Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pep Hamilton now preaching balanced Colts' offense

OldSchoolColt

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will never understand why coaches are so reluctant to change. Anyone with two eyes could see the offense was better under Arians. You have one of the best QB's in the league and you want to power run....ok

Good. Pagano's power running scheme is a failure.

Maybe not this year with an "improved" offensive line but who knows.

The power running scheme isn't a failure because power running doesn't work,  it's a failure because we didn't have the o-line to run it.

But, in theory at least,  we do now.

This story is a poor.....   it makes it seem like Pep is going to be running a whole new offense.   He's not.   He's going to be running the same offense he wanted to run last year,  only it got wiped out by injuries and poor o-line personnel.

The power running scheme isn't a failure because power running doesn't work,  it's a failure because we didn't have the o-line to run it.

This story is a poor.....   it makes it seem like Pep is going to be running a whole new offense.   He's not.   He's going to be running the same offense he wanted to run last year,  only it got wiped out by injuries and poor o-line personnel.

It failed because Richardson failed in the system, yet Donald Brown (not a power back but more of an elusive one), had much more success.

It failed because Richardson failed in the system, yet Donald Brown (not a power back but more of an elusive one), had much more success.

Richardson also didn't know the full playbook, didn't have the benefit of OTA's, Training camp or preseason with the team.  He had spent that time learning a new offense in Cleveland.  The playcalling was much more telegraphed when Richardson was on the field as opposed to when Brown was.  

Also the article didn't say the team was switching to a zone blocking run game so...yeah they'll still be using a power running game.  

I will never understand why coaches are so reluctant to change. Anyone with two eyes could see the offense was better under Arians. You have one of the best QB's in the league and you want to power run....ok

Not it wasn't. People are forgetting how stagnate the offense often was under Arians. I would have hated to see that offense minus Reggie and Dwayne Allen.

They have always discussed balance in the offense even WITH the :Power Running."

This article is nothing new and a true waste of time.  Good Post NCF!

Our 3 runners are all power runners.....with Allen blocking along with the tackles and new OL help (Mewhort) I am looking forward to what we can achieve.

I'm sort of with you. . . I don't understand why coaches don't change their strategies to adapt to the reality of the team that they have in front of them.

A power run game behind Luck would make him even better and the Colts even better.  So in that sense the idea of having a power run game is good.

But in reality it really just didn't work that way.  The offensive line just couldn't open up the holes consistently.

Yes, we have a great young QB, but I absolutely love that we are wanting a legit running attack. And by legit, I mean one that doesn't disappear in the post season, when it's most important, after having a fairly decent regular season - like the years with Edgerrin James. :peek:

Not it wasn't. People are forgetting how stagnate the offense often was under Arians. I would have hated to see that offense minus Reggie and Dwayne Allen.

Some things were better under Arians. Others were pretty awful. Most people know I wasn't really a fan...

We need to be able to run the ball more effectively, and you can't run the ball unless you try to run the ball. People don't like to hear it, but it takes time to develop a strong rushing attack. Can't just snap your fingers.

That said, the way we opened games at times last season was maddening, with the stubborn insistence on establishing the run game first. Several weeks in a row it didn't work, and led to us being behind at halftime. We should do whatever it takes to get the offense in a rhythm, and then everything will come easier. It will also make life easier on the defense.

We ran Donald Brown out of more spread formations than we did with Trent Richardson. Not trying to ignore Richardson's poor play, but we didn't put him in good position most of the time, whereas Donald Brown got the change-of-pace carries and had more success. 

This drove me nuts!  Almost all of the time, with young QBs, you'll hear people say they should be a run-first offense to take pressure off their QB.  You hear it with RG3, Wilson, Kaep, Ryan, and Flacco earlier on.  But Luck is better than every QB coming college since Peyton.  Use his talents!  I never understood why they were so insistent on being a power running team when we clearly didn't have the personnel for it.  It's all about balance.  I don't want to see Luck throw 40+ times each game, but to try to run the ball just so you can say you're a power running team seems unproductive.  Work with the talent you have and focus on attaining more talent when you can.  But until you have the talent to be a power running team (even though you should strive to be a balanced team), use your great QB's skills.  I don't like the excessively old-school mentality Pagano and Grigs take.

We turned into a completely different offense late last year (for a brief time anyway) when we spread out the field in 3/4 receiver sets... and it also opened up more holes in the run game.

I sincerely doubt we are a run first offense this year... and I sincerely hope Havili becomes obsolete. We have versatile offensive weapons... let's play a fast paced offense and exploit mismatches.

Pep is doing a good job. We were killed by injuries and now have more personnel to run the offense Pagano wants. I am all for having a run oriented team with Luck throwing to our arsenal of talented receivers she. Needed. I remember it wasn't too long ago everyone was whining saying Peyton was forced to carry the team and we needed a running game to win championships. Be patient people...it takes time. The monster is coming

The power running scheme isn't a failure because power running doesn't work, it's a failure because we didn't have the o-line to run it.

But, in theory at least, we do now.

This story is a poor..... it makes it seem like Pep is going to be running a whole new offense. He's not. He's going to be running the same offense he wanted to run last year, only it got wiped out by injuries and poor o-line personnel.

You being a Stanford fan, you can admit Pep never had the talent/depth he has now at Stanford for WR's

All he knew was RB & TE & a dominate offensive line

I loved watching Stanford play, you guys always had a certain swagger to it. Should be nice to see what Pep can do with a nice WR corps

I am all in favor of having a balanced attack. What I am not in favor of is a predictable offense, especially in the run game.

Let's make opposing defenses guess what we're going to do, instead of holding a defensive meeting in our backfield. Richardson was tackled in the backfield way too often, mostly because the defense could anticipate what was going to happen before the snap.

I am all in favor of having a balanced attack. What I am not in favor of is a predictable offense, especially in the run game.

Let's make opposing defenses guess what we're going to do, instead of holding a defensive meeting in our backfield. Richardson was tackled in the backfield way too often, mostly because the defense could anticipate what was going to happen before the snap.

Well the thing is our offensive line sucked

The 49ers do what we tried to do last season. Bring extra linemen in & let the defense know "Hey, we're about to run this play & you won't stop us"

Next thing you know Frank Gore is busting loose for 10+ yards

Everything starts in the trenches

Well the thing is our offensive line sucked

The 49ers do what we tried to do last season. Bring extra linemen in & let the defense know "Hey, we're about to run this play & you won't stop us"

Next thing you know Frank Gore is busting loose for 10+ yards

Everything starts in the trenches

Yeah, I agree with you. I totally get that. But even if we had a good O-line, why tip your hand?  I just don't like that "Power running" bit, at all.

The Eagles run just fine without it, as do the Chiefs. I think we should worry about being effective, rather than physically dominant. Obviously, we aren't that.

Yeah, I agree with you. I totally get that. But even if we had a good O-line, why tip your hand?  I just don't like that "Power running" bit, at all.

The Eagles run just fine without it, as do the Chiefs. I think we should worry about being effective, rather than physically dominant. Obviously, we aren't that.

If you want to run the ball, you line up and run the ball. Trickery isn't really conducive to having an effective rushing attack. At the end of games, when you're trying to run the clock out, you have to be physically dominant. In short yardage situations, you have to be physically dominant.

There are a lot of different ways to do this, of course. I don't think we need to use big/heavy formations and personnel groupings to run effectively, but I don't mind that kind of attack. It can be devastatingly effective, like it was in the Niners game last year. 

I agree, to me this story is the same as the "No-coast offense" ones we heard all last off season...

This is not true and it was covered at length some time ago. Yes, Richardson failed, but he came from a zone blocking scheme in college. Brown, on the other hand, came from a power blocking scheme at UConn. So, even with a subpar line, Brown was able to excel (at least excel for our crap running game).

It's just going to be like the offense that we saw near and at the end of the season!

Colts need to be more balanced! On both sides of the ball really!! I would like to see our defense be more aggressive and our offense air it out just a little more

This is not true and it was covered at length some time ago. Yes, Richardson failed, but he came from a zone blocking scheme in college. Brown, on the other hand, came from a power blocking scheme at UConn. So, even with a subpar line, Brown was able to excel (at least excel for our crap running game).

It was covered, but was mostly malarkey

You being a Stanford fan, you can admit Pep never had the talent/depth he has now at Stanford for WR's

All he knew was RB & TE & a dominate offensive line

I loved watching Stanford play, you guys always had a certain swagger to it. Should be nice to see what Pep can do with a nice WR corps

Yes, Pep now has more toys to play with than he's ever had at Stanford...........

Whether he now knows what to do with them is another story.     I hope he does, but I don't know if he does.    I remain un-committed to Pep.     I have very mixed feelings about his first year as OC.    I feel better this 2nd year with a better roster to do what he wants to do.

But the best piece the Colts acquired this off-season (for me, at least)  remains Chudzinski.    I hope he makes sure that Pep keeps the offense running smoothly..........

Unfortunately statements like this don't go over well on team message boards. The idea is to talk up the current player, coach, or GM and talk down the former player, coach, or GM.

If the shoe was on the other foot then most people here would say that they liked Arians more. Bruce left the building; so now, he was obviously never good to begin with. 

I am with you though. I hope Pep can become as good as Arians one day, but that day is not today. It will take some time.

I honestly don't mind being a pass first team. Let Andrew throw around 35 times a game and run the ball... maybe 25 times.

I have a completely different take. 

I say we take what the defense gives us. If they are loading the box then pass. If the box is thin, then run. This is the Peyton Manning Principle 101. 

Unfortunately statements like this don't go over well on team message boards. The idea is to talk up the current player, coach, or GM and talk down the former player, coach, or GM.

If the shoe was on the other foot then most people here would say that they liked Arians more. Bruce left the building; so now, he was obviously never good to begin with. 

I am with you though. I hope Pep can become as good as Arians one day, but that day is not today. It will take some time.

Luck's life insurance policy got 50% cheaper when Bruce left town.