Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts UDFA signings (please post all of them here) [Mega Merge]

MTC

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So this is weird. We signed 19 UDFAs, but Grigson said in his presser yesterday that we only had room for 14. A reporter asked whether the five draft picks count against the 90 man roster prior to signing contracts, and Grigson said he was unsure. Now today, they announce on the website that we signed five more UDFAs than Grigson said we could.

So is it possible that we don't count the drafted players against the 90 man roster until they sign? Because I don't think that's the case, and as of yesterday's presser, Grigson didn't either. I wonder if they figured something out that they didn't know before...

I just assumed some of them are coming in for a workout but won't be signed. It's confusing for sure.

So this is weird. We signed 19 UDFAs, but Grigson said in his presser yesterday that we only had room for 14. A reporter asked whether the five draft picks count against the 90 man roster prior to signing contracts, and Grigson said he was unsure. Now today, they announce on the website that we signed five more UDFAs than Grigson said we could.

So is it possible that we don't count the drafted players against the 90 man roster until they sign? Because I don't think that's the case, and as of yesterday's presser, Grigson didn't either. I wonder if they figured something out that they didn't know before...

Don't know but I did find this that says they count. So either Grigson was bad at math or we have too many players ..

90-player limit will include active, inactive, practice squad, exempt, reserve lists, unsigned draft choices, franchise FAs.

90-player limit will include active, inactive, practice squad, exempt, reserve lists, unsigned draft choices, franchise FAs.

— Greg Aiello (@gregaiello)

April 23, 2012

I just assumed some of them are coming in for a workout but won't be signed. It's confusing for sure.

Colts.com says these guys are signed. Agreed to terms. Not invited for tryout camp. So I think it's safe to assume that they are signed and on the roster.

Worst case scenario, we signed too many, and the last five contracts sent over to the league won't be approved. It's not a big deal.  Best case, we really can carry a extra players pending draft signings. 

But here's why I doubt that's the case: 1) It's never been done before. We accounted for our draft picks last year, pending them being signed. 2) It's not a big deal for us, as it's just five roster spots. But other teams have 10+ draft picks, none of them signed. They'd essentially have rights to 100+ players, if you don't count the draft picks. The whole point of limiting roster size is to make sure all the teams are playing by the same rules. Because we have fewer picks this year, we'd be held to different roster limitations.

I'm curious how this works out. 

Maybe not worth starting a new thread, but the Colts have signed Loucheiz Purifoy, CB from Florida.

I gave him a 4th round grade in the draft, and I like the upside he brings. Good coaching staff can improve his play; raw player.

We've got to be preparing to release some players that were already on the roster. I really want to know how we're able to sign 20 UDFAs with only 14 roster spots available...

I think you hit the nail on the head..... Almost certain some releases will be coming soon

We've got to be preparing to release some players that were already on the roster. I really want to know how we're able to sign 20 UDFAs with only 14 roster spots available...

I do'nt know this to be true, but I would have to imagine that there is a period where they have to get under the 90 man roster.  Perhaps by next Tuesday?  I'll have to look it up - probably in the Constitution or CBA.

It seems the 80 (now 90) player limit does not include, accordign to 17.1(A) of the NFL Constitution does not include un-signed draft choices and those declared ineligible to participate (suspended), among others.  So that would seem to account for 5 of our draft choices.  Not sure about the 1 extra player.  But it seem clear to me that we'd have to get below this 90 man limit.  Perhaps you could take a look at it and figure it out, as you know more about the player designations than I do. 

It seems the 80 (now 90) player limit does not include, accordign to 17.1(A) of the NFL Constitution does not include un-signed draft choices and those declared ineligible to participate (suspended), among others.  So that would seem to account for 5 of our draft choices.  Not sure about the 1 extra player.  But it seem clear to me that we'd have to get below this 90 man limit.  Perhaps you could take a look at it and figure it out, as you know more about the player designations than I do. 

The link to the constitution takes me to the 2006 revision. http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/static/html/careers/pdf/co_.pdf

When the rosters were expanded to 90 a couple years ago, it was done with the purpose of including all players under the 90 man limit. there is no reserve list, aside from retired-reserved, not until the regular season. Suspended players still count against the 90 man roster, as do PUP and IR players. 

It's my understanding that this includes unsigned draft picks. I am not sure, but I know we had 90 players last year, including unsigned draft picks. I've never known us to be able to go past the 90 man mark, all players included. The whole purpose of roster limits is to encourage an even playing field. If unsigned draft picks don't count, you can essentially carry extra players all offseason, up until training camp, which is the first occasion that a player must be signed to participate. And a team with 14 picks would have 9 extra players than us, all offseason. Kind of defeats the purpose.

Again, I'm not sure. And it struck me as odd that Grigson wasn't entirely sure, and I figured it was just some mental haze from a long weekend. And then next thing you know we've signed five too many UDFAs, which coincides with our picks. Maybe unsigned draft picks don't count. Maybe the team reported "agreed to terms" when some of those players are just tryout invites. I don't know, but I bet we'll find out soon. None of the UDFAs have been updated to the transactions list on the Colts website or NFL.com (for any teams), so I'm sure some clarity will develop in the next few days.

The link to the constitution takes me to the 2006 revision. http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/static/html/careers/pdf/co_.pdf

When the rosters were expanded to 90 a couple years ago, it was done with the purpose of including all players under the 90 man limit. there is no reserve list, aside from retired-reserved, not until the regular season. Suspended players still count against the 90 man roster, as do PUP and IR players. 

It's my understanding that this includes unsigned draft picks. I am not sure, but I know we had 90 players last year, including unsigned draft picks. I've never known us to be able to go past the 90 man mark, all players included. The whole purpose of roster limits is to encourage an even playing field. If unsigned draft picks don't count, you can essentially carry extra players all offseason, up until training camp, which is the first occasion that a player must be signed to participate. And a team with 14 picks would have 9 extra players than us, all offseason. Kind of defeats the purpose.

Again, I'm not sure. And it struck me as odd that Grigson wasn't entirely sure, and I figured it was just some mental haze from a long weekend. And then next thing you know we've signed five too many UDFAs, which coincides with our picks. Maybe unsigned draft picks don't count. Maybe the team reported "agreed to terms" when some of those players are just tryout invites. I don't know, but I bet we'll find out soon. None of the UDFAs have been updated to the transactions list on the Colts website or NFL.com (for any teams), so I'm sure some clarity will develop in the next few days.

Yeah I saw that it was the 2006 revision as well, and perhaps there is something in some of the subsequent resolutions (which I thought were included in the link you just provided, but on second look they are not.  The NFL is usually pretty quick about monitoring roster moves, so ti could be the "agreed to terms" are "agreements to agree conditioned upon x,y and z."  As you say, we should see something sooner rather than later.