Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Sam Reality Show Postponed....

NewColtsFan

....  so says OWN (Oprah Winfrey Network) and the people representing Michael Sam.

Story from NFL Network.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000351103/article/michael-sam-docuseries-postponed

I think all parties got the message people have been talking about for days....

This was a bad idea from Day One.     Anything that distracts from Sam trying to make the team is not in his best interest.      Period.

The more I read about him, the less I like him.

I love the irony in "I'm Michael Sam the football player, not the gay football player" and then goes out and will start (eventually) a reality show about the fact that he's the first gay player in the NFL.

Embrace it or reject it Michael, but you can't have both. 

If I may......

I'd like to suggest that everyone who has a problem with how Sam has handled this past week just lighten up on the kid....

Anyone remember who they were when they were 21 or 22 years old?    You were young and stupid.    I know I sure was!    I think almost by definition almost all 21 and 22 year old kids are dumb and stupid.   

How many of you living his life would've had the strength to turn down Oprah Winfrey and her network?    Really.    Seriously.

The correct answer is none of us.    None of us would've said no thanks to Oprah at that age.

So, after getting his brains beat in for the past few days everyone saw the light and figured things out and now this will go away.

If the kid is good, he's still got a shot to make the team.    And if not, he'll get cut and try out with another team.

By the way,  even before this documentary was announced Sam was a long shot.

Not only are the starting DE's for the Rams fantastic, but the back-ups are considered among the best back-ups in the league.

He's a long shot.    But he's not bad kid.    He's just a kid who made a mistake.   And now it's corrected.

You might want to consider cutting him a little slack........

Just some food for thought.........

The linked article gives the impression that the Rams and the NFL new nothing of the planned reality show until this week, basically when it went public.

That gives me the impression that the Rams probably went to him and discouraged the show, in which his gayness would be a theme of the show, rather than him and Oprah coming to their senses and rethinking the idea on their own. I suspect the Rams strongly discouraged it.

It may even be worse. He may, in fact, have come out KNOWING that he was a marginal football player and is just using the NFL as a starting point to becoming an openly gay pseudo celebrity.

Time will tell.

For me the message is clear this is & will always be a circus about the gay agenda & moving it forward .

100 %  A reality show ? WHY   is there any one out there that really believes this is about football , He is a gay man okay I get it .

Tim Tebow was a religious man who also had a dream of playing football & he was ridiculed for tebowing ..

Sam is now a media darling he will without a doubt make the team no matter how good he is . 

Moral of the story man on one knee is outta football .

Smart move though as has been pointed out, With some the damage is done. I do however think given a year on a teams PS if he does get cut and he gets a little stronger as well as develops a couple pass rush moves he could make a good rotational rush linebacker, Not that I would want him because of the potential for the media circus.Though Grigson and staff have not shown a penchant for wanting what could be a media circus around the team

For me the message is clear this is & will always be a circus about the gay agenda & moving it forward .

100 %  A reality show ? WHY   is there any one out there that really believes this is about football , He is a gay man okay I get it .

Tim Tebow was a religious man who also had a dream of playing football & he was ridiculed for tebowing ..

Sam is now a media darling he will without a doubt make the team no matter how good he is . 

Skip Bayless...is that you?

I agree with what you are saying, but just to further a thought...

While the comparison to Tebow will always take place, it is often misplaced. Tebow's fame came from the fact that he was a successful college quarterback for a perennially strong football program. He became more famous after the draft, a first rounder BTW, and by playing winning football with the Gators and the Broncos. Much of the humorous discussion involving Tebow was whether or not God was helping the Broncos win because of Tebow...ha ha.

Although Sam played DE for a Missouri team that was contending for the national championship, he was in relative obscurity compared to Tebow. He became famous only after the sociology issue came about. Also, he was a 7th round draft choice.

He generated his own fame by making the announcement.

Also, for years that I've watched football, many players before Tebow would make prayer gestures after scoring touchdowns, but Tebow became singled out for grandstanding.

Although the sociological issues are in many ways at the opposite ends of the spectrum, comparing Tebow to Sam is not really valid. At least not at this time. They are in two different situations in terms of football success generating their fame.

He's probably not going to make the Rams....so.....don't base any social theories or comparisons on that....

Lots of late draft choices get cut

I'm thinking he's less than 50-50 to stay with the team..

100 % A reality show ? WHY is there any one out there that really believes this is about football , He is a gay man okay I get it .

First, Timmy Tebow is out of football because he's an awful QB. End of that discussion.

Second, the reason Timmy was lambasted about his religion is because of all his zealot fans, who can't see how awful he is because he's religious. Plus he grandstands about his religion in the exact same way people are complaining about Sam grandstanding about his sexual preference.

Third, the only agenda you need to worry about is the heterosexual agenda. Those people are crazy.

First, Timmy Tebow is out of football because he's an awful QB. End of that discussion.

Second, the reason Timmy was lambasted about his religion is because of all his zealot fans, who can't see how awful he is because he's religious. Plus he grandstands about his religion in the exact same way people are complaining about Sam grandstanding about his sexual preference.

Third, the only agenda you need to worry about is the heterosexual agenda. Those people are crazy.

This is pretty close to what I was thinking. Sam and Tebow can't be compared quite yet. If Sam shows us he's not good enough for his job and starts invoking his homosexuality in every answer to every question he's asked...then we can compare the two. Right now they're just vaguely similar situations because they're both headliners because of non-football related issues.

Right decision on Sam's part. He better focus on making that team. With a loaded D-line for the Rams, I have my doubts that Sam makes it. If he does, he would have really earned it.

If he does not make it and is on waivers, another team would be hesitant to pick him up because of the entourage that they have to deal with, much like Tebow's albeit in a different manner like people have said above. That is the thought he has implanted in another team's minds with this reality TV show, IMO. If the other team has to choose between 2 equally talented guys between Sam and the other, they may not want the circus with a free agent they are picking off waivers.

Sooooooo ..............  you think MS was an innocent party and was BULL RUSHED into getting HIS own "reality show" ???

I think MS is way ahead of the game...    and is ALREADY set for life after football thanks to the good ole NFL, and ESPN.

....  so says OWN (Oprah Winfrey Network) and the people representing Michael Sam.

Story from NFL Network.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000351103/article/michael-sam-docuseries-postponed

I think all parties got the message people have been talking about for days....

This was a bad idea from Day One.     Anything that distracts from Sam trying to make the team is not in his best interest.      Period.

AD I love your posts.....  

SPOT ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"I" am personally sick of this PC world we live in now?     Tebow a  virus and Sam is a loved one?   Hmmmm?

I cannot have an opinion and voice it rationally without being labeled "racist" or intolerant. "

The media is systematically conditioning us ALL into a line of thought.   

It SUCKAZZZ

Wow...  dude has won a playoff game in the NFL.

So TT wears his heart on his sleeve...        and he has a following.    That loves him.  And he is a distraction.     A #1 draft pick and Heismen winner.

Bad comparison,   TT did it in the NFL ....      Sammy is still in the OWN office ....  wondering .....     oh whatever..

Michael Sam's following is going to be VERY interesting.          Does an NFL team want it?

Wow... dude has won a playoff game in the NFL.

So TT wears his heart on his sleeve... and he has a following. That loves him. And he is a distraction. A #1 draft pick and Heismen winner.

Bad comparison, TT did it in the NFL .... Sammy is still in the OWN office .... wondering ..... oh whatever..

Michael Sam's following is going to be VERY interesting. Does an NFL team want it?

How's the one playoff victory on an 8-8 season treating him now? He's terrible. Everyone knows it. He was a great college QB, but not in the pros.

Michael Sam is apparently wearing his sexuality on his sleeve and bringing with him followers that love him, and it's "causing a distraction." The NFL will want his following in the same way they wanted Timmy's.

Difference right now being that Michael Sam hasn't made a commercial to be played during the Super Bowl spouting his personal beliefs.

Just because Sam hasn't played in the NFL yet doesn't mean it's not very similar to Timmy Touchdown's situation. He had his religious baggage long before he took his first NFL snap.

Close in only ONE area...

Controversy, debate

That is it..     Tebow was a horrible throwing QB...  but he won games.          Sam is gay....     that will carry this as long as ESPN and the rest will take it.    And that includes sitting at home as a FA.

Which I GUARANTEE ,,,,   he and the OWN network are hoping for.

How's the one playoff victory on an 8-8 season treating him now? He's terrible. Everyone knows it. He was a great college QB, but not in the pros.

Michael Sam is apparently wearing his sexuality on his sleeve and bringing with him followers that love him, and it's "causing a distraction." The NFL will want his following in the same way they wanted Timmy's.

Difference right now being that Michael Sam hasn't made a commercial to be played during the Super Bowl spouting his personal beliefs.

Just because Sam hasn't played in the NFL yet doesn't mean it's not very similar to Timmy Touchdown's situation. He had his religious baggage long before he took his first NFL snap.

Close in only ONE area...

Controversy, debate

That is it.. Tebow was a horrible throwing QB... but he won games. Sam is gay.... that will carry this as long as ESPN and the rest will take it. And that includes sitting at home as a FA.

Which I GUARANTEE ,,,, he and the OWN network are hoping for.

Again. Michael Sam has yet to play so that argument doesn't apply. Tim had his baggage before he played too.

Controversy and debate would also be two areas, but semantics.

Fanatical following? Check.

Opinions and beliefs not everyone shares? Check.

Angry people? Check.

Questionable football ability? Check.

Being a spectical outside the sport? Check.

Probably won't last long in the NFL? Reasonable check.

More trouble then they're worth? Check.

Again. Michael Sam has yet to play so that argument doesn't apply. Tim had his baggage before he played too.

Controversy and debate would also be two areas, but semantics.

Fanatical following? Check.

Opinions and beliefs not everyone shares? Check.

Angry people? Check.

Questionable football ability? Check.

Being a spectical outside the sport? Check.

Probably won't last long in the NFL? Reasonable check.

More trouble then they're worth? Check.

My EXACT point....    Sam will not play in the NFL.   

He was a marketing gimmick,....   

And it worked.   

My EXACT point.... Sam will not play in the NFL.

He was a marketing gimmick,....

And it worked.

Your point, to my post at least, was that their scenarios were completely different. Which they aren't.

I also never said he would be a long lasting NFL player.

You also don't know how he will fare in the NFL until he plays. But he is no more a marketing gimmick than AJ Mccaron and his attempted reality series.

I agree with what you are saying, but just to further a thought...

While the comparison to Tebow will always take place, it is often misplaced. Tebow's fame came from the fact that he was a successful college quarterback for a perennially strong football program. He became more famous after the draft, a first rounder BTW, and by playing winning football with the Gators and the Broncos. Much of the humorous discussion involving Tebow was whether or not God was helping the Broncos win because of Tebow...ha ha.

Although Sam played DE for a Missouri team that was contending for the national championship, he was in relative obscurity compared to Tebow. He became famous only after the sociology issue came about. Also, he was a 7th round draft choice.

He generated his own fame by making the announcement.

Also, for years that I've watched football, many players before Tebow would make prayer gestures after scoring touchdowns, but Tebow became singled out for grandstanding.

Although the sociological issues are in many ways at the opposite ends of the spectrum, comparing Tebow to Sam is not really valid. At least not at this time. They are in two different situations in terms of football success generating their fame.

Point taken my comparison of the 2 players were obviously not based on skill , merely on bias to speak ill of Tebow was a common occurrance on most sports networks those same networks & announcers now applaud Sam for what ? Being the first gay NFL wannabe . Okay now can the 7'th rounder do something special on the field or is the kiss gonna be the only highlight .

Good trivia question did something Peyton Manning could not won a playoff victory his first year as a Bronco starting QB ..

Of course its all about the Benjamin's  ..

Its coming right after the reality show & world tour ..

Its very unsimilar IMO   Tim Tebow was drafted based on skill & the possibilty it could translate to the NFL - Sam was drafted to make a statement & the the rookies jersey's are flying off the shelves second only to johnny football . A marketing gimmick .

Good trivia question did something Peyton Manning could not won a playoff victory his first year as a Bronco starting QB ..

Of course its all about the Benjamin's ..

Its very unsimilar IMO Tim Tebow was drafted based on skill & the possibilty it could translate to the NFL - Sam was drafted to make a statement & the the rookies jersey's are flying off the shelves second only to johnny football . A marketing gimmick .

Lol. Tim Tebow in the first round based on skill.

Joke of the day.

Better trivia question might be "in their first year as Bronco QB's. What round did Tebow and Peyton advance to?"

It's almost identical to Michael Sam. My guess is you just prefer Tim's "baggage" instead of Sam's. But both are only talked about because off the field issues. If Timmy was Muslim. No one would care about him. He's just appealing to a large number of Americans who share his belief system. Nothing special about him as an NFL QB.

Sooooooo ..............  you think MS was an innocent party and was BULL RUSHED into getting HIS own "reality show" ???

I think MS is way ahead of the game...    and is ALREADY set for life after football thanks to the good ole NFL, and ESPN.

I think MS is young and got bad advice.    He took it.    When he saw the push back over a period of 4-5 days, I think he saw that he made a mistake and changed his mind.     At least,  that's what I hope happened.

I'm glad the Rams said "no."     I'm glad the NFL wanted nothing to do with it.

I'm glad OWN came to its senses.    I'm glad they figured out they were hurting him more than they were helping him.

I'm glad MS is no longer doing the show.    I'm assuming he agrees with the change of plans.    Who knows, maybe I'm wrong about that.

As I said in another post -- Sam was a long shot to make the Rams even before the talk about the show came out.  

If he's cut (which I think he probably will be) I hope he gets a chance with another team.   Lots of guys get tryouts with multiple teams.    But if Sam is going to make a team -- any team -- he's got to stay focused on football.    Everything else is a just a big distraction.

Tebow has nothing to do with this. Its amazing how the haters want to drag him into this discussion and compare the two individuals.

Sam was a nobody until HE decided that he wanted to be a barrier-breaker. A comparison to Jackie Robinson and baseball is more appropriate...except that Jackie Robinson was actually good.

Tebow has nothing to do with this. Its amazing how the haters want to drag him into this discussion and compare the two individuals.

Sam was a nobody until HE decided that he wanted to be a barrier-breaker. A comparison to Jackie Robinson and baseball is more appropriate...except that Jackie Robinson was actually good.

Funny how Timmy was only brought into this thread by someone bashing Sam and prasing Tim Tim.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, May 19, 2014 - inappropriate
Hidden by Nadine, May 19, 2014 - inappropriate

Dear Colt's forum users, please just copy and repaste:

Please no more Michael Sam threads in our community. We don't like him and think he's a self serving money hungry loser.

If I may......

I'd like to suggest that everyone who has a problem with how Sam has handled this past week just lighten up on the kid....

Anyone remember who they were when they were 21 or 22 years old? You were young and stupid. I know I sure was! I think almost by definition almost all 21 and 22 year old kids are dumb and stupid.

How many of you living his life would've had the strength to turn down Oprah Winfrey and her network? Really. Seriously.

The correct answer is none of us. None of us would've said no thanks to Oprah at that age.

So, after getting his brains beat in for the past few days everyone saw the light and figured things out and now this will go away.

If the kid is good, he's still got a shot to make the team. And if not, he'll get cut and try out with another team.

By the way, even before this documentary was announced Sam was a long shot.

Not only are the starting DE's for the Rams fantastic, but the back-ups are considered among the best back-ups in the league.

He's a long shot. But he's not bad kid. He's just a kid who made a mistake. And now it's corrected.

You might want to consider cutting him a little slack........

Just some food for thought.........

Just an FYI. I'm pretty sure he's 24.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, May 19, 2014 - political
Hidden by Nadine, May 19, 2014 - political

Of course its all about the Benjamin's  ..

Its very unsimilar IMO   Tim Tebow was drafted based on skill & the possibilty it could translate to the NFL - Sam was drafted to make a statement & the the rookies jersey's are flying off the shelves second only to johnny football . A marketing gimmick .

SPOT ON! I already mentioned this on a previous thread and i got SILENCED quick. I bet the farm, you'll soon be seeing Hollyweird folks' sportin' his jersey to promote the gay agenda. This will take an ED WOOD type of strange path, i'm sure. Fingers crossed there's no angora sweaters involved or bad TV.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, May 19, 2014 - quoted removed post
Hidden by Nadine, May 19, 2014 - quoted removed post

Please no more Michael Sam threads in our community. We don't like him and think he's a self serving money hungry loser.

Which is what a lot of famous people actually are to be honest......gay or straight.

And I still don't blame a lot of this attention on Michael Sam as much as I do as the rabid homosexual exploitation camp in our society.

Lol. Tim Tebow in the first round based on skill.

Joke of the day.

Better trivia question might be "in their first year as Bronco QB's. What round did Tebow and Peyton advance to?"

It's almost identical to Michael Sam. My guess is you just prefer Tim's "baggage" instead of Sam's. But both are only talked about because off the field issues. If Timmy was Muslim. No one would care about him. He's just appealing to a large number of Americans who share his belief system. Nothing special about him as an NFL QB.

This is a good post.

The truth is yes.....people liked Tebow's baggage more since it was familiar to them. Being gay in the macho NFL world is not as chic to many men.

I am a straight female and I honestly find a lot of this to be LOL worthy lately. I have seen my own parents (and I love them)  have fits over this situation too. I mean they even said out loud "CHILDREN ARE WATCHING" in reaction to his smooch feast with his boyfriend. Yeah like children are not watching the sexually suggestive music vides and movies and commercials parading around too and especially in an age with so much internet use? lmao

It's ironic to me that America often uses sex to sell......a lot of things. And an NFL player comes out as gay and people can be against it.

People just are not completely as comfortable with gays yet as they would like to think they are. Especially in sports.

JMO