Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

(Dad) Winston: two more years at FSU....

The father of Jameison Winston said in the last few days that he and his wife expect their son to stay at Florida State until he gets his degree.     And so he says the plan for his son is that Jameison will play baseball one more year and play football two more years.

I sure hope the father is right....   his son needs to grow-up in a hurry....

As for staying two more years...   I'll believe it when I see it.    When the deadline for entering next year's draft passes and Jameison's name is not on the list -- then I'll believe it.   Not before.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11106682/jameis-winston-play-two-more-years-florida-state-seminoles-according-father

Some guys may benefit from a maturity standpoint by staying in college 2 more years, but I never really understood how someone can benefit more by staying in college than if they went straight to the NFL.  They get structure and support in NCAA just like they get structure and support in the NFL.   These kids will have to make grown up decisions at some point and surround themselves with people who won't help them make bad decisions.  But I just don't think I can ever expect someone to stay in college and risk injury when they are already projected to make at least several millions a year as a projected first round pick.  You can always go back to college and finish your degree with enough to retire if you so desire. 

If he is going in the first couple of rounds come out. The real truth is college is always going to be there not the other way around heck my dad could go back to college if he wanted too. I never understood the stay in school thing a lot of things could happen that end up costing you a lot of money. Strike when the iron is hot.

Stay.      In.      School.

Grow.    Up.

Get.       Better.

The.       NFL.   Will.    Be.    There.    When.    You're.    Ready.

Stay.      In.       School.

Not if you get hurt or turn out not to be very good if someone wants to give you millions take it you can always go back to school.

Get better you sound like a fan or a GM it may not be what is best for the game but as long as you can leave early if someone is offering you millions you take it. You need to make sure that you are for sure getting paid but if it is a guarantee you take it simply crazy not to.

If you are going to college majoring in computer softerware and IBM came to you and said we see your work and like it we want to hire you right now no degree necessary we will start you out at 500,000 a year you would stay in school to get better at computers or would you take the job. You would take the job and that's just 500k. 

That stay in school the pro's will always be there is a lie. There is no guarantee against injury on or off the field when life offers you an opportunity you take it. 

Not if you get hurt or turn out not to be very good if someone wants to give you millions take it you can always go back to school.

Get better you sound like a fan or a GM it may not be what is best for the game but as long as you can leave early if someone is offering you millions you take it. You need to make sure that you are for sure getting paid but if it is a guarantee you take it simply crazy not to.

If you are going to college majoring in computer softerware and IBM came to you and said we see your work and like it we want to hire you right now no degree necessary we will start you out at 500,000 a year you would stay in school to get better at computers or would you take the job. You would take the job and that's just 500k. 

That stay in school the pro's will always be there is a lie. There is no guarantee against injury on or off the field when life offers you an opportunity you take it. 

Kids are rarely injured to the extent that it hurts their draft standing.

And players -- especially quarterback where more experience is always better -- benefit from maturity.

Since the new CBA where rookie contracts are no longer huge,  the first contract is not the goal.    It's the 2nd contract.   And if you're not ready to succeed during your first contract,  then your second contract won't be as big as it could be.

But is you maximize your college experience,  then you can maximize your first few years in the NFL.   And then the 2nd contract will be better.

Some QB named Andrew Luck would've been the first player overall if he had come out in 2011.   He wanted to go back to school for his degree and to become a better QB.     It worked.    Now, he wasn't drafted any higher -- can't get higher than 1st.

But his first years in the NFL are going to be so good that his 2nd contract is going to be huge.   Perhaps the biggest in the NFL.

Look what happened to Mark Sanchez.    Came out after starting just 16 games.   He's never recovered from it.  

As for your comment about sounding like a fan or a GM.....    I have bad news for you......

A fan almost never sounds like a GM.    They typically are the exact opposite.    So, it's one or the other.

And I much prefer to sound like a GM.    I try hard not to sound like a fan.    Seriously.

Kids are rarely injured to the extent that it hurts their draft standing.

And players -- especially quarterback where more experience is always better -- benefit from maturity.

Since the new CBA where rookie contracts are no longer huge,  the first contract is not the goal.    It's the 2nd contract.   And if you're not ready to succeed during your first contract,  then your second contract won't be as big as it could be.

But is you maximize your college experience,  then you can maximize your first few years in the NFL.   And then the 2nd contract will be better.

Some QB named Andrew Luck would've been the first player overall if he had come out in 2011.   He wanted to go back to school for his degree and to become a better QB.     It worked.    Now, he wasn't drafted any higher -- can't get higher than 1st.

But his first years in the NFL are going to be so good that his 2nd contract is going to be huge.   Perhaps the biggest in the NFL.

Look what happened to Mark Sanchez.    Came out after starting just 16 games.   He's never recovered from it.  

As for your comment about sounding like a fan or a GM.....    I have bad news for you......

A fan almost never sounds like a GM.    They typically are the exact opposite.    So, it's one or the other.

And I much prefer to sound like a GM.    I try hard not t o sound like a fan.    Seriously.

Both fans and GM's would agree it is a better game when kids stay longer and are ready to play when they get to the league so in this instance I think they could sound the same.

I was not speaking about just football. As for Sanchez maybe it was smart stayed another year get some tape on him he is no longer a high pick. He got paid and isn't very good. There is no guarantee he would not have sucked just as bad had he stayed in school.

Both fans and GM's would agree it is a better game when kids stay longer and are ready to play when they get to the league so in this instance I think they could sound the same.

I was not speaking about just football. As for Sanchez maybe it was smart stayed another year get some tape on him he is no longer a high pick. He got paid and isn't very good. There is no guarantee he would not have sucked just as bad had he stayed in school.

I don't think most fans want kids to stay in school.

I think most fans want kids to come out and start making money as fast as they can.     You know, all the arguments you and others here laid out in previous posts.    Take the guaranteed money.    College will always be there.   Leave school as soon as you can.    Those are the arguments of most fans.    And agents.

By the way,  if it's not clear,  I think your view is the majority view.   I think my view is the minority view.    I wish it wasn't the case,  but I believe it is.....

Some guys may benefit from a maturity standpoint by staying in college 2 more years, but I never really understood how someone can benefit more by staying in college than if they went straight to the NFL.  They get structure and support in NCAA just like they get structure and support in the NFL.   These kids will have to make grown up decisions at some point and surround themselves with people who won't help them make bad decisions.  But I just don't think I can ever expect someone to stay in college and risk injury when they are already projected to make at least several millions a year as a projected first round pick.  You can always go back to college and finish your degree with enough to retire if you so desire. 

My guess is that this is mostly an attempt to try and put more distance between him and the off the field red flags.

If he keeps his nose clean for two years those red flags won't be nearly as glaring then if he comes out right away after this coming season.

It depends I think on the player.  For the most part if you arn't projected to be a first round pick you are probably better off staying in school.  With Winston because of the off the field stuff he might not have been a first round pick next year.  If he keeps his nose clean then he might be a first round pick in 2016.   

Some guys may benefit from a maturity standpoint by staying in college 2 more years, but I never really understood how someone can benefit more by staying in college than if they went straight to the NFL. They get structure and support in NCAA just like they get structure and support in the NFL. These kids will have to make grown up decisions at some point and surround themselves with people who won't help them make bad decisions. But I just don't think I can ever expect someone to stay in college and risk injury when they are already projected to make at least several millions a year as a projected first round pick. You can always go back to college and finish your degree with enough to retire if you so desire.

I disagree, more freedom in the NFL than the NCAA

Simply because you're a STUDENT-Athlete in college. NFL you're just an athlete

The thought of being kicked outta school should loom somewhere in your head. NFL you just get fined/suspended unless you're like Justin Blacmon

I disagree, more freedom in the NFL than the NCAA

Simply because you're a STUDENT-Athlete in college. NFL you're just an athlete

The thought of being kicked outta school should loom somewhere in your head. NFL you just get fined/suspended unless you're like Justin Blacmon

Not to mention they will suddenly have money.  Even if they are just a practice squad player they will be making more money then most people.

And there are a lot of ways to get in trouble if it's the offseason and you don't have much to do and you are flush with cash.  

Grow.    Up.

Get.       Better.

This is my post, and you clearly wanted to respond to it....    but whatever you wrote didn't take... 

I've just accidentally stumbled into this....   I didn't get a notice that you had responded.  

If you'd like,  take another shot at my post....    I'm here and will be happy to respond....

Grow.    Up.

Get.       Better.

This is making the really bold assumption players grow up by staying in school...

There's also the point where players should go because it's their best shot to be drafted as high as possible. It's easy to say for someone to stay in school and then watch as their draft stock goes down and as a result they're drafted lower than what they would have gone the previous year. 

This is making the really bold assumption players grow up by staying in school...

There's also the point where players should go because it's their best shot to be drafted as high as possible. It's easy to say for someone to stay in school and then watch as their draft stock goes down and as a result they're drafted lower than what they would have gone the previous year. 

Typically,  most kids do mature staying in school longer.   Not sure why you think this is a really bold assumption.

Second,   for a quarterback,   I would think most teams want a player to get as much experience as possible.   That's the one position where experience is everything.

Now that rookie contracts have become more reasonable the key (IMO) should be to be as ready for the NFL game as possible, so that you can perform at as high a level as possible and then cash in on your 2nd contract.    That's where the real money is.

Typically,  most kids do mature staying in school longer.   Not sure why you think this is a really bold assumption.

Second,   for a quarterback,   I would think most teams want a player to get as much experience as possible.   That's the one position where experience is everything.

Now that rookie contracts have become more reasonable the key (IMO) should be to be as ready for the NFL game as possible, so that you can perform at as high a level as possible and then cash in on your 2nd contract.    That's where the real money is.

Because there's players who have shown school obviously didn't do a single thing to improve their maturity. Just because they go to college doesn't mean college is going to improve their maturity. Also, the last 4 years alone have shown more juniors and underclassmen are being taken higher in the draft than seniors. Experience does matter, but it's not like a 3-4 year starter means they're more likely to succeed in the NFL than someone who's player 1-2 years in college. If anything rookie contracts have given teams more reason to take risk. If they fail, they at least don't take up as much cap space as before. 

Because there's players who have shown school obviously didn't do a single thing to improve their maturity. Just because they go to college doesn't mean college is going to improve their maturity. Also, the last 4 years alone have shown more juniors and underclassmen are being taken higher in the draft than seniors. Experience does matter, but it's not like a 3-4 year starter means they're more likely to succeed in the NFL than someone who's player 1-2 years in college. If anything rookie contracts have given teams more reason to take risk. If they fail, they at least don't take up as much cap space as before. 

I think we're talking about different things.

I'm not against kids coming out early....   I'm not encouraging every kid to stay school all four years.

But I am encouraging kids who are quarterbacks.    They need the experience.    And Winston surely needs to grow-up and learn how to think about people other than himself.   He needs to learn how to see the Big Picture.    He needs to grow-up.

And, for his family,  they say it's very important that Jameis stays in schools and graduates.    If it's that important for the family,  then I'm all in favor of the kid staying in school.

Hope that clarifies my thinking....

]

On that note Winston got himself an insurance policy worth about $10 million

http://msn.foxsports.com/college-football/story/jameis-winston-insurance-policies-loss-of-value-disability-10-million-dolars-florida-state-070114

I think the idea that he's going to automatically be a top 10 pick is presuming a lot.  His red flags on character are going to make teams shy away from him.  

Grow.    Up.

Get.       Better.

Personally I don't think there's any right answer that can be applied to every player and every situation.  Each player and situation is unique.  

Grow.    Up.

Get.       Better.

I'm a bit advocate of this theory (especially when it comes to guys in the NBA), but at the same time, the NCAA don't offer any financial compensation to their players and A LOT of these guys need money ASAP.

If the NCAA would start paying players small sums of money for autograph signings, jersey sales, etc, then there would be more incentive to stick around, but that's not the case.

A great example of how this system could work is the "Junior" system in hockey. Hockey players in "Junior" leagues get paid good amount of money. On a low end, you make a few hundreds dollars a week, and on a high end could make almost a thousand a week. If the NCAA would develop this type of system and not penalize players who borrow $200, then players would have incentive to stay and get their education. Unfortunately, the money in the NFL is tempting and I don't blame them for leaving. 

I'm a bit advocate of this theory (especially when it comes to guys in the NBA), but at the same time, the NCAA don't offer any financial compensation to their players and A LOT of these guys need money ASAP.

If the NCAA would start paying players small sums of money for autograph signings, jersey sales, etc, then there would be more incentive to stick around, but that's not the case.

A great example of how this system could work is the "Junior" system in hockey. Hockey players in "Junior" leagues get paid good amount of money. On a low end, you make a few hundreds dollars a week, and on a high end could make almost a thousand a week. If the NCAA would develop this type of system and not penalize players who borrow $200, then players would have incentive to stay and get their education. Unfortunately, the money in the NFL is tempting and I don't blame them for leaving. 

Another thing is that if they are poor and need money then only a very few people are allowed to help them out even if it just means buying them a freaking loaf of bread.  

For a lot of these guys their coaches could be the only people in their lives that both care about them and have access to money to help them.  But if the coach takes his own money, buys his player some food and brings it to him then it's an NCAA violation.

The rules on this are so tough that if a player merely catches a ride from an assistant coach back to his dorm after practice then it's a violation.

There are several things the NCAA could do but a big huge one needs to be to stop attempting to regulate every aspect of their player's lives and stop attempting to regulate every aspect of the player/coach relationship.  

I went to a small university, 3600 students.  I honestly can't imagine having had every aspect of my relationships with my professors regulated like the NCAA does with the coach/athlete relationship.  

Grow.    Up.

Get.       Better.

Did you go to college?  If so, let me ask you this.

If someone, after 2 years of college, offered you 7 million dollars for you to work for them for 4 years but you had to drop out of school, Would you do it?  

seems more like college will always be there and not necessarily the NFL. 

Did you go to college?  If so, let me ask you this.

If someone, after 2 years of college, offered you 7 million dollars for you to work for them for 4 years but you had to drop out of school, Would you do it?  

seems more like college will always be there and not necessarily the NFL. 

As I said elsewhere in this thread.....    quarterback is the one position where more experience is critical.    It's better for the kid.

I'm not opposed to kids leaving college early and going pro.    But a quarterback should stay as long as he can and get the experience he needs.

And since crazy rookie contracts are no longer possible due to the new CBA,  the rookie contract isn't the big deal it used to be.

It's the 2nd contract.    And if you want a great 2nd contract,  you had better be great during your rookie contract.   So, if you're going to be all you can be during your rookie contract,  then, as a QB,  be best to get better on the college level.

Besides,  Winston is so immature, that going to the NFL too soon might not be too good for him.   He's not ready for all that money,  all that freedom.

He'll probably go pro after this year.   But if I were advising him,  I'd say stay in school.....

• 1 month later...

Not. If. You. Get. Injured, Which. Is. Very. Possible. Because. You. Play. Football.

Better. To. take. the. salary. of. one. year. in. nfl. because. it, is, more. than. the average. person, will. ever. make. in. their. life.

Not. If. You. Get. Injured, Which. Is. Very. Possible. Because. You. Play. Football.

Better. To. take. the. salary. of. one. year. in. nfl. because. it, is, more. than. the average. person, will. ever. make. in. their. life.

It rarely happens that you get hurt and can't play ball any more.

Can you give some examples of a player who was to be drafted high but tumbled down the draft because he got hurt?

The odds of injury leading to falling in the draft, or not being drafted are very small.

The odds are greater that you'll play and perhaps not do as well and you fall simply due to performance.     That's typically the fear most players have.

The dad says it's important to Jameis and to the family that he gets his degree.    Personally,  I don't think it happens the way I hope.    I think he plays one more year and comes out.    But I think he'd be better off staying in for two more years.    Jameis is very immature and needs to grow-up.

That's the view from the West Coast.........

Can you give some examples of a player who was to be drafted high but tumbled down the draft because he got hurt?

The odds of injury leading to falling in the draft, or not being drafted are very small.

The odds are greater that you'll play and perhaps not do as well and you fall simply due to performance.     That's typically the fear most players have.

The dad says it's important to Jameis and to the family that he gets his degree.    Personally,  I don't think it happens the way I hope.    I think he plays one more year and comes out.    But I think he'd be better off staying in for two more years.    Jameis is very immature and needs to grow-up.

It would be a good idea for him, Given his off field issues and such, if he went in next years draft his off field issues would be most of what we heard about....well almost as much as his success, Hopefully the kid will grow up.

The odds are greater that you'll play and perhaps not do as well and you fall simply due to performance. That's typically the fear most players have.

The dad says it's important to Jameis and to the family that he gets his degree. Personally, I don't think it happens the way I hope. I think he plays one more year and comes out. But I think he'd be better off staying in for two more years. Jameis is very immature and needs to grow-up.

Some really fair points, my view is there are millions at stake so why take any chances?

But I see and respect your arguement

As I said elsewhere in this thread.....    quarterback is the one position where more experience is critical.    It's better for the kid.

I'm not opposed to kids leaving college early and going pro.    But a quarterback should stay as long as he can and get the experience he needs.

And since crazy rookie contracts are no longer possible due to the new CBA,  the rookie contract isn't the big deal it used to be.

It's the 2nd contract.    And if you want a great 2nd contract,  you had better be great during your rookie contract.   So, if you're going to be all you can be during your rookie contract,  then, as a QB,  be best to get better on the college level.

Besides,  Winston is so immature, that going to the NFL too soon might not be too good for him.   He's not ready for all that money,  all that freedom.

He'll probably go pro after this year.   But if I were advising him,  I'd say stay in school.....

I think it depends on the individual and not saying you don't have a point . However to say that all the QB's should stay in school might be a little too general.

1) The second contract you speak of is 4 to 5 (1st rounders have that 5th year option) years down the road. So he has plenty of time to develope before that 2nd contract comes up.

2) It also depends on the college system he's in. RG111 for example played in an offense that really didn't get him ready for the pro game.He was never under center , spread offense with mostly one read. Now granted Shanahan didn't do him any favors running that suicide offense that not only beat him up but slowed his development . But point is sometimes a QB might develop quicker in the pro game , than he would in a bad college offense. Your point is well taken with Mark Sanchez , he would have been far better served to stay in school another year. However he did rake in millions and millions and if stayed another year and bombed , who knows how much he would have made. But like you say , it's different now but 25 mill for the first contract is still not chicken feed.

3) You say should always stay in school for the experience. Does that mean he should stay until his eligibility is up ? Other words , if QB's red shirt a year and play the next two … are you saying they should always stay in school then too ? 

If Matt Barkley had come out his Jr year , does he still go in round 4? 

IMO… I think it just totally depends on the player , regardless of the position he plays.

I think it depends on the individual and not saying you don't have a point . However to say that all the QB's should stay in school might be a little too general.

1) The second contract you speak of is 4 to 5 (1st rounders have that 5th year option) years down the road. So he has plenty of time to develope before that 2nd contract comes up.

2) It also depends on the college system he's in. RG111 for example played in an offense that really didn't get him ready for the pro game.He was never under center , spread offense with mostly one read. Now granted Shanahan didn't do him any favors running that suicide offense that not only beat him up but slowed his development . But point is sometimes a QB might develop quicker in the pro game , than he would in a bad college offense. Your point is well taken with Mark Sanchez , he would have been far better served to stay in school another year. However he did rake in millions and millions and if stayed another year and bombed , who knows how much he would have made. But like you say , it's different now but 25 mill for the first contract is still not chicken feed.

3) You say should always stay in school for the experience. Does that mean he should stay until his eligibility is up ? Other words , if QB's red shirt a year and play the next two … are you saying they should always stay in school then too ? 

If Matt Barkley had come out his Jr year , does he still go in round 4? 

IMO… I think it just totally depends on the player , regardless of the position he plays.

Actually,  from my post that you quoted, I believe my quote was to stay in school as long as you can.

Barkley is a good example against my view.   He was likely a 1st round pick if he came out the year before.   He stayed his 4th year and didn't have a good year and was clearly hurt by that.

That said.....    look at what Andrew Luck did.   He likely would've been the first overall pick ahead of Cam Newtwon if he had come out for the 2011 draft,  after he had been in school for 3 years and played for 2 years.     But not only did Luck not feel he was ready,  he wanted to help continue to grow the Stanford football program and he wanted to graduate with his class. 

So, he stayed another year.    He couldn't have been drafted any higher,  but he was more ready when he finally got to the NFL.   That 3rd year without question helped him.

I try not to have a 100% rule about anything.   But I'd say the vast majority of the time,  I think a QB staying in for another year is better for the kid.     So, I'm pulling for Mariotta and Hundley to do well.     They could have come out last year but they felt they needed another year.     That always makes me root for kids like that.    They want to get better.     I hope it works out for them.