Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Todd McShay 2015 Mock Draft

The reason analysts don't realize how much we've invested is because Thornton and Holmes have yet to prove themselves.

From the outside looking in,  they're at best unproven, or at worst, possible busts.    You know,  what a fair number of people on this very website also believe.  

We've had very, very poor line play in Luck's first two years.....    if and when the line shows it's at least average, of not better than average,  THEN our o-line will get more respect and recognition from everyone....

Yeah but need is usually when you don't have someone in place at all, or whoever is in place has PS level skills. They're unproven but all have tremendous upside. Higher rounds don't always equal better value, but we have some fairly high picks invested in our guys.

I was rewatching the Seattle game the other day, looking for a few things in particular. A stat was shown that I found quite surprising: The Colts were averaging 150 rushing yards/game through the first 4 games of the season. Yeah.

Against the Raiders, 127 yards. Dolphins, 133 yards. Niners, 184 yards. Jags, 157 yards. And then we gained 109 on the Seahawks (a very well-earned 109 yards, by the way). 

That's with Donald Thomas going out early against Miami, Satele being injured a couple games, McGlynn kicking in at C, Thornton at LG, etc. Basically a makeshift offensive line in the first quarter of the season, and we still had a very productive rushing attack.

We got rid of Satele and McGlynn, easily the worst C/RG tandem in the league. It will not be hard for even inexperienced youngsters to play better than them. Our offensive line can take a big step forward if we get this right. I think there's lots of room for optimism.

Exactly. These guys are reasons to be excited. The OL is young, and although inexperienced, has a lot of potential. There's no reason to draft a O-lineman early again. Let these guys grow and build cohesiveness with each other.

Why is it Mewhort is projected inside?
 As a LT in college why do they think he Needs to go inside and Not be a RT?

The answer is obvious of course.

Is he Link, less a few lbs? Feet that slow or slower? Some here often spoke up for Link.
 Did Thornton EVER pick up a stunt? Knock anyone off the line? He hasn`t proven anything yet.

We may choose to draft a future LT if Castonzo doesn`t improve as a pass blocker.

i THINK our line will be decent by mid-season, it would be hard to be worse.

Holmes will be our best by seasons end.

I always laugh at these stupid mocks this early. He is saying the Jets not only got worse, but a lot worse. Same with the Rams.

You'll have to count me as someone who thinks the Jets crumble in 2014.  

Rex Ryan is a terrible coach when it comes to discipline and they just brought in Mike Vick and Chris Johnson.  

The Jets have had this problem before because Rex Ryan doesn't believe in discipline and I think they have this problem again.

Rex Ryan is a terrible coach when it comes to discipline and they just brought in Mike Vick and Chris Johnson.  

The Jets have had this problem before because Rex Ryan doesn't believe in discipline and I think they have this problem again.

You're basing a crumble off of a backup and a part time player? Mike Vick isn't going to play and Chris Johnson might not start. They signed Decker, Jacoby ford, Chris Johnson and had a pretty nice draft. 

While I am not really a Geno Smith fan, his last 4 games showed improvement. They might not be better than 8-8, but are they 4-12? With even the smallest improvement of Geno Smith, I doubt it. You've got to remember, Decker, Ford and Amaro is a gigantic upgrade on what smith had last year. His best WR was Kellen Winslow, who is out of the league now. 

You're basing a crumble off of a backup and a part time player? Mike Vick isn't going to play and Chris Johnson might not start. They signed Decker, Jacoby ford, Chris Johnson and had a pretty nice draft. 

While I am not really a Geno Smith fan, his last 4 games showed improvement. They might not be better than 8-8, but are they 4-12? With even the smallest improvement of Geno Smith, I doubt it. You've got to remember, Decker, Ford and Amaro is a gigantic upgrade on what smith had last year. His best WR was Kellen Winslow, who is out of the league now. 

Oh I agree they upgraded their talent.  But I look at the locker room situation and I think . . . that's going to be a mess.  

Some teams fail IMO because their locker room situation is a mess.  The lions are another good example, they have a lot of talent on that team but can't seem to go very far with it.  

• 2 months later...

If this were the draft, and the Vikings got Ifo Ekpre-Olomu...they'd have a great pair of very young CB's that could become one of the best for a long time with Xavier Rhodes.

However, if the Raiders get the #1 pick, they'd be stupid not to take Mariota...this kid is the real deal..and he's added 10 pounds from last year (6'4 now 224)

The best pass rusher available please. 

If Randy Gregory from Nebraska is still there, we should take him. He is actually from the Indianapolis area to boot! 

I would look at Henry Anderson from Stanford in the 2nd round!

An offensive lineman does not make sense early, but I would definitely take a look on day 3. I actually like how Harrison has been looking at center. 

1. Oakland Raiders - Leonard Williams, DL, USC
  2. Cleveland Browns - Amari Cooper, WR, Alabama
  3. Jacksonville Jaguars - Cedric Ogbuehi, OL, Texas A&M
  4. Washington Redskins - Dante Fowler Jr, DE, Florida
  5. New York Jets - Jameis Winston, QB, Florida State
  6. Minnesota Vikings - Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, CB, Oregon
  7. St. Louis Rams - Brandon Scherff, OT, Iowa
  8. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Marcus Mariota, QB, Oregon
  9. Miami Dolphins - Mario Edwards Jr, DE, Florida State
  10. Cleveland Browns (from Buffalo) - Landon Collins, S, Alabama
  11. Dallas Cowboys - Nelson Agholor, WR, USC
  12. Atlanta Falcons - Shilique Calhoun, DE/OLB, Michigan State
  13. Detroit Lions - PJ Williams, CB, Florida State
  14. Kansas City Chiefs - Rashad Greene, WR, Florida State
  15. Houston Texans - Bryce Petty, QB, Baylor
  16. Tennessee Titans - Brett Hundley, QB, UCLA
  17. Baltimore Ravens - Cameron Erving, OT, Florida State
  18. Chicago Bears - Hroniss Grasu, C, Oregon
  19. Carolina Panthers - Andrus Peat, OT, Stanford,
  20. Arizona Cardinals - Vic Beasley, DE/OLB, Clemson
  21. Pittsburgh Steelers - Jalen Mills, CB, LSU
  22. Cincinnati Bengals - Corey Robinson, OT, South Carolina
  23. New York Giants - Ramik Wilson, LB, Georgia
  24. San Diego Chargers - Jaelen Strong, WR, Arizona State
  25. San Francisco 49ers - Devonte Fields, DE/OLB, TCU
  26. Indianapolis Colts - Tre’ Jackson, G, Florida State
  27. Philadelphia Eagles - Benardrick McKinney, ILB, Mississippi State
  28. New England Patriots - Randy Gregory, DE, Nebraska
  29. Green Bay Packers - Eric Striker, LB, Oklahoma
  30. Seattle Seahawks - Todd Gurley, RB, Georgia
  31. New Orleans Saints - Shane Ray, DE/OLB, Missouri
  32. Denver Broncos - Michael Bennett, DT, Ohio State

Don't see how another guard makes sense. 

You kick Mewhort out to RT his more natural position where he is a cheaper upgrade to Cherilus. I read that was our long term plan with Mewhort and after watching him try to pull this preseason I don't think he plays G forever. Jackson is considered one of the top G's in the country our O Line will be complete. 

I would hope that we take the best player if that is  one of the best G prospects than there you go. The O Line is still a piece or two away. The main thing is going best available player so O Line, Pass Rushing OLB, S, DL .The only place I wouldn't look is QB TE or RB all other spots are under consideration.  We have all our picks we should be able to take care of some business next year move around a little if Grig's has a mind too.  

Just don't do something silly for Boone please

Obviously we'll have to see how this year pans out for both the Colts and the college prospects before we can start speculating with any accuracy. However the key areas where I'd be most interesting with regards to scouting going into the season are:

Pass rushers. Who is going to be the primary threat after Mathis retires? Even if someone on the roster emerges 2 guys are always better than 1.

Secondary. We're thin at CB2 behind injury-prone Toler and at FS, I'd be looking for a ball-hawking FS or a CB with at least the size/speed of Davis.

O-linemen. I'd be thinking of going for an athletic versatile O-lineman who could man both G/T as we need depth in the immediate future and Cherlius will be really expensive by 2016.

• 1 month later...

Thomas (G) will be gone at the end of the year. Harrison will be our ©.  The kid is getting good.  Mewhort is going to be solid. Thornton, Holmes, Shipley good for the other (G)...Might want to begin to consider a Right Tackle...(Houston's strength is DL-DE) but i don't believe we would pass on Gregory. He seems like a "Colts" player.  That being said... I think we are good at many of our positions barring injury.  I would not be upset if we traded 2015 RD1 for 2016 RD1...Then we could truly find Wayne's understudy, Mathis understudy, etc... DT looks good with Kerr, Hughes, RJF, Redding, etc...

1. TRADE 2016

2. SS...(Dirty 30-L.Landry just not working) or RT

1. Joey Bosa (DE)

1. Laquon Treadwell or Sammy Coates (#1 WR)

Who Dey Next...

huh?    Running up the gut, and protecting AL does not make sense?   Take a peak at the games again from last season.  

Just saying....  the interior OL was a disaster.   

This team is VERY close to being really good on O.     The ONLY thing holding them up is ;the interior line.  

I would draft OL and or DL every year top 2.      As long as AL is the QB of course.

I agree with this completely.  You have to keep investing to get a dominant unit.  This years OL prospects look really bad.  The only player I would take in the first round is Brandon Scherff RT, but he will be gone much sooner.  A first round talent level RT to replace Cherilus would seem to be a smart move.  Unfortunately,  there isn't going to be anyone special late in the first.  I'm not sold on Mewhort as a tackle.  Can he handle edge speed?  The guard I like the most so far is Laken Tomlinson out of Duke.  He could be available in the bottom of the second, and that would be a steal.    IF Mewhort does kick out to tackle, Tomlinson is athletic enough to play left guard.  Also, not one center prospect looks remotely promising.  Scherff and Tomlinson are my only favorites.

Since we play a 3-4, does it make sense to draft DL high?  The linebackers are the playmakers, the DL are just run stuffers.  You can get those third and lower.

I was rewatching the Seattle game the other day, looking for a few things in particular. A stat was shown that I found quite surprising: The Colts were averaging 150 rushing yards/game through the first 4 games of the season. Yeah.

Against the Raiders, 127 yards. Dolphins, 133 yards. Niners, 184 yards. Jags, 157 yards. And then we gained 109 on the Seahawks (a very well-earned 109 yards, by the way). 

That's with Donald Thomas going out early against Miami, Satele being injured a couple games, McGlynn kicking in at C, Thornton at LG, etc. Basically a makeshift offensive line in the first quarter of the season, and we still had a very productive rushing attack.

We got rid of Satele and McGlynn, easily the worst C/RG tandem in the league. It will not be hard for even inexperienced youngsters to play better than them. Our offensive line can take a big step forward if we get this right. I think there's lots of room for optimism.

A little deceiving I think. One game was Jacksonville and in the first two games (Oak and Miami) Luck had just shy of 40 in both. Going by  memory , other then the SF game , trying to rely on the running game was a disaster. 

I agree with this completely.  You have to keep investing to get a dominant unit.  This years OL prospects look really bad.  The only player I would take in the first round is Brandon Scherff RT, but he will be gone much sooner.  A first round talent level RT to replace Cherilus would seem to be a smart move.  Unfortunately,  there isn't going to be anyone special late in the first.  I'm not sold on Mewhort as a tackle.  Can he handle edge speed?  The guard I like the most so far is Laken Tomlinson out of Duke.  He could be available in the bottom of the second, and that would be a steal.    IF Mewhort does kick out to tackle, Tomlinson is athletic enough to play left guard.  Also, not one center prospect looks remotely promising.  Scherff and Tomlinson are my only favorites.

Since we play a 3-4, does it make sense to draft DL high?  The linebackers are the playmakers, the DL are just run stuffers.  You can get those third and lower.

I think Mewhort has played G at such a high level I'd rather just let him be a beast at that rather than trying to mess with it. I do agree we need a long term solution at OT whether it's Mewhort or someone else. Cherilus does us good for the short term, but I don't think he'll see the end of his contract unless he plays extremely well.

Colbert_3741.jpg

I would like us to pick up one of these guys in this order who ever is left on the board?

Gurley-Ga RB

Gregory- DE/OLB (in our scheme, who also reminds me of Dunlap w/ Cincy) Neb

Collins- Bama Safety

Gordon- WI RB (reminds me of Jamal Charles)

And what happens if none of those guys are available when we pick?     Because that's what I anticipate.    They'll all be gone....

And what happens if none of those guys are available when we pick?     Because that's what I anticipate.    They'll all be gone....

I think we need that homerun hitting back. You also got Duke Johnson from Miami (If he declares to come out early). You also got Ameer Abdullah who's also a beast. By I think you can also get these guys in the 2nd round. Depending on who comes off and in what order. But if these guys are gone I think we need to hit any position on defense. Who ever the best player is on the board I guess.

Duuuukkkkeeeeeeee. He can be our version of Cincy's Giovani Bernard. Same exact back, with speed and vision. Duke's just a few inches taller I think. Duke is also an excellent returner in both PR/KR. If he comes out early. Someone might try and steal him towards the end of of 1st round IMO. 

After Todd Gurley, its a toss up on which RB's get drafted first. Basically be preference for the team. Because Duke has better vision and quickness than Gordon (Wisonsin) and Yeldon (Bama). 

• 2 weeks later...

Tevin Colman is just as good as Gordon or Gurley..      He has carried Indiana,  If Indy could snag him in the second round that would be lovely..  
Even A Abdulah.. 

I would like us to pick up one of these guys in this order who ever is left on the board?

Gurley-Ga RB

Gregory- DE/OLB (in our scheme, who also reminds me of Dunlap w/ Cincy) Neb

Collins- Bama Safety

Gordon- WI RB (reminds me of Jamal Charles)

Tevin Colman is just as good as Gordon or Gurley..      He has carried Indiana,  If Indy could snag him in the second round that would be lovely..  

Even A Abdulah.. 

Gurley is good(overrated in many parts) but his back up Nick Chubb is better

Well it is U of Georgia...     SEC ..

I just love Tevin C ... .   and he is coming out.      I really hope the Colts go after a "big play" RB...

I like Coleman but if by chance we go rb early (I don't see that happening) I'd probably choose Gordon