Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2014 Forum Fantasy Football Leagues

Andy

Hello all,

It's that time of the year again; the time to rev up the engines for a new season of fantasy football. 

We've had two good seasons now, with last season being our first season under the Elite/Average Joes program. In the Average Joe's league, Dustin and Us and Them were the winners, meaning that they are going to be moving on into the Elite League. 

In the Elite league, hillbilliesfromhell (John Dee) and FX Stryker will be moving down into the Average Joe's league (which was ridiculously competitive). 

All teams have been sent a renewal email, and if you follow the easy instructions, you guys will be back in the league. Dustin, Us and Them, hillbillies and FX Stryker will get a different email soon directing you to the different leagues. How it will work from there, Dustin will have first choice at which of the vacant teams (from the 2 departing guys) that he wants, and Us and Them will take the other one. Hillbillies will have first choice at which team he wants in the Average Joe league (from the 2 departing teams). It's a switch; easy enough to understand.

I'd be surprised if every single team were to rejoin, so if you were not in the leagues last year, and you are interested this year, please post a comment in this thread showing your interest, and you will be placed on a waiting/alternate list. This list is important because.....

.... I expect every owner to be an active member of the league and to participate all the time. If this does not happen, the alternate/waiting list will come into play. Of course, we all have lives outside of the league (I hope), and there will probably be events or something every now and then. All I ask in those situations is just a courteous email a few days before the event letting me know. 

I haven't been on the forum much in the last week, I've just been way too busy, but what I plan on doing is setting up both leagues like I did last year and working with you guys to work on a functional draft date (and any other deadline). Last year we did it in mid-August; some guys liked after the preseason, so maybe we'll do that. Either way, we'll figure that crap out a bit later. 

I'm not sure if there's anything else I need to go over; a reminder to CHECK YOUR YAHOO EMAILS and to sign up into the league; THE QUICKER THE BETTER, and the faster I can get everything set up. 

So, who's ready for a great year?

Peace,

Andy

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello all,

It's that time of the year again; the time to rev up the engines for a new season of fantasy football. 

We've had two good seasons now, with last season being our first season under the Elite/Average Joes program. In the Average Joe's league, Dustin and Us and Them were the winners, meaning that they are going to be moving on into the Elite League. 

In the Elite league, hillbilliesfromhell (John Dee) and FX Stryker will be moving down into the Average Joe's league (which was ridiculously competitive). 

All teams have been sent a renewal email, and if you follow the easy instructions, you guys will be back in the league. Dustin, Us and Them, hillbillies and FX Stryker will get a different email soon directing you to the different leagues. How it will work from there, Dustin will have first choice at which of the vacant teams (from the 2 departing guys) that he wants, and Us and Them will take the other one. Hillbillies will have first choice at which team he wants in the Average Joe league (from the 2 departing teams). It's a switch; easy enough to understand.

I'd be surprised if every single team were to rejoin, so if you were not in the leagues last year, and you are interested this year, please post a comment in this thread showing your interest, and you will be placed on a waiting/alternate list. This list is important because.....

.... I expect every owner to be an active member of the league and to participate all the time. If this does not happen, the alternate/waiting list will come into play. Of course, we all have lives outside of the league (I hope), and there will probably be events or something every now and then. All I ask in those situations is just a courteous email a few days before the event letting me know. 

I haven't been on the forum much in the last week, I've just been way too busy, but what I plan on doing is setting up both leagues like I did last year and working with you guys to work on a functional draft date (and any other deadline). Last year we did it in mid-August; some guys liked after the preseason, so maybe we'll do that. Either way, we'll figure that crap out a bit later. 

I'm not sure if there's anything else I need to go over; a reminder to CHECK YOUR YAHOO EMAILS and to sign up into the league; THE QUICKER THE BETTER, and the faster I can get everything set up. 

So, who's ready for a great year?

Peace,

Andy

I'm in!

Thanks Andy!

Also, how are we going to do the keepers?

Just a thought here but maybe if we get the Colt Strong league back together we could form a 3rd division with our top 2 teams moving up to the Average Joes league and their bottom 2 moving down to our league.

I was in both leagues. So we'd have to find at least one more. Although Andy was in both leagues.

I was in both leagues. So we'd have to find at least one more. Although Andy was in both leagues.

We might also have to make sure our rules and scoring are the same.

I think this year I could do commish duties if Jamsie doesn't want to.

Quick update:

In the last 5 days, I've set two preliminary draft dates. Elite league: Sunday August 24th, 7:15pm... Average Joe's: Sunday August 24th, 8:30pm.

8/12 people have joined in the Elite League. I still need to send out the invites to Dustin and Us and Them, but I plan on doing that when the other 2 join.

4/12 people have joined the Average's Joe league. Please, badger this people until they join!!

BTW, it will be TWO KEEPERS! 

Valpo, as for your merging of your league. I'm open to it, but I'll have to look into it. I'm not saying yes right away.

For the Elite League, Dustin has been sent his email. Us and Them will need to be sent his... what's his name on the forum?

"Helter Skelter" aka crazycolt will need to join too. 

Once that happens, we'll be complete in the Elite League and then I'll focus my attention on the Average Joe's league.

Have not seen anything on email.  

pm info please or I can send you email info

Thanks

Yes, I have purposely not emailed you (or FX Stryker) yet because you will be switching leagues. 

I'll PM you now with more info. 

I think we said 2 keepers.

Ok, so this is my first year in a keeper league. So, just to be clear, we lose a pick from the round in which the keepers we picked were drafted last year?

So If I keep Tom Brady, I'll lose a 4th round pick (the round he was drafted in last year) right? 

Keepers mean every team "keeps" 2     or whatever...

then the draft starts.......

Ok, so this is my first year in a keeper league. So, just to be clear, we lose a pick from the round in which the keepers we picked were drafted last year?

So If I keep Tom Brady, I'll lose a 4th round pick (the round he was drafted in last year) right? 

You can keep a maximum of 2 and lose a maximum of 2 rounds of drafting then. If you keep 1, you miss 1 round of drafting. If you keep none, you draft in every round.

So, a player can choose to keep 0, 1 or 2 players from his team the previous year, based on the rules Andy has established as commish. If you feel you can get better players than what you have by not keeping any, you can opt for 0. Just analyze the teams that the others have and see if a team has a set of real good 3 or 4 players that you want and if they can keep only 2 at the most, you can target the 1 or 2 that you want once they are given back to the draft. However, remember that a bird in hand is more worth than two in the bush :).

I hope that helps.

You can keep a maximum of 2 and lose a maximum of 2 rounds of drafting then. If you keep 1, you miss 1 round of drafting. If you keep none, you draft in every round.

So, a player can choose to keep 0, 1 or 2 players from his team the previous year, based on the rules Andy has established as commish. If you feel you can get better players than what you have by not keeping any, you can opt for 0. Just analyze the teams that the others have and see if a team has a set of real good 3 or 4 players that you want and if they can keep only 2 at the most, you can target the 1 or 2 that you want once they are given back to the draft. However, remember that a bird in hand is more worth than two in the bush :).

I hope that helps.

We can't know what players we want to keep until everyone has decided how many keepers they are taking. I plan to keep 2, but if a bunch of teams say they are keeping 0, I may have to rethink my strategy.  Also, draft order is a huge piece to this, are we doing last place from last year drafts first? and so on?

We can't know what players we want to keep until everyone has decided how many keepers they are taking. I plan to keep 2, but if a bunch of teams say they are keeping 0, I may have to rethink my strategy.  Also, draft order is a huge piece to this, are we doing last place from last year drafts first? and so on?

That won't work because I can say I am keeping 0 this week. You make your strategy and then I say I am keeping 2 if I know we have to release our keeper list twice. Every team gives their list of keepers or no keepers once/twice and that is it. I don't see any advantage for you or me no matter how many times each team reveals their keepers. A smart team manager will withhold his keeper list till the last time he/everyone can change it, the deadlines will be the same for all teams.

Yes, Andy did say that it will be in reverse order of standings, the draft order. You will be picking #10 and I will be #11 and Juan (Spanish Virutas, the champ) will be #12 in the first round and then the snake format resumes (#12...#1 in round 2). Don't expect Shady McCoy to be there at #10, I can guarantee you. ;)

That won't work because I can say I am keeping 0 this week. You make your strategy and then I say I am keeping 2 if I know we have to release our keeper list twice. Every team gives their list of keepers or no keepers once/twice and that is it. I don't see any advantage for you or me no matter how many times each team reveals their keepers. A smart team manager will withhold his keeper list till the last time he/everyone can change it, the deadlines will be the same for all teams.

Yes, Andy did say that it will be in reverse order of standings, the draft order. You will be picking #10 and I will be #11 and Juan (Spanish Virutas, the champ) will be #12 in the first round and then the snake format resumes (#12...#1 in round 2). Don't expect Shady McCoy to be there at #10, I can guarantee you. ;)

Well obviously :)

Here's how the keepers works (in this league at least).

There are 2 keepers. In other leagues, they did the "lose the 4th round because you drafted Player X in that round", but in this league, it's just the first 2 rounds. I don't even think Yahoo can do that, but maybe they can. Either way, if you have 2 keepers, you lose the first 2 rounds. 

What I'll have to figure out is if you guys should have to option to keep 1 or no keepers at all. If you guys can give me your imput on that, that would be great.

Here's how the keepers works (in this league at least).

There are 2 keepers. In other leagues, they did the "lose the 4th round because you drafted Player X in that round", but in this league, it's just the first 2 rounds. I don't even think Yahoo can do that, but maybe they can. Either way, if you have 2 keepers, you lose the first 2 rounds. 

What I'll have to figure out is if you guys should have to option to keep 1 or no keepers at all. If you guys can give me your imput on that, that would be great.

I thought you had figured it out in another thread and wrote about it:

http://forums.colts.com/topic/24613-championship-game-is-set-average-joes/page-2

You wrote this:

Well the order itself is based on the previous year's standings. If you finished in last, you get the first pick.

When it comes to keepers and keeping one or no players, here's how it lays out. Let's just say Team 12, Team 9, Team 5, and Team 4 all keep one player and Team 2 keeps no players. It will look like this:

1st Round

Round 2

Round 3

That's how it would look. Hope that helps. In terms of the caliber of the players, it does not matter, and it wlll not affect the draft round. You keep two players, you lose the first two rounds.

http://forums.colts.com/topic/24613-championship-game-is-set-average-joes/page-2

You wrote this:

Well the order itself is based on the previous year's standings. If you finished in last, you get the first pick.

When it comes to keepers and keeping one or no players, here's how it lays out. Let's just say Team 12, Team 9, Team 5, and Team 4 all keep one player and Team 2 keeps no players. It will look like this:

1st Round

Round 2

Round 3

That's how it would look. Hope that helps. In terms of the caliber of the players, it does not matter, and it wlll not affect the draft round. You keep two players, you lose the first two rounds.

I haven't even looked at my roster, from last year, yet, but that sounds reasonable.

And interesting.

You wrote this:

1st Round

Round 2

Round 3

You sir, are very good!

My memory is not great. However, I wrote that and that's what it is. That's pretty much how I had it laid out now.

We're doing 2 keepers though, but we will play with the 1 or no keeper option.

Looks like we are just waiting on one more for the Elite League?

Yes, Helter Skelter (crazycolt1). I've sent him an email; I recommend you guys send him an email too.

Once he joins, I will set up everything (schedule, settings, etc). 

Quick update:

In the last 5 days, I've set two preliminary draft dates. Elite league: Sunday August 24th, 7:15pm... Average Joe's: Sunday August 24th, 8:30pm.

8/12 people have joined in the Elite League. I still need to send out the invites to Dustin and Us and Them, but I plan on doing that when the other 2 join.

4/12 people have joined the Average's Joe league. Please, badger this people until they join!!

BTW, it will be TWO KEEPERS! 

Valpo, as for your merging of your league. I'm open to it, but I'll have to look into it. I'm not saying yes right away.

Well here is the question . . . is it important to you that we had or have the exact same scoring and rules?

I don't know if our rules/scoring matched yours and we had not arranged for any keepers.  However we could likely re-form the league this year and base the rules on the already established rules.  

As far as keepers here is a question.  Since you are promoting/regulating teams. . . what if 1 team that is moving between leagues wants to keep one of the same players that a team that is already in the league wants to keep?

I think the biggest question needs to be if we have enough interest to warrant a 3rd league.  Last year we had a lot of people who were not able to get into Elite or Average Joes and they played with us, although I know at least BucColts played in 2 leagues.

Does it look as though all the slots for Elite and Average Joes are going to be full?  If so I'll see if we can get the interest in forming a 3rd league.  

For the record if not all the slots are full I'd like to put my name out there as wanting one of those open slots.

Well here is the question . . . is it important to you that we had or have the exact same scoring and rules?

I don't know if our rules/scoring matched yours and we had not arranged for any keepers.  However we could likely re-form the league this year and base the rules on the already established rules.  

As far as keepers here is a question.  Since you are promoting/regulating teams. . . what if 1 team that is moving between leagues wants to keep one of the same players that a team that is already in the league wants to keep?

I think the biggest question needs to be if we have enough interest to warrant a 3rd league.  Last year we had a lot of people who were not able to get into Elite or Average Joes and they played with us, although I know at least BucColts played in 2 leagues.

Does it look as though all the slots for Elite and Average Joes are going to be full?  If so I'll see if we can get the interest in forming a 3rd league.  

For the record if not all the slots are full I'd like to put my name out there as wanting one of those open slots.

Before I address your reply, I want to say that Yahoo has some restrictions. There's some detailed things their system (or any system really) do not do/use. So, when I say something cannot be done, it's most likely because the system won't allow it (or the players don't want it).

Preferably, the rules/scoring should be the same. It makes everything easier to understand, and I don't think the changes would be major.

"what if 1 team that is moving between leagues wants to keep one of the same players that a team that is already in the league wants to keep?" See that's a perfect example of the Yahoo system restricting what we can and cannot do, plus it would be quite difficult to track.

As for interest, I'm waiting for one more in the Elite League to read his email and join that league. Once he does and joins, that league will be full. The Average Joe's league currently has 5 players in it. I sent out the email last week. I'll give it a couple more days before I send out another reminder email. We'll see where we stand at the end of the month. If we're a couple of players short, then we'll have to figure something out (like maybe get some guys from your league). "Akcolt" and yourself are the two first alternates, respectively. 

Obviously the sign up for Average Joes league is way behind.   I deleted last years log in so don't even have the list of who was on the team now in order to email and bug them.  

I've sent them all reminders (and just sent Fx Stryker his "switching leagues" email) to the players. I'll send another one in a couple of days. The current teams that have not signed up (not including Fx Stryker) are:

Bodacious Mantises

Rubber Duckies

Knights in Armor

IndyD4U

Natural Bjorn Killer

Team Nice Dynamite

I'm not sure of their forum names, although I think Knights in Armor is Tknight24

The first two alternates are:

Akcolt

Valpo

I've sent them all reminders (and just sent Fx Stryker his "switching leagues" email) to the players. I'll send another one in a couple of days. The current teams that have not signed up (not including Fx Stryker) are:

Bodacious Mantises

Rubber Duckies

Knights in Armor

IndyD4U

Natural Bjorn Killer

Team Nice Dynamite

I'm not sure of their forum names, although I think Knights in Armor is Tknight24

The first two alternates are:

Akcolt

Valpo

Team Nice Dynamite was House that took over for another guy that quit...Indy D4U that's his forum name..knights is TKnight24,,cant remember the rest though

Team Nice Dynamite was House that took over for another guy that quit...Indy D4U that's his forum name..knights is TKnight24,,cant remember the rest though

Alright let's badger these guys with messages haha

BTW, just made you co-commish again. You did a great job last year and were the backbone to the league.

IMO one thing needs to happen to make things as easy as possible... and that is to disallow keepers all together. Don't get me wrong... I like keepers just as much as the next guy but, with teams moving in between leagues every season it will be nearly impossible to police how keepers affect each league.

With teams moving up a league and others moving down a league it should be understood that your team got to where it is based off of good/bad drafting, waiver wire decisions, and team management. This process should be repeated from scratch each and every season.

Everyone should be kept on their toes and not given the opportunity to keep their best assets from the previous season... especially with new blood arrivals every season. Otherwise... these leagues will just turn into the "Good Ol' Boy Network" where the vets get to pick on the new kids.

That is not fun... nor is it fair.

The only way I can imagine keepers working is to assign new arrivals to an exiting manager's team... and that in itself is a mess that nobody wants to deal with. Not to mention, new managers should not be forced to manage an exiting manager's team as if it was their team all along... that is just disrespectful.