Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

'Why Irsay's punishment should be draft picks'

Nobody

Reading this thread is exactly why people lose all rationality and common sense when talking about their favorite sports team. When Joe Paterno was fired, the Penn State fans defended him even though his actions were heinous, when Brian Cushing tested positive for steroids, Texans fans blindly defended him, and there's countless other examples of the same thing, yet when someone with another organization or another school does something stupid, everyone wants to crucify.  Jim Irsay is the owner of the Colts, he should be held to a higher standard, and I hope Goodell drops the hammer on him.  I just don't know how you do that to an owner.    

I think most Colts fans feel Jim Irsay should be punished but the key is Jim Irsay should be punished not the Colts.  By all accounts the Colts did everything in their power to try to prevent this by trying to get him to get help and trying to get him to hire a driver.  Irsay wouldn't do it and when he owns the team there is only so much they can do.  Still, they did everything they could so why on earth should they be punished for it by taking away a draft pick? 

Now as for Irsay give him a major fine and suspension and things that will directly impact him.  He's the one that messed up and he's the one who should be punished and I think that's what most Colts fans are saying.  They are also just saying don't punish our team because the team didn't do anything wrong. 

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The NFL is a corporation.   Roger GODell WORKS for the owners of this corp.      He WORKS for them.   

IF the owners want to hammer Irsay that is one thing.    BUT I guarantee you all GODell will not do anything near hammering Jimmy "on his own"     If it went down that way RG would be out of a job pretty fast and Irsay would ...  be prepping to write a very interesting tell all book.

This is a good ole boys network ...     A community all of us will never know on any level.

Irsay may get a brisk punishment but it is only to keep the "loud mouths" happy.    ie MEDIA.

Jimmy's "co owners" are the only ones that can really put a cramp in Jim's style...    and for some reason...  I don't see it happening.

Here's John Clayton's Mailbag response to the issue: 

"Q: Folks are demanding that Roger Goodell come down hard on the Colts for Jim Irsay's off-field indiscretions, including calls for the loss of draft picks. I think it would be unfair to take away draft picks. That would ultimately hurt the players, fans and the game on the field -- but not the owner. If Irsay had been caught cheating in some way (spying on another team, supplying PEDs, stealing playbooks), then his team should pay the consequences. But his crime had nothing to do with the players or Colts fans, so why should they be punished?

Alan in Lubbock, Texas

A: I couldn't agree more. This isn't an organizational mistake. It's an individual mistake. Irsay should have to pay the price, and he will. The organization and fans shouldn't. What's driving me crazy now is how everyone wants a fast decision from Goodell. He needs to hand down the right penalty -- not the fastest penalty. I'm sure once the case is settled in court, Irsay will be fined heavily and suspended for a good portion of the season." -John Clayton