Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pre camp final roster

Valpo2004

Here is my guess as to the makeup of the final roster. Please note at the bottom Robert Mathis is on the reserve/suspended list and doesn't count towards the final 53 until after week 4.    

QB: Luck, Hasselbeck

RB: Richardson, Bradshaw, Ballard

FB: Havili 

WR: Nicks, Hilton, Wayne, Rodgers, Moncrief, Whalen

TE: Allen, Fleener, Doyle

OT: Castanzo, Cherilus, Nixon, 

G: Mewhort, Thomas, Thornton, Reitz, Louis

C: Holmes, Harrison

DT: Jean Francois, Hughes

NT Chapman, Kerr

DE Jones, Redding

OLB Werner, Walden, Studebaker, Newsome

ILB: Freeman, D Jackson, A Jackson, McNary, Sheppard

CB: Davis, Toler, Butler, Gordy, Price

S: Landry, Howell, Brown, Adams, Anderson

LS: Overton

P McAffee

K Vinatieri  

Reserve/Suspended: Mathis

Practice Squad: Thomas, Swoope, Tipton, Purifoy, Lankford, Adongo, Ulrick, Muamba

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems reasonable.  Personally I would put Purifoy ahead of Price on the active roster and perhaps remove Sheppard from ILB and add Adongo to OLB and McDonald for Anderson at safety.  No reason other than personal preference.

I like this pending the camp battle at corner.  Grigs really likes Price.

I may be the only one talking about Jeris Pendleton.  Some have Kerr making the team....I would not in the least count out Pendleton.

I like this pending the camp battle at corner.  Grigs really likes Price.

I may be the only one talking about Jeris Pendleton.  Some have Kerr making the team....I would not in the least count out Pendleton.

Yeah, I didn't pay much attention to the DT.  I could Pendleton instead of Kerr.

Seems reasonable.  Personally I would put Purifoy ahead of Price on the active roster and perhaps remove Sheppard from ILB and add Adongo to OLB and McDonald for Anderson at safety.  No reason other than personal preference.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I may be mistaken here but didn't Price make some plays on special teams last year?

we're not carrying only three rbs. herron or rainey will make the team. whalen wont beat out brazill

There is a lot of disagreement about Brazil and Whalen.  Thing for me is that Brazil has been with the full team for 2 years and never eclipsed 200 yards in a season.  Also between Rodgers, Whalen and Brazil he had the least receiving yards.  

Sorry I'm going with production on this one.  Brazil has had more then enough time and opportunities to produce more.  He always has one big play per year that makes you think he can be good, but pretty much disappears other then that.

He's fast but Whalen has better route running and better hands. 

There is a lot of disagreement about Brazil and Whalen.  Thing for me is that Brazil has been with the full team for 2 years and never eclipsed 200 yards in a season.  Also between Rodgers, Whalen and Brazil he had the least receiving yards.  

Sorry I'm going with production on this one.  Brazil has had more then enough time and opportunities to produce more.  He always has one big play per year that makes you think he can be good, but pretty much disappears other then that.

He's fast but Whalen has better route running and better hands. 

brazill imo never gets enough reps, but when he does he makes plays. go back and watch him in the playoffs

I think people are sleeping on Brazil.

I also think Cox makes at least the practice squad. We will see what happens when pads go on but he just had another one hand int. He has been pointed out specifically in at least two OTA reports.

QB: Luck, Hasselbeck

RB: Richardson, Bradshaw, Ballard

FB: Havili

WR: Nicks, Hilton, Wayne, Rogers, Moncrief, Brazill

TE: Allen, Fleener, Saunders

OT: Castanzo, Cherilus, Nixon

G: Mewhort, Thomas, Thornton, Reitz, Louis

C: Holmes, Harrison

DT: Jean Francois, Hughes

NT: Chapman, Kerr

DE: Jones, Redding

(I have no idea how the DL depth chart will work out as I think we have 4 starters for 3 spots. It will probably be very fluid and changing often with different formations, so I'm gonna keep how he has it as I agree with the players)

OLB: Werner, Walden, Studebaker, Newsome, Adongo

ILB: Freeman, D Jackson, A Jackson, McNary

CB: Davis, Toler, Butler, Gordy, Purifoy

S: Landry, Howell, Adams, McDonald, Brown

LS: Overton

P McAffee

K Vinatieri

Reserve/Suspended: Mathis

Practice Squad: Thomas, Swoope, Tipton, Price, Ulrick, Muamba, Walker

I think he was on the PS all year Valpo.

Price was activated in the playoffs if I remember correctly.

No way Studebaker beats Adongo for the roster

I could see Cam Johnson beating both out for the final roster, especially considering Adongo is the only one of the 3 that could go back to the PS.  At least I'm pretty sure Adongo would still be eligible.

I agree with Coffeedrinkers changes.   Also, I'm not sure Havili, or any pure FB, makes the roster.  

And I hope that Hughes and Chapman improve their game from last year, or else that DL looks really average.

Chapman played well last year, especially considering it was essentially his rookie year.  Our DL is one of the strenths, not only of the defense, but of the entire team.

brazill imo never gets enough reps, but when he does he makes plays. go back and watch him in the playoffs

In the playoffs he had some nice plays no doubt in the New England game.  In the Chiefs game he was a real non factor.

Brazil has more upside speed and physical Whalen may have better routes and hands but Brazil if given more playing time will have a higher ceiling

I hear people say this a lot but what exactly is it about Brazill that makes anyone think he has more upside than Whalen?  And what does it really mean?  

To both, perhaps he's not doing enough to EARN more reps.

In the playoffs he had some nice plays no doubt in the New England game.  In the Chiefs game he was a real non factor.

I hear people say this a lot but what exactly is it about Brazill that makes anyone think he has more upside than Whalen?  And what does it really mean?  

To both, perhaps he's not doing enough to EARN more reps.

Brazil has more upside & skill, Whalen just gets % done & his punt return skills last year where impressive I think that gives him an edge over Brazil IMO.

he came back to help luck when he was about to get sacked and made a nice yac play. also set up the luck superman dive the previous play with a catch in the red zone

I think Harvey makes the team instead of Havili with his versatility. 

Harvey is a good ST player and is playing FB in OTA's. Also gives more depth at LB.

With all the weapons on offense and going more to a two TE set with Fleener and Allen i dont think we will use a FB as much as last season anyway.

I think Harvey makes the team instead of Havili with his versatility. 

Harvey is a good ST player and is playing FB in OTA's. Also gives more depth at LB.

With all the weapons on offense and going more to a two TE set with Fleener and Allen i dont think we will use a FB as much as last season anyway.

I am one who is with you on Harvey.  Those who do not like him are in the bathroom or getting a beer when the Special Teams are out there.  :)

It won't be Havili IF Harvey makes it though.  It will be an injury to the linebacker core.  I think we are stuck with a full back.

he came back to help luck when he was about to get sacked and made a nice yac play. also set up the luck superman dive the previous play with a catch in the red zone

Two plays is your example of him being a factor?  I've watched Brazill plenty, and I'm by no means trying to claim he is without talent, it's more that he has trouble getting open on a consistent basis or maybe he's not where he is supposed top be (hard to tell without knowing the play and the route.  And I don't think he is better than Whalen nor do I think he has more upside, I think he is limited in what he can accomplish as a WR.  And as Valpo pointed out in two years he has yet to catch for more than 200 yards in a year.  And that is on a team that has been really struggling at WR and needed someone to step up.

I am one who is with you on Harvey.  Those who do not like him are in the bathroom or getting a beer when the Special Teams are out there.   :)

It won't be Havili IF Harvey makes it though.  It will be an injury to the linebacker core.  I think we are stuck with a full back.

Corps.

Core is the center of...

Corps is a group of... ;)

Two plays is your example of him being a factor?  I've watched Brazill plenty, and I'm by no means trying to claim he is without talent, it's more that he has trouble getting open on a consistent basis or maybe he's not where he is supposed top be (hard to tell without knowing the play and the route.  And I don't think he is better than Whalen nor do I think he has more upside, I think he is limited in what he can accomplish as a WR.  And as Valpo pointed out in two years he has yet to catch for more than 200 yards in a year.  And that is on a team that has been really struggling at WR and needed someone to step up.

and what exactly memorable play has whalen made? I dont even remember him making a play in either playoff game

and what exactly memorable play has whalen made? I dont even remember him making a play in either playoff game.

Who cares about memorable plays.  He caught more passes for more yards and more 1st downs than Brazill did.  He showed the ability to get open, especially on 3rd down.  in THE Chiefs game 3rd and 7, Whalen gets a 17 yard play.  And the play that you credit Brazill with (catch that lead to Lucks fumble recovery and Superman dive... was Whalen.... 2nd and 6 Whalen catches a 9 yard pass to get it to the 10.  Brown runs for 8 yards and then the fumble/recovery/TD.

In the Pats game Brazill had two catches (big plays), Whalen had 5.  4 of them for 1st down (2 on 3rd down, 1 on second down and one of 4th down (Although the 4th down catch was on the Colts last drive when the game was already decided).

I will say, it was the growth of both Whalen and Brazill (and the potential of Rogers) why I thought the signing of Hakeem Nicks was not a good signing, then after drafting Moncrief the signing seems even more a waste.

I think people are sleeping on Brazil.

I also think Cox makes at least the practice squad. We will see what happens when pads go on but he just had another one hand int. He has been pointed out specifically in at least two OTA reports.

Maybe it is sleepy Brazzil`s inability to run routes and his 44% completion rate that his Homeys should be thinkin' about.  Oh ya, TY 2. ;-)

Who cares about memorable plays.  He caught more passes for more yards and more 1st downs than Brazill did.  He showed the ability to get open, especially on 3rd down.  in THE Chiefs game 3rd and 7, Whalen gets a 17 yard play.  And the play that you credit Brazill with (catch that lead to Lucks fumble recovery and Superman dive... was Whalen.... 2nd and 6 Whalen catches a 9 yard pass to get it to the 10.  Brown runs for 8 yards and then the fumble/recovery/TD.

In the Pats game Brazill had two catches (big plays), Whalen had 5.  4 of them for 1st down (2 on 3rd down, 1 on second down and one of 4th down (Although the 4th down catch was on the Colts last drive when the game was already decided).

I will say, it was the growth of both Whalen and Brazill (and the potential of Rogers) why I thought the signing of Hakeem Nicks was not a good signing, then after drafting Moncrief the signing seems even more a waste.

fine he gets first downs and finds ways to get open, but does he make the big play? can he get yac yards? does he have the speed to take the top off a defense? whalen is a good player, but hes not wes welker and hes not austin collie

fine he gets first downs and finds ways to get open, but does he make the big play? can he get yac yards? does he have the speed to take the top off a defense? whalen is a good player, but hes not wes welker and hes not austin collie

1.  No he just makes plays.

2.  Yes, several of those first down catches came when he caught the ball before the first down marker.

3.  Nope, but he has enough speed to matter.  On the flip side, the Colts have TY and Moncrief to stretch the field and Brazill does not have the speed to take the top off a defense either.

4.  Who said he was Wes Welker or Austin Collie (funny you pick two white receivers to compare him to but that's another topic).  Brazill is not Wes Welker or Austin Collie either.

1.  No he just makes plays.

2.  Yes, several of those first down catches came when he caught the ball before the first down marker.

3.  Nope, but he has enough speed to matter.  On the flip side, the Colts have TY and Moncrief to stretch the field and Brazill does not have the speed to take the top off a defense either.

4.  Who said he was Wes Welker or Austin Collie (funny you pick two white receivers to compare him to but that's another topic).  Brazill is not Wes Welker or Austin Collie either.

that was not a racist comment. Brazill's and Hilton's forty are similar

Why can't Whalen be compared to Keenan Allen or even a possession wideout like Reggie?

He doesn't compare to either of those guys because he doesn't play like them. I get it, we sometimes default to comparing white receivers other white receivers. But no one would ever compare Griff Whalen to either of those two guys.

Chapman played well last year, especially considering it was essentially his rookie year.  Our DL is one of the strenths, not only of the defense, but of the entire team.

Hmmm.  The OP's roster was RJF/Hughes, Chap/Kerr, and Jones/Redding.  

RJF is nothing special.  Hughes did nothing last year. Chapman was not a real presence at NT.  Kerr is an UDFA.  Redding is in decline. 

The only player I feel good about is Jones,  and I think RJF won't be a liability.  The other players better play up to their "potential" or the run D will suffer badly, IMO. 

Yes, you can say that about anything, but there really isn't a history of great play amongst anybody past Jones.