Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Zach Kerr NT Delaware (CFA for the Colts)

Being overvalued isn't exclusive to here. Everyone and their mother had this guy going in the first round. 

To me 1st round NT's are guys like Ngata and Poe, I dont think he is quick enough to be that, He does show a swim move once in a while but generally does not shed blocks well especially when his initial burst off the snap is contained, Now if he had not have had the health concerns I would have been alright with him in the third (Though like you say several had him going in the late 1st).....But again unless a NT is the next Dontari Poe or Ngata then I'd wait till the mid rounds

He fell because of an injury and there aren't many 3-4 teams. Nix is a 1st round talent and was highly rated on many boards including Mayocks. We were 28th against the run, Nix would have been a steal at 59. Could have been the best NT the Colts have had since Simon and anchored the middle for a decade. Would have made it a lot easier for Freeman and both Jacksons.

But why did he fall to round 3? My guess is that there's something behind the scenes going on with him. It would be one thing if just the Colts passed up on him in favor of Mewhort (who I would tend to wager you're underestimating here, we're talking about a guy who Chris Simms even said he liked better than Lewan). But it wasn't just the Colts, nearly every team in the NFL passed over him in round 2. On the surface Nix looks like he's going to be really good and has a higher ceiling than Mewhort but I think it's likely there are some lingering issues physical or otherwise that detracted from the interest surrounding him. The teams have more information on the players available to them than we do. 

Not impressed at all with this guy. For god sakes it is Albany! If he was NFL caliber he should dominate these guys. He can't fight off a cut block,he gets pushed back off the line by a single blocker. I seen all that in the first minute and a half before I shut it off!

Not impressed at all with this guy. For god sakes it is Albany! If he was NFL caliber he should dominate these guys. He can't fight off a cut block,he gets pushed back off the line by a single blocker. I seen all that in the first minute and a half before I shut it off!

:scratch: you came to a judgement on a guy after exactly 1:00 minutes worth of tape?....you missed what is a pretty good 4:00 other minutes.....including a sack...a couple Stuffs and pressures...He is an undrafted project, what do you expect

:scratch: you came to a judgement on a guy after exactly 1:00 minutes worth of tape?....you missed what is a pretty good 4:00 other minutes.....including a sack...a couple Stuffs and pressures...He is an undrafted project, what do you expect

I went back and watched the whole 6 mins still not impressed. I would like to see the whole game that tells you what kind of player he really is. Your not going to convince me that his competiton was anything close to what he will see in the nfl. We can agree to disagree I don't want to argue about it.

I'm not, Chapman gets pushed back at the line of scrimmage more then a NT should and he has no pass rushing ability. Most of Alabama players are bust, they don't translate well to the league. Lacy and Julio was good and i do think Mosley will be because Ngata is great, but most of Alabama players aren't good.

Yeah I stick by my original statement.  I think you're underestimating Chapman.  He does have some pass rushing ability in terms of collapsing the pocket.  Other teams HAVE to double him.  If they leave him one-on-one then he's going to push the other guy into the QB's face. He did it several times in his few opportunities last year.  

I'm wondering if maybe you were actually seeing Franklin when you thought you were seeing Chapman.  It was difficult at times to distinguish without rewinding and pausing.  Early in the season it was easy because Franklin always wore a white tshirt under his jersey and Chapman didn't.  However after a couple of games, Chapman began wearing a similar white tshirt so they looked very similar.  And as fast as they sometimes subbed in and out, it's possibly you were seeing Franklin and not Chapman.  Franklin did get pushed back a lot and other teams didn't have to double him like they did with Chapman and I don't recall Franklin ever getting close to an opposing QB whereas Chapman was about a half step from having ~2-3 sacks.

He fell because of an injury and there aren't many 3-4 teams. 

almost half of the NFL teams either run or are switching to a 3-4 in 2014. At least 15 of the 32 teams will be running a base 3-4  ;)  

Yeah I stick by my original statement.  I think you're underestimating Chapman.  He does have some pass rushing ability in terms of collapsing the pocket.  Other teams HAVE to double him.  If they leave him one-on-one then he's going to push the other guy into the QB's face. He did it several times in his few opportunities last year.  

I'm wondering if maybe you were actually seeing Franklin when you thought you were seeing Chapman.  It was difficult at times to distinguish without rewinding and pausing.  Early in the season it was easy because Franklin always wore a white tshirt under his jersey and Chapman didn't.  However after a couple of games, Chapman began wearing a similar white tshirt so they looked very similar.  And as fast as they sometimes subbed in and out, it's possibly you were seeing Franklin and not Chapman.  Franklin did get pushed back a lot and other teams didn't have to double him like they did with Chapman and I don't recall Franklin ever getting close to an opposing QB whereas Chapman was about a half step from having ~2-3 sacks.

almost half of the NFL teams either run or are switching to a 3-4 in 2014. At least 15 of the 32 teams will be running a base 3-4   ;)

He isn`t underestimating Chapman he is full of it.

It took 2 guys to move Chapman 2 yards and that was all they got. And he did push the pocket some one on one.

Franklin was scrappy but really, he got nothin' done. Help is on the way with A Bunch of guys.

You have to assume that NT is the top target for the first round next year. I agree that a 3-4 will never run the way it's supposed to. That is the one position you don't want a guy who is just "adequate" at. It's great that we have all these OLB prospects but the Front 7 is going to average if we don't get that star NT.

But it's Grigs' fault. I'd bet everything I own that had we had that first round pick, we would've taken Hageman.

I don't see NT ever being a top target.    I certainly hope not.

A team can find a quality NT further down in the draft than the first round.

I'd much rather save my premium picks for the premium positions............

Just another way to look at things.

Besides,  next year we could need a new safety, a new corner, more pass rush....   a NT might not be close to our top priority.

Just sayin.....

I don't see NT ever being a top target.    I certainly hope not.

A team can find a quality NT further down in the draft than the first round.

I'd much rather save my premium picks for the premium positions............

Just another way to look at things.

Besides,  next year we could need a new safety, a new corner, more pass rush....   a NT might not be close to our top priority.

Just sayin.....

The only way I would ever spend a 1st rounder on a NT is on a Dontari Poe or  Ngata or Lotuleilei type

Kerr is a solid back-up and he'll make the team, but i'm more interested in Thomas and McDonald! I think Dewey NAILS IT AND COMES THROUGH! We are bleeding, and i have faith DEWEY can do it!

McDonald would be a good score he is big 6'0 220 4.43 40 that would be nice to add to the back end. Cox seems a little undersized nothing jumps out at you but he seems to have an it factor.

Thomas another big WR 6'1 216 not a burner but he scored in like 12 straight games safe to say he can use that body in the red zone.

I am interested in the O Line pick ups too Hall and Harrison, Pike and Walker. Should make for a good camp. I really like the UDFA's apparently 14 are guys we had on our draft board.

Maybe Jackson can explain to the coaches the benefit of stealing Dowling from the Raiders.

He fell because of an injury and there aren't many 3-4 teams. Nix is a 1st round talent and was highly rated on many boards including Mayocks. We were 28th against the run, Nix would have been a steal at 59. Could have been the best NT the Colts have had since Simrehab on and anchored the middle for a decade. Would have made it a lot easier for Freeman and both Jacksons.

Nix barely played last year and when he did it wasn't that impressive. He was over weight and did not have he speed to get to the ball.  Truitt was the guy who made the plays for the Irish when they needed them. Really he had one great year then had  his knee injury that required platelet-rich plasma therapy and surgery sounds series for a knee on a 340lb dude. We didn't take him.

He fell because of an injury and there aren't many 3-4 teams. Nix is a 1st round talent and was highly rated on many boards including Mayocks. We were 28th against the run, Nix would have been a steal at 59. Could have been the best NT the Colts have had since Simrehab on and anchored the middle for a decade. Would have made it a lot easier for Freeman and both Jacksons.

Nix wasn't that impressive last year. He was over weight and did not have he speed to get to the ball.  Truitt was the guy who made the plays for the Irish when they needed them up front. Really he had one great year then had  his knee injury that required platelet-rich plasma therapy and surgery sounds serious for a knee on a 340lb dude who already struggles to keep his weight right. We didn't take him so that is that. There were more than one team that passed who could use a NT.

Our biggest issue is the O Line we have someone that needs protecting Texans not so much.