Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pre camp final roster

Valpo2004

"People" may not count playoffs in career statistics - for obvious reasons - but we can be sure that Teams do.  Playoffs are played against the best competition in the league.  Production matters in that environment and the production that Brazill tallied in limited opportunities was noteworthy in the playoffs.

It took awhile for Brazill to be worked back into the rotation after his suspension, and he always had limited snaps, so regular season production measures are just as flawed as the limited sample size of post-season stats in this particular case.

Neither of those guys are going to get much PT, barring injury. So who is more valuable on STs? You just have to look at last years stats to see they trusted Whalen more, and he produced.

Pretty clear choice if that's the deciding point.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Robert Mathis' 19.5 sacks last year was the highest percentage of a team's total sacks than any other one player had for their team.

I think his number was roughly 46% of the Colts sacks.

No other player had a higher percentage of his teams total sacks than did Mathis.

Well, again that's because our defense is designed to put the Rush LB in the best matchup.  Baltimore's percentages would look very similar.  Dumerville and Suggs would combine for around the same percentage.  Now yes that's split between two of them, but I'm sure you'll agree that Dumerville is better than what our second best pass rusher was last year.  I expect Werner to take a second year jump and I'm curious to see what Newsome can do.  However, that's all about the LB core and we're talking about the DL.  

So let me say this, Mathis does not even sniff 19.5 sacks if the DL isn't doing their job.  I'm not saying he's a product of the system, but look at years past...11.5 is his highest sack output for a season.  He didn't just magically get even that much better last year, he finally got some help along the interior of the DL.  Mathis is going to get most of the praise, but he's only able to get it because the DL was doing their jobs.

Conclusion,  we're a one trick pony.    Stop Mathis and you there's not going to be much of a pass rush.  You're allowed to have a good pass rusher opposite Mathis.    It's not written anywhere that we can't.   

No, the conclusion would be that the DL is doing what they're supposed to do to allow Mathis to do what he does best.  And sure we can have a good pass rusher opposite Mathis and I think this year we will in an improved Werner.  But the point is they CAN'T stop Mathis so long as the rest of the DL is doing what they're supposed to do.  Also, if we had a good pass rusher opposite Mathis, that player would also be an OLB, not a DE so...perhaps your complaint is with the LB core and you just don't realize it. ;)

And you can have a good pass rusher on the DL, as Texas has with Watt and SF has with Justin Smith and NE had with Richard Seymour...And if you're under the impression that a 3-4 defense is not allowed to have a good pass rush,  you're mistaken.

Well both Watt and Smith play in a 1-gap defense, not a 2-gap like the Colts (mostly) do so poor examples. Richard Seymour averaged ~4.8 sacks per year while with NE.  I've already mentioned both Jones and Redding that had 4 and 4.5 sacks respectively last year, plus RJF who was on the same pace had he not missed time due to injury.  It seems as though you completely ignored that part.  So no I'm not at all mistaken.  However if you expect more than 4-5 sacks per year out of any individual DL then you're going to be disappointed.  In this defense, the majority of sacks are going to be from the LB's.  if we can get 10-15 sacks per year combined from the DL then I think we're doing good.  

And I'd add this.....   if we're getting a good pass rush,  we're certainly not doing a good job of stopping the run.

So, between our pass rush (however you want to grade it) and our lack of ability to stop the run,  I don't see where the DL unit is all that great?!?      What do they do that's so special?

You didn't have to add the part about stopping the run because it was already mentioned in your last post. ;)  But what does the unit do that's all that great?  Well I've already touched on how they're obviously doing their jobs in passing downs to allow Mathis to get the 19.5 sacks that he got.  Plus Redding, Jones and RJF primarily also got to the QB.  Chapman got a few pressures in the very limited pass rush opportunities that he got.  Against the run?  The unit wasn't quite as good but again I put a lot of that on Franklin, though RJF did struggle early on as well since this was his first year in this defense.  But again to answer your question about what they do well, for the most part they clogged their gaps, held their blockers etc..the things that a DL is supposed to do in a 2-gap 3-4 defense.  They kept ILB's clean, but the ILB's on many occasions were not able to make plays due to poor gap discipline, poor angles taken etc and the same can be said for the safeties in run support.

Leaving out QB, where Luck/Hasselbeck are a very good unit,  then I'd say WR is the best unit on the team.    And since Mathis plays LB and not DE,  I'd say LB is a better unit than the DL...

Well again, if you want a natural pass rusher like Mathis to be on the other side of Mathis, that guy would also, like Mathis, be an OLB/DE hybrid.  Since you put Mathis in the LB core (and rightfully so) then this other player would also be an OLB/DE hybrid that you would also put in the LB core.  So again, I think your issue is actually with the LB core and not the DL.  Personally I would say our DL rotation is better and far more proven than our LB core as of now.  We know what Walden is, he's never going to be the pass rush threat opposite Mathis that you/we want.  Werner could very well be but we'll have to see how he improves this year.  I think he can and will be but we'll have to see.  Newsome could be another guy but again, he hasn't played a snap in the NFL so who knows. Lots of potential but so far unproven.

Pagano has talked about the defense this off-season moving and reacting much faster....   he chalks it up to being in the defense for another year and understanding it better....   so, the unit is playing faster....

So, I'm hopeful that potential turns into reality.    But again,  it's potential....    they have to prove themselves, to live up to the potential on the field....

When that happens,  I'll be a happy fan...

At this stage I am think the roster will look like as follow

Quarterbacks

1.Luck-1

2.Hasselbeck-2

Running Backs

1.Richardson-3

2.Ballard-4

3.Bradshaw-5

4.Rainey-6(Returner value though I'd rather have Whalen doing that)

Tight Ends

1.Allen-7

2.Fleener-8

3.Swope-9

Wide Receivers

1.Wayne-10

2.Nicks-11

3.Hilton-12

4.Rodgers-13

5.Moncrief-14

O Linemen

1.Castonzo-15

2.Thomas-16

3.Holmes-17

4.Thornton-18

5.Cherilus-19

6.Mewhort-20

7.Nix-21

8.Louis-22

9.Harrison-23

D Line

1.Jones-24

2.Redding-25

3.Francois-26

4.Hughes-27

5.Chapman-28

6.Pendleton-29

7.Kerr-30

OLB

1.Werner-31

2.Walden-32

3.Johnson-33

4.Studebaker-34

5.Morgan-35

6.Newsom-36

7.Overton-37

ILB's

1.Freeman-38

2.D Jackson-39

3.Mcnary-40

4.A. Jackson-41

Cornerbacks

1.Davis-42

2.Toler-43

3.Butler-44

4.Burton-45

5.Qua Cox-46

6.Gordy-47

Safeties

1.Landry-48

2.Howell-49

3.Adams-50

4.Brown-51

Kicker

1.Vinatieri-52

Punter

1.Mcafee-53

Mathis will make 54...So one has to go......Studebaker or Morgan

Suspended

1.Mathis

Practice Squad

1.Kameron Jackson-Corner

2.Nnamdi Obukwelu-D Line

3.Henoc Muamba-Linebacker

4.Dewey Mcdonald-Safety

5.Ulrick John-Guard

6.Greg Moore-WR

7.Tony Washinton-WR

8.Loucheiz Purifoy-CB

Pagano has talked about the defense this off-season moving and reacting much faster....   he chalks it up to being in the defense for another year and understanding it better....   so, the unit is playing faster....

So, I'm hopeful that potential turns into reality.    But again,  it's potential....    they have to prove themselves, to live up to the potential on the field....

When that happens,  I'll be a happy fan...

I feel as if the issue is that he doesn't know how to attack the other OLB position. Everyone seems to be able to play Rush OLB, but there doesn't seem to be a plan for the other OLB position. The rest of the defense is getting better, but they're ignoring that position.

Neither of those guys are going to get much PT, barring injury. So who is more valuable on STs? You just have to look at last years stats to see they trusted Whalen more, and he produced.

Pretty clear choice if that's the deciding point.

Whalen produced on punt returns.  Brazill is excellence in coverage.  He is not afraid to throw his body around.

What does Pagano want?  A punt returner or coverage guy?

This is one reason Moncrief is so important.  Will he return kicks/punts???

I feel as if the issue is that he doesn't know how to attack the other OLB position. Everyone seems to be able to play Rush OLB, but there doesn't seem to be a plan for the other OLB position. The rest of the defense is getting better, but they're ignoring that position.

Ignoring?

They spent a 1st round pick on Werner, though it's not clear if his long-term position is going to be strong side or weak...   but if I had to guess, I'd guess strong-side.

They went out a year ago and bought Walden and his best side is clearly strong-side...  

This year they drafted Newsome,  whose long-term position may be to replace Mathis.....

Not sure if "ignore" was the word you wanted to use, or something else?       Not sure what else you wanted done?    Between Pagano and Grigson "know how to attack" I don't think is their problem.......

I think it has been said that the primary role of that position is to set the edge in the running game.  I assume that there are times when dropping into coverage is planned, and rushing the passer is planned. 

I think there is a plan for that OLB position....I just think it is not a very high profile position.

This is why I think Werner might ultimately end up there.  A player who is athletic and smart enough to do all three things reasonably well, but not really gifted enough to be elite at any one duty.   As the rush LB, you want a player who is an elite pass rusher,  while taking what he can give you when asked to do other things, on the rare occaision that he is asked to do them. 

Others have disagreed about Werner.  It'll be interesting to see how this shakes out.

Running Backs

1.Richardson-3

2.Ballard-4

3.Bradshaw-5

Wide Receivers

1.Wayne-10

2.Nicks-11

3.Hilton-12

4.Rodgers-13

5.Moncrief-14

D Line

1.Jones-24

2.Redding-25

3.Francois-26

4.Hughes-27

5.Chapman-28

6.Pendleton-29

7.Kerr-30

Yes. 

With all of the debate over Brazil-or-Whalen, I think there is a good chance that neither makes the final 53.  (Trade them both to Cleveland now and let THEM figure out which one is better. :thmup: ..)

7 DL's with Pendleton provides more depth.

And we need a RB with some straight line speed, for a change up.

Yes. 

With all of the debate over Brazil-or-Whalen, I think there is a good chance that neither makes the final 53.  (Trade them both to Cleveland now and let THEM figure out which one is better. :thmup: ..)

7 DL's with Pendleton provides more depth.

And we need a RB with some straight line speed, for a change up.

We could go with 5 Corners and add Whalen as a 6th receiver do to his Returner value

Ignoring?

They spent a 1st round pick on Werner, though it's not clear if his long-term position is going to be strong side or weak...   but if I had to guess, I'd guess strong-side.

They went out a year ago and bought Walden and his best side is clearly strong-side...  

This year they drafted Newsome,  whose long-term position may be to replace Mathis.....

Not sure if "ignore" was the word you wanted to use, or something else?       Not sure what else you wanted done?    Between Pagano and Grigson "know how to attack" I don't think is their problem.......

I never understood really why some used the term "strong side" or "weak side" Because all it takes is that TE or WR to be sent in motion and that "strong side" now becomes the "weak side"

I disagree.

Redding was really good last year, much better than he was in 2012. I'm not sure why you say he's in decline, aside from his age. Chapman was strong at NT, but didn't have the conditioning to get more snaps. RJF was inconsistent, but also fought injury. Like you say, he should be better. Hughes, I think, showed a lot of ability when he was on the field, and hopefully he is on the field more. Plus, like you say again, we added Jones, one of the best DL in free agency this year.

We need a second NT, and some guys have to play to the expectations I think we all have. But I, too, think the DL will be a strength this year. 

Redding, not sure how folks could miss it, graded negatively in 5 games last season. He also got Mopped up in both KC games and by NE. Call it what you want.

Hughes is the 2nd NT and A Jones is slated for play there too. RJF plays NT very well in pass situations.

McKinney, if we have an injury, is a lock over project Kerr who would be safe on the PS.

Moncrief, Rodgers, Brazill, and Whalen all have a chance to make the roster. We don't know if we'll keep Reggie around. 35 and coming back from injury. You have all these younger players to consider. I thought they wouldn't let Manning go. We didn't resign Freeney. A lot of things to think about. Some may disagree, but you have to think is all I'm saying. With all the needs we had and with limited picks it had me thinking. There is also resigning Luck next season. Mathis or Wayne are the choice to be considered on which one we keep next season and who we let go.

Quarterbacks

1.Luck-1

2.Hasselbeck-2

Running Backs

1.Richardson-3

2.Ballard-4

3.Bradshaw-5

Tight Ends

1.Allen-7

2.Fleener-8

3.Swope-9

Wide Receivers

1.Wayne-10

2.Nicks-11

3.Hilton-12

4.Rodgers-13

5.Moncrief-14

O Linemen

1.Castonzo-15

2.Thomas-16

3.Holmes-17

4.Thornton-18

5.Cherilus-19

6.Mewhort-20

7.Nix-21

8.Louis-22

9.Harrison-23

D Line

1.Jones-24

2.Redding-25

3.Francois-26

4.Hughes-27

5.Chapman-28

6.Pendleton-29

7.Kerr-30

OLB

1.Werner-31

2.Walden-32

3.Johnson-33

4.Studebaker-34

5.Morgan-35

6.Newsom-36

7.Overton-37

ILB's

1.Freeman-38

2.D Jackson-39

3.Mcnary-40

4.A. Jackson-41

Cornerbacks

1.Davis-42

2.Toler-43

3.Butler-44

4.Burton-45

5.Qua Cox-46

6.Gordy-47

Safeties

1.Landry-48

2.Howell-49

3.Adams-50

4.Brown-51

Kicker

1.Vinatieri-52

Punter

1.Mcafee-53

Suspended

1.Mathis

Practice Squad

1.Kameron Jackson-Corner

2.Nnamdi Obukwelu-D Line

4.Dewey Mcdonald-Safety

5.Ulrick John-Guard

6.Greg Moore-WR

7.Tony Washinton-WR

8.Loucheiz Purifoy-CB

Excellent.

My best bets.

Doyle will make the roster, i`d bet your left ___ on it. ;) 

Would see Kerr safe on PS to start the season.

Maybe no Morgan also.

Injuries of course will quickly add opps somewhere.

Love the Roster building going into year 3.

Moncrief, Rodgers, Brazill, and Whalen all have a chance to make the roster. We don't know if we'll keep Reggie around. 35 and coming back from injury. You have all these younger players to consider. I thought they wouldn't let Manning go. We didn't resign Freeney. A lot of things to think about. Some may disagree, but you have to think is all I'm saying. With all the needs we had and with limited picks it had me thinking. There is also resigning Luck next season. Mathis or Wayne are the choice to be considered on which one we keep next season and who we let go.

"We don't know if we'll keep Reggie around"

:funny:  I needed that laugh

Redding, not sure how folks could miss it, graded negatively in 5 games last season. He also got Mopped up in both KC games and by NE. Call it what you want.

Hughes is the 2nd NT and A Jones is slated for play there too. RJF plays NT very well in pass situations.

McKinney, if we have an injury, is a lock over project Kerr who would be safe on the PS.

:: sighs ::

I don't know why I'm even responding...

Redding graded negatively according to whom? PFF? Because they graded him positively in both playoff games, the ones you claim he got mopped up in. So either you're going to use PFF as your trump card, or you're not, but please don't try to play both sides here.

And PFF had him as a +21 on the season, (+18.5 against the run), compared to the -5.5 they gave him in 2012 (-2.0 against the run). My point was that Redding was much better in 2013 than he was in 2012, which is in dispute to the claim that he's slowing down. I hope that's not too complicated of a concept.

Anecdotal point: Cory Redding had a fantastic stop on 3rd and goal in the WC game against KC. Mopped up? Not even close.

Last thing, our rotation at NT is far from set. If nothing else, having depth in the preseason will limit injury and keep guys fresh.

Jason.....

I want to make another post here to stress a point I made earlier.....

I think this group has potential....

I just want to see it.     My comments about not being a strength refer to right now -- today, June 20 -- but not down the road.

I would not rule out the group having a good year.    Perhaps they'll have a good season.    Perhaps guys like Jones or RJF, or Hughes  will pop with a big year....   and someone will have 6 or more sacks.    I wouldn't rule that out.  

I'd be very happy if that happens.    I just want to see it happen first before I proclaim they're a strength of the team....

Hope that clarifies.....

Just to interject...

We're talking about final rosters in mid-June. All of this is a projection of what we hope the team looks like. 

We all recognize that the secondary has a lot to prove, and that we'll need some of the OLBs to step up and help the pass rush. But projecting the strengths of the defense, I think most of us would default to the defensive line. Doesn't mean it's proven as a top ten unit, but like Grigson said the other day, we have the horses. I think that's most true of our defense at DL. I don't think anyone is proclaiming it as absolute fact just yet. Just anticipating.

Similarly on offense, the receiving corps should be strong. There are lots of question marks (pretty much everyone but Hilton and Fleener, at this point), but we anticipate that we'll have a nice stable of weapons in the passing game. That's also a projection, just like saying that the DL should be a strength.

JMO

Mathis is under contract through 2016. I don't think there's very much chance we'll let him go before then. It would take an extreme change in circumstance between now and next March, I think.

As for Reggie, his situation is different than Manning and Freeney. Much different, I think. The money is only a fraction of what Manning was on the hook for, and we have a season with Reggie under contract to see whether he can play at a high level. And even if he isn't at the same level he was before, he can be retained for not much money, easily. This administration has already shown a commitment to keeping Reggie around, even after a bad season in 2011. Lots of things can happen this season, but I think we'll try to keep Reggie around for as long as he wants to be here. 

Mathis is under contract through 2016.

Small but important nit to pick....

Robert is actually under contract through 2015....   he becomes an Unrestricted Free Agent in 2016...   I suspect that's what you meant...

But, here's his Spotrac page....

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/indianapolis-colts/robert-mathis/

I would say the only questions surrounding Mathis are how much longer would he like to play and how long of an extension will he ask for and how many years are we willing to give?    One at a time?   Multiple years?    If so, how many?

But those are nice problems to have.....       :thmup:

Robert is actually under contract through 2015....   he becomes an Unrestricted Free Agent in 2016...   I suspect that's what you meant...

I would say the only questions surrounding Mathis are how much longer would he like to play and how long of an extension will he ask for and how many years are we willing to give?    One at a time?   Multiple years?    If so, how many?

But those are nice problems to have.....       :thmup:

That is what I meant. Nice catch. 

There are two seasons before Mathis' contract expires. A lot can change. I assume he'll want to keep playing, but he'll be looking for a rare 4th contract with the same team, and he'll be 35. I think we better have some other highly rated pass rushers in the stable before then, because Mathis will likely be no more than a situational pass rusher at that point.

Robert is actually under contract through 2015.... he becomes an Unrestricted Free Agent in 2016... I suspect that's what you meant...

I would say the only questions surrounding Mathis are how much longer would he like to play and how long of an extension will he ask for and how many years are we willing to give? One at a time? Multiple years? If so, how many?

But those are nice problems to have..... :thmup:

Glad your putting up this info. I'm not trying to be negative about the situation we're in. I love both of them. I love Robert more not going to lie. He'll retweet you or have a conversation with you. He is top notch as they come. However next season unless Luck takes a discount one of them has to go.

Glad your putting up this info. I'm not trying to be negative about the situation we're in. I love both of them. I love Robert more not going to lie. He'll retweet you or have a conversation with you. He is top notch as they come. However next season unless Luck takes a discount one of them has to go.

I'm sorry,  what did I miss?

By both of them,  I assume you mean Luck and Mathis?    Or is it Mathis and someone else?    Not sure which?

As for the salary issues....    no worries,  the team will not have to pick between Andrew and Mathis....   both are factored in comfortably with the salary cap.      We're good there.     Seriously!      :thmup:

I'm sorry,  what did I miss?

By both of them,  I assume you mean Luck and Mathis?    Or is it Mathis and someone else?    Not sure which?

As for the salary issues....    no worries,  the team will not have to pick between Andrew and Mathis....   both are factored in comfortably with the salary cap.      We're good there.     Seriously!      :thmup:

I think that he was referring to a choice between reggie or robert...

Not this year but next offseason, depending how things shake out this year, I think that some really serious decisions might need to be made about going with veterans or moving on with a youth movement.

I hate it when proven veterans, favorites are released, but to truly build for the future it is necessary. This FO seems not afraid to move on quickly when it is financially prudent. We shall see!  I've got a feeling that some truly loved veterans my exit next year.

I think that he was referring to a choice between reggie or robert...

Not this year but next offseason, depending how things shake out this year, I think that some really serious decisions might need to be made about going with veterans or moving on with a youth movement.

I hate it when proven veterans, favorites are released, but to truly build for the future it is necessary. This FO seems not afraid to move on quickly when it is financially prudent. We shall see!  I've got a feeling that some truly loved veterans my exit next year.

Thanks....   I appreciate you setting that straight for me...    I didn't see that...

There won't be a choice to be made between Reggie and Robert.    If they both can play,  Grigson will find a way.

Let's not forget,  the salary cap is set to go up,  potentially way up....     I don't think we'll have too many choices over keeping this guy or that guy....   not even when Luck goes through the roof.    Grigson has talked extensively about it for months...  

I could be wrong on this....   but we seem very well set-up financially for a number of years to come......

Mathis is under contract through 2016. I don't think there's very much chance we'll let him go before then. It would take an extreme change in circumstance between now and next March, I think.

As for Reggie, his situation is different than Manning and Freeney. Much different, I think. The money is only a fraction of what Manning was on the hook for, and we have a season with Reggie under contract to see whether he can play at a high level. And even if he isn't at the same level he was before, he can be retained for not much money, easily. This administration has already shown a commitment to keeping Reggie around, even after a bad season in 2011. Lots of things can happen this season, but I think we'll try to keep Reggie around for as long as he wants to be here. 

I honestly feel like we need Reggie around more for his veteran presence an ability to teach the young receivers, than we do his play-making skills. I noticed last year that the offense really stalled when he was out. That was a combination of bad offensive playcalling and not having an immediate replacement. But we still won that playoff game in KC. Now that we have two young studs in Moncrief and Rodgers, I think it's a matter of them picking Wayne's brain as much as they can.

I feel like we are a little more prepared offensively now. I feel like that's the reason we brought in Nicks and drafted Moncrief. They don't want to be caught off guard again and need other playmakers besides Reggie, because Hilton can't do it all. I think the staff is already looking at post-Reggie plans. They still want him around of course, but I don't think he'll be around for more than 2 more seasons.

As far as the DL, I'm confining my comments to the OP's roster and whether or not I can say the DL will be improved from last year.

Kerr is an UDFA. How anybody can have any faith in him doing more than Franklin did last year, at this point, I don't understand.

Redding, good or average now, is getting older and will likely have snaps more limited.

Does Hughes get more snaps? He showed nothing last year to say he is anything other than a project.

RJF is decent. A good signing and worth the money. But he's getting paid like a non probowler and plays like one.

Chapman didn't show that he was much of a presence at NT really.

As I said, IF the youngsters play to their potential, yes the DL is good.

Frankly...I don't see any real reason to expect the defense to be markedly better than last year's defense. It was a poor defense last year.....and the first three round draft picks went for offense....and we lost Bethea with no real evidence of an adequate replacement.

Jones and DQ should help. But I don't think those two are capable of putting us into top 15 status .......without the improvement in the youngsters.

You had a sure "like" coming your way until you made that Chapman statement

:scorebad:

I stopped reading at that point

I hear people say this a lot but what exactly is it about Brazill that makes anyone think he has more upside than Whalen?  And what does it really mean?  

To both, perhaps he's not doing enough to EARN more reps.

Brazil plays much bigger than Whalen, and has the speed to get down field to make the big plays.

Nevertheless, Brazil brought this on his self, by getting suspended for 4 games last year.

Brazil - has served a 4 game suspension and is one substance violation away from losing a year.

Whalen - has had an injury that put him out for an entire season.

Both could make it on another roster in the NFL. Both could make it on the Colts roster if we experience another injury in the off-season.

My thinking is we will showcase Brazil in the preseason. I believe he will get a ton of reps, and if we stay healthy at WR, then we could see Brazil traded. If we don't get any bites then hopefully Whalen has some PS eligibility left.

You had a sure "like" coming your way until you made that Chapman statement

:scorebad:

I stopped reading at that point

Ha.  I actually hesitated to post it because I didn't really believe it myself.  So far, I think the fact that he played at AL with a torn ACL and his squat lifting ability kind of projected him to be more of a presence than what he showed last year, IMO.

Interestingly, the two articles in the Indy Star today made it sound like Jones will be the starting NT with Chapman backing him up.  That's not what I would expect.

I also put A. Jackson on the 53 moreso because he was a draft pick and Muamba was not, After rewatching Muamba quite I think we could potentially have another steal down the road or unless one of our starting ILB's goes down and he is asked to play, Muamba in my opinion is the better all around ILB where as Jackson at this stage is a pure run stopper who lacks play recognition right now to be an every down ILB

He doesn't compare to either of those guys because he doesn't play like them. I get it, we sometimes default to comparing white receivers other white receivers. But no one would ever compare Griff Whalen to either of those two guys.

Can I compare Whalen to Brandon Stokely?

As stereotypical as it is, he actually compares to Austin Collie. I know some people say Welker, but Welker could also play on the outside. Whalen is a pure slot guy.

He played on the outside some last year if I remember right

He played on the outside some last year if I remember right

Did he? Wonder how many snaps he got as an outside receiver. But if he can learn to be impactful on the outside, his ceiling may be Wes Welker, but he's most like Collie Right now.

Quarterbacks

1.Luck-1

2.Hasselbeck-2

Running Backs

1.Richardson-3

2.Ballard-4

3.Bradshaw-5

Tight Ends

1.Allen-7

2.Fleener-8

3.Swope-9

Wide Receivers

1.Wayne-10

2.Nicks-11

3.Hilton-12

4.Rodgers-13

5.Moncrief-14

O Linemen

1.Castonzo-15

2.Thomas-16

3.Holmes-17

4.Thornton-18

5.Cherilus-19

6.Mewhort-20

7.Nix-21

8.Louis-22

9.Harrison-23

D Line

1.Jones-24

2.Redding-25

3.Francois-26

4.Hughes-27

5.Chapman-28

6.Pendleton-29

7.Kerr-30

OLB

1.Werner-31

2.Walden-32

3.Johnson-33

4.Studebaker-34

5.Morgan-35

6.Newsom-36

7.Overton-37

ILB's

1.Freeman-38

2.D Jackson-39

3.Mcnary-40

4.A. Jackson-41

Cornerbacks

1.Davis-42

2.Toler-43

3.Butler-44

4.Burton-45

5.Qua Cox-46

6.Gordy-47

Safeties

1.Landry-48

2.Howell-49

3.Adams-50

4.Brown-51

Kicker

1.Vinatieri-52

Punter

1.Mcafee-53

Suspended

1.Mathis

Practice Squad

1.Kameron Jackson-Corner

2.Nnamdi Obukwelu-D Line

4.Dewey Mcdonald-Safety

5.Ulrick John-Guard

6.Greg Moore-WR

7.Tony Washinton-WR

8.Loucheiz Purifoy-CB

Why did you put our long snapper as an OLB?

Why did you put our long snapper as an OLB?

isn't he actually an OLB outside an LS....Maybe he is a TE...forgets, Outside of him long snapping Im not used to him playing another position, But I thought he was either an OLB or TE

isn't he actually an OLB outside an LS....Maybe he is a TE...forgets, Outside of him long snapping Im not used to him playing another position, But I thought he was either an OLB or TE

Always been listed as LS....

I had a couple I wasgoing to debate with you on...but decided not to.  :)

I do fear if we put the best defensive player from the CFL on the PS he will be snagged in a heart-beat.  The Patriots really wanted him too. (Muamba)

Nobody has McKinney making the team? Barring injury, i think he is a lock

Everybody seems to think an UDFA is making it instead.......

Gonna be tough for the big fella after 2 years off.  As hot as it is this year...Pags and Manusky will find out what B Mc has left.