Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay expected to be suspended 6-8 weeks and fined $1M

Nobody

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's fair. A big chunk of change. I'm not sure how you suspend an owner. His daughter can still consult with him during his suspension

Pretty sure it means he is not allowed to go to games or interact with the team in any way.

To be clear,  both media outlets are using the exact same source -- ESPN's Adam Shefter.

And he does NOT have a source inside the NFL executive offices that he's using.

He said he talked with various owners and other team execs and asked them for their opinion.

So, this could could be absolutely right.    But, it might be wrong.    I want to make that clear -- it might be wrong.

If I had to guess,  I'd say it's much more likely right than wrong.    But I don't think this is a done deal just yet.

Just want to make sure we're all on the same page on this one......

On the one hand, it's twice as large as Belichick's $500,000, which was the max the league allowed. I figure it is different for owners (who are on an entirely different monetary plain), but it's weird that he'd be fined more than that for a personal issue.

On the other hand, I think it makes sense if this is the case. To pretend that $1,000,000 has the same level of effect on Irsay as most significant fines to NFL players or coaches is asinine, but the number is still meaningful to the league as a measure of protecting their image and enforcing, to the public, what they don't allow.

I think, all told, that'd be a pretty fair penalty.

This is him guessing. Nothing to see here.

You know this how?

Shefter went on air and said he had personally spoken to a number of owners and GM's and asked for their speculation.

This was the rough consensus of what he gathered.

Not sure why you think he's guessing.     And by the way,  if he is guessing,  his guesses are much better than mine and yours and anyone else around here....

Just sayin.....

I would think it is safe to say Mr. Irsay will stay away from football for the entire season. At this point the team is in good hands with his daughter... and he needs to work on himself.

yeah, thats not gonna happen

How do you know... Mr. Knowitall?

Interesting. So you state something as "safe to say", that is well beyond what most believe will happen... but you call someone else a knowitall for being equally sure you are incorrect?

So are you suggesting the league will mandate a whole year off, or are you suggesting Irsay will voluntarily choose a year long hiatus?

You know this how?

Shefter went on air and said he had personally spoken to a number of owners and GM's and asked for their speculation.

This was the rough consensus of what he gathered.

Not sure why you think he's guessing.     And by the way,  if he is guessing,  his guesses are much better than mine and yours and anyone else around here....

Just sayin.....

Did Roger say this was the punishment? Did I miss something? Shefter is the Commish now?

Did Roger say this was the punishment? Did I miss something? Shefter is the Commish now?

That wasn't the point you raised in your post that I responded to.

You said he was guessing.   And that his guess wasn't worth much.

I said he wasn't guessing,  that he did some digging,  and since he's a pro who spends his life doing that, his guesses are better than mine and yours and everyone's around here.

Now, you've switched the topic.     As I said in another post in this thread,  this is NOT official.   The punishment could be more, or it could be less.    But that this was a reasonable rough guess.

And to answer your question..... no, nothing from Goodell yet.     But, hopefully soon.

That wasn't the point you raised in your post that I responded to.

You said he was guessing.   And that his guess wasn't worth much.

I said he wasn't guessing,  that he did some digging,  and since he's a pro who spends his life doing that, his guesses are better than mine and yours and everyone's around here.

Now, you've switched the topic.     As I said in another post in this thread,  this is NOT official.   The punishment could be more, or it could be less.    But that this was a reasonable rough guess.

And to answer your question..... no, nothing from Goodell yet.     But, hopefully soon.

NCF I didn't come here to argue with you. I said this is Sheffter guessing (you call it speculation) after he talked to all the GMs and what not. He did some digging so what? I dont care what he did, he then speculates, that will be the punishment. It may it may not. It is still his educated guess. Spin it however it suits you. Have a happy day man, I have better things to do with my life then explain myself to you.

NCF I didn't come here to argue with you. I said this is Sheffter guessing (you call it speculation) after he talked to all the GMs and what not. He did some digging so what? I dont care what he did, he then speculates, that will be the punishment. It may it may not. It is still his educated guess. Spin it however it suits you. Have a happy day man, I have better things to do with my life then explain myself to you.

irony

He has already been to an owners meeting and submitted his bid for the superbowl

Different thing all together he made a pitch to the city, and immediately went right back to rehab.  

Interesting. So you state something as "safe to say", that is well beyond what most believe will happen... but you call someone else a knowitall for being equally sure you are incorrect?

So are you suggesting the league will mandate a whole year off, or are you suggesting Irsay will voluntarily choose a year long hiatus?

Good grief, man. The term safe to say is a lot different than someone flat out saying that it won't happen as jvan1973 did. I am simply saying that he would probably take whatever suspension is handed down (if and when it happens), and then take the rest of the year off to focus on getting better... and that is more important that anything going on with this football team. 

FC....

I'm not trying to give you a hard time, though you think I am.....

As a guy with a 30-year background in the media, I'm trying to explain what Shefter did.    That's all.

And he's not speculating.   He's passing along the rough guesstimate that NFL owners and execs have told him.

He's not pulling his report out of thin air.   He's telling all of us what he's being told by those owners and execs.

I'm trying to make clear of two things here....

One,  that this is not a done deal.   This is the best estimate of high ranking NFL execs of what Goodell might do...

Two,  that this is not Shefter's opinion.   He's passing along information.   It may not be 100% right,  but odds are it won't be too far off.

Hope that clarifies......   enjoy your weekend....      :thmup:

Although I hadn't really given it a whole lot of thought, or consideration,  I did  expect him to be fined, and suspended.   Just never really gave much thought to the exact amounts. 

I never thought there was any way getting around it.  

He'll take his punishment and pay his fine, whatever it is,  and move on and the team will be fine.

Stupid.

Golly, now that I think the NFL is a moral organization for suspending Jimmy, I guess that will motivate me to plunk down $70 for a player Jersey.  Stupid.

BTW, If the owners really want to play the straight-and-narrow, I would think I should hear about their visible, weekly efforts to badger the NFLPA into following the terms of the contract and begin testing for PED's. 

If that's what they really want.............

Stupid.

Golly, now that I think the NFL is a moral organization for suspending Jimmy, I guess that will motivate me to plunk down $70 for a player Jersey.  Stupid.

BTW, If the owners really want to play the straight-and-narrow, I would think I should hear about their visible, weekly efforts to badger the NFLPA into following the terms of the contract and begin testing for PED's. 

If that's what they really want.............

Why is it stupid?

He messed up, big time, and now must pay the price. I like the message. That owners do in fact answer to a higher power. 

I hope Jim finds something to fill the void that will be left after quitting this insidious drug. Opiate pain killers have a draw as powerful as cocaine (some would argue greater). 

The suspension won't have an affect on the team, not like a player or coach missing. The suspension is more symbolic, but Jim does love to mix it up with the boys in the locker room post-game. He's a good dude who's money afforded him no more protection from the same rigors that trial us all. I have been furious with him for what he did, be all can be forgiven in time. 

Why is it stupid?

He messed up, big time, and now must pay the price. I like the message. That owners do in fact answer to a higher power. 

I hope Jim finds something to fill the void that will be left after quitting this insidious drug. Opiate pain killers have a draw as powerful as cocaine (some would argue greater). 

The suspension won't have an affect on the team, not like a player or coach missing. The suspension is more symbolic, but Jim does love to mix it up with the boys in the locker room post-game. He's a good dude who's money afforded him no more protection from the same rigors that trial us all. I have been furious with him for what he did, be all can be forgiven in time. 

I went over this in another thread. 

In case you haven't noticed, the NFL is trying to inject morality, including PC, into its product.... in hopes that people who spend their money on organizations that "do the right thing" , will spend more on the NFL.  ( I spend my money based upon on the quality of the product offered, not the personal moral actions of its employees)

What we know (not assume) is that Irsay was pulled over doing 10mph stoned, and then checked himself into rehab.  For this, he gets suspended and fined $1M. 

It makes no sense to punish a virtual noncrime that has already been corrected via the actions of the perpetrator. 

Its a blatant attempt by the NFL to get on its high horse and market its product....to those people who are duped by such things. 

In case you haven't noticed, the NFL is trying to inject morality, including PC, into its product.... in hopes that people who spend their money on organizations that "do the right thing" , will spend more on the NFL. ( I spend my money based upon on the quality of the product offered, not the personal moral actions of its employees)

What we know (not assume) is that Irsay was pulled over doing 10mph stoned, and then checked himself into rehab. For this, he gets suspended and fined $1M.

It makes no sense to punish a virtual noncrime that has already been corrected via the actions of the perpetrator.

Its blatant attempt by the NFL to get on its high horse and market its product....to those people who are duped by such things.

It would be terrible PR to do nothing to him. They suspended players and coaches for the sane thing

In case you haven't noticed, the NFL is trying to inject morality, including PC, into its product.... in hopes that people who spend their money on organizations that "do the right thing" , will spend more on the NFL.  ( I spend my money based upon on the quality of the product offered, not the personal moral actions of its employees)

What we know (not assume) is that Irsay was pulled over doing 10mph stoned, and then checked himself into rehab.  For this, he gets suspended and fined $1M. 

Its a blatant attempt by the NFL to get on its high horse and market its product....to those people who are duped by such things. 

All businesses that deal with the public will take measures like this. It is in the interest of protecting their integrity. 

PS: a "non crime" doesn't put the general public at great risk. 50 years ago, drunk driving was treated with an almost comedic grin. Until the body count became so high that society demanded harsh punishment to deter such careless, selfish behavior. 

Please......  It is a crime to drive under the influence.    Under the influence of what...???   It doesn't matter.  He was impaired.

He failed several tests given to him at the scene, and  refused  a blood test,  which upon such refusal is a mandatory 1 year suspension of your drivers license, no matter WHO you are.

And what is wrong about injecting Morality onto one of America's favorite sports.  Much better than immorality.

Please...... It is a crime to drive under the influence. Under the influence of what...??? It doesn't matter. He was impaired.

He failed several tests given to him at the scene, and refused a breath sobriety test, which upon such refusal is a mandatory 1 year suspension of your drivers license, no matter WHO you are.

And what is wrong about injecting Morality onto one of America's favorite sports. Much better than immorality.

:scoregood:

The suspension is relevant.....the fine is irrelevant other than its increased worth to the NFL. This is like you and I being fined $10 dollars. 

Please dont read into my words that I think he should have been fined more.