Colts draft Jonathan Newsome, DE/OLB, Ball State [Merge]

chad72

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

...  he played DE at Ball State...

But at 6' 2 1/3 and just under 250, he's an OLB for the Colts.

Someone here, and I'm sorry, I don't remember who it was,  called his name about 3 weeks ago.

Said he'd be a great late round pick for the Colts.    Well,  Ryan Grigson apparently agrees with you!

Played at Ohio State before going to BSU. 

Big Joe from the Grady and Big Joe Show on 1070 AM is a former Buckeye OL, he is going to LOVE this draft. SMonroe too, that poster is a former Buckeye too.

Big Joe from the Grady and Big Joe Show on 1070 AM is a former Buckeye OL, he is going to LOVE this draft. SMonroe too, that poster is a former Buckeye too.

TBH, I think the guys drafted today are destined for the PS. Who is he going to beat out?

TBH, I think the guys drafted today are destined for the PS. Who is he going to beat out?

He is a situational pass rusher at best, Jonathan Newsome.

Without a 4th rounder, we did not have ammunition to move up to get a difference maker, IMO. Chargers with Telesco, they moved up in round 2 to get Jeremiah Attaochu. In round 1, they got Jason Verett. So, to defend vs Peyton, they got a player for their secondary and a player for the pass rush. But they had picks to move up, especially their 4th.

Not having the 1st rounder would have been fine if we had the rest. Now, Grigson might re-think going bonkers trying to trade away future draft picks in the first 4 rounds. 5th and onwards, you get special teams and PS players more often than not. The first 4 rounds are normally the ones where you get the difference makers, IMO, for a norm.

Sounds like he may have been too good to pass up. Was a starter at Ohio State before having to transfer. I didn't think we needed another Pass Rusher but I like the pick. :)

How do we not need another pass rusher? First, all teams need more pass rushers, second, we had 1. One.

Agree on the rest though!

Now I'm going to bang the table for us to trade a 2015 #5 for a 2014 #6.    I've got to believe there are players that Grigson covets and he doesn't want to wait until after pick 200 to take.

I still think a trade is coming.....

I do think this might be true after Grigson realizing that the first 4 rounds are more precious than the others for difference makers. So, trading away a future 5th where mostly back up and ST players happen is not as bad as trading away one in the first 4 rounds, at least IMO.

He is a situational pass rusher at best, Jonathan Newsome.

Without a 4th rounder, we did not have ammunition to move up to get a difference maker, IMO. Chargers with Telesco, they moved up in round 2 to get Jeremiah Attaochu. In round 1, they got Jason Verett. So, to defend vs Peyton, they got a player for their secondary and a player for the pass rush. But they had picks to move up, especially their 4th.

Not having the 1st rounder would have been fine if we had the rest. Now, Grigson might re-think going bonkers trying to trade away future draft picks in the first 4 rounds. 5th and onwards, you get special teams and PS players more often than not. The first 4 rounds are normally the ones where you get the difference makers, IMO, for a norm.

It is what it is, but we already have a lot of 'potentially' good players everywhere except safety. I wanted Sunseri.

Point being who is he and the next two going to beat out?

First of the picks that made me scratch my head but a decent pick overall. Mainly due to the position that the player. I see him more as an OLB than a DE. That being said, I still think we go safety in the 6th. Just had that feeling all week. I could b wrong though