Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

'Why Irsay's punishment should be draft picks'

Nobody

# that, Goodell is treating Irsay with way more leniency then he would a player. Take away a few draft picks & that will really show Irsay & all you Colts fans that you're no better than anybody else in this league! You sit here and think that an owner's actions doesn't affect the league. Owners are supposed to be held to a higher standard because there's so few of them. GO JAGS!!!!!!!

Edited by Nadine
personal shot

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We just had a draft of low number of picks

Our coach has beat cancer

Our QB has beat the odds of deficits

Our owner is gonna beat an addiction

Our team beats defeat with outstanding resiliency

Team outlasted a injury riddled season to make the playoffs for a consecutive season

There's NOTHING anyone or anything can do to the Indianapolis Colts that we can't overcome!

:colts:

You are a very wise young man.  :)

# that, Goodell is treating Irsay with way more leniency then he would a player. Take away a few draft picks & that will really show Irsay & all you Colts fans that you're no better than anybody else in this league! You sit here and think that an owner's actions doesn't affect the league. Owners are supposed to be held to a higher standard because there's so few of them. GO JAGS!!!!!!!

Well, . I must say you are completely wrong.  No player has been suspended for 6-8 weeks and fined $1 million for a dui.  Second, to suggest that an owner should be held to a higher standard because of the number of NFL owners defies logic and lacks an semblance of a rational thought.  That would be like me saying that jags fans with IQ over 80 and all 32 teeth should be held to a higher standard because there are so few of them.

Edited by Nadine

An Owner getting arrested does embarrass the league no matter how you try to spin it.  I think the league needs to punish Irsay but the key is punish Irsay not the Colts.  The Colts didn't break any rules.  Taking way draft picks punishes the Colts not the man who is at fault. 

I fail to see how an organization (the NFL) that encourages the consumption of alcoholic beverages at their events could be embarassed by one of their members being arrested for allegedly consuming too much alcohol or other substances. I wonder how many team/league executives are guilty of this same offense at league sanctioned Super Bowl parties?

I fail to see how an organization (the NFL) that encourages the consumption of alcoholic beverages at their events could be embarassed by one of their members being arrested for allegedly consuming too much alcohol or other substances. I wonder how many team/league executives are guilty of this same offense at league sanctioned Super Bowl parties?

In all fairness, I don't think it's consuming the alcohol that is the problem.  It's illegally driving after consuming too much alcohol and other items of abuse (I haven't really followed it closely enough to know what all the chargers are, I just know there is no charge for consuming alcohol).

Well, as an uppity butt Colt fan (whatever that is) I must say you are completely wrong.  No player has been suspended for 6-8 weeks and fined $1 million for a dui.  Second, to suggest that an owner should be held to a higher standard because of the number of NFL owners defies logic and lacks an semblance of a rational thought.  That would be like me saying that jags fans with IQ over 80 and all 32 teeth should be held to a higher standard because there are so few of them.

1402027582867.gif

I don't get the concept that so many playes are so concerned with the relative equity of punishments

And why are they so interested? Are they all doing drugs? Do they care so deeply about moral standards in the NFL?

because it feels like petty sniping.

I look forward to your long posting career...

And sadly for the Jags the Colts could have had all of there draft picks taken away this year and your Jags still would not be relevant......Better have Brunell on speed dial

"Go Jags"

:lol::funny::lol::spit::lol:

:colts:

There is no reason to take personal shots at Colts fans.

Irsay wasn't drunk.    No alcohol in his system.

The issue is prescription pain meds.    There's a difference.

. :blueshoe:   Jim Irsay's arrest is due to an addiction issue he has battled for quite some time.  .

.That has NOTHING to do with his team nor did he do anything to give his team an unfair competitive advantage - so losing draft picks is a ridiculous punishment suggestion..

.I'm convinced that Roger Goodell will do his due dilligence to investigate the matter fully and then hand down appropriate punishment for violation of the league's conduct policy..

.In my humble opinion - Irsay will likely be ordered to league mandated drug treatment for an extended period of time. .

.Only the FACTS should be considered in this matter - and - we as fans do not have a "need to know" the facts.  :blueshoe: .

Edited by Nadine
excessive formatting

Last Year, The Denver Broncos had TWO executives arrested for DUI. How many draft pick's did they lose ??

That's because one of the NFL's two favorite players is in Denver (the other one is New England in case you were wondering). of course they aren't going to punish them. For crying out loud, Belichek and NE ran Spygate for 8 years, but Sean Payton gets suspended an entire season for something that every team does and has done since the beginning of the merger at least.

NFL plays their favorites and the Colts are currently getting shafted bad enough it would even make Isaac Hayes sing from the grave for you. I'm gonna go off the wall too and say that Mathis is being punished too cause the league has some kind of hate for you right now similar to how they treated the Saints in 2012. It's like they even expected your former QB to win the Super Bowl, cause of all the games to open the season, they picked the Colts, as if they could rub it in you and your owner's face and go "ha ha you let him go and he got another ring!"

This should be played at every Colts home game, can you dig it?

Who is the man, who will risk his neck for his brother, man?

SHAFT!

The Colts are the current(ly being) Shaft(ed) of the NFL, and this just makes me want to root for them even more. I would love to see Irsay reach the Super Bowl so he can spit in Goodell's face, and prove YES I WAS RIGHT by drafting Andrew Luck.

That's because one of the NFL's two favorite players is in Denver (the other one is New England in case you were wondering). of course they aren't going to punish them. For crying out loud, Belichek and NE ran Spygate for 8 years, but Sean Payton gets suspended an entire season for something that every team does and has done since the beginning of the merger at least.

NFL plays their favorites and the Colts are currently getting shafted bad enough it would even make Isaac Hayes sing from the grave for you. I'm gonna go off the wall too and say that Mathis is being punished too cause the league has some kind of hate for you right now similar to how they treated the Saints in 2012. It's like they even expected your former QB to win the Super Bowl, cause of all the games to open the season, they picked the Colts, as if they could rub it in you and your owner's face and go "ha ha you let him go and he got another ring!"

SHAFT!

The Colts are the current(ly being) Shaft(ed) of the NFL, and this just makes me want to root for them even more. I would love to see Irsay reach the Super Bowl so he can spit in Goodell's face, and prove YES I WAS RIGHT by drafting Andrew Luck.

yikes, I don't see that.

I wouldn't want any spitting either

I ripped the author a new one.  Look under Brian Whitney in the responses.  I seem to have hit the right nerve for many others there.  

ESPN HATES all things Indianapolis and always has, even when Manning was here.  Now they love him of course in Denver and have switched to hating Luck.  They assigned us a total Colts HATER in Mike Wells, and then sent us this little love letter above after a year of TRASHING the Pacers up and down and likely causing some of their strife with bogus reporting.  

Typical nonsense.  That's why I enjoy jawing with you guys for a breath of fresh air.  It is one thing to have a good natured rivalry with another teams fans, but the idiocy there gets old pretty quick and when they add their biased coverage I usually come here to decompress.  I wish there was legit competition for them across all sports but there really isn't.  Foxsports started off great but they took the NFL show off the air and now there's just the sports scoring shows and they focus on the NFC much of the time.  

Brian

When Manning was there they picked you guys every other year to make the Super Bowl when they weren't fainting over their love for the Patriots. ESPN crowned you the SB winner in 2005 when the Colts blew the first round to the Steelers. NO ONE on ESPN picked the Saints to beat the Colts in the Super Bowl, and every day we had to be reminded how once they were done beating the Saints he would be the greatest quarterback in existence. I don't remember a single writer on ESPN saying the Saints even had a chance in that game. We were going to get beat down, and a lot of them even predicted a 10+ win for the Colts, even though the opposite occurred. Look at how shocked they were that the Saints actually won. They acted the same way when the Seahawks won earlier this year. They have always had this huge love fest for Manning, they always have picked his team to win when they aren't predicting Tom Brady to do it.

When your team lost, they blamed your coach, whom I have to admit is a really great guy, and I have a lot of respect for him. Quite possibly my favorite coach of the past decade besides Sean Payton. Dungy got the blame for every single playoff loss your team had when the Colts had Manning. I never understood all the hate that man received cause I always found him to be a stand out coach.

ESPN still won't give Dungy credit for Gruden's Super Bowl win with Dungy's Tampa Bay team, that Gruden also ran into the ground cause he went crazy trying to make them super pass heavy while the defense aged, and so on and so on. I could go on and on about that old Tampa Bay team that Dungy built and Gruden gets all the credit for. Buc's fans will even tell you that their Super Bowl win wasn't on Gruden, but Dungy's credit since it was his team.

ESPN never loved the Colts, it was all about Manning. They hate your team, they hate your owner, and they hate all your coaches past and present. They'll spend all day being stuck up apologists for Belichek's spygate and telling you that Bob Kraft is the greatest and classiest owner in sports history period, but when it came to Tony Dungy, every time the Colts lost in the playoffs, they were the first ones to start screaming "he needs to be fired!", when it comes to Jim Irsay, they talk about the man like he's some crazy old drunk. ESPN is a joke, and yes they hate your team, but they love ex-quarterback. That is the only reason they even liked you. When Manning left, they turned on the hate and did their best to paint the Colts out as this bad guy comic book villain that is messing with their hero.

In all fairness, I don't think it's consuming the alcohol that is the problem.  It's illegally driving after consuming too much alcohol and other items of abuse (I haven't really followed it closely enough to know what all the chargers are, I just know there is no charge for consuming alcohol).

I agree with you that the issue between Irsay and the state of Indiana is the alleged driving while intoxicated, but believe that is between those two and not the NFL's business. Since the NFL condones the consumption of alcohol at their events, after which people drive home or elsewhere, I still don't believe that they can be truly "embarassed" by Irsay's actions.

SHAFT!

I will pray for you. Conspiracy in sports does not always go over well at times. Even though it's often in our faces over the years.

Shaft will work. Or "hungry freaks, daddy" in honor of Irsay.

i read it yesterday, and I don't totally disagree that it would be a somewhat fitting punishment. Especially since I know that if the same incident happened to Bob Kraft or the owner of a team in our division, we'd all be calling for his head.

However, I think that being publicly humiliated, checking into rehab, getting fined $1 million, being suspended for 6-8 games, and having his integrity questioned for the entire season by * writers on every sports website on Earth is a pretty swift kick in the sack.

i read it yesterday, and I don't totally disagree that it would be a somewhat fitting punishment. Especially since I know that if the same incident happened to Bob Kraft or the owner of a team in our division, we'd all be calling for his head.

However, I think that being publicly humiliated, checking into rehab, getting fined $1 million, being suspended for 6-8 games, and having his integrity questioned for the entire season by * writers on every sports website on Earth is a pretty swift kick in the sack.

Speak for yourself, please.

I don't get the concept that so many playes are so concerned with the relative equity of punishments

And why are they so interested? Are they all doing drugs? Do they care so deeply about moral standards in the NFL?

because it feels like petty sniping.

Fake outrage is very trendy these days

This "ESPN hates the Colts" stuff is so wrong it's beyond belief....

But the majority of people who post here clearly believe it....    very sad.

Most? I think it's more "the squeaky wheel gets the grease"

This "ESPN hates the Colts" stuff is so wrong it's beyond belief....

But the majority of people who post here clearly believe it....    very sad.

Yeah, for a small market team, they show Indy quite a bit of love on ESPN. Am I the only one who's seen the look in Jon Gruden's eyes when he talks about Andrew Luck? He's in love.

I am.

Do you have disassociative personality disorder? Because the "we'd all" part of your post is really kind of throwing me off, and that's all I can come up with.

I'm only saying that I wouldn't be calling for anyone's head in this situation, Irsay or otherwise. And especially not Bob Kraft. I have no issues with him, and I think he's a really good owner.

Well several things.

For starters if you listen to Irsay his issues don't have to do with alcohol and have everything to do with abusing pills which can also make you impaired.  I know that has just been kinda glossed over by a lot of people but I do think it matters. 

Still for the sake of argument we'll focus on the drinking part of your point.  It's not the drinking alone that is embarrassing it's being arrested for driving while under the influence that's the issue.  If an owner just got drunk no one would care that much.  It's the driving that is the issue and the fact he got caught doing it. 

Case in point we as a society allow people to drink and get drunk and that's all fine assuming you are of age.  However, the moment you step behind the wheel of a car if you get caught driving you are in trouble even though we have said you can get drunk.  You just can't get drunk and drive. 

Also who you are does matter.  Being an Owner and getting arrested caries more weight than if a fan gets arrested for driving drunk in the league's eyes.  To give you another example of this if a US citizen goes out and gets drunk and get arrested for driving drunk it might make the paper and news and it goes away from the media attention for the most part.  However, if the President of the United States were to get arrested for driving drunk that is going to matter a whole lot more because of who it is.  

That's just the way the cookie crumbles and just because the NFL sells drinks at games doesn't make it less embarrassing for the league for one of the people who is responsible for running one of their teams to get arrested.  It doesn't mean the league likes it's fans getting arrested for drunken driving but they don't carry the same weight as one of it's owners getting arrested for it. 

Yeah, for a small market team, they show Indy quite a bit of love on ESPN. Am I the only one who's seen the look in Jon Gruden's eyes when he talks about Andrew Luck? He's in love.

True, but Gruden could take a backup LB and compare him to Ray Lewis and then say he is going to the HOF someday after he makes one tackle.

I don't understand. You guys are making it seem like all Irsay deserves is a slap on the wrist! HE BROKE THE LAW. What's 6-8 games away from the team REALLY gonna do? & a paltry $1 million fine for guy who makes that in a day is nothing either. Goodell needs to put his foot down & hit Irsay where it will resonate across the league to all owners & that's with a suspension & a forfeit of a draft pick. He can't around doing things like this & expect to get away relatively scot-free

I don't understand. You guys are making it seem like all Irsay deserves is a slap on the wrist! HE BROKE THE LAW. What's 6-8 games away from the team REALLY gonna do? & a paltry $1 million fine for guy who makes that in a day is nothing either. Goodell needs to put his foot down & hit Irsay where it will resonate across the league to all owners & that's with a suspension & a forfeit of a draft pick. He can't around doing things like this & expect to get away relatively scot-free

Except that Goodell works for the owners......

When ESPN allows a hack writer to show faux outrage and attempt to equivocate a racist owner in the NBA with the Colts owners addiction IS CLEARLY being a Colts hater.  They didn't edit the article or pull it, they FEATURED it on the main page for a couple days until the latest go round.  And they've been calling for Irsay's head on TV and on the website every chance they get.  Those who were jealous of perceived favoritism FOR the Colts apparently missed the obvious fact it was solely about Manning.  Luck is an up and coming Superstar, but they all ignored his success with little to no help on a team that was legitimately in shambles in favor of the golden boy RGIII.  Often there has been a racial edge to their commentary and writing, just as the article in question here tried as hard as it could to taint Irsay with an unrelated racial torchlight.  The were out for scalps in the NBA and got one, now the same people are out for Irsay's scalp with the same level of faux outrage and vitriol.  These hacks would be the first ones to cover for one of their preferred players, owners or teams in the same situation.  

I find it clear that folks making personal attacks on me expose their lack of ability to argue their point effectively.  Disagree all you want, but attacking just makes you look weak.  This is a discussion board, not a TROLL CAVE.  

I wouldn't say Wells is a Colts hater he just never got over the fact he's no longer the Pacers beat writer for the star and it shows.

You are correct sir!  His writing is lazy and it is slathered in his annoyance and disappointment for a job he's clearly not interested in and which he usually just phones in.  

Irsay being here or not isn't gonna affect the outcome of any Colts vs Jags games. Y'all are still gonna lose, so I'm not understanding why you have so much inintensity on this subject as if you're hoping Jim gets banned from the NFL or something

Relax yourself, it's not that serious

Last Year, The Denver Broncos had TWO executives arrested for DUI. How many draft pick's did they lose ??

this and the Aaron Hernandez situation in New England are the most like this. Clearly Irsay didn't harm anyone let alone murder them so that's not what I am getting at. What I am getting at is that they were not team related. Do people honestly think the Pats should lies draft picks over the Hernandez situation? No. In fact most felt the pats handled that pretty well once it became clear what he had done or was being arrested for doing. By all accounts the Colts did all they could to try to prevent Irsay from getting in this spot by trying to get him to hire a driver at least but really pushing him to get the help he needs. So how on earth does it make sense to punish the colts or pats for doing what you want them to do in their situations? It doesn't. You punish the people and hold them responsible for their actions. In one case I don't think the NFL is going to have to worry about it in the other their are many ways to punish Irsay without touching draft picks..

Reading this thread is exactly why people lose all rationality and common sense when talking about their favorite sports team. When Joe Paterno was fired, the Penn State fans defended him even though his actions were heinous, when Brian Cushing tested positive for steroids, Texans fans blindly defended him, and there's countless other examples of the same thing, yet when someone with another organization or another school does something stupid, everyone wants to crucify.  Jim Irsay is the owner of the Colts, he should be held to a higher standard, and I hope Goodell drops the hammer on him.  I just don't know how you do that to an owner.