Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Different Offensive Philosophies in the Andrew Luck Era

Andy

Article I wrote up... tell me what you think!

Andrew Luck is entering his third year with the Indianapolis Colts, and will also be enduring another offensive philosophy switch. Let’s look back and ahead to the different offensive philosophies in the Andrew Luck era.

Year 1 w/ Bruce Arians (Vertical/Deep Ball Offense)

In Andrew Luck’s rookie year, the Colts asked him to do a lot for a rookie quarterback, and in return Luck set a few records and sent the Colts to the playoffs after a 2 win season. It was the type of offense that Luck wasn’t used to. At Stanford, they utilized a West Coast offense with a run first mentality. Carries from starter Stepfan Taylor, as well as backups Tyler Gaffney, Anthony Wilkerson and Jeremy Stewart exceeded Luck’s total amount of attempts. It was a big change going from that to a nearly 40 attempt a game kind of pace. Arians and the Colts asked Luck to deliver on the deep throws, which ironically was the one thing some so called experts believed was Luck’s only true fault; he didn’t have a big arm according to these guys. Luck threw the ball past 20 yards 101 times in his rookie year and had a passer rating of 81.9 (over 20 yards). These are impressive numbers for a rookie, and he showed his versatility as well as his adaptability. He switched to a very different offense and performed admirably for a rookie.

Year 2 w/ Pep Hamilton (Ground and Pound Rush Offense)

The offensive philosophy switched in his 2nd year. Bruce Arians left for Arizona and so did his offense. The Colts brought in Andrew Luck’s final offensive coordinator at Stanford, Pep Hamilton. Hamilton immediately installed a “West Coast Offense” with more focus on efficiency and running the ball rather than the aggressiveness of Arians’ offense. Coach Pagano came out and said that running the ball was his “mantra” and that in order to be successful, they were going to have to “run the ball and stop the run”. It was obvious they wanted more running. As a result, Luck’s numbers decreased a bit. His passing yard totals decreased by 12.6% and he threw the ball 9.09% less. However, because of the efficiency and the new direction of the offense, Luck was able to cut his interception numbers in half and increase his completion percentage by 6.1%. He was comfortable and he was efficient. He took the Colts back to the playoffs, even winning a game, and there was an obvious improvement. However, at times, the tentativeness and the inconsistency in the play calling would sometimes hurt the Colts. They would put all their cards into running the ball and come up short, with the Chargers game being a very good example, and there were some times where they put the ball in his hands, and he would – well win. That was the problem, there were times where Luck didn’t get the ball enough, and when he did, something special happened. They put the ball in his hands down 28 against an outstanding Chiefs team and despite his early mistakes they won. They put the ball in his hands against the Broncos and the Texans (first meeting) and look what happened. There were times where the “ground and pound” mentality got in the way, and it hurt them at times.

Year 3 w/ Pep Hamilton (Balanced Attack with a Score First Mentality)

Luck will be entering his third year, and his 2nd with Pep Hamilton. From the looks of it, they seem to be gearing towards more of balanced offense, and going away from the “ground and pound” 1970s mentality. Every year, there seems to be that one team breaking offensive records. Last year was the Denver Broncos. This is a league where you need to put up a lot of points. Unless you have a defense like the Seattle Seahawks or the San Francisco 49ers that allow less than 17 points per game, then you’re going to have to put up a substantial amount of points a good amount of games. The Colts needed to put up at least 21 points in each of their wins last season. The defense didn’t necessarily steal them any games with a full, 4 quarter shut down performance. Of course they made many tremendous plays, and in some cases closed out games, but again, this isn’t a defense that was able to shut down an offense and allow the Colts to win even with an off day from Luck. As mentioned, they needed to put up at least 21 points in each of their wins. As for the new balanced offense, it will still be the West Coast offense that Luck and most of the offense is familiar with, but now Luck should be getting the ball more, which was one of the few issues last season. The Colts even two offensive players with their first two draft picks – an offensive lineman and a wide receiver – perhaps indicating the progression towards more of a passing offense going forward. Getting the ball in Luck’s hands is what the offense needs to do. The running game should not be the focal point of this offense; it should be Andrew Luck and his rare talent. Despite that being said, the Colts should not overload on him. The Colts don’t have the offensive line to be passing the ball 42+ times a game on a consistent basis; however, the balanced approach will keep teams guessing and will give Luck opportunities.

Which is Best?

Which one is best for Luck? The one where he’s aggressive and in a risk/reward type of offense? The one where the running game is the focal point of the offense, or is it the one where both are equally favored and it gives the star player with the rare talent the chance to succeed on a regular basis. The last thing you want to do is limit the best player. You don’t see Denver giving their running back more carries than Manning has attempts, or the Saints with Brees. If you have a star quarterback, give him the best chance to succeed, and it seems like the new offensive system the Colts are utilizing will do just that.

Well, we don't exactly know if we'll be "changing again" this season. It's the same offense, but hopefully we'll be more aggressive. Don't count that as a big change. I'm just glad Pep made it through year 1 so we have the familiar faces still around on the coaching staff.

Trent Richardson on the other hand has been through more coaching changes than any of our young guns that came out of the draft class with Andrew so I'm certain he's happy to see a consistent coach haha

Other than that, excellent write up Andy! :clap:

:colts:

Great write up. Good question. A lot of IF`s to be determined yet. The best answer is going to be how much Andrew improves on decision making and staring down receivers. Hitting the open guy instead of forcing predetermined throws. He`s a tremendous QB talent with grit who can put a team on his back. If he improves on these things with the run game unknown right now then throw the football 60-40. The Colts already proved they can win 10-12 games this way. IF TRich is the RB Grigson and the rest of league thought he was coming out of college and IF the OLine is improved like I think it is then I`m all for some smash mouth football mixed in. Especially with this WR and TE corps. That opening drive against the 49ers this past year was a thing of beauty. That's what I would strive for!  

Great write up. Good question. A lot of IF`s to be determined yet. The best answer is going to be how much Andrew improves on decision making and staring down receivers. Hitting the open guy instead of forcing predetermined throws. He`s a tremendous QB talent with grit who can put a team on his back. If he improves on these things with the run game unknown right now then throw the football 60-40. The Colts already proved they can win 10-12 games this way. IF TRich is the RB Grigson and the rest of league thought he was coming out of college and IF the OLine is improved like I think it is then I`m all for some smash mouth football mixed in. Especially with this WR and TE corps. That opening drive against the 49ers this past year was a thing of beauty. That's what I would strive for!

The 49ers game period was a thing of beauty

3rd time is a charm...so I'm hoping for a few things offense related: 

Luck tucks and runs instead of trying to thread a needle and throw an INT instead. 

With the "new" O-Line and the 2nd year in the system, Richardson blossoms into Lynch 2.0. 

Chud makes Allen and Fleener the dynamic duo we all know they can be. 

Wayne, Hilton, Nicks, Rogers/Whalen/Moncrief turn into the 4 or 5 headed Kraken monster they have the talent to be. 

Luck tucks and runs instead of trying to thread a needle and throw an INT instead. 

I'd rather see:  "Luck chucks it nine rows up into the stands and avoids getting hit instead of trying to thread a needle and throwing an INT".

With the "new" O-Line and the 2nd year in the system, Richardson blossoms into Lynch 2.0. 

Chud makes Allen and Fleener the dynamic duo we all know they can be. 

Wayne, Hilton, Nicks, Rogers/Whalen/Moncrief turn into the 4 or 5 headed Kraken monster they have the talent to be. 

I could have sworn Pep was the OC and Alfredo Roberts was the TE coach... :)

I hope the Chud helps too....all around the team...we do not want to call him Dud or Thud after this year.   :)

I could have sworn Pep was the OC and Alfredo Roberts was the TE coach... :)

I hope the Chud helps too....all around the team...we do not want to call him Dud or Thud after this year.   :)

Lol, ya but if you are going to hire Chud (who is supposedly a TE wizard) then pick his brain and use the guy. 

Speaking strictly offense.....more than anything, I hope the O-line stays healthy, is well-coached and gels into a solid unit capable of both solid run blocking and pass blocking. Unless injuries at RB and WR wrack us again, I'm convinced we have enough weapons around Andrew to make us a true "pick your poison" offense...and hopefully Pep, with Chud's input, will find the proper run/pass balance within each game.

If we CAN dodge the injury bullet well enough....we damn well better avoid predictable extremes of either a ground and pound or pass, pass, pass offense, unless our opponent in a given week has a glaring weakness we can easily exploit by going run or pass heavy.

Because playoff Head Coaches and DC's are very good at attacking and exploiting both glaring weaknesses and overplayed tendencies, as we found out vs Belichick and the Patriots with our anemic interior O-line and a fetid, stinking, 20 carry for 69 yard ground game....

....and as the greatest passer since the invention of balls, Peyton Manning has found out on many playoff occasions, most notably that embarrassment versus Pete Carroll and the Seahawks.

A great QB can generally weasel a team to 10 regular season wins and a playoff berth...but a lack of balance offensively and roster-wide almost always spells doom in the playoffs.

Article I wrote up... tell me what you think!

Andrew Luck is entering his third year with the Indianapolis Colts, and will also be enduring another offensive philosophy switch. Let’s look back and ahead to the different offensive philosophies in the Andrew Luck era.

Year 1 w/ Bruce Arians (Vertical/Deep Ball Offense)

In Andrew Luck’s rookie year, the Colts asked him to do a lot for a rookie quarterback, and in return Luck set a few records and sent the Colts to the playoffs after a 2 win season. It was the type of offense that Luck wasn’t used to. At Stanford, they utilized a West Coast offense with a run first mentality. Carries from starter Stepfan Taylor, as well as backups Tyler Gaffney, Anthony Wilkerson and Jeremy Stewart exceeded Luck’s total amount of attempts. It was a big change going from that to a nearly 40 attempt a game kind of pace. Arians and the Colts asked Luck to deliver on the deep throws, which ironically was the one thing some so called experts believed was Luck’s only true fault; he didn’t have a big arm according to these guys. Luck threw the ball past 20 yards 101 times in his rookie year and had a passer rating of 81.9 (over 20 yards). These are impressive numbers for a rookie, and he showed his versatility as well as his adaptability. He switched to a very different offense and performed admirably for a rookie.

Year 2 w/ Pep Hamilton (Ground and Pound Rush Offense)

The offensive philosophy switched in his 2nd year. Bruce Arians left for Arizona and so did his offense. The Colts brought in Andrew Luck’s final offensive coordinator at Stanford, Pep Hamilton. Hamilton immediately installed a “West Coast Offense” with more focus on efficiency and running the ball rather than the aggressiveness of Arians’ offense. Coach Pagano came out and said that running the ball was his “mantra” and that in order to be successful, they were going to have to “run the ball and stop the run”. It was obvious they wanted more running. As a result, Luck’s numbers decreased a bit. His passing yard totals decreased by 12.6% and he threw the ball 9.09% less. However, because of the efficiency and the new direction of the offense, Luck was able to cut his interception numbers in half and increase his completion percentage by 6.1%. He was comfortable and he was efficient. He took the Colts back to the playoffs, even winning a game, and there was an obvious improvement. However, at times, the tentativeness and the inconsistency in the play calling would sometimes hurt the Colts. They would put all their cards into running the ball and come up short, with the Chargers game being a very good example, and there were some times where they put the ball in his hands, and he would – well win. That was the problem, there were times where Luck didn’t get the ball enough, and when he did, something special happened. They put the ball in his hands down 28 against an outstanding Chiefs team and despite his early mistakes they won. They put the ball in his hands against the Broncos and the Texans (first meeting) and look what happened. There were times where the “ground and pound” mentality got in the way, and it hurt them at times.

Year 3 w/ Pep Hamilton (Balanced Attack with a Score First Mentality)

Luck will be entering his third year, and his 2nd with Pep Hamilton. From the looks of it, they seem to be gearing towards more of balanced offense, and going away from the “ground and pound” 1970s mentality. Every year, there seems to be that one team breaking offensive records. Last year was the Denver Broncos. This is a league where you need to put up a lot of points. Unless you have a defense like the Seattle Seahawks or the San Francisco 49ers that allow less than 17 points per game, then you’re going to have to put up a substantial amount of points a good amount of games. The Colts needed to put up at least 21 points in each of their wins last season. The defense didn’t necessarily steal them any games with a full, 4 quarter shut down performance. Of course they made many tremendous plays, and in some cases closed out games, but again, this isn’t a defense that was able to shut down an offense and allow the Colts to win even with an off day from Luck. As mentioned, they needed to put up at least 21 points in each of their wins. As for the new balanced offense, it will still be the West Coast offense that Luck and most of the offense is familiar with, but now Luck should be getting the ball more, which was one of the few issues last season. The Colts even two offensive players with their first two draft picks – an offensive lineman and a wide receiver – perhaps indicating the progression towards more of a passing offense going forward. Getting the ball in Luck’s hands is what the offense needs to do. The running game should not be the focal point of this offense; it should be Andrew Luck and his rare talent. Despite that being said, the Colts should not overload on him. The Colts don’t have the offensive line to be passing the ball 42+ times a game on a consistent basis; however, the balanced approach will keep teams guessing and will give Luck opportunities.

Which is Best?

Which one is best for Luck? The one where he’s aggressive and in a risk/reward type of offense? The one where the running game is the focal point of the offense, or is it the one where both are equally favored and it gives the star player with the rare talent the chance to succeed on a regular basis. The last thing you want to do is limit the best player. You don’t see Denver giving their running back more carries than Manning has attempts, or the Saints with Brees. If you have a star quarterback, give him the best chance to succeed, and it seems like the new offensive system the Colts are utilizing will do just that.

bla bla bla bla bla

Pep isn`t changing the Offense philosophy. I`m sure he just expects it to improve execution & grow with experience.

The RUN game makes everything work.

Will we see Less of the Heavy pkg with Andrew getting better, better Interior lineman and all our weapons. Of course.

Andrew has been FAR from being an Elite decision maker after the snap and has not been accurate enough in the short to mid-range.

He & the Defense seriously NEED the Run game Pagano & Pep demand so expect little change in the % of rushes.

Andrew just needs to Improve his passing game as the O-Line improves its ability to run & pass block.

BTW, Andrew was low middle pack in completion % beyond 20 yards. Yes it is nice that TY got open 4 times for successful long bombs among his Whopping 5 td receptions for the season. These Greatly enhanced Andrews 81 deep passer rating that you mention. And 81 is Very Average.

Balance, after watching us pound the running game down teams throats last year and carting our

two best RB's to the IR, I'm ready for a balanced attack and keep D's guessing a little.

With that being said we need to run the ball effectively and also keep our starting RB's healthy

and on the field ALL season long.

Do people realize that the Colts threw the ball on 60.4% of their offensive plays?  Thus running on 39.6%?

"But they ran it too much on 1st down," you say.

Well they ran the ball 48% of the time on 1st down and three the ball 52% of the time.  That is a pretty balanced approach that so many of you are screaming for.

"But they ran it too much on 2nd down," you say

Well they threw the ball 63.6% of the time on 2nd down.

"Well that's because the Colts were so far down they had to throw it a lot in the 2nd half of the game.  But it the first half it was run, run, run," you say.

Well you may be onto to something there... but no.  In the first half the Colts ran the 40.5% of the time on 1st down and threw it 59.5% of the time on first down.

"Yeah, but what about 2nd down," you ask?

34.7/65.3 run/pass.

I think if the Colts did have a more balanced attack, especially running the ball more on 2nd down, the Colts O would be a lot more efficient and effective.

Do people realize that the Colts threw the ball on 60.4% of their offensive plays?  Thus running on 39.6%?

"But they ran it too much on 1st down," you say.

Well they ran the ball 48% of the time on 1st down and three the ball 52% of the time.  That is a pretty balanced approach that so many of you are screaming for.

"But they ran it too much on 2nd down," you say

Well they threw the ball 63.6% of the time on 2nd down.

"Well that's because the Colts were so far down they had to throw it a lot in the 2nd half of the game.  But it the first half it was run, run, run," you say.

Well you may be onto to something there... but no.  In the first half the Colts ran the 40.5% of the time on 1st down and threw it 59.5% of the time on first down.

"Yeah, but what about 2nd down," you ask?

34.7/65.3 run/pass.

I think if the Colts did have a more balanced attack, especially running the ball more on 2nd down, the Colts O would be a lot more efficient and effective.

Good stats. It seemed like they actual stats were reversed last year, maybe because we saw T Rich run up the backside

of his linemen so much last season. Are you sure these are right?

Maybe with a revamped and more seasoned O-line along with a healthy Bradshaw/ Ballard combo and

T-Rich `caugh caugh gag caugh' with a full season under his belt, maybe the run game won't seem

like an anvil tied to our ankle and thrown into the lake.

Who is in the running for the fourth RB spot and is he comparable to the abilities of our other RB's?

I would think that greater efficiency of the run game would be the key to setting up the entire offense for greater production overall.

That would dictate to the defensive side more and open up the options for our O.

Another example of how well the O-line comes together is going to dictate how well the offense is going to do this year.

We are obviously well stocked at the skill positions.

Better execution, not necessarily a change in scheme will produce better results.

Then if the D proves to be better we should be good to contend for a championship!

Maybe with a revamped and more seasoned O-line along with a healthy Bradshaw/ Ballard combo and

T-Rich `caugh caugh gag caugh' with a full season under his belt, maybe the run game won't seem

like an anvil tied to our ankle and thrown into the lake.

Who is in the running for the fourth RB spot and is he comparable to the abilities of our other RB's?

People will call me names like Homer or looking at thing through blue-colored glasses, etc.  But I think TRich is going to be a 1200+ yard back, double digit TDs and another 300-400 yard receiving this year.  I like the way he runs.

**Qualifier** This is based on the assumption that, as I believe, TRich does not lack vision or is a hesitant runner but that he was a) used to running behind a zone blocking line and b) had no idea really how the Olineman saw things so he would know where the hole would develop.  And I think with a full offseason of OTAs, minicamp, traing camp and preseason that will no longer be a hindrance to him.

People will call me names like Homer or looking at thing through blue-colored glasses, etc.  But I think TRich is going to be a 1200+ yard back, double digit TDs and another 300-400 yard receiving this year.  I like the way he runs.

**Qualifier** This is based on the assumption that, as I believe, TRich does not lack vision or is a hesitant runner but that he was a) used to running behind a zone blocking line and b) had no idea really how the Olineman saw things so he would know where the hole would develop.  And I think with a full offseason of OTAs, minicamp, traing camp and preseason that will no longer be a hindrance to him.

I have read so much of this `TRich is gonna run like a madman' on this forum this year that I am starting to get brainwashed

a little myself. I'm wishing for the best but if he starts out the way he ended last season, I will be the first to show teeth

and assemble the towns people with pitchforks and torches. :rawr:

My better judgment tells me that he 3/4 of a season in this system and was either not played or was not effective

in the post season. I have a hard time believing he wouldn't have a grasp of the offense by playoff time.

UUUGGGGHHH I don't know about all this T Rich hype cool aid a lot of posters are drinking...not sure at all.

Still hoping you all are right.

I continue to think you're reading WAY too much into Pep's comments and how he refers to the offense.

There's no reason to think we're not going to be running the exact same offense he wanted to run last year -- except he couldn't due to injuries.

-- He'll want to emphasize the power running game.

-- He'll want to emphasize the two tight end offense.

-- He'll want to emphasize the three top WR's we have.

-- He'll want to emphasize a high percentage passing game.

I honestly don't think anything has changed.......

I have read so much of this `TRich is gonna run like a madman' on this forum this year that I am starting to get brainwashed

a little myself. I'm wishing for the best but if he starts out the way he ended last season, I will be the first to show teeth

and assemble the towns people with pitchforks and torches. :rawr:

My better judgment tells me that he 3/4 of a season in this system and was either not played or was not effective

in the post season. I have a hard time believing he wouldn't have a grasp of the offense by playoff time.

UUUGGGGHHH I don't know about all this T Rich hype cool aid a lot of posters are drinking...not sure at all.

Still hoping you all are right.

Here is something to ponder.  During game week the team is doing their walk-throughs, learning the game plan and watching film of the other team.  A RB, especially part of a two man rotation may get between 50-100 snaps during the week, then the game snaps.  The film they watch is going to primarily of the other team.

Now during all the off season programs, he is probably getting between 40-60 snaps a day.  And he is watching film of those practices... not the other team, studying the line, studying Luck, studying the FBs.  That is stuff that there is just not enough time to do during the regular season.

Also, I think that without immediate success last year it did affect his confidence and all of that combined just snowballed into the result we saw.

If I'm wrong, I will make no bones about it nor excuses.

Here is something to ponder.  During game week the team is doing their walk-throughs, learning the game plan and watching film of the other team.  A RB, especially part of a two man rotation may get between 50-100 snaps during the week, then the game snaps.  The film they watch is going to primarily of the other team.

Now during all the off season programs, he is probably getting between 40-60 snaps a day.  And he is watching film of those practices... not the other team, studying the line, studying Luck, studying the FBs.  That is stuff that there is just not enough time to do during the regular season.

Also, I think that without immediate success last year it did affect his confidence and all of that combined just snowballed into the result we saw.

If I'm wrong, I will make no bones about it nor excuses.

Maybe he was overwhelmed but he better sack up and run as hard as Bradshaw/Ballard because those two boys

are beginning a new image of Colts running backs of running hard and hitting the hole with force.

With all of the hype he has received and is still receiving, the least he can do is be on par with the other two.

Maybe he was overwhelmed but he better sack up and run as hard as Bradshaw/Ballard because those two boys

are beginning a new image of Colts running backs of running hard and hitting the hole with force.

With all of the hype he has received and is still receiving, the least he can do is be on par with the other two.

1.  I wouldn't call it overwhelmed, there is just so much time in a day.

2.  I'm not sure I agree with Ballard and Bradshaw beginning a new image of Colts running backs.  Ballard is my favorite back, I like that kid.  But the only image they portrayed last year was they can only play a couple of games.

3.  I think he already is, he didn't miss a game because of injury.  I think Ballard and Bradshaw need to show they can play a full season.

Additionally, we have no idea how well Bradshaw or Ballard would have done had they played a whole season.  Maybe it took a couple of games to get film of the oline and teams just started keying on things.. like Satele head bob.

While it was terrible last year, I think the loss of Wayne will really prove to benefit Luck.

Wayne was Luck's go-to WR who could bail him out on almost any play.  It took Luck a few weeks to figure it out, but he got a lot better at looking for other options and readin through his progressions later in the year -- this was forced on him since he lost his favorite WR (not to mention D. Allen was missing).  With an improved WR corps and Luck's improvement on finding WR's besides Wayne he should be very dangerous (Nicks cannot be worse than DHB, Wayne returns, TY cannot be solely focused on, Allen's back, Fleener should continue to improve, Rogers/Brazzill/Whalen should be improved, Moncreif is a big and very fast WR).

Not to mention, T. Rich should be improved with an offseason under his belt and with a (hopefully) improved OL, we should be able to create a much better balance in our offense by striking the fear of being able to run the ball into opposing D's.  This should take a little pressure off Luck and if the OL improves then Luck should have more time to make decisions and should spend less time on the ground.