Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2014 Forum Fantasy Football Leagues

Andy

IMO one thing needs to happen to make things as easy as possible... and that is to disallow keepers all together. Don't get me wrong... I like keepers just as much as the next guy but, with teams moving in between leagues every season it will be nearly impossible to police how keepers affect each league.

With teams moving up a league and others moving down a league it should be understood that your team got to where it is based off of good/bad drafting, waiver wire decisions, and team management. This process should be repeated from scratch each and every season.

Everyone should be kept on their toes and not given the opportunity to keep their best assets from the previous season... especially with new blood arrivals every season. Otherwise... these leagues will just turn into the "Good Ol' Boy Network" where the vets get to pick on the new kids.

That is not fun... nor is it fair.

The only way I can imagine keepers working is to assign new arrivals to an exiting manager's team... and that in itself is a mess that nobody wants to deal with. Not to mention, new managers should not be forced to manage an exiting manager's team as if it was their team all along... that is just disrespectful.

I appreciate your feedback, but I believe I've come up with something that would work very well. The new players inherit the teams and players from the departing players. They have to option to keep up to 2 players (they can keep none). I'm a big believer in being rewarded for last year's draft. If I draft an unknown stud, I want to be rewarded and have the chance to keep him. I drafted Jimmy Graham after his rookie year in the latter rounds, and I wanted to keep him going forward. If you make the right pick you should be rewarded. I understand the intrigue to completely redrafting, but if you want, you can keep no one and start from scratch. You have the option.

It's not a mess; it's a system. It works with Yahoo, and it's a very easy switch. The 2 arriving teams replacing the 2 departing teams. The 2 arriving teams inherit the players and they have their options from there. It's not complicated at all. 

So, if you don't like your keepers, then you can go in the draft and start all over. And if you keep a player, you lose your 1st round pick, and if you keep 2 you lose your first 2 rounds.

It's very fair.

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I appreciate your feedback, but I believe I've come up with something that would work very well. The new players inherit the teams and players from the departing players. They have to option to keep up to 2 players (they can keep none). I'm a big believer in being rewarded for last year's draft. If I draft an unknown stud, I want to be rewarded and have the chance to keep him. I drafted Jimmy Graham after his rookie year in the latter rounds, and I wanted to keep him going forward. If you make the right pick you should be rewarded. I understand the intrigue to completely redrafting, but if you want, you can keep no one and start from scratch. You have the option.

It's not a mess; it's a system. It works with Yahoo, and it's a very easy switch. The 2 arriving teams replacing the 2 departing teams. The 2 arriving teams inherit the players and they have their options from there. It's not complicated at all. 

So, if you don't like your keepers, then you can go in the draft and start all over. And if you keep a player, you lose your 1st round pick, and if you keep 2 you lose your first 2 rounds.

It's very fair.

Its cool. I am fine with it... I am just trying to think of how the new arrivals might feel inheriting a bad team(assumed) and having to possibly pick from every other manager's "throw aways"

Just because you can elect to not keep any players doesn't mean that the players available to them are worthy of a 1st or 2nd round pick.(especially a 1st round pick... 2nd round pick is more feasible).

Like I said, this is your party and I am just a fly on the wall. 

It's very fair.

Just a thought on this though.  If one is giving up their first 2 picks to keep a player it would only make sense from what I've seen is if at least one of those 2 players are RB's or Calvin Johnson and maybe Jimmy Graham.  

Because it isn't so much about if you drafted a good player it seems but it's more of a question of if you would draft that player in round one.

I grabbed Nick Foles and Keenan Allen off of waivers last year . . . but those are not guys I'd draft in round 1 or 2.

No problems with your system, it doesn't seem terribly unfair, but I think the way it's going to work in reality is whoever has the best RB's are gonna keep theirs while others are going to redraft the entire team.

Just a thought on this though.  If one is giving up their first 2 picks to keep a player it would only make sense from what I've seen is if at least one of those 2 players are RB's or Calvin Johnson and maybe Jimmy Graham.  

Because it isn't so much about if you drafted a good player it seems but it's more of a question of if you would draft that player in round one.

I grabbed Nick Foles and Keenan Allen off of waivers last year . . . but those are not guys I'd draft in round 1 or 2.

No problems with your system, it doesn't seem terribly unfair, but I think the way it's going to work in reality is whoever has the best RB's are gonna keep theirs while others are going to redraft the entire team.

Not necessarily...a team with a QB like Peyton, Brees, etc, may opt to keep them, since it is 6 points per passing TD..I have two of the top backs and an "elite" QB. so I'm debating on whom to keep

Not necessarily...a team with a QB like Peyton, Brees, etc, may opt to keep them, since it is 6 points per passing TD..I have two of the top backs and an "elite" QB. so I'm debating on whom to keep

Yea,

I Have Brees, Lynch and Shady McCoy.

One of those 3 will be available in the first round to someone who is not taking 2 keepers, so it will all work out in the end.

Oh I guess I'm not familiar with your scoring system then.  

Any other differences I should be aware of?  Is it PPR?  

Yeah, I can see your point, which is the reason my personal preference was always to not have keepers. But with 2 keepers, this is the best that can be done.

The flip side to your points would be that a loaded team with 3 or 4 borderline round 1 or 2 players will have a real good player that they will release to waivers. There is always 2 or 3 teams that will have those riches to grant "waivers" from. I am positive that it will even out to an extent since the rankings and performance across years is never guaranteed, which is the main fun aspect of FF. Draft is just half the battle, waivers is the other half including trades.

Oh I guess I'm not familiar with your scoring system then.  

Any other differences I should be aware of?  Is it PPR?  

No PPR..we just changed from 4-6 points per passing TD. Otherwise, its just the standard yahoo rules, at least from what I can remember.

I'm the co-commish in the Joe's league, but Andy sets the rules..I just help him out as much as possible, due to his work schedule.

Yeah, I can see your point, which is the reason my personal preference was always to not have keepers. But with 2 keepers, this is the best that can be done.

The flip side to your points would be that a loaded team with 3 or 4 borderline round 1 or 2 players will have a real good player that they will release to waivers. There is always 2 or 3 teams that will have those riches to choose from. I am positive that it will even out to an extent since the rankings and performance across years is never guaranteed, which is the main fun aspect of FF. Draft is just half the battle, waivers is the other half including trades.

I have 4 borderline players, so either Brees, AP, Lacy and Brandon Marshall are from my team, so 2 of those will be available.

Are there any changes that people want (that we may have done last year) that you would like to be in effect (points, rules, etc)?

If we get a few people wanting it, I'll gladly change it. Some things (*cough* keepers *cough*) won't change though.

Are there any changes that people want (that we may have done last year) that you would like to be in effect (points, rules, etc)?

If we get a few people wanting it, I'll gladly change it. Some things (*cough* keepers *cough*) won't change though.

I was thinking about maybe trying giving say like 1 point for each like 25 return yards, but since kicking isn't that relevant anymore, its basically a moot point. so i'm not really wanting to pursue. Just brought it up for discussion                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

It would add some extra stats for players that also play on special teams..aka Cordarelle Patterson comes to mind

I want special teams return yardage points for individual players or the team or both, 1 point for every 50 yards.

It may not seem huge but if a team gets about 200 yards of return yardage in a game, that adds 4 points to a special teams score.

My church league has done it not just for the team but also for the player for the last 7 years. So, players like T.Y.Hilton, Antonio Brown, Randall Cobb, Percy Harvin etc. become slightly more valuable because of that. It is HARD to just get TD points for a returner. But yardage points, if they are good returners, will greatly enhance the game, IMO.

I was thinking about maybe trying giving say like 1 point for each like 25 return yards, but since kicking isn't that relevant anymore, its basically a moot point. so i'm not really wanting to pursue. Just brought it up for discussion                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

It would add some extra stats for players that also play on special teams..aka Cordarelle Patterson comes to mind

We think alike. I felt 1 point for every 50 yards would be more appropriate than 1 point for every 25 yards like a QB.

I don't think this is popular but I've always wanted to have a league that awards a point for a first down gained.  Not a big deal, but I think it would be cool for FF to recognize the importance involved in gaining first downs.  

I want special teams return yardage points for individual players or the team or both, 1 point for every 50 yards.

It may not seem huge but if a team gets about 200 yards of return yardage in a game, that adds 4 points to a special teams score.

My church league has done it not just for the team but also for the player for the last 7 years. So, players like T.Y.Hilton, Antonio Brown, Randall Cobb, Percy Harvin etc. become slightly more valuable because of that. It is HARD to just get TD points for a returner. But yardage points, if they are good returners, will greatly enhance the game, IMO.

I thought about this last year, and after reviewing it now, I think it would be smart to have. So, I put in 1 point for every 50 yards. It's nothing major, but it''s something that's nice to be rewarded for (if you have those players).

So, right now, I put it at 50 yards per 1 point for the players only. The teams remain at the return TDs only, and I don't really plan on changing that.

I don't think this is popular but I've always wanted to have a league that awards a point for a first down gained.  Not a big deal, but I think it would be cool for FF to recognize the importance involved in gaining first downs.  

Well, I would need to have more people be on board for me to consider it, but I can tell you that 1 point is way too much for one player. Before considering that, I would need more interest. 

I'm partial to PPR. But if nobody else wants it it isn't a big deal. 

I personally think first downs are way too much, and not really partial to PPR. I like the addition of the KR yardage, but i think the player should get the 6 points for the TD, not the D/ST..they still have int and fumble recoveries. jmo. but I'm happy either way...

Lol. Message recieved. Like I have said, I am cool with it the way it is. Just bringing different perspectives to the table for debate. It shows that the players and LMs are staying involved and that is good for everyone.

Lol. Message recieved. Like I have said, I am cool with it the way it is. Just bringing different perspectives to the table for debate. It shows that the players and LMs are staying involved and that is good for everyone.

I don't know why you think I was directing that to you. Some people wanted to restart the league; numerous options have been given and it's more than fair.

The last thing I want is to think I'm upset at anyone, we're here to have fun and I don't want to ruin that.

I don't care about return yard, or first downs.

I like PPR, but am fine either way.

Whatever everyone decides on is fine, and I'll draft accordingly.

PPR is interesting, it's either all in or nothing. If I get an overwhelming response to the PPR, I don't mind, but it really has to be the vast majority. 

I don't know why you think I was directing that to you. Some people wanted to restart the league; numerous options have been given and it's more than fair.

The last thing I want is to think I'm upset at anyone, we're here to have fun and I don't want to ruin that.

PPR is interesting, it's either all in or nothing. If I get an overwhelming response to the PPR, I don't mind, but it really has to be the vast majority. 

I just figured since I was talking about it recently is why it was for me but, I didnt take it in a negative manner. We cool, brah! :)

I thought about this last year, and after reviewing it now, I think it would be smart to have. So, I put in 1 point for every 50 yards. It's nothing major, but it''s something that's nice to be rewarded for (if you have those players).

So, right now, I put it at 50 yards per 1 point for the players only. The teams remain at the return TDs only, and I don't really plan on changing that.

I'm totally cool with that return yardage. I am sure lots of leagues have games decided by 2 points or less, so if one of those players make a difference there, that would be great.

Here's how the keepers works (in this league at least).

There are 2 keepers. In other leagues, they did the "lose the 4th round because you drafted Player X in that round", but in this league, it's just the first 2 rounds. I don't even think Yahoo can do that, but maybe they can. Either way, if you have 2 keepers, you lose the first 2 rounds. 

What I'll have to figure out is if you guys should have to option to keep 1 or no keepers at all. If you guys can give me your imput on that, that would be great.

Andy if this is a 2 player "keeper" league...     EVERY TEAM keeps 2...     It has to be that way.         Some may have far better choices to keep but that is the nature of a keeper league.      Some teams are loaded and others ....    suck.

Now a $$  Dynasty league can get really fun...      keep as many as an owner likes...    for $100 dollars a player. 

We had one dude keep $700 dollaz of players one season...         And that was easy to maneuver just every round his pick came up we just penciled in one of his $ dudes.     until his roster needed additions.

That's just one way to do it...   there are many.

He finished 3rd ,,   out of the cheez.   heeheehehe

I don't think we should implement too many changes in one off season, The kick return yardage is OK, not something I would have voted for, but I doubt it will matter much.

I'm against PPR, because I have never played PPR and I don't feel like doing additional research before the draft. It's bad enough I'm going to look at who had a lot of return yardage last year.

I don't think we should implement too many changes in one off season, The kick return yardage is OK, not something I would have voted for, but I doubt it will matter much.

I'm against PPR, because I have never played PPR and I don't feel like doing additional research before the draft. It's bad enough I'm going to look at who had a lot of return yardage last year.

I agree, which is why any changes going forward must come with an almost unanimous approval. With some people against PPR, I doubt it will be implemented this year.

The return yardage is a very minor addition, and could only add a few points to each player. That's why I like it, it's not major in fantasy, yet it's an important factor in real games.

Andy if this is a 2 player "keeper" league...     EVERY TEAM keeps 2...     It has to be that way.         Some may have far better choices to keep but that is the nature of a keeper league.      Some teams are loaded and others ....    suck.

Now a $$  Dynasty league can get really fun...      keep as many as an owner likes...    for $100 dollars a player. 

We had one dude keep $700 dollaz of players one season...         And that was easy to maneuver just every round his pick came up we just penciled in one of his $ dudes.     until his roster needed additions.

That's just one way to do it...   there are many.

He finished 3rd ,,   out of the cheez.   heeheehehe

This is why I like you on this forum! As much as I would love to put in some money, I don't think we would get many takers and really the point of this league is NOT money. With all the money I have invested in other leagues, it's nice to have a worry-free (but very competitive) league like this one.

A dynasty could be something we could do in future leagues (like next year), but it just can't happen this year. 

As for your request for the 2 keepers, the point of the league is to start the league as fair as possible, but at the same time rewarding teams with keepers from last year. If you made a great pick last year, you should be able to keep it. Some teams won't have the same quality keepers as other teams, which is why they have the option of keeping one and putting their chips in the draft (or restarting completely). The more options that are given, the fairer everything is.

This is why I like you on this forum! As much as I would love to put in some money, I don't think we would get many takers and really the point of this league is NOT money. With all the money I have invested in other leagues, it's nice to have a worry-free (but very competitive) league like this one.

A dynasty could be something we could do in future leagues (like next year), but it just can't happen this year. 

As for your request for the 2 keepers, the point of the league is to start the league as fair as possible, but at the same time rewarding teams with keepers from last year. If you made a great pick last year, you should be able to keep it. Some teams won't have the same quality keepers as other teams, which is why they have the option of keeping one and putting their chips in the draft (or restarting completely). The more options that are given, the fairer everything is.

*slowclap*

Guys, let's please try to get the last guy in the Elite League. It is Helter Skelter and it is crazycolt. I've been trying. If he doesn't join, we'll have to find someone else and it's going to be very hard because I don't know if I'll take one from the Joe's league or just a new guy. 

Guys, let's please try to get the last guy in the Elite League. It is Helter Skelter and it is crazycolt. I've been trying. If he doesn't join, we'll have to find someone else and it's going to be very hard because I don't know if I'll take one from the Joe's league or just a new guy. 

Would make sense to me in that case to transfer the third place player from Joes league up to elite and open up spots on Joes league for new players.

Would make sense to me in that case to transfer the third place player from Joes league up to elite and open up spots on Joes league for new players.

I was 3rd place, however, I am also the co-commish of the Joe's league. If TK signs up again this year, he can move up *he hasn't signed up yet" As much as I'd love to show the Elite league my skills, I'd prefer to stay in the Joe's League if the situation arises.

I was 3rd place, however, I am also the co-commish of the Joe's league. If TK signs up again this year, he can move up *he hasn't signed up yet" As much as I'd love to show the Elite league my skills, I'd prefer to stay in the Joe's League if the situation arises.

That would probably be the fairest thing to do. TY Goodbye, if you want to stay that's cool, you'll have the choice. 

I'll send crazycolt another email; if he doesn't respond, then too bad for him, he'll lose his spot.

Noted B-Town, you're the 3rd alternate.

The Elite League is full, all 12 have joined.

7 of the 12 have joined in the Average Joe's league, and I expect that to get to 9 within the next couple of days. Realistically, there may be one or two open slots when it's all said and done. 

ATTENTION TO THE ELITE LEAGUE: I WILL BE SETTING UP THE SCHEDULE, SETTINGS, INITIAL DRAFT DATE + TIME OVER THE NEXT FEW DAYS. KEEP AN EYE OUT FOR THAT!

ATTENTION TO THE ELITE LEAGUE: I WILL BE SETTING UP THE SCHEDULE, SETTINGS, INITIAL DRAFT DATE + TIME OVER THE NEXT FEW DAYS. KEEP AN EYE OUT FOR THAT!

Didn't you say something to the effect of the playoffs could be in weeks 14, 15 & 16 instead of weeks, 15, 16 & 17? Right now, it is set to weeks 15, 16 & 17

Just curious. I remember Juanjo bringing it up and you responding a while ago.

Didn't you say something to the effect of the playoffs could be in weeks 14, 15 & 16 instead of weeks, 15, 16 & 17? Right now, it is set to weeks 15, 16 & 17

Just curious. I remember Juanjo bringing it up and you responding a while ago.

Well a few weeks ago I was just planning on going with the 14 week season and the 15,16,17 week playoff, because the schedule would work perfectly like that. However, since Week 17 is a bit of a rest week for a couple of teams (which makes a slight difference), I've decided to make the playoffs 14,15,16. This means you won't play one team in the league but I came to the conclusion that that won't be a big deal.

So, that's what's going to happen.

Hey guys,

The Elite League seems set. Schedule, divisions, everything is done. I'll start working on a draft date next month.

The Average Joe's league still has 5 players remaining. I've sent them reminders, but they haven't joined. TKnight is one of them, and I've sent him PMs on the forum, and he doesn't respond. Can someone get around to getting in touch with him as well as the other 4 guys. The 5 that need to join are (team names not forum names):

Bodacious Mantises

Rubber Duckies

Knights in Armor (that's Tknight)

IndyD4U

Team Nice Dynamite

These guys will have another two weeks to join the league, or else we'll go to the alternatives list, which I believe has 3 names on it. If you're interested in joining the league and have not notified me, this is your chance. Reply to this message expresses your interest.

Where have I been?! Absolutely I want to play again. I don't recall ever seeing the email. Average Joe's all the way ☺

Hey guys,

The Elite League seems set. Schedule, divisions, everything is done. I'll start working on a draft date next month.

The Average Joe's league still has 5 players remaining. I've sent them reminders, but they haven't joined. TKnight is one of them, and I've sent him PMs on the forum, and he doesn't respond. Can someone get around to getting in touch with him as well as the other 4 guys. The 5 that need to join are (team names not forum names):

Bodacious Mantises

Rubber Duckies

Knights in Armor (that's Tknight)

IndyD4U

Team Nice Dynamite

These guys will have another two weeks to join the league, or else we'll go to the alternatives list, which I believe has 3 names on it. If you're interested in joining the league and have not notified me, this is your chance. Reply to this message expresses your interest.

Andy,

Just got a hold of TK...he says he tried to respond but it wouldn't let him..might want to clean out your inbox..

TK is not playing this year, so that is 1 open team to fill so far.

Team nice dynamite is House...haven't seen him post for a while..and isn't the mantis team Bodacious Bryce?..not sure...and i cant remember who the rubber duckies were...but at least i got 2 down for you one way or another..

My inbox is not even half full, the error is on his side of the fence. Too bad, I liked him as a player, I'll talk to him and see if he wants to re-join.

If House hasn't posted, then I guess it is what it is. Bodacious Bryce, is he still around? I haven't seen too much of him on the forum as well. 

Finally, what about Rubber Duckies?

Either way, that's 4 open spots now, which is pretty good. We have 3 on the alternate list, so it will be an easy switch if one more joins.