Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If you could have taken anybody in the first round who would it be?

RULES: 

- NO TRADING PICKS

- NO DRAFTING A PLAYER THEN TRADING THEM

- NO CLOWNEY, WATKINS, or MACK. They are who most people would have taken so make it interesting.

I would have taken Calvin Pyror. I love his comparisons to a bigger non injury prone Bob Sanders. Watching tape on this guy it is so easy to fall in deep love with him. This person is so fun to watch he makes me consider watching jets games now. ( of course as long as the colts are not playing at the same time)

Jake Matthews would have been great but Castanzo is not terrible, if Castanzo was able to play inside at guard then yea I like that pick a lot. Also I thought Donald was a 4-3 DT would he fit into our scheme, they said on nfl network he is to small to play end.

Positional value has a lot more impact on this retro look than the rules require.  ie. there are only a handful of right answers after Clowney, Mack, Watkins. 

If it is a top 5 pick and we use the OP rules:  Greg Robinson

Top 10:  Anthony Barr

Top 15: CJ Mosley

Top 20: D. Dennard

Top 30: Jimmie Ward

Give me Jake Matthews; he wasn't the best OT (3rd best LT if you ask me) in the draft, but the guy can play any position on the line at a very high level. I would drafted him and placed him at guard. Don't see too many guys with his kind of versatility.

2nd guy I would have taken is Calvin Pryor, guy fits in perfectly and is very well rounded. I was very impressed with his tapes.

3rd guy I would have taken is Aaron Donald. He's not a perfect fit, but he's very athletic and dominant in 1-on-1 situations.

Would Aaron Donald have been a good fit in a 3-4?  All I read about him was that he can be a great 3-technique in a 4-3, similar to Geno Atkins.

Not really, not in a traditional 3-4. But we gap our linemen more often than a traditional 3-4 does, so you can make room for him. Donald would fit best in a 4-3; the Rams are the perfect destination for him, to be honest. But for a guy as talented as he is, you plug him in and put him in position to make plays. Geno Atkins could play and probably dominate in our front, so long as we allow him to shoot gaps.

Would Aaron Donald have been a good fit in a 3-4?  All I read about him was that he can be a great 3-technique in a 4-3, similar to Geno Atkins.

I said the same thing, nfl network said hes to small to play end and I dont think he would be the right size for our scheme. Hes great paired with brockers on the rams thats going to be a very nice D line

I don't understand threads like this?     Who would you take from the first round (with the exception of three obvious players)

Why do this at all?

How about, who would you take if we had our original pick (26)....  you can't select anyone taken before 26....   so your choices start there and work their way down.........      that's a more realistic thread.     The rest is fanboy fantasy....

I'd have taken Ward, or Buchanon, whoever the staff felt was a better fit opposite Landry.

Otherwise..............

I don't understand threads like this?     Who would you take from the first round (with the exception of three obvious players)

Why do this at all?

How about, who would you take if we had our original pick (26)....  you can't select anyone taken before 26....   so your choices start there and work their way down.........      that's a more realistic thread.     The rest is fanboy fantasy....

I'd have taken Ward, or Buchanon, whoever the staff felt was a better fit opposite Landry.

Otherwise..............

nothing wrong with fanboy fantasy...if that's not your thing that's fine but the OP asked the question the way he wanted to ask it :)

if we had Pick 26.......Jimmie Ward, Jordan Matthews, Rashede Hageman, Jeremiah Attaochu, or Kyle Van Noy.........Who were all available at 26..........But I try not to think of that to much and just focus on what is

Ha-Ha Clinton Dix

Not so much for his ability or skills, but because my girlfriend and I had a contingency plan if he came to the Colts. It consisted of me getting his jersey and then customizing one for my girlfriend that had "Lewinsky" on the back.