Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts draft Jack Mewhort, OL, OSU [Merge]

oldunclemark

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Colts fans: "We need O-Line help big time or Andrew Luck is going to get killed."

Grigson drafts All-American OL from Ohio State.

Colts fans: "Terrible pick."

I'm a former SEC guard (not too difficult to guess which team) and this fanbase seems to be bipolar.

Just a quick question.  This isn't the guy Khalil Mack tore up in the Buffalo vs OSU game is it?     

No, he's not. I've read that on a couple of scouting reports online, and some here have said it. It's not true. He got beat by Mack once, on an incredible inside rush move (the kind of move that makes pro scouts drool, and makes pro tackles nervous). The other five or six times he went head to head with Mack, he shut him down. Mack was a terror in that game, but it was mostly against the RT.

And that's at LT. He's presumably going to kick in to play guard for us, where he doesn't have to deal with elite pass rushers like Mack.

For those that question whether Mewhort was a "reach" at 59 and speculate that he would have been available at 90, give a glance to what happened at 64.  Mewhort is a household name among scouts and consistently projected as a mid 2nd to early 3rd pick.  Many had him as the next best OT/OL prospect after Koundjio and Moses.  The Seahawks drafted Britt, a projected 6th Rd pick to UDFA, at 64 with Gabe Jackson, Morgan Moses, Marcus Martin and others still on the board.  Do we really think that they wouldn't have picked Mewhort instead?  We'll never know, but it is very likely that Mewhort is a very desirable long term piece of a good line.

Not the pick I was personally looking for, but how can this possibly be a bad thing?

Judging by Clowney's swim-move, I might not come to that conclusion. ;)

Clowney is going to be an edge rusher. The only time Mewhort will see someone like that -- if he's playing guard -- will be on a stunt, and his experience at tackle should help him pick up stunts effectively.

Also, because he has big, strong arms, he does a good job of catching rushers when he's not in perfect position or lets them into his body. That will lead to holding penalties, but it's only holding if it gets called, and a hold is better than letting the rusher disrupt the play or destroy your QB. 

I believe in Jack Mewhort. I had written him off because I didn't think we'd go with a lineman at #59 (still don't think we needed to; Mewhort is very similar to Michael Schofield from Michigan, who went at the bottom of the third to the Broncos, but Mewhort is better and has more upside). But he'll be a good pro for us. Maybe we could have traded down and picked up an extra 5th, which we could have packaged to get back into the 4th round, but whatever. 

Clowney is going to be an edge rusher. The only time Mewhort will see someone like that -- if he's playing guard -- will be on a stunt, and his experience at tackle should help him pick up stunts effectively.

Also, because he has big, strong arms, he does a good job of catching rushers when he's not in perfect position or lets them into his body. That will lead to holding penalties, but it's only holding if it gets called, and a hold is better than letting the rusher disrupt the play or destroy your QB. 

I believe in Jack Mewhort. I had written him off because I didn't think we'd go with a lineman at #59 (still don't think we needed to; Mewhort is very similar to Michael Schofield from Michigan, who went at the bottom of the third to the Broncos, but Mewhort is better and has more upside). But he'll be a good pro for us. Maybe we could have traded down and picked up an extra 5th, which we could have packaged to get back into the 4th round, but whatever. 

Yes, please don't write these guys off, just because you've never heard of them/or wanted them. This guy's a good kid! Alot of upside and this is coming from a big Gabe Jackson fan. Jack is the jack of all trades. Something tells me, we're gonna need him to.

Clowney is going to be an edge rusher. The only time Mewhort will see someone like that -- if he's playing guard -- will be on a stunt

Okay, if you say so. But it sure looked like a lot of Guards were scrambling to pick up the whiff that Clowney put on the LTs he faced.

Okay, if you say so. But it sure looked like a lot of Guards were scrambling to pick up the whiff that Clowney put on the LTs he faced.

I think Mewhort will play RG, not LG. But wherever he is, if he has to pick up any edge rusher on an inside move, it won't be one on one with a superior athlete on the edge. It will be a tandem effort, with Mewhort playing clean-up, not getting cleaned up. It's much different to help on a pass rusher at guard, than to be solely responsible at tackle.

I like Mewhort....especially compared to a couple of the other recent pick ups during the offseason along the O Line the last couple years...With the exception of Thomas and Thornton, Was he the best O Lineman available in my opinion? No....I woul have liked Gabe Jackson but I think Mewhort is a solid pick with starting potential.....I dont see All Pro in his future or trips to Pro Bowls, I did find a couple of things watching film that I thought were glaring about him in a negative way though.......Strong upper body, Looks kind of thin from the waist down, He flashes the ability to drive block well but I wouldn't say he is elite in this by any stretch of the imagination....Also he has a lack of athleticism to consistently get up the second level and hit moving targets...especially when cut blocking

I don't get it. He faced elite pass rushers at tackle. He won't, at least not as much, at guard. I'm assuming he plays guard in the pros.

I could see Center to as a fill in, and RT, Dont move his feet well enough to be more then an emergency fill in at LT and I think I'd probably have Reitz over him as the immediate back up LT......If Reitz makes it through TC and cuts of course which I think he should be able to beat out Breckner and Louis

Didn't know Mayock ran the Colts. Colts app has him listed as an OT. You're wrong, just accept it

I said we wouldn't draft a C with the 59th pick and we didn't. End of discussion

No, you are wrong, for the 9802nd time. And it won't be the last. Stop acting like you know what you are talking about.

From draftbreakdown.com

GREAT PICK. Mewhort is one of the most underrated players in this draft. Some may shy away due to his average physical tools, but Mewhort does everything right. Functional strength is just fine. Mewhort is able to mirror any type of DL. I believe he can be very good at tackle, but will succeed at guard too. A first round talent, and one of the biggest steals of the draft so far. Well done.

I'm a former SEC guard (not too difficult to guess which team) and this fanbase seems to be bipolar.

To be fair, I don't think people minded the drafting of a offensive lineman, many just had not figured in Mewhort

Just a quick question.  This isn't the guy Khalil Mack tore up in the Buffalo vs OSU game is it?     

It is indeed.  Mike Mayock about that play -

"Then he (Mack) converted speed to power, where he used his inside arm and got up underneath both the right tackle and Jack Mewhort, the left tackle, who's probably going to go in the second round. He jacked Jack Mewhort off his feet like he weighed about 100 pounds."

I'm guessing the Colts took Mewhort Becuase they didn't expect the other guys to be there. They probably scouted him a lot more and liked his versatility at every online posistion for depth/starting

To be fair, I don't think people minded the drafting of a offensive lineman, many just had not figured in Mewhort

Not even i thought Mewhort here (mainly, because i thought he would be gone) . He's a similiar player to joel bitonio, with his ability to play the line. This gives the colt's some freedom to pick our front 5. We got a player, whom i thought wouldn't be available. That's pretty cool.

21isSuperman said G. Listed as OT. You're wrong. I said we will not draft a C, we drafted a OT who will be kicked into G obviously with Castonzo & Cherlius being our best 2 lineman.

End of discussion

*Walks into shadows*

Quote from Mike Mayock "there is a group of people in the league who think his (Mewhort) best position might be center.

There you have it. Word for word. The video is on YouTube.

We drafted someone who can play center so You were wrong. End of discussion.

I do not understand why anyone would question this selection.  He is versatile, meaning he COULD be called on to play any position on the O line.  With the injuries that always happen in the NFL, this is always a concern, having someone to put in the place of an injured player.  He is a quick study.  He played under two different systems at Ohio and still played at a high level.  Mayock likes this pick, and that in itself is unusual, for the talking heads to agree with a pick.   :goodluck:

Quote from Mike Mayock "there is a group of people in the league who think his (Mewhort) best position might be center.

There you have it. Word for word. The video is on YouTube.

We drafted someone who can play center so You were wrong. End of discussion.

C'mon man.  That is way out there and merely convenient to support the hill you are willing to die on.  It's a reflection of his versatility and he simply has more value because he can do so much.  Mewhort was not drafted to play center, nor did he take a college snap at center other than in practice.

get off of grigsons " big board". Bottom line is our o-line is still bad. And not to mention our d-line and secondary!!. I'm not saying he is a bust but we could of drafted him later ( I.e) traded down and got him as well as more picks. Or pick someone who is better.( Chris Borland, ealy, Preston brown, Marcus martin, mcgill,Gabe jackson, or brooks. My point is he is not the answer for the o-line and he's not any better than Thornton who is not a difference maker at all. I still don't understand the trade he made for Richardson we could have gotten a great player in this years first round but no grigson has to be special and different and trade for someone who we benched in the playoff games..odds are Ballard\bradshaw comes back and trent never sees the top of the depth chart again.. I hope that Trent proves me wrong but he ain't gunna get any better by us taking mewhort.. Somehow Ballard and Bradshaw found lots of room to run... But the number 3 overall pick can't?.. I'm just fed up with bad drafting. Was grigsons first draft good?... Yes I can agree with that but his drafts since then have been underwhelming to say the least.. But until you open your eyes and look for yourself instead of " in grigson we trust". #1 rule in life don't trust anybody!.. Rant off!!

Well for the love of god man, next year you'd better send your big board and scouting analyses to the colts front office so we can finally have a good draft!

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, May 11, 2014 - personal argument
Hidden by Nadine, May 11, 2014 - personal argument

I think Nix is overrated but he's better than this. 

Grigson has made us wait 24 full hours. And then he delivers us a turd.

How dare you call someone a turd. It's people like you that have kept me away from this message board for months. You have no class.

To all that don't like the pick: Go apply for a scout position with the colts. Then your opinion will matter. Losers.

I don't get it. He faced elite pass rushers at tackle. He won't, at least not as much, at guard. I'm assuming he plays guard in the pros.

What's to get? You said He's going to kick to guard, and as a result he won't have to deal with elite pass rushers. Now you may have misspoken. May have simply painted with too broad a brush when saying so. And that's fine, it happens. But for the sake of clarity I'm glad you walked that back a bit with your last comment.

Bottomline; whether at tackle or guard, he's going to end up facing some elite pass rushers. ;)

From draftbreakdown.com

GREAT PICK. Mewhort is one of the most underrated players in this draft. Some may shy away due to his average physical tools, but Mewhort does everything right. Functional strength is just fine. Mewhort is able to mirror any type of DL. I believe he can be very good at tackle, but will succeed at guard too. A first round talent, and one of the biggest steals of the draft so far. Well done.

Awesome!

Posted · Hidden by 21isSuperman, May 10, 2014 - response to hidden post
Hidden by 21isSuperman, May 10, 2014 - response to hidden post

How dare you call someone a turd. It's people like you that have kept me away from this message board for months. You have no class.

To all that don't like the pick: Go apply for a scout position with the colts. Then your opinion will matter. Losers.

Reading is a skill. Use it.

And with your huffy response to a single post, I'm sure you haven't been missed in you months of sabbatical, so feel free to resume at any time.

Good day, sir.

C'mon man. That is way out there and merely convenient to support the hill you are willing to die on. It's a reflection of his versatility and he simply has more value because he can do so much. Mewhort was not drafted to play center, nor did he take a college snap at center other than in practice.

Chuck said inside and could play center if Holmes is not healthy.

They picked him as a utility man and the fact that he can play center makes him more valuable to us, which is why we picked him.

He plays into the contingency plan if Holmes can't go, which is what I was guessing we might want.

I like the pick personally.  a tough, physical, competitive interior OLman with versatility is hardly something this team wouldn't welcome with open arms.

I don't get caught up in projections or rankings by fans/pundits.  I think I'll go with our GM and scouting staff over some angry 17 year old on a forum.

At first, i HATED this pick, but now, I sort of like it. Let me break this down.

I apologize if most of this has already been said, this is what my research has found

Versatility: He played EVERY position along the O-line, and played them all WELL! How many NFL caliber prospects can say that? Not many

Durability: I feel like this one needs to be bolded, so I'll do so. DURABILITY!!! ​He played in 49 out of 49 games in school. Let that sink in, he NEVER missed a game....EVER!! With our O-line in shambles due to injury, this guy can bring in something he haven't had in a long time: consistency

Leadership: He was voted a team captain by his peers, that says something about his character. This has "colts" written all over it

Overall, Grigson just drafted a young man who is going to come in, work his butt off, and become the best player he can be. Anywhere on that o-line they tell him to put the work in. He's mean, physical, and will put your butt in the ground if you mess up.

I like this pick! I can't WAIT to see him grind with the other big men on this team. Go get them Jack!

At first, i HATED this pick, but now, I sort of like it. Let me break this down. I apologize if most of this has already been said, this is what my research has found

Wouldn't researching the selection before you made a decision to "hate it" have been the basic-commonsense thing to do?

Hes not a second round player imo... could have grabbed Gabe Jackson. If we really wanted this kid we easily could have drafted him at 90 and taken Allen Robinson instead. Seems like we reach for lineman every year and they always turn out to be busts.

Hes not a second round player imo... could have grabbed Gabe Jackson. If we really wanted this kid we easily could have drafted him at 90 and taken Allen Robinson instead. Seems like we reach for lineman every year and they always turn out to be busts.

There is no way anyone could possibly know that mewhort would still have been on the board at 90

Oh and you're already calling Holmes and Thornton busts? How did you come to that conclusion?

I like Jack...he can play anywhere on the line and with Thomas possibly out for an extended time he may even start. We have had huge depth issues on our line and he should be a big upgrade for us. Funny I read through about 3 pages and the negativity over a guy that hasn't even made it to Indy yet we are willing to give a break to guys that have been in the league for 2 years and been unsuccessful. Goes to show if you aren't a skilled position player...you get no love...just point out the flaws.

Consider that Seattle drafted Britt at 64.  Do you really think Mewhort makes it past Seattle?