Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay expected to be suspended 6-8 weeks and fined $1M

Nobody

So lets take this assumption and have it manifest into actions.

You think that the NFL thinks that the fans in Indy would stop buying tickets, stop buying jerseys, stop rooting for Luck, Wayne, and Mathis, in any appreciable way, if the NFL fails to punish Irsay for commiting 2 misdemeanor DWI's?

I think its more likely, that the NFL and advertisers are trying to INCREASE sales by trying to sell the public that they are upstanding organizations by using whatever opportunity they can to get on their soap box.

To convince me that they are as upstanding as they want us to think...the NFL, advertisers, and the sports media should demand the clause of the NFLPA contract be enforced as it relates to PED testing, not browbeat owners over their personal transgressions.

It is obvious to me, and anyone else reading this thread that you suspect Mr. Irsay will be punished unfairly.   Let's remember, No punishment has yet been handed to him by the NFL.   

I think it is safe to say,  some punishment will more than likely be handed down, no matter what the punishment is.  As I said before,  I expect him to take whatever is handed to him,  pay his fine, serve whatever supspension,  and move on from it.

Having said that,  you certainly are entitled to your opinion, as are others, and that is the reason for these threads,  to discuss facts, opinions, and so on.    I enjoy most of the discussion, and bantering, but when it reaches the point that people are making it "personal"  and lashing out at each other,  I no longer enjoy.

If I had the power,  I'd close this thread, before we have 20+ pages of more of same.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is obvious to me, and anyone else reading this thread that you suspect Mr. Irsay will be punished unfairly.   Let's remember, No punishment has yet been handed to him by the NFL.   

I think it is safe to say,  some punishment will more than likely be handed down, no matter what the punishment is.  As I said before,  I expect him to take whatever is handed to him,  pay his fine, serve whatever supspension,  and move on from it.

Having said that,  you certainly are entitled to your opinion, as are others, and that is the reason for these threads,  to discuss facts, opinions, and so on.    I enjoy most of the discussion, and bantering, but when it reaches the point that people are making it "personal"  and lashing out at each other,  I no longer enjoy.

If I had the power,  I'd close this thread, before we have 20+ pages of more of same.

Well...I've made my point, so it won't be me dragging it out.

BTW...for anybody wondering....I don't drink and would never think of doing drugs.

Nothing matters to some people.......until it affects them. It's called apathy. Sadly, there is no cure for your condition.

And it's not that I like empathy for Irsay's problem. I have a problem with the holier than thou crowd who demand some kind of punishment.

Edited by Superman

Ok, just to say it a different way....

Considering that intoxication is the basis of their crimes, the first offense nature of them, the misdemeanor nature of them, and the inconsequentional damages involved (not what COULD have happened)....

To be fair....

I think Irsay's league punishment should be about the same as the league punishment against Pat McAfee, back when Patty got busted for PI.

So lets take this assumption and have it manifest into actions.

You think that the NFL thinks that the fans in Indy would stop buying tickets, stop buying jerseys, stop rooting for Luck, Wayne, and Mathis, in any appreciable way, if the NFL fails to punish Irsay for commiting 2 misdemeanor DWI's?

I think its more likely, that the NFL and advertisers are trying to INCREASE sales by trying to sell the public that they are upstanding organizations by using whatever opportunity they can to get on their soap box.

To convince me that they are as upstanding as they want us to think...the NFL, advertisers, and the sports media should demand the clause of the NFLPA contract be enforced as it relates to PED testing, not browbeat owners over their personal transgressions.

You're conflating several different issues, some more pertinent than others. I'm only speaking to the NFL's objective, which is specifically about their desire to protect their league's image.

The whole purpose of the NFL's personal conduct policy is to reduce the occurrence of headlines about NFL personnel being involved in legal misconduct. A one-off incident doesn't necessarily cost the league money, but the more it happens, the more damage is done to the league's brand. So while Irsay's situation might not directly cost the in the way of merchandise and sponsors and so on, the league will penalize him, partly as a deterrent to other NFL personnel.

I don't think it's about being upstanding. Your responses paint the picture of someone who doesn't care if people break the law, so long as no one gets hurt. But most people operate under the assumption that other people are going to respect the law, and there are disruptions when some people choose not to. You might not hurt anyone when you cross a double yellow, but that doesn't mean it's not dangerous. It impacts the way other people drive, and it could lead to an accident. Not that it necessarily will, and it's certainly not the worst thing in the world, but if other people expect you to respect that double yellow and you don't, things could get messy.

When companies penalize their employees for breaking the law, it's not about being upstanding or taking advantage of a soapbox opportunity. Sure, it can be, but I think the disconnect here is that you don't think companies should concern themselves with whether their employees follow the law, unless it directly affects the employees ability to do their job. Most people disagree with you, on several levels. I definitely do.

Last thing: I actually think the attitude toward PEDs needs to change, as I think some of the restrictions are overboard. So we are kind of on opposite ends of the spectrum here.

That's fair. A big chunk of change. I'm not sure how you suspend an owner. His daughter can still consult with him during his suspension

What if he were to say: I'm gonna take my marbles and go home?  I guess an owner has the right to say that.  Right?

You're conflating several different issues, some more pertinent than others. I'm only speaking to the NFL's objective, which is specifically about their desire to protect their league's image.

The whole purpose of the NFL's personal conduct policy is to reduce the occurrence of headlines about NFL personnel being involved in legal misconduct. A one-off incident doesn't necessarily cost the league money, but the more it happens, the more damage is done to the league's brand. So while Irsay's situation might not directly cost the in the way of merchandise and sponsors and so on, the league will penalize him, partly as a deterrent to other NFL personnel.

I don't think it's about being upstanding. Your responses paint the picture of someone who doesn't care if people break the law, so long as no one gets hurt. But most people operate under the assumption that other people are going to respect the law, and there are disruptions when some people choose not to. You might not hurt anyone when you cross a double yellow, but that doesn't mean it's not dangerous. It impacts the way other people drive, and it could lead to an accident. Not that it necessarily will, and it's certainly not the worst thing in the world, but if other people expect you to respect that double yellow and you don't, things could get messy.

When companies penalize their employees for breaking the law, it's not about being upstanding or taking advantage of a soapbox opportunity. Sure, it can be, but I think the disconnect here is that you don't think companies should concern themselves with whether their employees follow the law, unless it directly affects the employees ability to do their job. Most people disagree with you, on several levels. I definitely do.

Last thing: I actually think the attitude toward PEDs needs to change, as I think some of the restrictions are overboard. So we are kind of on opposite ends of the spectrum here.

I simply do not believe that if owners, more than one, would be found guilty of misdemeanors, covering a variety of social issues, that fans would stop buying season tickets, jerseys, etc.....the NFL doesn't make jersey's with the name "Irsay" on the back for a reason...no one cares. 

The NFL can use social issues to proactively market its brand two ways....by getting behind a positive cause, like breast cancer awareness...or by quickly criticizing a negative action, like personal misconduct.  That is why companies have the policies...to have an opportunity to advertise their righteousness when an adverse headline gives them the opportunity....not because they seriously think that an employee screwing up his personal life will cause people to stop buying a good product. 

After all, exactly what type of poor personal conduct is serious enough to cause the consumer to not buy a good product...but not so serious as to allow the employee to still walk the street a free man?  For misconduct of a serious nature, a company doesn't have to say anything, because the employee is in jail and is no longer affiliated with the company anyway.

The policy and its champions are insincere, IMO.  Its not about conduct at all...its about seizing an opportunity for advertising a PC cause. 

My comments about driving are simply to have some fun in pointing out that circumstances and reactions determine safety.  Period. 

As far as PED's, I think the big hang up is a false positive test.  Now...I know nothing of the technology, but it seems to me that if someone got in shape by eating normal food and drink and working out, it would be difficult to ever get a false positive.  Its when a player is trying to use some sort of substance that is just below the banned line, that a false reading could occur.  Just eliminate all substances, all protein powders, whatever, and I'm sure the technology is accurate. 

Ok, just to say it a different way....

Considering that intoxication is the basis of their crimes, the first offense nature of them, the misdemeanor nature of them, and the inconsequentional damages involved (not what COULD have happened)....

To be fair....

I think Irsay's league punishment should be about the same as the league punishment against Pat McAfee, back when Patty got busted for PI.

In the food chain of football life......

A coach is higher than a player...

A head coach is higher than an assistant coach...

A GM is higher than a HC...

And an Owner is higher than ALL OF THEM!

Why you think the penalty for an owner should be the same as for a player is completely mystifying to me?!?

Goodell has been clear on this issue....   the higher you are in the NFL system,  the higher level of accountability you'll be held to.

So, since Irsay is at the top,  he gets held to a higher standard.    Why you think this is some PC nonsense makes no sense whatsoever.

I don't know if you've noticed this,  but this thread is roughly 90 posts long and you're all by yourself.   No one has supported your view that I've seen.    And people aren't just disagreeing with you,  we don't even think you've got an ounce of logic behind any of your arguments.    This thread is completely bizarre.

I simply do not believe that if owners, more than one, would be found guilty of misdemeanors, covering a variety of social issues, that fans would stop buying season tickets, jerseys, etc.....the NFL doesn't make jersey's with the name "Irsay" on the back for a reason...no one cares. 

The NFL can use social issues to proactively market its brand two ways....by getting behind a positive cause, like breast cancer awareness...or by quickly criticizing a negative action, like personal misconduct.  That is why companies have the policies...to have an opportunity to advertise their righteousness when an adverse headline gives them the opportunity....not because they seriously think that an employee screwing up his personal life will cause people to stop buying a good product. 

After all, exactly what type of poor personal conduct is serious enough to cause the consumer to not buy a good product...but not so serious as to allow the employee to still walk the street a free man?  For misconduct of a serious nature, a company doesn't have to say anything, because the employee is in jail and is no longer affiliated with the company anyway.

The policy and its champions are insincere, IMO.  Its not about conduct at all...its about seizing an opportunity for advertising a PC cause. 

My comments about driving are simply to have some fun in pointing out that circumstances and reactions determine safety.  Period. 

As far as PED's, I think the big hang up is a false positive test.  Now...I know nothing of the technology, but it seems to me that if someone got in shape by eating normal food and drink and working out, it would be difficult to ever get a false positive.  Its when a player is trying to use some sort of substance that is just below the banned line, that a false reading could occur.  Just eliminate all substances, all protein powders, whatever, and I'm sure the technology is accurate. 

I disagree, as I'm sure you're aware.