Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Colts O could be unstoppable if Wayne accepts being a 3rd wr

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Ty Hilton is too small to be a #1. Disappears from games from time to time. Better fitted in the slot & #2 WR. Don't believe he's ready to go against the opponents top CB week after week. Not taking anything from him, he's amazing. But not ready to carry the WR core

2. Vick Ballard is NOT the best RB on our team

1. Ty Hilton is too small to be a #1. Disappears from games from time to time. Better fitted in the slot & #2 WR. Don't believe he's ready to go against the opponents top CB week after week. Not taking anything from him, he's amazing. But not ready to carry the WR core

Who is the best? I loved Ballard when he was healthy. Shifty, tough and had speed

And TY isn't too small. He's a beast. He's a less physical, more humble version of steve Smith.

Ahmad Bradshaw is hands down the best, but my guess is he wont be around for the playoffs with how physical he plays and his injury history. I say Trent Richardson should be the #2 change of pace back on short yardage sets, and I know he has trouble getting yards, but he's young, we gave up a 1st rounder for him, and he's had an off-season to work on chemistry and other kinks, so we need to try to pound it in anyways.

Hilton burned Corners like talib and browner and Sherman. He can be a number one

The TD on Sherman was actually a zone play, he burned Earl Thomas technically. I'm not saying he'll never be a #1, just not now. He's still got a lot to learn in the NFL but he's definitely making great strides

People misunderstand how WRs are charted these days... In the past it always was about one outside left, one outside right and then 3rd man was slot. 

Nowadays, its all about number of snaps that signify importance/importance... No matter where T.Y. is on the depth chart, he will get the most snaps out of all the wide receivers (Nicks might overtake if Wayne gets injured). The man might not be big but he has shown the coaching staff that he can play everywhere, everything from his natural slot burner slot to outside against top CBs. I am simply excited to see how the staff looks at mixing up looks for the top three wide outs this year as last year T.Y. had to play man outside every time after Wayne went down.

The most talent RB on our roster currently is Bradshaw but the highest ceiling is, like it or not, Richardson....I know he won't be a ProBowler or a future HoF at this point but just give the guy a chance. If by Week 6-7, he doesn't show up THEN call him a bust and murder Grigson. Ballard is a solid RB that can get you good yards but nothing in terms of large chunks or anything special on pass protection....and his knee has to show up right.

Who is the best? I loved Ballard when he was healthy. Shifty, tough and had speed

And TY isn't too small. He's a beast. He's a less physical, more humble version of steve Smith.

*Points to remedy's post*

Ahmad Bradshaw hands down

And Hilton is small; I'm not saying he'll never be a #1 but he just plays better in the slot. You can be the #1 WR and barely line up outside (see Wes Welker). But him being outside against the oppositions best CB week after week concerns me a bit

*Points to remedy's post*

Ahmad Bradshaw hands down

And Hilton is small; I'm not saying he'll never be a #1 but he just plays better in the slot. You can be the #1 WR and barely line up outside (see Wes Welker). But him being outside against the oppositions best CB week after week concerns me a bit

He gave Browner and Sherman fits. I feel like he was held back by the team forcing DHB on the field.

I really think people are underrating Ballard. A healrhy Ballard looked prety good back there.

He gave Browner and Sherman fits. I feel like he was held back by the team forcing DHB on the field.

I really think people are underrating Ballard. A healrhy Ballard looked prety good back there.

You're not hearing me. Talent wise, he can be a #1. But field maturity/knowledge of the game like Reggie has is what Hilton is missing. He still has a lot to learn before I'd trust him lining up outside consistently

And Vick is good, but if we're talking healthy..... Bradshaw is the best & hardest runner in a Colts uniform

And my personal preference is having tall WR's outside & the little/shifty guys in the slot

Size has nothing to do with being a #1 receiver, if you can consistently make plays for your team, you can be a #1.

The TD on Sherman was actually a zone play, he burned Earl Thomas technically. I'm not saying he'll never be a #1, just not now. He's still got a lot to learn in the NFL but he's definitely making great strides

He burned both of them. The Seahawks triangle defense is technically zone, but Sherman shouldn't have pulled off of Hilton when he did, because Thomas was never far enough to Hilton's side of the field, and didn't have enough depth pre-snap. Sherman should have stayed to the outside of Hilton and rode him inside all the way up the sideline. And Thomas took too long to drop back. They both missed their assignment.

But I don't think it would have mattered. Hilton is faster than both of them, got a clean release, and would have burned Sherman one on one anyways. If Thomas had been over the top, it might not have gone for a TD, but I don't think Sherman could have stopped Hilton from getting open.

He burned both of them. The Seahawks triangle defense is technically zone, but Sherman shouldn't have pulled off of Hilton when he did, because Thomas was never far enough to Hilton's side of the field, and didn't have enough depth pre-snap. Sherman should have stayed to the outside of Hilton and rode him inside all the way up the sideline. And Thomas took too long to drop back. They both missed their assignment.

But I don't think it would have mattered. Hilton is faster than both of them, got a clean release, and would have burned Sherman one on one anyways. If Thomas had been over the top, it might not have gone for a TD, but I don't think Sherman could have stopped Hilton from getting open.

haha you make it seem so bad. When you put it that way; makes you wonder should we all send the video of the play to Richard Sherman's Twitter when he tweets ahout being the #1 CB haha

Some people may hate me for this but some recievers are just not made to be #1 receivers WHY... I was a Center my whole football career and I still realize being a #1 or a #2 receiver doesn't mean your for sure better!!

Some recievers are just a built to be #2 or 3's their career and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it at all! They still get starts and plenty of playing time! It's not like just Becuase they are not #1 Andrew Luck or Any Quarterback will be like "Ohhh he's open but he's a #3 receiver.. I'm not going to pass it to him" being 1-3 doesn't have a super great importance on teams with stacked talent! #4 and #5 does matter Becuase they are technically "backups"

But PLEASE UNDERSTAND that just because T.Y. Isn't #1 doesn't mean he doesn't deserve it! #1 #2 and #3 can all start! They mainly all get the same looks depending on play type.

Ty should be a #3 or a good #2!!! The #3 sometimes plays slot (not all of the time) and T.Y. Is a SUPERSTAR SLOT reciever!

Reggie was a great #1 becuase he is more a possession reciever, good for last second looks.

Nothing is wrong with Reggie at #1 Nicks at #2 and T.Y. At #3... They could all technically start and they all will get the ball! #1 does not give you any special privileges ecspecialy in a very talented and crowded offense like the Colts have! People may hate me for saying it but it's true!

Ohhh.. And Ballard May or may not be the best TB on our roster but I don't know how anyone can say he should be the starting running back after he hasn't played a snap with pads on in almost 9 months.

Okay rant is over! :)

:ranton:

Some people may hate me for this but some recievers are just not made to be #1 receivers WHY... I was a Center my whole football career and I still realize being a #1 or a #2 receiver doesn't mean your for sure better!!

Some recievers are just a built to be #2 or 3's their career and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it at all! They still get starts and plenty of playing time! It's not like just Becuase they are not #1 Andrew Luck or Any Quarterback will be like "Ohhh he's open but he's a #3 receiver.. I'm not going to pass it to him" being 1-3 doesn't have a super great importance on teams with stacked talent! #4 and #5 does matter Becuase they are technically "backups"

But PLEASE UNDERSTAND that just because T.Y. Isn't #1 doesn't mean he doesn't deserve it! #1 #2 and #3 can all start! They mainly all get the same looks depending on play type.

Ty should be a #3 or a good #2!!! The #3 sometimes plays slot (not all of the time) and T.Y. Is a SUPERSTAR SLOT reciever!

Reggie was a great #1 becuase he is more a possession reciever, good for last second looks.

Nothing is wrong with Reggie at #1 Nicks at #2 and T.Y. At #3... They could all technically start and they all will get the ball! #1 does not give you any special privileges ecspecialy in a very talented and crowded offense like the Colts have! People may hate me for saying it but it's true!

Okay rant is over! :)

:rantoff: :rantoff:

Fixed it for you :thmup:

Nicks is looking good from the vids I saw. If he can just stay healthy, he's going to be deadly. Big if. But TY needs a bigger role going into this season. He should start camp as the #1 wr. I feel he's earned it.

And if the best RB on the roster(Vic Ballard) gets healthy

I agree that Nicks should be the go-to guy going into the season. We need to know he can produce in this offense so we can move forward with him and get him under contract.

As far as TY being a #1 WR... he is... so is Wayne... and Nicks. They all have great hands and each one does something better than the next guy. TY has the speed. Wayne has the dependable hands. Nicks has the jump balls and quick catches coming out of a cut.

Lastly, I have to disagree with you about Ballard being the best RB on the roster. He did decent in his rookie season and I was looking forward to year two for him. Unfortunately, we never got to see him in year two. If we had... I am certain he would have done just as good as his rookie campaign. The point is, we have not seen him run in this new offense on game day yet. I would assume he will fare just fine especially with the improvement along the line.

Its just nice to look at the roster and see how young our skill players are and what they have accomplished/will accomplish.

Ahmad Bradshaw is hands down the best, but my guess is he wont be around for the playoffs with how physical he plays and his injury history. I say Trent Richardson should be the #2 change of pace back on short yardage sets, and I know he has trouble getting yards, but he's young, we gave up a 1st rounder for him, and he's had an off-season to work on chemistry and other kinks, so we need to try to pound it in anyways.

Based on what i saw last year I would agree that Bradshaw is the best currently. We didn't have him for long but, when we did I was amazed and excited for our run game for the first time in a long time. TRich is gonna be the front man by default to start. I really think he is gonna show up and be that guy we wanted last year. If that happens I will be freakin THRILLED knowing that Bradshaw will be the #2 back. When the LBs think they are gonna get a break when TRich goes out... Bradshaw will make them look silly. Its gonna be GREAT!

Everybody here debating over the usual suspects....   the WR's and the RB's....

For my money, those positions have a way of sorting themselves out....

But if this offense is truly ready to live up to potential it's all up to the guys up front.

The offensive line.

If they can block for the RB's and we can get roughly 130 yards rushing a game....

And if they can protect for Andrew so he can find his receivers and stay clean doing it,   THEN the offense should hum right along....

But the OL has to be all Grigson hopes it can be....    they have to be above average.....

It all starts up front.......

Based on Pep's TE style offense, I think we'll see more 2 TE sets than 3 WR.

I would be ok with that. The good news is Nicks excels in that 5-20 yards range especially when he is coming across the middle... so even if we have a 3 WR set with Nicks... its still kinda like having a 2 TE set when you simply talk about where the ball is going and when it gets there.

1. TY WAS our number 1 receiver last season and I think you will find that he absolutely tore it up. Granted the TD's werent there but he isnt exactly a huge redzone target (thats where Allen and Nicks come in this season).

2. Who is our best RB then? T Rich? He has the potential but hasnt proven anything yet.... Bradshaw? when healthy I'll grant you he is the most developed and would come out the gates the fastest in the early part of the season as the best, but how long will he stay healthy? Ballard may be coming off a season ending injury, but he will have almost had a full year to recover by the time the season starts and if he excelled in our system in year 1 as a rookie, who's to say he doesnt come out as our best healthy RB?

1. TY WAS our number 1 receiver last season and I think you will find that he absolutely tore it up. Granted the TD's werent there but he isnt exactly a huge redzone target (thats where Allen and Nicks come in this season).

So what happened during that 5 game stretch after Reggie got hurt in the Denver game?  To me, being a #1 WR has nothing to do with size, but rather can you still produce when you're the one the defense is focusing on, and when Reggie got hurt and teams started focusing on Hilton they were able to shut him down.  That's why I don't believe that Hilton is capable of being a #1  WR at this point.  

I wouldn't be surprised if Wayne ends up as the #3 or even #4 guy.  Guy in his mid 30's coming off a torn ACL.  I hope he surprises me but I just can't expect him to be what he used to be.

TY is too small to be the #1 guy.  

He is not, nor will he ever be a guy that you can ask to consistently go up and win a jump ball.  That and because of the type of player he is, he's going to be streaky and disappear from the stat sheet for several games.  

The main reason is in order to have a big game he has to be a deep threat.  But if a team focuses it's coverage on taking away that deep threat then he likely won't see much involvement on the stat sheet.

That's not to say he's not helping the team.  If he's drawing coverage attention on him deep he's leaving other parts of the field open for possession receivers.  

To me, TY is Marvin Harrison junior.  Marvin was long thought to be too small to be a number 1 at 6-0 180.  Reggie was too slow to be a number one according to many, and was destined to be exposed when Marvin left according to many.

For me, at 5-9 180, TY is a more solidly built WR than Marvin was.  3 inches shorter with the same amount of mass.  Marvin was never a go up and get it guy, he was a guy that would beat the opponent his speed, route running, and excellent hands.  TY is not to Marvin's level yet, but he is getting darned close in his short time in the league.  There is no reason he can't be a number 1, and he seems to be getting bigger and stronger every year while maintaining his speed.  He also has to maintain the same type of contact avoidance Harrison did so he can stay healthy, but I don't see him having problems doing that.

As for Wayne, provided he comes back as good as he was, he should be an every down receiver.  #1 or #2, and work the slot in 3 WR sets when needed, but he should never be off the field.

Nicks to me is the #3 guy.  Work him in on the outside or wherever on 3 WR sets.  Less plays means he gets the chance to last a little longer this year most likely.  If someone goes down, he becomes an every down receiver.  But for me, those jobs belong to Hilton and Wayne this year (provided Wayne is healthy).

So what happened during that 5 game stretch after Reggie got hurt in the Denver game?  To me, being a #1 WR has nothing to do with size, but rather can you still produce when you're the one the defense is focusing on, and when Reggie got hurt and teams started focusing on Hilton they were able to shut him down.  That's why I don't believe that Hilton is capable of being a #1  WR at this point.  

I've heard the term defined as having a receiver that can do just about anything and has no limitations.  So they have to have decent speed, but also be big and strong, run good routes, and have good hands and body control.  So size has something to do with it.

TY is limited.  I'm not sure he has great body control and I know he's not big and strong.  

TY's a good #2 or #3.  But his skill set is too limited to be a proper #1.  He's not all that useful in the redzone, in fact in many cases you are better off subbing him out for a TE or a bigger receiver that's further down the depth chart and he's not a guy you could ever ask to win you a jump ball.  

Don't get me wrong, I love TY, he's a steal in the 3rd round.  But I think as fans we often tend to ignore some of his faults.  He's just not a complete receiver.  There is no situation in which a true #1 receiver is a liability, but TY is a liability in the redzone were having a big body to win balls is important.  

Who cares where anybody is listed on the depth chart.  All that matters is that they produce when called upon.  Honestly, size and field positioning/down has a lot to do with the placement of WR/RB, not necessarily talent.  Why would you want TY on a tall physical corner on the outside on 1st n 10 anyway?  I think he fits best in the slot because there is not many 3rd CB or LB that could cover him without help.  Also I would want Trent in on 3rd n short or goal line situations to power into the endzone/first down marker.  Its all about getting favorable matchups that will provide the best outcome.  If somebody gets tired, banged up, or not having a good game I think the Colts have plenty of depth to bring in somebody that can get the job done no matter what situation as a RB or WR.

You're totally right TY totally dropped off after Reggie went down..... except for the fact that immediately following reggie going down TY ripped the Texans for 121 yards and 3 TD's and then the Rams for 130 yards. Granted his next 4 games were a bit stagnant from there but he did have a shoulder injury during that stint. He finished the regular season with a 155 yard performance against the jags and then tore it up against the chiefs going for over 200 yards and he also had over 100 against the pats....

I agree and disagree with you

1.  What do you mean by better fitted? There are plenty of undersized number 1 receivers who played in the past  till now: Marvin Harrison - Antonio Brown.  I just think one more year and Hilton will be primed for a number 1 role and plenty of money 

2. Vick Ballard is the best 3rd rb of all time :clap: (extreme sarcasm)

Well, the two games immediately after he did very well but then defenses focused on him more and there was an adjustment period for Hilton and Luck.  he had to learn what it meant to be the main focus at receiver. It took him about 4 games to figure it out and once he did he was amazing.  As proof before the NE playoff game BB stated that the defense was going to focus on shutting down Hilton and after the game they claimed to have succeeded in that.. he had 4 catches for 101 yards... and NE considered that shutting him down.

No, Hilton has the tools, the field awareness, savvy and confidence to be a number 1 receiver for just about any team in the league.  Unfortunately for him if Wayne is on the field Wayne is the number 1 receiver.  People act like WRs should catch 100 yards per game no matter what.  Even megatron had 4 games last year where he had 52 yards or fewer.  Thomas had 3 games with 60 yards or fewer.  

I agree and disagree with you

1. What do you mean by better fitted? There are plenty of undersized number 1 receivers who played in the past till now: Marvin Harrison - Antonio Brown. I just think one more year and Hilton will be primed for a number 1 role and plenty of money

2. Vick Ballard is the best 3rd rb of all time :clap: (extreme sarcasm)

What I mean by "better fitted" is he's DEADLY in open space. There's more open space in the slot role than the outside role imo

haha you make it seem so bad. When you put it that way; makes you wonder should we all send the video of the play to Richard Sherman's Twitter when he tweets ahout being the #1 CB haha

Everybody gets beat. 

But really, it was more a function of the play design, particularly Hilton's alignment, that allowed him to get a clean release without Sherman bodying him up. There's no question in my mind that Hilton is faster than Sherman in a foot race, and that's essentially what that play became. 

I don't care who's number 8. As long as we're winning that the only thing that matters. Trent Richardson is the number one back on our team. Bradshaw is going to have to be the number 2 back. Have to keep him fresh because of the injuries. Ballard will also get his touches. At RB it's a great problem to have. This is the greatest depth at WR and RB we've never had ever.

People misunderstand how WRs are charted these days... In the past it always was about one outside left, one outside right and then 3rd man was slot. Nowadays, its all about number of snaps that signify importance/importance

It is a beautiful notion. But you're incorrect. It is still about one outside left, one outside right and a 3rd man in the slot. And by and large they are assigned to those positions based on skill set -which more often than not denotes talent - If anything has changed where you put which WR it is the emergence of the TE becoming another WR. Nevertheless, you still start your best man outside and he will take the majority of his reps there.

I think that there is too much concern about the designation of 1-2-3 etc. JMO

What a wonderful dilemma to be in, we have a WR set that is maybe 3-4-5 players deep all with skills to burn.

We two solid TE's that are going to put a hurt on opposing D's.

We are three deep at RB who can rotate and stay fresh.

And, Oh Yeah, we got a young QB who I think is just beginning to tap his true potential!

Not a Bad situation to be in.

My concern is, How is the O-line going to shape up?

How good can the D be in getting other teams off the field to give the O more chances?

And keep the scores down so there is not so much pressure on Andrew and the boys.

This is going to be fun to watch!