Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Aaron Hernandez Indicted double homicide

lollygagger8

Hernandez's red flags were no worse then half the guys in the league. Pot smoking and some club scuffles. No one saw murderer. Had they, he would not have even been in the draft to begin with.

thankfully, most people do not kill people so, I would not expect anyone to see this coming.

One summer my daughter worked at a cookie store.  A guy she worked with was convicted of killing his father.......stuffing him in the crawl space and then joy riding around in his dads car for a few days.

He killed his father because he was cramping is style. Wanted to have more fun.....

She didn't see that coming

thankfully, most people do not kill people so, I would not expect anyone to see this coming.

One summer my daughter worked at a cookie store.  A guy she worked with was convicted of killing his father.......stuffing him in the crawl space and then joy riding around in his dads car for a few days.

He killed his father because he was cramping is style. Wanted to have more fun.....

WOW!  I am glad my crawl space has a door too small to stuff the old LB in.....that is just awful.

WOW!  I am glad my crawl space has a door too small to stuff the old LB in.....that is just awful.

it was pretty shocking

Like something of a criminal drama

I also had neighbors who were murdered. Turned out within the Korean community, they had a reputation for helping people by giving them cash.

And somebody assumed they must have cash in the house so they killed them so they could look around

You just never know, you know?  Lots of guys act like tough guys but are really softies on the inside.

And some people who appear normal.........are not

it was pretty shocking

I also had neighbors who were murdered. Turned out within the Korean community, they had a reputation for helping people by giving them cash.

And somebody assumed they must have cash in the house so they killed them so they could look around

You just never know, you know?  Lots of guys act like tough guys but are really softies on the inside.

Things simply happen 'too close to home.'

You can convict on purely circumstantial evidence.  In the more recent cases,  there was a question of how the victim was killed.  Also in both cases, the prosecution over-charged seeking higher degrees of murder instead of going with lesser, more provable charges such as negligent manslaughter.   For Casey Anthony, the defense, as unpalatable as he was, raised questions that the defense couldn't answer.  Did she drown and then was she buried?  Or was her mouth taped shut and then drowned?  The defense had all the cirumstantial evidence to prove everything but the order of death.  However, if they had just gone with negligent manslaughter, you can win on either set of facts - either Casey negligently let her daughter drown because she wasn't paying attention or she killed her.

With the Trayvon Martin case, there was a question of whether it was in self defense - and no one knew definitively except Zimmerman.  I know people say it was a cut and dry case, but it wasn't.  While Zimmerman looked culpable in some regard, without any witness to testify as to the demeanor of Zimmerman during his alleged self-defense, the jury had to make the assumption that Zimmerman intended on killing Martin, a difficult fact to swallow with the evidence given.  Had the prosecution simply gone for manslaughter, you could easily make the argument that, even if it was self defense, the self-defense should not exceed the violence your defending and in a fight, you don't bludgeon your assailant to death in a fist fight.  You beat him until he gives up and call the cops.  I think any jury would have found Zimmerman guilty if that were the charges.

In this case, so many things lead to Hernandez being at bare minimum an accomplice - which carries the same penalty as if he had pulled the trigger himself.  There may be conflicting testimony, but there are a couple of facts that can easily get a juror to find without a reasonable doubt that Hernandez killed or helped kill Odin Lloyd.  It is hardly disputed that 3 guys went out into a secluded area, two came back alive and the other was found dead with a bullet in his back.  That's enoguh to already get me on the guilty track.  Then you throw in the rest that paint the rest of the story, there's testimony that a gunshot was heard, obstruction of evidence, evidence showing it was Hernandez's car taking the route to the secluded area, etc.  Unless some critical fact doesn't make it into trial, he's toast.

I know you can convict on circumstantial evidence, however I get the impression that juries don't like it so much because many believe that police work is like an episode of CSI.

I wasn't actually thinking of the Zimmerman case mostly because I felt that case seemed to be pretty much 50/50 as to if you believed Zimmerman or not.  

However there was a case after that where some guy claimed self defense when he pulled his gat and gunned down a bunch of black teenagers in a car after complaining that their music was too loud.  Of course the teens where unarmed and he didn't tell anyone about gunning down the teens til like 3 days later after the police started asking questions.  The jury in that didn't have the guts to find him guilty of murder.

Of course those all happened in Florida and Florida is messed up. 

That is a truly horrific story but not uncommon unfortunately. We imagine all murderers look like Ted Bundy but in reality they could be our work associate, friend or family member.

I remember when the news broke on Hernandez thinking he is the last Pats player I would have ever thought capable of such a crime. When he was drafted, he told the Pats to test him every month for pot to prove he did not have an issue with it given he was caught in college. He was a hard worker, never said anything to media that wasn't positive. Appeared to be a good teammate as I never saw Brady once grab him for slacking off or running the wrong route. Just prior to his arrest he had bought his house and had a baby with his finance and said he was committed to working even harder in the off-season to avoid the injuries that had plagued him in his second year. I do believe Kraft when he says he was duped as the Pats never hand over that type of contract to a second year player unless they are convinced he is a sure thing both on and off the field. Only Hernandez and Gronk ever signed those monster deals after their second year as the Pats usually make guys play out their rookie deals or sign then one year ahead, not two.

The whole thing is very depressing on a Patriots level but more so on a human level. The human psyche is so complicated and hard to understand. The guy had everything and was working toward great things playing in a Super Bowl with Brady the year prior, had Kraft firmly in his corner, big contract, mansion, fiancé and baby and was apparently killing on the side. This is a supreme example where 2+2 just does not equal 4. It bothers me on so many levels.

I know you can convict on circumstantial evidence, however I get the impression that juries don't like it so much because many believe that police work is like an episode of CSI.

I wasn't actually thinking of the Zimmerman case mostly because I felt that case seemed to be pretty much 50/50 as to if you believed Zimmerman or not.  

However there was a case after that where some guy claimed self defense when he pulled his gat and gunned down a bunch of black teenagers in a car after complaining that their music was too loud.  Of course the teens where unarmed and he didn't tell anyone about gunning down the teens til like 3 days later after the police started asking questions.  The jury in that didn't have the guts to find him guilty of murder.

Of course those all happened in Florida and Florida is messed up. 

I heard about that case but hadn't read up on it.  Florida really is messed up.  While I think the jury reached the right verdict with respect to Anthony and Zimmerman, given the charges, there's still no doubt in my mind that they were both guilty as sin.  At bare minimum, they were responsible for two senseless deaths that were caused by carelessness.  At most, they killed with the intent to do so.

That is a truly horrific story but not uncommon unfortunately. We imagine all murderers look like Ted Bundy but in reality they could be our work associate, friend or family member.

I remember when the news broke on Hernandez thinking he is the last Pats player I would have ever thought capable of such a crime. When he was drafted, he told the Pats to test him every month for pot to prove he did not have an issue with it given he was caught in college. He was a hard worker, never said anything to media that wasn't positive. Appeared to be a good teammate as I never saw Brady once grab him for slacking off or running the wrong route. Just prior to his arrest he had bought his house and had a baby with his finance and said he was committed to working even harder in the off-season to avoid the injuries that had plagued him in his second year. I do believe Kraft when he says he was duped as the Pats never hand over that type of contract to a second year player unless they are convinced he is a sure thing both on and off the field. Only Hernandez and Gronk ever signed those monster deals after their second year as the Pats usually make guys play out their rookie deals or sign then one year ahead, not two.

The whole thing is very depressing on a Patriots level but more so on a human level. The human psyche is so complicated and hard to understand. The guy had everything and was working toward great things playing in a Super Bowl with Brady the year prior, had Kraft firmly in his corner, big contract, mansion, fiancé and baby and was apparently killing on the side. This is a supreme example where 2+2 just does not equal 4. It bothers me on so many levels.

yeah, I was watching Law & Order SVU last night and it was about this guy who had fantasys about killing young boys......had been divorced because his ex wife feared for her sons life.........who lived next to a school yard and posted online about watching the  young boys and thinking murderous thoughts about them

AND had built a sound proof torture room

psych eval said he was escalating to the point of something horrible

Anyway my daughter and I were having a disagreement about it because she said he had not broken the law and I said he is clearly a threat to society

His defense atty had this speech where she was like "Who hasn't thought about killing their boss or their spouse"

And I'm like "MOST PEOPLE HAVE NOT THOUGHT THAT"

People can be very disturbed or have really bad tempers and do things in the heat of the moment that most human beings would not do

Even our soldiers come home and have to deal with what they've seen and done

it is not natural or normal for humans to do this

Certainly not always predictable

If we could predict and prevent it, I would hope there would be less of it

There's been a horrible homicide problem around this city this year. People in the neighborhoods say they are scared

I think it's a relatively new phenomena that young people are killing. 

Actually, Bundy was considered to be a pillar of the community. He was a lawer whom many believed had a future in politics. A huge ladies man. All the while committing murder all over the northeast. You truly never know who is capable of that sort of thing

Actually, Bundy was considered to be a pillar of the community. He was a lawer whom many believed had a future in politics. A huge ladies man. All the while committing murder all over the northeast. You truly never know who is capable of that sort of thing

He sure was :)

al-bundy.gif

"I don't think there's any doubt in anyone's mind that he did this."

interesting.

I think this is the first time I've been quoted without being quoted.  ;)

I say it that way as a Patriots fan, meaning that I do not want to be construed as saying that I believe he's innocent. It's hard to believe but some people are swayed in criminal matters by their rooting interests.  

The evidence that's already come out, though circumstantial, is still pretty compelling. Odin Lloyd texted relatives that night saying who he was with and clearly knew something was up. I don't know if Hernandez pulled the trigger but he was in charge. He was the one with the money, the power, the resources. 

I believe in the legal process of "innocent until proven guilty," but unless you're a juror on a case, you're allowed to form an opinion based on public info. 

I could care less about the Patriot fans. I can't wait to see the teams report on this guy leak like it did with Manziel. It is hard to believe that the team was dupped... and chances are they knew of his off field issues. Of course, no one would have imagined murder... but chances are they were fully aware he had issues coming out of Florida. I mean he had already reportedly shot one guy in the face during an ARGUMENT. None the less, it is all about winning in some people eyes.

Very much speculative on your part, and dangerous to boot. I'm sure they knew he had issues, as did any team that scouted him. But do you really think they would have given millions of dollars in an extension to a guy who they thought was capable of killing another human being? 

Say what you want about their character, but Kraft and Belichick are not stupid. And if they had any inkling that Hernandez was this far down that path, and still gave him the money, then they're *. 

I was more talking about the way he looked. Most photos I have seen of him, he looks kind of sinister but maybe those were later pics ... I would imagine that type of lifestyle takes it toll one way or another ....

yeah, I was watching Law & Order SVU last night and it was about this guy who had fantasys about killing young boys......had been divorced because his ex wife feared for her sons life.........who lived next to a school yard and posted online about watching the  young boys and thinking murderous thoughts about them

AND had built a sound proof torture room

psych eval said he was escalating to the point of something horrible

Anyway my daughter and I were having a disagreement about it because she said he had not broken the law and I said he is clearly a threat to society

His defense atty had this speech where she was like "Who hasn't thought about killing their boss or their spouse"

And I'm like "MOST PEOPLE HAVE NOT THOUGHT THAT"

People can be very disturbed or have really bad tempers and do things in the heat of the moment that most human beings would not do

Even our soldiers come home and have to deal with what they've seen and done

it is not natural or normal for humans to do this

Certainly not always predictable

If we could predict and prevent it, I would hope there would be less of it

There's been a horrible homicide problem around this city this year. People in the neighborhoods say they are scared

I think it's a relatively new phenomena that young people are killing. 

I saw that Law & Order: SVU episode too Nadine, which I have watched regularly since it first aired on NBC several years ago. I beg to differ with you on what the defense attorney's primary argument was though. Her point was that you can't convict a man based on creepiness, torture devices, unhealthy fetishes, & a lack of DNA from a deceased victim. A crime has to be discovered first either a dead body, blood, hair strands, or witness statements placing the criminal at the scene or disposing of human remains. 

Her point about asking the jury whether or not they contemplated murdering their spouse or boss is this: Most of us have impulse control & we do not let rage or the desire for freedom from obligation & responsibility consume us as individuals largely because we may get bored with our mundane lives, but anything is better than a longterm prison sentence where all your future movements are monitored & controlled. I think more people have gotten furious at their spouse, but most of us find a way to calm down & relax a hour or so later. 

"If we could predict and prevent it, I would hope there would be less of it." True. As I watched this episode on TV, I kept thinking of Steven Speilberg's film "The Minority Report" starring actor Tom Cruise. The theme of that picture is that you can't convict a person based on what they might do the police & law enforcement should only be allowed to prosecute people & lock them up after an illegal act of homicide has been literally committed not before.  

it was pretty shocking

Well said Nadine. Well said. Proof that no one can predict with any degree of reliability  who is likely to commit murder & who is not.

Neighbors always say stuff like "He was such a nice, quiet man. I'm shocked." Just once, I want a neighbor to say "He killed cats a lot, played loud music, I always smelled ammonia and bleach all the time, I told the police to keep an eye on him, & they ignored it. Don't say I didn't warn you." 

That is brave on your daughter's part Nadine. It's 1 thing to talk & think about murder from a hypothetical perspective. It's quite another to literally work with a murderer in real life. But, every circumstance is different. Sometimes, homicide is an act of self defense meaning it's either him or me i.e. survival & self preservation.

I am glad your daughter is safe & sound now though.  

Sure but no murder weapon and no witnesses. Will be tough to convict him for the murder of Odin. Seems as if there is even less evidence for the double homicide that they just indicted him on. We'll see how it plays out ...

That couldn't be further from the truth. Regarding the double murder the charges come from the fact that police found the gun used to kill the two people, and tied it directly to Hernandez. There were three other people with them. Problem is we have seen all to often how hard it is to get a murder one charge to stick as far as a florida person goes lately. Awful.

I think this is the first time I've been quoted without being quoted. ;)

I say it that way as a Patriots fan, meaning that I do not want to be construed as saying that I believe he's innocent. It's hard to believe but some people are swayed in criminal matters by their rooting interests.

The evidence that's already come out, though circumstantial, is still pretty compelling. Odin Lloyd texted relatives that night saying who he was with and clearly knew something was up. I don't know if Hernandez pulled the trigger but he was in charge. He was the one with the money, the power, the resources.

I believe in the legal process of "innocent until proven guilty," but unless you're a juror on a case, you're allowed to form an opinion based on public info.

Very much speculative on your part, and dangerous to boot. I'm sure they knew he had issues, as did any team that scouted him. But do you really think they would have given millions of dollars in an extension to a guy who they thought was capable of killing another human being?

Say what you want about their character, but Kraft and Belichick are not stupid. And if they had any inkling that Hernandez was this far down that path, and still gave him the money, then they're *.

Have you read the timeline for this guy? In September of 07 he had already been questioned about a shooting (never solved.) Gets drafted, two years later the double murder happens... and a month later he gets a 40 million dollar contract. 6 months after that a guy is shot tells the cops he doesn't know who shot him. Later the guy sues Hernandez only to dismiss it days later. Then he alegedly kills Lloyd too. Shady from the start.

"I believe in the legal process of "innocent until proven guilty," but unless you're a juror on a case, you're allowed to form an opinion based on public info."

As a Patriot fan its even more interesting. So your perspective is looking at A Hernandez as a player you no longer like, so it influences how you judge his guilt or innocence? OK. That's just interesting to me, no disrespect.

Just like how my IND fans screaming how the world was being too harsh on J Irsay when he was...well.....i don't really know what you call it. The illegal substance was found in his car, but he wasn't arrested because they need a toxicology report? Doesn't make sense, even if its not in his system, he's guilty of possession, but whatever. The same fans protecting their owner will condemn someone from another team that does the excact same thing.

Its just interesting how people will say anything to justify their bias. Example: "the evidence to come out so far". Defendants have been tried in public perception for years with "leaked" info in weak cases. It's not anything new. Who's releasing this info? I doubt the defense is, so who does that leave?

This in no way is my thoughts on weather A Hernandez is guilty or innocent, just explaining why i resonded to your original post.  

I was more talking about the way he looked. Most photos I have seen of him, he looks kind of sinister but maybe those were later pics ... I would imagine that type of lifestyle takes it toll one way or another ....

Ted Bundy was a normal looking guy, even considered good looking. He's a bad example.

Charles Manson, there's a great example for you.

I heard about that case but hadn't read up on it.  Florida really is messed up.  While I think the jury reached the right verdict with respect to Anthony and Zimmerman, given the charges, there's still no doubt in my mind that they were both guilty as sin.  At bare minimum, they were responsible for two senseless deaths that were caused by carelessness.  At most, they killed with the intent to do so.

Heat causes people to be more aggressive which might explain the issue in FL.  Although there are other hot states that don't have their problems so I don't know what it is.

The thing that bothers me is that people try to blame it on Florida's stand your ground laws.  But a lot of other states have similar laws and don't have the problems Florida does.  

With the guy from what I've seen there was plenty there for a conviction.  Usually self defense claims have to be based on the idea that a reasonable person would feel their life was in jeopardy and I just don't see his reaction as reasonable.  Also you will have to correct me if I'm wrong but I believe you sort of lose the right to proof beyond a reasonable doubt when you claim self defense.  

Heat causes people to be more aggressive which might explain the issue in FL.  Although there are other hot states that don't have their problems so I don't know what it is.

The thing that bothers me is that people try to blame it on Florida's stand your ground laws.  But a lot of other states have similar laws and don't have the problems Florida does.  

With the guy from what I've seen there was plenty there for a conviction.  Usually self defense claims have to be based on the idea that a reasonable person would feel their life was in jeopardy and I just don't see his reaction as reasonable.  Also you will have to correct me if I'm wrong but I believe you sort of lose the right to proof beyond a reasonable doubt when you claim self defense.  

With the reasonable person thing, that's sort of true.  The prosecution still has to prove murder beyond a reasonable doubt, if they don't, then you never get to the defense claim.  For self defense, because the standard is a reasonable person, it is kind of awkward to say you have to prove, beyond a reasonable doubt that a reasonable person would have defended in the way that the defendant did.  That's where you lose the "beyond a reasonable doubt" burden.  The burden of proof is on the defendatn to prove self defense, and his burden is just would a reasonable person do it.  Prosecution will try to prove it wasn't reasonable.

Regarding Fla., I'm not really sure why myself.  I agree with you about the stand your ground laws.  It used to be in Florida that you had a duty to retreat first, and if attemtps were unsuccessful, then you could fight back.  But they enacted the stand your ground laws in like 2007.  It's very possible that the understanding of the law is still rounding itself out and the litigators who are dealing with it are adjusting how they present their case to the jurors.  Perhaps their are nuances with the law that are more lenient toward the person defending himself.  It's hard to say, especially when every case is different and every set of jurors are different.

Have you read the timeline for this guy? In September of 07 he had already been questioned about a shooting (never solved.) Gets drafted, two years later the double murder happens... and a month later he gets a 40 million dollar contract. 6 months after that a guy is shot tells the cops he doesn't know who shot him. Later the guy sues Hernandez only to dismiss it days later. Then he alegedly kills Lloyd too. Shady from the start.

It's pretty easy to put all those things together with the information you have today. Plenty of NFL stars have "shady from the start" backgrounds that they're able to get away from as they mature and develop as men. Hernandez never got out of the scene he was a part of, and while I'm sure the Patriots had concerns, it comes down to the same question:

If Bob Kraft knew that one of his employees was doing this stuff, why would he hand him a contract worth tens of millions of dollars? 

If you want to believe that they suspected Hernandez was a murderer and gave him that extension anyway, well... that makes no sense. Even if you think the worst of Kraft and Belichick as people, consider what a foolish move that would have been strictly from a business standpoint. They could have used Hernandez's "dead money" on the cap this season to sign probably two high-level players. Forget about their ethics and moral values, just ask yourself that question. 

"I believe in the legal process of "innocent until proven guilty," but unless you're a juror on a case, you're allowed to form an opinion based on public info."

As a Patriot fan its even more interesting. So your perspective is looking at A Hernandez as a player you no longer like, so it influences how you judge his guilt or innocence? OK. That's just interesting to me, no disrespect.

Just like how my IND fans screaming how the world was being too harsh on J Irsay when he was...well.....i don't really know what you call it. The illegal substance was found in his car, but he wasn't arrested because they need a toxicology report? Doesn't make sense, even if its not in his system, he's guilty of possession, but whatever. The same fans protecting their owner will condemn someone from another team that does the excact same thing.

Its just interesting how people will say anything to justify their bias. Example: "the evidence to come out so far". Defendants have been tried in public perception for years with "leaked" info in weak cases. It's not anything new. Who's releasing this info? I doubt the defense is, so who does that leave?

This in no way is my thoughts on weather A Hernandez is guilty or innocent, just explaining why i resonded to your original post.  

So what's your actual MO? I'm not really following you. And I'm doing my best to keep an open mind and assume you're not questioning my own morality here, lol...

I'm not suggesting that Hernadez be denied a trial and tossed in prison for the rest of his life. But people are tried and convicted in the public court of opinion every day. Ultimately it doesn't matter what kind of judgment the masses come up with, it's the men and women of a jury who decide. As a juror you have the obligation of objectivity. As a football fan, I do not. 

Classic example of beauty being in the eye of the beholder. ;)   I thought Bundy was creepy looking.

Part of the reason that Bundy got away with it for so long was that he was a normal looking guy who didn't raise any red flags with people who knew him or worked with him. He even walked some of his female co-workers out to their cars at night and they felt safe with him. He was also considered somewhat attractive and charismatic which is how he was able to lure some of his female victims into situations where he could kidnap and kill them. He was a classic sociopath who could act and appear normal but had no empathy for other people.

Part of the reason that Bundy got away with it for so long was that he was a normal looking guy who didn't raise any red flags with people who knew him or worked with him. He even walked some of his female co-workers out to their cars at night and they felt safe with him. He was also considered somewhat attractive and charismatic which is how he was able to lure some of his female victims into situations where he could kidnap and kill them. He was a classic sociopath who could act and appear normal but had no empathy for other people.

Like I said, attraction is a personal thing. If others found him charming or attractive so be it. The overall point was that the human psyche is very hard to understand. People can look and appear "normal" and be doing heinous things in their private lives.

220px-Ted_Bundy_headshot.jpg

This looks creepy to me ....

• 2 weeks later...

keanu2.gif

Easy there.......I'm not saying Irsay is above reproach by any means, but he didn't murder a bunch of people like Hernandez did. <- Yes, did.