sometimes my eyes don't work as well when my head is stuck up my own ***....      you know?!      :slaphead:

I agree with the idea that we have a lot of weapons, so maybe Reggie doesn't get the kind of targets necessary for those stats. 

But I disagree with this portion of the post. Having a true #1 target, someone who hauls in a bunch of catches, says nothing about the efficiency of the offense. It would say that he is the best receiver on the team. Having one guy represent a significant portion of your receiving production doesn't mean your offense is broken. Most good offenses have a go-to guy. The Eagles had a very balanced offense last year, yet Desean Jackson had 82 grabs and 1,300 yards. There's nothing wrong with that.

I wonder if some think that, because we have a lot of weapons, that the production is going to be evenly distributed among them. That's usually not how it works. Usually, your best guys still get the most opportunities, and still pace your team's offense. Assuming health, I think we'll have three WRs, one TE and one back who all produce consistently in the passing game. The other guys will get scraps. Having depth is good, and will come into play if there are injuries, but if Reggie is healthy, he'll still be one of those top three guys in our passing game. If he's back to form (which might not happen), he'll be the top guy.

IMO

Even with a healthy Wayne, last year we started to see T.Y. Hilton become Luck's top target, and dare I say it, our #1 receiver. Here is an article with statistical analysis, showing the breakdown of snaps, routes run, and target %. This takes into account Reggie being out due to injury.

http://coltsauthority.com/2014-articles/14509.html

I think by the way Hilton played last year, Luck will continue to target him as his primary receiver, making it difficult for Wayne to reach Marvin's numbers.

I agree with the idea that we have a lot of weapons, so maybe Reggie doesn't get the kind of targets necessary for those stats. 

But I disagree with this portion of the post. Having a true #1 target, someone who hauls in a bunch of catches, says nothing about the efficiency of the offense. It would say that he is the best receiver on the team. Having one guy represent a significant portion of your receiving production doesn't mean your offense is broken. Most good offenses have a go-to guy. The Eagles had a very balanced offense last year, yet Desean Jackson had 82 grabs and 1,300 yards. There's nothing wrong with that.

I wonder if some think that, because we have a lot of weapons, that the production is going to be evenly distributed among them. That's usually not how it works. Usually, your best guys still get the most opportunities, and still pace your team's offense. Assuming health, I think we'll have three WRs, one TE and one back who all produce consistently in the passing game. The other guys will get scraps. Having depth is good, and will come into play if there are injuries, but if Reggie is healthy, he'll still be one of those top three guys in our passing game. If he's back to form (which might not happen), he'll be the top guy.

IMO

Good thoughts.....

Hey,  I'd be perfectly happy if Reggie had 82 catches....    but he if he does,  he's not going to have 1300 yards.    He'll likely have right about 1000 yards,  maybe a little less (but that's my guess)....     that's just the difference in the ability of Reggie and DeSean Jackson.

My views are based on so many of our guys not being depth guys (that's Rogers/Moncrief/Brazil/Whalen)  but actual serious weapons who need to be incorporated extensively for the offense to work...    So,  Reggie/TY/Hakeem/Allen/Fleener/and the RB's all have to have serious numbers of touches.... 

I don't want Andrew and the offense to be predictable.   I don't want opposing defense to know that on 3rd and 5 or longer, Andrew overwhelmingly wants to go to Reggie and defaults to everyone else.    I want defenses to be tortured as to who they try to take away.     Take Reggie away,  Luck throws to Hakeem.   Double him and Luck throws to Allen.   Try to eliminate him, and Luck finds TYH....    and just when defenses think they have it all figured out,  Luck picks Fleener.   If those guys aren't being used much,  I think it's a waste.

Granted,  much of this could change depending on who is hurt in any given week...   I just want the love and the rock shared...   the more it's spread out,  the more dangerous we can be.

Think the Eagles,  who may have moved DeSean,  but took Matthews high-up and traded for Sproles.    They already have lots of other good weapons and they acquired two more.    Chip Kelly will use all of them.     Make the defense defend everyone over the entire field.

Sorry.....   I'll get off my soap box now...    Just wanted to share some thoughts....    the next 30 days here are going to be mostly quiet.

Good thoughts.....

Hey,  I'd be perfectly happy if Reggie had 82 catches....    but he if he does,  he's not going to have 1300 yards.    He'll likely have right about 1000 yards,  maybe a little less (but that's my guess)....     that's just the difference in the ability of Reggie and DeSean Jackson.

My views are based on so many of our guys not being depth guys (that's Rogers/Moncrief/Brazil/Whalen)  but actual serious weapons who need to be incorporated extensively for the offense to work...    So,  Reggie/TY/Hakeem/Allen/Fleener/and the RB's all have to have serious numbers of touches.... 

I don't want Andrew and the offense to be predictable.   I don't want opposing defense to know that on 3rd and 5 or longer, Andrew overwhelmingly wants to go to Reggie and defaults to everyone else.    I want defenses to be tortured as to who they try to take away.     Take Reggie away,  Luck throws to Hakeem.   Double him and Luck throws to Allen.   Try to eliminate him, and Luck finds TYH....    and just when defenses think they have it all figured out,  Luck picks Fleener.   If those guys aren't being used much,  I think it's a waste.

Granted,  much of this could change depending on who is hurt in any given week...   I just want the love and the rock shared...   the more it's spread out,  the more dangerous we can be.

Think the Eagles,  who may have moved DeSean,  but took Matthews high-up and traded for Sproles.    They already have lots of other good weapons and they acquired two more.    Chip Kelly will use all of them.     Make the defense defend everyone over the entire field.

Sorry.....   I'll get off my soap box now...    Just wanted to share some thoughts....    the next 30 days here are going to be mostly quiet.

I don't mind you sharing your thoughts. Like you say, not a lot going on for a while.

I don't think Luck has to favor Reggie for Reggie to put up #1 level production. Top level receivers get the ball because they get open and make plays. Reggie gets the ball consistently because he knows how to get open consistently. It's not meant to exclude anyone else from the offense.

Other guys have to get in the mix, absolutely. But there are only so many touches, and generally speaking, the best players carry the load. How that balances out at the top is going to be interesting to see, but I think there will be a clear #1 guy among the receivers. Maybe 100 catches is a little higher than I'd project, but 80-90 seems right. 

I think the TEs will have to share. Fleener and Allen are both good enough to put up 60 catches, but I don't think either will get that many touches. They could reasonably split that in half. Or if they both put up numbers close to that, it has to come from the #3 and #4 WR. Same for whatever touches go to the backs. I don't think it will come from the #1 WR. Having a go-to guy who paces your attack is a good thing, sometimes necessary.

I don't mind you sharing your thoughts. Like you say, not a lot going on for a while.

I don't think Luck has to favor Reggie for Reggie to put up #1 level production. Top level receivers get the ball because they get open and make plays. Reggie gets the ball consistently because he knows how to get open consistently. It's not meant to exclude anyone else from the offense.

Other guys have to get in the mix, absolutely. But there are only so many touches, and generally speaking, the best players carry the load. How that balances out at the top is going to be interesting to see, but I think there will be a clear #1 guy among the receivers. Maybe 100 catches is a little higher than I'd project, but 80-90 seems right.

I think the TEs will have to share. Fleener and Allen are both good enough to put up 60 catches, but I don't think either will get that many touches. They could reasonably split that in half. Or if they both put up numbers close to that, it has to come from the #3 and #4 WR. Same for whatever touches go to the backs. I don't think it will come from the #1 WR. Having a go-to guy who paces your attack is a good thing, sometimes necessary.

In 2002 Marvin had 143 catches. There were still 4 other guys with at least 40 catches.

Good thoughts.....

I've always found this to be an interesting stat line, as a point of reference, from NE in 2011:

Wes Welker 122 1,569 12.9 99 9

Rob Gronkowski 90 1,327 14.7 52 17

Aaron Hernandez 79 910 11.5 46 7

I'm not suggesting that the Colts will have stat lines like this - but it's a good example of how concentrated the stats can be while still having a very effective offense.

If.....we are over some of the growing pains that our offense went through last year, we could see Luck's completion percentage rise to around 65% on about 600 throws.  We could readily have 2 WR catch 80-90 balls, another over 65, and 100 balls to Fleener/Allen combined or any such combinations once there are close to 400 receptions to spread around.  

Reggie catching 85 - 1100 - 8 is still a pretty doable deal if he is healthy - and in the slot, the catch volume could easily balloon to 100. 

Yeah, but to NCF's point, that wasn't really a balanced attack. Marvin's production was enough for a #1 and #2 receiver combined.

To me balance has to do with bring able to run the ball. If the number one option is open, why would you not pass him the ball.

Other than TY, do we really have any 'other weapons'? Too much conjecture at this point.

It's not conjecture. There's plenty of evidence that Nicks and Fleener can produce, and the questions about Wayne and Allen are only with regard to injury recovery. 

To me balance has to do with bring able to run the ball. If the number one option is open, why would you not pass him the ball.

If the number one option is open -- absolutely throw him the ball.

But, I'm expecting an attack where the number one option is spread out....    so it might be a little less than Reggie has gotten in the past.    

TY Hilton is not going to catch 40 passes this year.    Neither is Hakeem Nicks.    And if they do, in a full 16 game season,  they'll be *.

I would think the idea,  the concept of a "spread the wealth" offense would be exciting to many here....   would be more welcomed here....    we have so many weapons,  why not use them?    Why make these guys decoys?      We've got guns,  fire them all!

I think that makes for a much more dangerous, less predictable,  harder to defend offense.

That's one aspect of balance. You also want to have multiple targets in the passing game who can take the pressure off your #1. We really didn't have that in 2002. Edge was our second lead pass catcher. So Manning kind of forced the ball to Marvin, leading to a lot of production but also a lot of interceptions, and it didn't make the offense better.

I don't agree with NCF that you need to have an equal opportunity offense. I think guys will produce based on how well they play, not because we want a certain number of targets for each player. So in that sense, yeah, if your #1 is open, throw him the ball. 

i would think if he can get 97 catches and over 1000 yards this year, he would be back if he wanted to be

I would agree. If he still wants to play after this year while he's still racking up that kind of production there's no reason Ryan Grigson shouldn't try to get him resigned. I don't think Reggie would want to be anywhere else, especially with the Colts having a great young quarterback and turning into a possible Super Bowl contender.