Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts rank #5 in Top 5 WR Cores heading into 2014 Season

TKnight24

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000353311/article/nfls-top-receiving-corps-redskins-bears-lead-the-way

List is okay, but #1 is completely wrong imo

But good to know we're being recognized :)

:colts:

Yeah, it's definitely subjective. The Falcons have to be considered too.

I think we have the potential to be the best because our TEs will draw coverage. But too many question marks right now.

Still, sometimes I'm surprised the writers knows there's a team in Indy.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000353311/article/nfls-top-receiving-corps-redskins-bears-lead-the-way

Good list but I agree with you! People just want the Redskins to be good so much... I'm not sure why. Maybe because RGIII or because they are in the capital but people tend to dream about them being great every year! Almost like the Cowboys.. They should be #5 on the list and everyone else moves up

I would list them as suck

1) Broncos(because Manning)

2) 49'ers(even though they are a run team)

3) Colts(a lot of new blood in this season with some likely on the way out)

4) Bears(would be higher but... LOL@Cutler)

5) Redskins(until proven otherwise this WR corps is nothing but a hype train)

Call me crazy but I only saw one team on that list with a WR core better or equal to what we have and that is Denver.  And Brooks had to go and add Cody Lattimer on the list.  Okay if you want to go that route then where does that put us if we add Moncrief on to the list? Not to mention Brazil

I would list em:

1) Bears

2) Broncos

3) Colts

4) Lions

5) Redskins

I'm surprised the combo of Golden Tate and Calvin Johnson isn't talked about more. Bring in Ebron and that is a nasty arsenal.

It's cause every season the Lions have an arsenal to enable Stafford to throw for 4,500+ yards yet he always finds a way to screw up or the defense screws up

i disagree, i actually like the redskins WR group. DJax and Garcon alone are a scary duo to face. both are deep threats regardless of who they are facing. Roberts gives them that short yardage threat they need a long with Reed who is a big body TE and played well for them last year. you put that whole group with their run game in Alfred Morris and RG3 (people are mistaken if they think last year was a glimpse of what is to come) that offense could be very scary in the NFC east. 

now in no way am i saying our group isn't as good as anyone elses because lets face it, the bears WR group has nothing on the colts WR group. but the broncos, well it is self explanatory. Peyton makes any receiver look good regardless of who he is. honestly he could prob make Tebow look like a pro bowl WR even with tebow being a or was a QB (seeing he isn't playing anymore). and the Niners, the addition of Steve Johnson just made that offense terrifying. honestly believe it is good enough if healthy to beat the Seahawks this last year in the NFCCG.

that being said i would prob order it like this IMO

1) Broncos

2) Skins

3) Niners

4) Colts

5) Falcons 

Call me crazy but I only saw one team on that list with a WR core better or equal to what we have and that is Denver.  And Brooks had to go and add Cody Lattimer on the list.  Okay if you want to go that route then where does that put us if we add Moncrief on to the list? Not to mention Brazil

idk i think the Niners have a better group then us also. the addition of steve johnson and bringing back Lloyd has helped them. 

I completely disagree with Washington being ranked 1st. Colts and 9ers should be 1st and 2nd IMO. It makes me mad the writer stated "Some may be surprised to see the Colts on this list". Wayne, Nicks, Hilton, Rogers, Moncrief, Allen, and Fleener. These people have no idea how good Rogers and Moncrief will be either. Nicks will return to form playing with Luck, We know what Hilton can do, and even if Wayne isn't himself, Rogers or Moncrief could be the 3rd guy and IMO be solid.

idk i think the Niners have a better group then us also. the addition of steve johnson and bringing back Lloyd has helped them. 

And which one of Nicks, Wayne, and Hilton is Lloyd or Johnson better than?  They've got one tight end that's better than Fleener and Allen, but I'll take our two very solids over that one guy. Boldin is solid but he isn't going to put up more production than Wayne. Wayne's knee is the question but I think  he'll be okay.  Then look at what's on our bench, Moncreif, Rodgers/ Whalen, Brazil.  I don't tink too many people have the type of depth and quality we have this year.  We are stacked across the board to be honest

The skins are potentially explosive but who is moving the chains for that team? 

Well, the article specifically mentions Jordan Reed (who was fantastic when healthy).  The real answer, of course, is Alfred Morris :)

Well, the article specifically mentions Jordan Reed (who was fantastic when healthy).  The real answer, of course, is Alfred Morris :)

Reed has started 4 games played in 9 in his career. He ended the year on IR with a concussion that lasted 4 weeks. When it comes to throwing the ball who is moving the chains? The possession WR that makes the tough catch over the middle in the group?.

I am with PC any WR corps that has Megatron is top 5. Washington not so much

And which one of Nicks, Wayne, and Hilton is Lloyd or Johnson better than?  They've got one tight end that's better than Fleener and Allen, but I'll take our two very solids over that one guy. Boldin is solid but he isn't going to put up more production than Wayne. Wayne's knee is the question but I think  he'll be okay.  Then look at what's on our bench, Moncreif, Rodgers/ Whalen, Brazil.  I don't tink too many people have the type of depth and quality we have this year.  We are stacked across the board to be honest

No mention of Crabtree?

The Niners top receiving options, in whatever order is Crabtree, Davis, Boldin, Johnson, right? They don't get much receiving offense out of their backs; Gore only had 16 catches last year. And they have some new options but no one that really needs to be in the discussion yet. But that's a pretty good corps.

Ours would be Wayne, Hilton, Nicks, Fleener, Allen... and we have some notable depth that will make the roster, plus we use our backs in the passing game more often. The question mark is Wayne's health. Assuming he's at least at 75% this year, I think our corps is better at the top, and deeper.

But if Wayne isn't at least able to play at a solid #2 level, then I think Crabtree is better than our top option, Stevie Johnson and Anquan Boldin are better than our #2 and #3 (Nicks and Hilton, in whatever order), and Davis is better than Fleener or Allen (yeah, there's a benefit to us having two pretty good TEs, but Davis is one of the very best at his position, and his production backs that up). We're probably still deeper, even if Reggie can't play at all, and more diverse since we throw to our backs. And we have more young potential in Moncrief, Rogers, Brazill, etc. But I can see the debate, because Crabtree, Johnson, Boldin and Davis are a strong top four. If they get anything out of Baldwin or Ellington, they'll be in pretty good shape.

For future ref... It is a WR corp, not core. Pronounced the same, but...

*let the "we all knew what he meant" and the "grammar police" crowds chime in here*

Sorry to burst your grammatically superior bubble, but I believe its actually 'corps' buddy

For future ref... It is a WR corp, not core. Pronounced the same, but...

*let the "we all knew what he meant" and the "grammar police" crowds chime in here*

-______-

Just had to do it didn't you? No apple juice sharing with you this upcoming season!!!! :no:

I call beef salami as the Redskins being #1 on this list. Serously? DJax and Garcon, who pretty much left us for them and two guys that aren't proven yet as WR's. I'm surprised they didn't put Detroit OR Atlanta on here, but #1 will definitely be Denver's corps for me, no questions asked. Atlanta is pretty stacked at receiver too, holy jeez.

1. Denver

2. SF

3. Indy

4. Chicago

5. Atlanta

No mention of Crabtree?

The Niners top receiving options, in whatever order is Crabtree, Davis, Boldin, Johnson, right? They don't get much receiving offense out of their backs; Gore only had 16 catches last year. And they have some new options but no one that really needs to be in the discussion yet. But that's a pretty good corps.

Ours would be Wayne, Hilton, Nicks, Fleener, Allen... and we have some notable depth that will make the roster, plus we use our backs in the passing game more often. The question mark is Wayne's health. Assuming he's at least at 75% this year, I think our corps is better at the top, and deeper.

But if Wayne isn't at least able to play at a solid #2 level, then I think Crabtree is better than our top option, Stevie Johnson and Anquan Boldin are better than our #2 and #3 (Nicks and Hilton, in whatever order), and Davis is better than Fleener or Allen (yeah, there's a benefit to us having two pretty good TEs, but Davis is one of the very best at his position, and his production backs that up). We're probably still deeper, even if Reggie can't play at all, and more diverse since we throw to our backs. And we have more young potential in Moncrief, Rogers, Brazill, etc. But I can see the debate, because Crabtree, Johnson, Boldin and Davis are a strong top four. If they get anything out of Baldwin or Ellington, they'll be in pretty good shape.

I forgot about Crabtree so that changes the pic a little bit.  Under the circumstances (Wayne not healthy) you make a good point.

I do agree with you in saying our corps is better and deeper.

I forgot about Crabtree so that changes the pic a little bit.  Under the circumstances (Wayne not healthy) you make a good point.

I do agree with you in saying our corps is better and deeper.

Yeah, Crabtree being hurt last year makes it easy to forget about him. But I think he's a really good receiver: well-rounded, good size, decent hands, good route-runner, good speed. Probably most comparable to Hakeem Nicks, as decent #1 guy at best.

Yeah, Crabtree being hurt last year makes it easy to forget about him. But I think he's a really good receiver: well-rounded, good size, decent hands, good route-runner, good speed. Probably most comparable to Hakeem Nicks, as decent #1 guy at best.

He has magnets for hands.

I think we have potential to be a top unit in the league but the end if last year makes me damper the enthusiasm a bit. Our younger guys are developing and I think we have multiple #1 receivers in the making. However, we aren't there yet but I bet we will be tops in the next couple years. Here are the few I think have an equal if not better group than the Colts in no particular order:

Broncos

Lions

Redskins

Bucs

49ers

Bears

Bengals

What helps us is our depth but I still think it is just ready for spot duty as of now. I can't wait for Allen, Rodgers and Moncrief to grow together with Hilton stretching the field.