Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mathis suspended first 4 games of 2014.

MacDee1975

I'm * that the commissioner wont even look at his medical records and consider the fact that he was doing it to have children.

IT IS A BANNED SUBSTANCE there is no one to blame here but Mathis I don't get how you don't understand that. IF you broke the number 1 rule of your job and then claimed ignorance what would happen?

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just like JMV said on the radio today.  This is going to change how people perceive Robert Mathis' legacy.  Something like this does irreparable damage.  I still am pinching myself.  Too many questions, not enough answers:

1) why did he not check it out with the trainers/doctor staff with the Colts.  The Colts even have a nutritionist. 

2) why not run it by the NFL's testing / anti-doping department?

3) why have they not released the name of the drug?

4) Why are the Colts not saying very much?

Look, I trust what Robert says and I believe him as should the world.  But, man, why this cat has to go through this and have this happen, I just don't know.  He is our defensive horse.  Just don't see us winning many games in first four weeks.

1) Mathis said he should have cleared it with the NFL, which would cover anything the trainer/docters would have said

2) See #1.

3) See Dustin's response at 9:40pm, response #253.

4) NFLPA confidentiality.  Player can say what he wants because it's his business.  If the NFLPA or NFL says anything about what Mathis tested postiive for, it's their behind.

Bottom line: the questions you are askign aren't indicative of anything Mathis is doing wrong.  Mathis made a mistake - and that mistake is not clearing it with the NFL.  Maybe he is lying about it.  But it takes an assumption on your part, a very large assumption.  Given the type of drug he was using and the reason for it, I will take his word for it absent any other evidence.  It won't clear him and it certainly won't absolve him of his suspension.  Mathis has been in the league for a decade without incident to my knowledge.  I hardly doubt at the twilight of his career he all the sudden risked his reputation.  I hate that he's being suspended, but unfortunately, that's the rules...for better or worse.  I wished he had done things differently.  But in the grand scheme of things, if it allows him and his wife to have a child, that's more important.  I'll take that suspension over something like what Josh Gordon did.  Sucks for us Colts fans, but I will give Mathis the benefit of the doubt.  If it turns out he was lying...different story.  But more facts are needed for that, and I'm not going to assume differently.

My theory is that Mathis knew this might happen but the doctor told him it was his best shot at getting his wife pregnant so he rolled the dice.  Very bummed this happened, but I'm not going to fault the guy for putting his family ahead of his job.

How on earth is this Mathis putting his family before his job? Asking to try the drug being denied and then doing it yes maybe is Mathis putting his family before his job. Taking a banned substance is either very stupid or he is trying to cover his butt. This has nothing to do with him putting his family over his job. That is ridiculous

How on earth is this Mathis putting his family before his job? Asking to try the drug being denied and then doing it yes maybe is Mathis putting his family before his job. Taking a banned substance is either very stupid or he is trying to cover his butt. This has nothing to do with him putting his family over his job. That is ridiculous

He was taking the drug to try to conceive a child with his wife.  It worked and they had twins.  That's putting family before job.

1) Mathis said he should have cleared it with the NFL, which would cover anything the trainer/docters would have said

2) See #1.

4) NFLPA confidentiality.  Player can say what he wants because it's his business.  If the NFLPA or NFL says anything about what Mathis tested postiive for, it's their behind.

Bottom line: the questions you are askign aren't indicative of anything Mathis is doing wrong.  Mathis made a mistake.  And maybe he is lying about it.  But it takes an assumption on your part, a very large assumption.  Mathis has been in the league for a decade without incident to my knowledge.  I hardly doubt at the twilight of his career he all the sudden risked his reputation.  It's happened before, but like I said, without hard proof, it takes a large assumption on your end.

It's usually a player in the twilight of a career or when a player is a fringe player that they try to skirt the rules. 

IT IS A BANNED SUBSTANCE there is no one to blame here but Mathis I don't get how you don't understand that. IF you broke the number 1 rule of your job and then claimed ignorance what would happen?

Yeah! I got it and its not even approved by the FDA for fertility, but I still support Mathis

It's usually a player in the twilight of a career or when a player is a fringe player that they try to skirt the rules. 

Key word "usually."  Usually blacks get arrested and put in jail more than whites...that doesn't mean a white person is less likely to commit a crime.

He was taking the drug to try to conceive a child with his wife.  It worked and they had twins.  That's putting family before job.

I am guessing 98 is the year you were born to believe that is all that happened here. It is his job to make sure he does not take a banned substance. IF the DR recommended it and Mathis appealed to the league to use it and the league denied his appeal then maybe that holds water. None of that happened

He took a banned substance he is suspended for 4 games

Yeah! I got it and its not even approved by the FDA for fertility, but I still support Mathis

I think we all support Mathis I know I do but there is more to this. He is not that dumb or he doesn't care about the team or his teammates his fans etc.

It is messed up but we will rally and overcome it I promise some guys will step up and we will handle our business Mathis back in 4 weeks fresh legs ready to go

does this mean 0 and 4 to start the season?

come on really it's not Luck we will go 4-0 just for Mathis. Pagano brings pressure in Mannings face we beat Denver gotta stop Shady he is the head of the snake in Philly no worries guys

we may just find us a new star in the first 4 weeks we have over 3 months to fix it silver lining it happened in May

I am guessing 98 is the year you were born to believe that is all that happened here. It is his job to make sure he does not take a banned substance. IF the DR recommended it and Mathis appealed to the league to use it and the league denied his appeal then maybe that holds water. None of that happened

He took a banned substance he is suspended for 4 games

Yes, he took a banned substance.  And for that, there's no defending his suspension.  We know that.  Mathis knows that.  But what's really at stake is Mathis' reputation.  It's an indefensible position to defend a guy who is using steriods or some other PED for the sole purpose of performing better than anyone else on the field.  If it turns out Mathis did that, then no one would support him. 

But if we take Mathis' word as true, how can any Colts fan say he deserves a suspension?  There's a big difference, IMO, between a guy who earns a suspension, and a guy who deserves it.  Mathis earned a suspension by using a banned substance and not first asking permission.  That much is true.  But does he deserve a suspension for using said substance for trying to have another kid?  Of course not. 

Yes, he took a banned substance.  And for that, there's no defending his suspension.  We know that.  Mathis knows that.  But what's really at stake is Mathis' reputation.  It's an indefensible position to defend a guy who is using steriods or some other PED for the sole purpose of performing better than anyone else on the field.  If it turns out Mathis did that, then no one would support him.

But if we take Mathis' word as true, how can any Colts fan say he deserves a suspension?  There's a big difference, IMO, between a guy who earns a suspension, and a guy who deserves it.  Mathis earned a suspension by using a banned substance and not first asking permission.  That much is true.  But does he deserve a suspension for using said substance for trying to have another kid?  Of course not. 

The fact that Barry Bonds still has his supporters means that there still would be some that would support Mathis, but I certainly wouldn't be one of them.  I still think Mathis knew he was taking a risk taking the drug, but it was worth it to him to have a chance at having a kid.  It's completely ridiculous that Goddell doesn't take things like that into consideration, but most of what Goddell does seems crazy to me.  Like you, I hope that this doesn't tarnish Mathis' reputation.  He's always seemed like a stand up guy and he's a guy I'm proud to cheer for.

Yes, he took a banned substance.  And for that, there's no defending his suspension.  We know that.  Mathis knows that.  But what's really at stake is Mathis' reputation.  It's an indefensible position to defend a guy who is using steriods or some other PED for the sole purpose of performing better than anyone else on the field.  If it turns out Mathis did that, then no one would support him. 

Look I love Robert Mathis he is one of my favorite Colts. There are rules in every job some bigger than others Mathis broke the biggest.  All he had to do was pull a phone out of his pocket. I have a hard time with the story yes but if you break the rules there are consequences that is life. It seems like something that someone as smart as Mathis should have been able to handle.

How can you say he does not deserve to be suspended for breaking a rule that clearly states you will be suspended for 4 games if you break that rule? It is his responsibility to make sure he is following the rules The colts pay him a lot of money to do just that and provide resources for him to follow those rules. A simple phone call this does not happen.

The fact that Barry Bonds still has his supporters means that there still would be some that would support Mathis, but I certainly wouldn't be one of them.  I still think Mathis knew he was taking a risk taking the drug, but it was worth it to him to have a chance at having a kid.  It's completely ridiculous that Goddell doesn't take things like that into consideration, but most of what Goddell does seems crazy to me.  Like you, I hope that this doesn't tarnish Mathis' reputation.  He's always seemed like a stand up guy and he's a guy I'm proud to cheer for.

You guys are nuts he broke a rule that is very clear. He has been doing this long enough to know the rules and know exactly how to find out what he can take and can't. You are acting like he asked permission and and they said no and he decided his family was more important.

I am done and so is he for 4 games

It stinks but you guys there is a thing called personal responsibility. It was Robert's job his job to make sure he was not breaking a rule that would result in him being suspended for 4 games. This stinks I agree with that but this is not the commissi

If he had said hey I want to give this drug a shot to try and have kids and the commish said no then it would be choosing

family over football. That is not what happened he did not check on a drug I really have a hard time believing he would not at least think man is this cool and not make sure before taking it.

Mathis took a pill that is on the banned list I find it hard to believe he is not smarter than that but I love Robert Mathis and I will believe his story until someone proves otherwise.

If you want to be upset with someone be upset with Mathis. Think about your job whatever it is think about the number one thing you are not allowed to do..... you do it and say oh I didn't realize it c'mon. Don't see how anyone can blame Goodell for enforcing the rules the players agreed too and get paid a lot of money to adhere to.   

It's not that he's enforcing the rules, it's that he enforces them with what seems to be such a heavy hand the great majority of the time with no sense for mercy or compassion.  .Obviously Robert broke one of the leagues 10,000 rules on PEDs and he holds accountability, but I want to know is there no mercy in this case especially after you have been presented evidence by Mathis and the league that he had no intent to enhance his performance on the field? 

You sure about that? This had to be his second violation to get suspended.

From the NFL steroids policy-

"The first time a player violates this Policy by testing positive; attempting

to substitute, dilute or adulterate a specimen; manipulating a test result; or by
violation of law (seeSection 5), he will be suspended without pay for a minimum
of four regular and/or postseason games."

A man with testosterone levels low enough to warrant medication would not be able to keep a muscular physique like Mathis. Levels have to be pretty low (below 300 ng/dl) before doctors will prescribe medication. Men Mathis' age should be in the range of 500+ng/dl. An elite athlete would be way more than that.

Also, a man with below 300 ng/dl of testosterone could barely function much less play NFL football.

not true at all. We're talking about low sperm counts. Youre talking completely extreme. A man with low sperms counts can still build muscle and perform athletically.

2) See #1.

Bottom line: the questions you are askign aren't indicative of anything Mathis is doing wrong.  Mathis made a mistake - and that mistake is not clearing it with the NFL.  Maybe he is lying about it.  But it takes an assumption on your part, a very large assumption.  Given the type of drug he was using and the reason for it, I will take his word for it absent any other evidence.  It won't clear him and it certainly won't absolve him of his suspension.  Mathis has been in the league for a decade without incident to my knowledge.  I hardly doubt at the twilight of his career he all the sudden risked his reputation.  I hate that he's being suspended, but unfortunately, that's the rules...for better or worse.  I wished he had done things differently.  But in the grand scheme of things, if it allows him and his wife to have a child, that's more important.  I'll take that suspension over something like what Josh Gordon did.  Sucks for us Colts fans, but I will give Mathis the benefit of the doubt.  If it turns out he was lying...different story.  But more facts are needed for that, and I'm not going to assume differently.

Some people here believes Mathis' explanation.     I think that's fine.

Some people here don't believe it.    And I think that's fine too.

But the bottom line -- and Mathis himself noted this in his explanation -- this would not have happened if he had simply done what all players are told to do.    He could've checked with the Colts.    He could've checked with the NFLPA.     Or he could've checked with the NFL.     If he had done any of those three things,  Robert would not be suspended and we would not be having this conversation.

Bottom line:   It's Robert's fault and he himself admits that.     I don't blame people for being mad and angry,  but none of this would've happened if Robert had simply done what all players know to do.   Double check.

I'm just sayin.....

Doesn't it take at least 10 days on the dot from intercourse to the time you can detect a pregnancy? That sounds fishy he took for just ten days doesn't really change anything.

It is a great excuse for violating the leagues substance abuse policy but the fact is he violated the policy got caught and has to pay the price. If the story is true than it is really unfortunate but you would think if you knew you were taking something to produce more man power you would check especially if you have been in the league as long as Mathis.

Colts will be fine as for Manning he hates the pocket being pushed up in his face we needed to get push in the middle. Which is right where I think team are going to try to come at Denver this year Moreno was the blitz pick up back I really think they are going to miss him.

Philly is really a running team that is Chips game if we can't stop Shady Mathis wouldn't matter anyway. I personally think we will be fine for 4 games. I think the D is ready to turn the corner this stinks but we can overcome it that what we do we are the COLTS.

The testing system really needs to be looked at in my opinion

If you want to believe Mathis, it's plausible to think he took the drug during the period before and after his wife was ovulating. Then he stopped and they knew she was pregnant prior to doing it again.

He deserves to be suspended but I understand why he took the risk to keep private matters private.

If you want to believe Mathis, it's plausible to think he took the drug during the period before and after his wife was ovulating. Then he stopped and they knew she was pregnant prior to doing it again.

He deserves to be suspended but I understand why he took the risk to keep private matters private

His story has as many holes as a piece of swiss cheese if you really look at it objectively. I don't care Love Mathis always will always have The Colts will be fine and he will have 4 less game on those legs come playoffs we might get really lucky and have someone break out on top of it,

No question he earned the suspension not the commish's fault that is silly

His story has as many holes as a piece of swiss cheese if you really look at it objectively. I don't care Love Mathis always will always have The Colts will be fine and he will have 4 less game on those legs come playoffs we might get really lucky and have someone break out on top of it,

Regardless of reason, he earned the suspension. I stated earlier, PED use doesn't bother me in general. Going to great lengths and lying to cover it up does. I'll, maybe naively, give RM the benefit of doubt because he may be a lot of things but I do think one of those includes a certain level of integrity.

Yeah, DEs in their 30s don't get better naturally. It was pretty apparent last season.

Oh, well, just the first time.

The thing that helped Mathis was moving from RE to OLB. It gave him more freedom... and a good player became much better.

Richard Sherman can probably give him advise on how to get it overturned.

Sherman won his appeal because the guy administering the drug test screwed up the collection process that is in place to protect players from a false positive. In this case Mathis has admitted to taking a banned substance so there's no basis for winning an appeal. The reason for taking a banned substance is considered irrelevant because an NFL player is held responsible by the league for what goes into his body.

do you mind highlighting these holes you speak of?

Yeah, DEs in their 30s don't get better naturally. It was pretty apparent last season.

Oh, well, just the first time.

if he didn't start taking it til Nov, near the end of the season, then how do you explain everything before that?

An unfortunate circumstance - hopefully the NFLPA works with the league to better define and strengthen the testing standards such that steroids related use is eliminated. Unlike MLB, where the end result of steroids use is bat on ball, cheating by performance enhancing drugs in the NFL represents a physical risk to the other players on the field. 

Stronger standards and testing programs equal better on-field safety. It is as simple as that.

Yep, the Eagles are world beaters.

They won their division. Same as Colts and have an explosive O. A winnable game for sure but those first two out of the gate are brutal. Would be better to have Mathis for sure but a tough one anyways ....

From the NFL steroids policy-

"The first time a player violates this Policy by testing positive; attempting

to substitute, dilute or adulterate a specimen; manipulating a test result; or by
violation of law (seeSection 5), he will be suspended without pay for a minimum
of four regular and/or postseason games."

I caught it later in the thread. I was reading from the drug policy not realizing they were different

They won their division. Same as Colts and have an explosive O. A winnable game for sure but those first two out of the gate are brutal. Would be better to have Mathis for sure but a tough one anyways ....

Winning the NFC East isn't exactly an accomplishment.........

Some people here believes Mathis' explanation. I think that's fine.

Some people here don't believe it. And I think that's fine too.

But the bottom line -- and Mathis himself noted this in his explanation -- this would not have happened if he had simply done what all players are told to do. He could've checked with the Colts. He could've checked with the NFLPA. Or he could've checked with the NFL. If he had done any of those three things, Robert would not be suspended and we would not be having this conversation.

Bottom line: It's Robert's fault and he himself admits that. I don't blame people for being mad and angry, but none of this would've happened if Robert had simply done what all players know to do. Double check.

I'm just sayin.....

i agree completely.

not true at all. We're talking about low sperm counts. Youre talking completely extreme. A man with low sperms counts can still build muscle and perform athletically.

If you read his statement, his doctor told him to take the Clomid because his wife had a health issue that wouldn't allow her to take it.  That does not scream low sperm count to me if his wife was supposed to take the Clomid but couldn't.  Plus, that doctor isn't even a fertility specialist.   

You guys are nuts he broke a rule that is very clear. He has been doing this long enough to know the rules and know exactly how to find out what he can take and can't. You are acting like he asked permission and and they said no and he decided his family was more important.

I am done and so is he for 4 games

You seem to be acting like there is no gray area here.  Yes it was Mathis' responsibility to to check with the NFL or NFLPA, but there is a difference between taking a drug to mask PEDs and taking a drug to help have a baby.  I think he needs to be suspended, but to treat him the same way you would a player that was taking a drug to increase performance is going overboard.  No tolerance policies are for the intellectually lazy, each case should be looked at separately and judged on its own merits.  It is this type of decision by Goodell that have the players so upset with him.  All this does is create ill will on the players side and has a negative impact on the relationship between the NFL and NFLPA and for what, so the NFL doesn't actually have to think about their decisions they make with regard to Clomid?  Very short sighted.