Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Texans trade QB TJ Yates to Falcons for MLB Akeem Dent

MTC

He was the odd man out with Keenum and Fitzpatrick there. 

Surprised they didn't get a bit more for him. Yates has playoff experience lol!

Playoff win at that lol. But you also have to remember Tom Savage too. I'm sure he and Keenum will compete to be the eventual successor to Fitz since he's just a stop gap option. Whoever loses will have to except the back up role, so Yates was bound to leave eventually.

Playoff win at that lol. But you also have to remember Tom Savage too. I'm sure he and Keenum will compete to be the eventual successor to Fitz since he's just a stop gap option. Whoever loses will have to except the back up role, so Yates was bound to leave eventually.

Yes, forgot about him too. Just another reason why Yates had to go.

Texans trade QB T.J. Yates to Falcons for LB Akeem Dent, per league source.

— ProFootballTalk (@ProFootballTalk)

June 19, 2014

Wow.

Akeem Dent must be really bad because the Falcons need middle linebackers with the loss of Sean Weatherspoon. 

Well, maybe Dent is decent but he is what it took to Win the bidding for Yates.

Weatherspoon did only play 7 games last season so the younguns who did play got good experience.

Or maybe one of the 4 LB`ers they just drafted can be developed into something useful. Maybe another Vet becomes available.

Who knows maybe Sheppard. ;)

Are the Texans trying to win 10-7 games Quiz? I like Keenum, but I just do not know what they plan to accomplish on offense.

I hope so. Fitzpatrick is the starter, Yates was never going to be an option.

I thought Yates was better than Keenum. I wonder if he regressed though the last couple of seasons.

Yates showed last year and in camp that he was clearly two steps behind Case. He hasn't had many reps so regression is possible but Idk

I hope so. Fitzpatrick is the starter, Yates was never going to be an option.

I just read that a few days ago about Fitz.  Not sure I like him any better than Keenum myself...He is, however Harvard smart :)  He will at least duck when Mathis and Arthur Jones hit him simultaneously :)

il_fullxfull.273851401.jpg

I just read that a few days ago about Fitz. Not sure I like him any better than Keenum myself...He is, however Harvard smart :) He will at least duck when Mathis and Arthur Jones hit him simultaneously :)

il_fullxfull.273851401.jpg

Or based on his track record throw an int lol. BOB has a few kinks to work out before the FitzBot14 is ready :) The Clownator is already being charged with a MegaWatt though haha

Or based on his track record throw an int lol. BOB has a few kinks to work out before the FitzBot14 is ready :) The Clownator is already being charged with a MegaWatt though haha

O'Brien could do with Fitz what Harbaugh did with Alex Smith and turn him into a solid QB that does not lose games for his team. And at this point the Texans D can carry them to a lot of victories with a QB that plays good situational football and limits mistakes.

O'Brien could do with Fitz what Harbaugh did with Alex Smith and turn him into a solid QB that does not lose games for his team. And at this point the Texans D can carry them to a lot of victories with a QB that plays good situational football and limits mistakes.

Yep that's the plan. BOB likes cerebral guys so the mental mistakes have to be cut down by Fitz. As long as he doesn't throw the game away and makes good decisions I think the defense is molded to carry us the most and like you said, get some Ws.

Yep that's the plan. BOB likes cerebral guys so the mental mistakes have to be cut down by Fitz. As long as he doesn't throw the game away and makes good decisions I think the defense is molded to carry us the most and like you said, get some Ws.

Boy am I stupid...just figured out what BOB meant.....

duh-duh1233387823.jpg

every coach wants a cerebral qb

Now that THAT'S cleared up...

Technically, you can rescind a waiver on a player. We did it last year with someone -- can't remember who -- when Hickman got hurt, I think. Might have been Wesley Saunders. So I didn't know if the Texans waived Yates and then rescinded the claim, or just never waived him. Per your link, they never waived him.

Why do you say Kap, Newton and Griffin have average mind/ethic?

Kaep wasn't known to be a Peyton Manning or Tom Brady coming out, and neither was Newton. They're physical talent and the fact that they can learn is what led to the situations they are in now. Cutler in Denver? Big arm, good size, wasn't known for being a cerebral guy. Don't mistake me for saying that these guys are dumb or Ryan Leafs because I'm not.

Kaep wasn't known to be a Peyton Manning or Tom Brady coming out, and neither was Newton. They're physical talent and the fact that they can learn is what led to the situations they are in now. Cutler in Denver? Big arm, good size, wasn't known for being a cerebral guy. Don't mistake me for saying that these guys are dumb or Ryan Leafs because I'm not.

Tom Brady wasnt known to be tom Brady when he came out

Fair enough.

Indeed...those aren't the only ones either. Miami signed Dante Culpepper instead of Drew Brees...Tennessee to Young...Oakland took Russell...Denver took Tebow...we took Jeff George...I mean this list could go on forever...almost every team has made the mistake of going for the big arm or athleticism over the more cerebal qbs....I mean it took 3 rds to take Russell Wilson...proof enough. Nobody's immune from this mistake....I will say though Newton and Kaep however could very well pan out just fine. As those two continue to progress.

Indeed...those aren't the only ones either. Miami signed Dante Culpepper instead of Drew Brees...Tennessee to Young...Oakland took Russell...Denver took Tebow...we took Jeff George...I mean this list could go on forever...almost every team has made the mistake of going for the big arm or athleticism over the more cerebal qbs....I mean it took 3 rds to take Russell Wilson...proof enough. Nobody's immune from this mistake....I will say though Newton and Kaep however could very well pan out just fine. As those two continue to progress.

You're speaking my language. It has happened a lot and sometimes it works out sometimes it doesn't, same is true of the reverse. I agree that Newton will probably be elite I'm not sure about Kaep yet but his contract sure gives him an incentive to be.