Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jack Mewhort -- Colts -- Full Scouting Report

Andy

Sooo, where does it say he's a C? Read some articles on him saying he's best suited at C, how is that possible if.......

Basically what I'm asking is when was the last time he played C or what has he shown that suggests he's a C?

Cause he's listed as a OT and it seems Grigson is gonna have him at G so I don't understand this C talk

I guess because he got Samson Satele's old locker?  Closest thing I can come up with about center.  But maybe he can do it. Coach Pagano calls him Mr. Incredible -

Mewhort.jpg

2962051-mv5bmtmwmtuymdewmf5bml5banbnxkft

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well according to forum user: BlueShoe Mike Mayock when we drafted him said he's a C so I'm just looking for clarity here

I did not hear Mayock say that. His first words when they announced the pick were something to the effect "Notice that they list him as a Guard and not a Tackle. They're gonna use him as a Guard."

If he did say something about playing Center, I do not remember. He could have but I just don't remember that.

I did not hear Mayock say that. His first words when they announced the pick were something to the effect "Notice that they list him as a Guard and not a Tackle. They're gonna use him as a Guard."

If he did say something about playing Center, I do not remember. He could have but I just don't remember that.

Yeah I was at work when the 2-7 rounds were going so all I had was the Colts app to tell me who we picked. It's pretty clear he'll be a Guard for us

Quite a break down Andy, thanks for putting in the work and effort. I do have a question. You have as a strength that he is quick out of his stance and then as a weakness that he lacks explosion out of his stance. Those seem to be contradictory.

Explosion could be run blocking stance. Like the impact of his blocking

Then he's quick out his pass block stance

Feel free to stop me cause I have no idea what Andy meant, only Andy knows what Andy knows haha

From NFL.com

Pick Analysis: "Mewhort played left tackle at Ohio State, but most think he'll kick inside to guard. Some believe his best position is center. Mewhort is a smart, tough guy." -- Mike Mayock

Feel free to stop me cause I have no idea what Andy meant, only Andy knows what Andy knows haha

You could be correct.  He could be quick out of his stance and then... do nothing.

Andy's report is similar to mine in quite a few ways.  I watched the Northwestern game and I forget the other one... WVU maybe.  Anyways the biggest thing I disagree with Andy is on balance.  In the games I watched Mewhort displayed excellent balance, especially when pass blocking.

Well according to forum user: BlueShoe Mike Mayock when we drafted him said he's a C

From NFL.com - Pick Analysis: "Mewhort played left tackle at Ohio State, but most think he'll kick inside to guard. Some believe his best position is center. Mewhort is a smart, tough guy." -- Mike Mayock

I'm sorry but that is not really germaine to me.

TKnight's commented that BlueShoe said when we drafted Mewhort, Mike Mayock said he's a C.

Perhaps someone else read something different in TKnight's post but that's what I read. My obvious conclusion is that they're talking about Mayock's comments live on draft day. Not something that NFL.com put up after the draft.

Nevertheless, since the parsing police entered the fray, allow me to continue the childishness; Mayock did not state that he's a Center on the NFL.com comments. He only stated Mewhort played LT at Ohio State and that Mewhort is a smart, tough guy. Everything else was Mayock passing on what others think & believe.

:)

Unless Holmes flops you are right

Could be.  At this point all 3 spots on the interior of the O-line are a big question mark.  I'm hoping we can find 3 guys in there that can shore that up, pass protect Luck and open up some holes for the RB's.  

Could be.  At this point all 3 spots on the interior of the O-line are a big question mark.  I'm hoping we can find 3 guys in there that can shore that up, pass protect Luck and open up some holes for the RB's.

I feel that Harrison is the player to push, backup and/or replace Holmes

TKnight's commented that BlueShoe said when we drafted Mewhort, Mike Mayock said he's a C.

Perhaps someone else read something different in TKnight's post but that's what I read. My obvious conclusion is that they're talking about Mayock's comments live on draft day. Not something that NFL.com put up after the draft.

Nevertheless, since the parsing police entered the fray, allow me to continue the childishness; Mayock did not state that he's a Center on the NFL.com comments. He only stated Mewhort played LT at Ohio State and that Mewhort is a smart, tough guy. Everything else was Mayock passing on what others think & believe.

LOL, yes I guess technically he didn't "say" it but that is what he posted on the NFL draft tracker immediately after the Colts pick.

Sooo, where does it say he's a C? Read some articles on him saying he's best suited at C, how is that possible if.......

Basically what I'm asking is when was the last time he played C or what has he shown that suggests he's a C?

Cause he's listed as a OT and it seems Grigson is gonna have him at G so I don't understand this C talk

The guy is 6'6" and NOONE wants a center that tall. You need to consider your sources better and use some logic.

ALL the talking heads said the Colts needed a center as just like the Gomers on this board, they were daft about the Fact we already had a Center. So of course they would feel compelled to be 'Smart" and included Center as a position Jack could play.

It is CRITCAL as i am sure you understand, to have a G/C or C/G to be the backup center on the limited gameday roster.

So looking at our Roster ask yourself who are the best prospects to be on the gameday roster who can be the backup center as that is what the coaches are looking for.

With Donald Thomas a Big ? mark healthwise, and Austin maybe not one of the best 8-9, Jack seems to be the best prospect of the rest. This season it looks like we may need him to be the backup Center, but i hope his future is more as a Starting Guard and best available at backup Tackle. I know i personnaly am rooting also for X Nixon to be his best.     Go Jack!

Ok, I'm not going to go back and forth with you on the height part; there hasn't been a starting center 6'6 and over in the last several years. It's not a coincidence. It's not like he won't ever play the position, but he needs to learn how to play lower before he could ever play there.

Ryan Cook started 11 games for the Cowboys as recently as 2012 at 6'6. Mike Pouncey and Max Unger are both only an inch under at 6'5 each. Peter Konz, too, if you want a less talented player. An inch is an inch, but I don't think 6'6 is a definite 'no' for a prospect to play center. It depends on a lot more than just height.

Mewhort is likely a starting guard, but there have been a few 6'6ish centers.

Ryan Cook started 11 games for the Cowboys as recently as 2012 at 6'6. Mike Pouncey and Max Unger are both only an inch under at 6'5 each. Peter Konz, too, if you want a less talented player. An inch is an inch, but I don't think 6'6 is a definite 'no' for a prospect to play center. It depends on a lot more than just height.

The era of small centers came about during the era of immobile and/ or small QBs

In today's NFL the QBs are big and/or mobile which means a center does not have to be under 6'3

Just for clarification: I never said Mewhort was a center. I said he could play center, and there is a possibility that someday he could become our center. I also said that Mayock said (at the time we drafted Mewhort) a lot of people in the NFL believe that center is Mewhort's best position in the NFL. I believe that Mewhort will play guard and maybe even someday become our right tackle. I also believe he could snap for us at some point in his career. He is flexible and can play all 5 positions, and that is what the Colts liked most about him. 

Tknight is fabricating the rest.

This is word for word what Mayock said:

http://youtu.be/DoKXqQ2an3A

Stop making so much sense man! ;)

The era of small centers came about during the era of immobile and/ or small QBs

In today's NFL the QBs are big and/or mobile which means a center does not have to be under 6'3

The way Grigson is building our offensive line, it could be that no player on the line will be under 6'6" in a few years.

Quite a break down Andy, thanks for putting in the work and effort.  I do have a question.  You have as a strength that he is quick out of his stance and then as a weakness that he lacks explosion out of his stance.  Those seem to be contradictory.

Quick out of his stance means that he jumps out of his stance with speed.

Explosion describes the impact he has when he blocks against his opponents. 

So in terms of the speed of getting out of his stance, he's very fast, but when he initially blocks a defender, there's isn't that "pouff" that you like to see.

You can keep thinking you make the rules on how tall an NFL center can be. You don't. Jared Veldheer played center at 6'8" a few years ago.

Obviously you haven't been paying attention, because if you had then you would notice that our entire offensive line is getting taller.

Never said he can't play center; I'm just saying having a center 6'6 and over means that he'll require more knee bend and a lower center of gravity, which is something that he has some trouble with (in terms of consistency). Go back several posts and you'll see I wrote that. 

I find it hilarious that someone on a fan forum would write a scouting report to begin with. Nevertheless get it wrong, say the player never played center before, and not know the player was an all-american center in high school.

What would your perspective be if someone else created this thread, and made those mistakes? How badly would a Colts beat writer get bashed on this board if he made those mistakes?

What you have created is a copy and paste report, and it is done every year in the NFL. One person says this or that about a player and it gets copied so much that it becomes biblical.

Have you actually scouted Mewhort? Have you watched him play in person? Did he work out for you? Did he run specific drills that you requested? Of course not. So this entire thread is not a scouting report. It is merely a fans opinion based on reading other websites that have also been copied and pasted. And let's be honest, that fan didn't have enough credibility to even know the player was a top recruited center in high school.

Again, I said he never played center in college, it's really getting annoying now.

To clarify on a couple of your points, this is all based on my opinion and all done because of my knowledge; I promise you I did not look anywhere else, and I'm offended you accuse me of that. I've done scouting before and I do it for the McGill Redmen on a part-time basis (as well as being a coach for them), so to say I'm this unknowledgeable fan is also an insult. No, he did not work out for me or have any private workouts, but he also didn't do that for anything you read online, so why take their opinion?

I'm done talking about this, you keep accusing me of things I didn't say. I'm saying this one last time:

- I don't think he's a day 1 center, but he could be down the line if the Colts want him to be.

- I think he has potential at center, but has a higher ceiling at guard

- Tall (6'6 and over) can play center, but they need to have great knee bend, which Mewhort does not (at least not with consistency), but that could be developed.

- I don't use high school as an indicator or competency for predicting NFL success. 

Feel free to respond, but I've made my point and I'm done arguing over these SILLY little things.

it's really getting annoying now.

I agree. And if you go back and check how this all transpired then you will see that your boy tknight played you.

You and I would not be having this debate, and probably be talking about your original post had he not told lies, brought my name up, and steered you into this battle with me.

In the end, you and I are probably saying a lot of the same things. Funny how this happens on message boards. 

I agree. And if you go back and check how this all transpired then you will see that your boy tknight played you.

You and I would not be having this debate, and probably be talking about your original post had he not told lies, brought my name up, and steered you into this battle with me.

In the end, you and I are probably saying a lot of the same things. Funny how this happens on message boards. 

Well... I can't control what he says, but what I say and feel come from my posts.

Quick out of his stance means that he jumps out of his stance with speed.

Explosion describes the impact he has when he blocks against his opponents.

So in terms of the speed of getting out of his stance, he's very fast, but when he initially blocks a defender, there's isn't that "pouff" that you like to see.

You could be correct. He could be quick out of his stance and then... do nothing.

Andy's report is similar to mine in quite a few ways. I watched the Northwestern game and I forget the other one... WVU maybe. Anyways the biggest thing I disagree with Andy is on balance. In the games I watched Mewhort displayed excellent balance, especially when pass blocking.

Yeah CoffeeDrinker, I think my post was pretty accurate to Andy's thoughts haha

Well... I can't control what he says, but what I say and feel come from my posts.

Read the first 4-5 posts over again and it will make sense. 

Nevertheless, I believe that message boards should be a place where fans can share their opinions with others. Sure there should be some debates than transpire from differences of opinions. I do feel that I have not given you that complete opportunity, and vice versa. This whole thing has snowballed into something that I despise on message boards. 

I believe we should reboot this conversation and actually talk about the original post. If you are on-board, then we both walk away with no harm done. Sound fair enough?

Read the first 4-5 posts over again and it will make sense. 

Nevertheless, I believe that message boards should be a place where fans can share their opinions with others. Sure there should be some debates than transpire from differences of opinions. I do feel that I have not given you that complete opportunity, and vice versa. This whole thing has snowballed into something that I despise on message boards. 

I believe we should reboot this conversation and actually talk about the original post. If you are on-board, then we both walk away with no harm done. Sound fair enough?

Sure, sounds fair. 

My Scouting Report on OL Jack Mewhort:

Jack Mewhort (6’6, 309)

Tapes Viewed

2013 (As Left Tackle)

• Ohio State vs. Michigan State

• Ohio State vs. Michigan

• Ohio State vs. Buffalo

• Ohio State vs. Clemson

• Ohio State vs. Wisconsin

2011 (As Right Guard)

• Ohio State vs. Penn State

Strengths

• He’s quick out of his stance

• Kick slides well

• Has great strength; strong base

• Has the speed and agility to be a pulling guard

Example (Screenshot):

Mewhort%20--%20Pulling%20Well.png

• Plays to the whistle

• Drives defenders away from the play in run blocking situations

• Good hand placement the majority of the time

Example (Screenshot):

Mewhort%20--%20Good%20Hand%20Placement.p

• Can handle himself against bigger (weight wise) opponents

Weaknesses

• Lacks explosion out of his stance

• Will occasionally stand too tall

Example (Screenshot):

Mewhort%20--%20Not%20Good%20Knee%20Bend.

Mewhort%20--%20Standing%20Too%20Tall.png

• Struggles with finesse/speed moves

• Inconsistent finishing skills

• Lacks great balance

• Inconsistent when it comes to getting to the 2nd level and sealing off LBs.

Example (Screenshot): First one is good, the last one is bad.

Mewhort%20--%20Sealing%20Off%20Defender.

Mewhort%20--%20Failing%20to%20Seal%20off

Summary

Mewhort is a capable offensive tackle and offensive guard from Ohio State. He's quick out of his stance and shows good footwork (kick sliding well and shadowing defenders). Mewhort has great size and strength (28 bench reps) and demonstrates, a good sized, strong base when in his blocking stance. Although not showcased often as a left tackle, Mewhort does have good speed and agility, and could be used as a pulling guard in the NFL. His hand placement is good as well and keeps it at a good level the vast majority of the time.

He must improve his consistency with a few different areas. His balance is not very good, and is often on the ground, either due to lunging too far forward or because he doesn't have a strong grip on his defender. He also lacks consistent knee bend, something that is crucial for a guard, and get more knee bend in order to be an effective guard in the NFL. He also struggles with finesse/speed moves as showcased in the Clemson (Orange Bowl) game as well as his plays vs #5 overall pick Khalil Mack. 

Mewhort has the traits of a good guard, but must fix some issues. He has the ability to start from Day 1 at guard, but it will take at least a year for him to fix up the majority of his issues, which suggests some inconsistencies in his rookie season.

NFL Comparison – Logan Mankins – Offensive Guard – New England Patriots

Ryan Grigson hit the nail on the head when he said, “When Logan Mankins was coming out, he's kind of a similar type guy to me. You thought, he's probably not a left tackle.” It’s the same thing with Mewhort, if he stayed at left tackle, he could probably make a living, but he has great potential as an offensive guard (and many people thought the same with Mankins). Mewhort and Mankins are around the same size and both were successful left tackles in college.

Fit in Colts’ Offense

Mewhort played his sophomore season as a left and right guard. With the Colts having two consistent, capable offensive tackles, Mewhort won't be needed as an offensive tackle, but rather, will be needed inside, where the Colts need a lot of help. Mewhort looked better as a right guard in his sophomore season, but can play either spot with ease. His fit with the Colts' offensive line would be as a guard, and could play either spot.

Despite the rest of the topic being a waste of nitpicking by Blue Shoe, I would like to say very nice job!

What games in particular did you see his problems with balance?  I went back and watched and I have found "some" issues yes, but most were contributed to his trouble with speed.  His power does at times seem a tad lacking but I think that comes soon with continual work with an NFL program.  

Another thing I'd like to point out is that I'm so glad you pointed out to his handling of "bigger" people.  I found that he not only didn't look intimidated but seemed to challenge them.  I love that type of confidence in an O-Lineman.  It makes me think he can be a great mauler one day.

I'm just glad we got some help in the trenches. Give me my big boys up front. As long as he has it between the ears as they are eluding to the physical stuff can be taught and improved.

Just give us a offensive line that'll give Andrew 3-4 seconds to pass. With the weapons we have, that's all he needs

And an offensive line who doesn't hit Andrew more than the defense does

That's all we need

Jason, what's your point here?

I'm talking about college, which is more relevant to Mewhort and his playing abilities now. Step 2; I was referring to his college days.

I find it hilarious that people are nitpicking me over that. Looks like I have to be more detailed, even though I made myself pretty clear with my statements. 

Anybody else want to nitpick me over that?

My point was very clear, but more info below.

He has never played center.

A lot of being a center is about being a leader and about being able to read defenses. Nothing from college indicates that he is either. If needed, he could probably come in and do a decent job, but it is not his best position.

He looks like a guard in the NFL and I think that's what the Colts drafted him for. 

this is the line that initially got you in trouble, and your refusal to admit a simple mistake has been what has dragged this out.  Yes, you indicate in your initial post which tapes you viewed, and yes in this response later on you said that nothing from college indicates he is either, but your first comment was very clear, cut and dry in black and white.  You said he HAS NEVER PLAYED CENTER, which is factually inaccurate and what caused this whole stir in the first place.

And as I said earlier, a simple google search would have told you that yes, he has played Center.  I would think that fact checking, proper wording and things of that nature would be common practice for an esteemed journalist (which you claim to be) and I would also think it would require a bit of a thicker skin and being open to a little constructive criticism...which in this case it wasn't even criticism but rather a minor correction.