Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grigson: "Khaled is our center"

MTC

Gone are the days when Colts fans would beg Polian to draft some big bodies for the O line.  Pagano said he wanted a power running game.  Get ready Colts fans.  Here it comes.   :clap:

You do know Polian drafted the guys with the skills the head coach and the position coach wanted right?  Mudd liked smaller, fleet footed guys where footwork, balance and agility were more coveted than bulk and upper body strength.  I was after Mudd left that the Colts started to get bigger along the oline.

Plus McGlynn was in the 320 range, Satele was 300+ and Winston Justice is around 320 and they were all bad.  Bigger does not mean better or even good.

I'm slightly worried by the fact that he was a healthy scratch so much last season, even when we had injuries along the line.

You can be sure of a guys talent all you want in this league, but that doesn't always translate to him being a good productive player.

As someone who believes the best way to turn someone into an NFL player is to put them out there and learn in the dogfight, the fact that we went to lengths to keep him off the field last year is disconcerting.

Hopefully he sets the world on fire. But if he turns out to be satele's second rate stunt double, there's gonna be some egg to go around on the face of Grigson.

I really don't like the way Grigson didn't establish that Holmes was our starting center until after the draft. It makes it seem like he didn't get the Center he wanted, so now he has to use Holmes.

It's not like he was setting up a smokescreen, since he himself says he doesn't like them.

I really don't like the way Grigson didn't establish that Holmes was our starting center until after the draft. It makes it seem like he didn't get the Center he wanted, so now he has to use Holmes.

It's not like he was setting up a smokescreen, since he himself says he doesn't like them.

He said so at the owners meetings in March. Maybe not quite as definitively, but I'm not sure why he needed to.

I must have missed that. Also with Grigs recently saying Donald Thomas could play center wasn't exactly a ringing endorsement. 

Let's not overlook that it is not in the best interest of the team to be "more definitive" about Holmes prior to the draft.  Having the rest of the world wonder if we might spend a 2 or 3 on a center is a good thing.

Let's not overlook that it is not in the best interest of the team to be "more definitive" about Holmes prior to the draft.  Having the rest of the world wonder if we might spend a 2 or 3 on a center is a good thing.

I would agree if Grigson said he doesn't so smokescreens. 

Still wish we would have had Costas on hand to push him.  

Yeah.......If Costa was really able to push him there is a real reason to worry about Holmes......Costa wasn't starting material, Lacked the athleticism, strength and had short arms...He slipped off blocks quite a bit and wasn't a very good drive blocker from all the games I went back and watched of him with the Cowboys

I would agree if Grigson said he doesn't so smokescreens. 

Not at all the same thing.  Smokescreens are purposeful misinformation and it was pretty obvious what he thought of Holmes by his free agent behavior and comments thereafter.  He may not have told us how strongly he feels Holmes is his starter, but he did tell us.

I'm fine that we didn't draft a true center.  I'm okay with Holmes being the guy. 

We've got plenty of people that are able to play center in a pinch. Plus we just

signed the UDFA Harrison from Florida who is also a center.  

We're okay at that position now....

I really hope Holmes has added some strength and comes in and solidifies our line. I expect Thornton to be much improved as well. Here's what I see.....Castonzo, Thomas, Holmes, Thornton, Cherilus. Or if Holmes struggles...Castonzo, Thornton, Thomas, Mewhort, Cherilus. Either way the line should be a lot better than the last couple years.

At this point, Holmes is basically Schrodinger's cat; he's both good and bad, until his ability is measured on the field. There are plenty of reasons to be optimistic about him, but there are also reasons for concern. We really won't know until we see him perform on the field.

The coaches and the staff have a lot more information than we do, having seen him practice and work with the team in various settings. Their vote of confidence is a good thing, and can be taken as a positive. The glaring lack of confidence in him last year is a concern. But until he actually gets on the field and starts playing against pro competition, there's no way for us to really know what he can do. 

I still think it makes plenty of sense to pencil him in as starter and move forward as if he's our guy.