Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2014 NFL Draft Do-Over

As the draft is behind us, what picks would you have made given the players that were available at each spot? It was kind of a weird draft in that each pick seemed to have less trade value than in other years.

My thoughts:

59.) Kony Ealy DE Missouri

I actually don't mind the Mewhort pick. I am all for giving Luck the best protection possible, and I am not sold that Donald Thomas is 100%. However, with regards to Ealy, although I am not certain he can play OLB, I am certain he can rush the passer and represents tremendous value at 59. We have to get a pass rush from someone other than Mathis.

90.) Donte Moncrief WR Mississippi

Loved the pick! Moncrief was an absolute steal at pick 90. The best part is that he will have a year with limited expectations to really learn the nuances of the offense as well as the wide receiver position in the NFL from Reggie Wayne and Hakeem Nicks. He is only 20 years old and is 6'2" 220lbs and runs a sub 4.4 forty. He has a bright future

166.) Antone Exum CB/S Virginia Tech

I was really high on this guy going into the draft. I love his size and versatility. I was surprised he was available this late in the draft. I feel Minnesota got great value in the 6th round.

203.) Antonio Richardson OT Tennessee

I am not sure why he went undrafted. Perhaps there is something behind the scenes that fans are unaware of. He was once viewed as a potential first round pick. He has great size and strength. At the very least, he offers an upgrade of the depth of the offensive line.

232.) Jeff Janis WR Saginaw Valley State

I give Janis the nod by a hair over Rashaad Reynolds CB Oregon State. Janis is 6'3" 220lbs and ran a 4.42 forty at the combine. He dominated in college with over 1,500 yards and 14 TDs in 2013. Although WR is far from a need, in the 7th round you just go with the best player available regardless of position. It would have made for outstanding camp competition (which is already the case).

Undrafted Free Agent Note:

As many of us have noted, there are some surprisingly good players available in free agency. I really like the Jon Harrison C Florida and Keon Lyn CB Syracuse acquisitions. We also just signed Lou Purifoy CB from Florida so I like the talent we have signed after the draft. It is almost like having some extra draft choices

As the draft is behind us, what picks would you have made given the players that were available at each spot? It was kind of a weird draft in that each pick seemed to have less trade value than in other years.

My thoughts:

I actually don't mind the Mewhort pick. I am all for giving Luck the best protection possible, and I am not sold that Donald Thomas is 100%. However, with regards to Ealy, although I am not certain he can play OLB, I am certain he can rush the passer and represents tremendous value at 59. We have to get a pass rush from someone other than Mathis.

Loved the pick! Moncrief was an absolute steal at pick 90. The best part is that he will have a year with limited expectations to really learn the nuances of the offense as well as the wide receiver position in the NFL from Reggie Wayne and Hakeem Nicks. He is only 20 years old and is 6'2" 220lbs and runs a sub 4.4 forty. He has a bright future

I was really high on this guy going into the draft. I love his size and versatility. I was surprised he was available this late in the draft. I feel Minnesota got great value in the 6th round.

I am not sure why he went undrafted. Perhaps there is something behind the scenes that fans are unaware of. He was once viewed as a potential first round pick. He has great size and strength. At the very least, he offers an upgrade of the depth of the offensive line.

I give Janis the nod by a hair over Rashaad Reynolds CB Oregon State. Janis is 6'3" 220lbs and ran a 4.42 forty at the combine. He dominated in college with over 1,500 yards and 14 TDs in 2013. Although WR is far from a need, in the 7th round you just go with the best player available regardless of position. It would have made for outstanding camp competition (which is already the case).

As many of us have noted, there are some surprisingly good players available in free agency. I really like the Jon Harrison C Florida and Keon Lyn CB Syracuse acquisitions. We also just signed Lou Purifoy CB from Florida so I like the talent we have signed after the draft. It is almost like having some extra draft choices

I liked Exum a lot too. Not sure I would draft 2 WR when we have what we already have

I understand everyone is entitled to their own opinion but I wouldn't even think about doing a draft redo until at least one or 2 years after they are drafted..

I am not saying Grigson did a bad job by any means. I am just saying, for fun, what would you have done with each pick?

I understand everyone is entitled to their own opinion but I wouldn't even think about doing a draft redo until at least one or 2 years after they are drafted..

How can you do a do-over if you don't know how good these guys are in the NFL?

I think waiting until we know who is good and who is bad would kind of defeat the point of the exercise.  I think the OP is asking "If you were the Colts GM how would you have drafted ... without the benefit of hindsight".  So if someone saves/bumps this post at the end of the season/2 yrs from now, etc ... we can see how the "armchair GM's" drafts stack up against Grigson's.

So if the draft went like this with the same players picked, how would you feel about it?

Mewhort would not be there at 90, and what would be the point in drafting Purifoy when you can wait until the UDFA period and get him then (like they did). Same thing with Zach Kerr, why draft him when he's going to be there in the UDFA period. Essentially, they traded down to get 2 UDFAs.

Mewhort would not be there at 90, and what would be the point in drafting Purifoy when you can wait until the UDFA period and get him then (like they did). Same thing with Zach Kerr, why draft him when he's going to be there in the UDFA period. Essentially, they traded down to get 2 UDFAs.

Dude this is before you knew they would be UDFAs, if the draft went like that in real time

Perhaps I should have drafted an instruction manual. I am not saying anything bad about how Grigson drafted. I actually like the draft for the most part. I am just saying, as an arm chair GM, if you were the Colts GM at each pick in the Colts draft, given the players that were available, who would you take?

Without looking after the draft at who was undrafted, just objectively looking at each pick, who would you select? I am just curious what others would have done.

Overall, I do like the Colts draft. I am intrigued with Mewhort and really like the Moncrief selection.

So if the draft went like this with the same players picked, how would you feel about it?

What makes anyone think Mewhort would have been there at 90? That's awful presumptuous.

Replace him with Schofield, and now we're back to the real world somewhat.

It's also funny that you're suggesting overdrafting Moncrief, and we all know that he lasted til 90. You'd be better off projecting Mewhort at 77.

What makes anyone think Mewhort would have been there at 90? That's awful presumptuous.

Replace him with Schofield, and now we're back to the real world somewhat.

It's also funny that you're suggesting overdrafting Moncrief, and we all know that he lasted til 90. You'd be better off projecting Mewhort at 77.

Hey I copied and pasted from twitter this isn't my thoughts, I wouldn't have traded back in the first place. I just thought it was intriguing way to look at it and of course Mewhort would have had to fall a long way

Hey I copied and pasted from twitter this isn't my thoughts, I wouldn't have traded back in the first place. I just thought it was intriguing way to look at it and of course Mewhort would have had to fall a long way

Fair enough. To me, it just highlights how difficult it is to set up a draft board and stick to it.

My thoughts:

Exum had a knee that probably took him off a lot of draftboards.

Isn`t Richardson the guy who loves food more than football?

Ealy looks top notch just didn`t fill the need.

What offensive lineman doesn't like eating?

Exum does have a knee issue but is now 2 years removed from the incident.

I am not sure if Ealy fits our defense really, I just really feel we need to boost the pass rush. Hopefully Werner can step it up in year 2. There is no reason to believe Walden will ever be a threat. I really wanted Attaochu but thought Ealy might be able to convert.

I just feel Janis has intriguing potential. WR is far from a need, but in the 7th might as well swing for the fence. Who knows, perhaps Ulrick John is going to be a player for us.