Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts draft Jack Mewhort, OL, OSU [Merge]

oldunclemark

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Polian has come out and said offensive line was his worst position to evaluate.  I would only want to hear what Polian says as a trivial point for this pick

True, but he still prob talks to a lot of football people.

I've heard "Grigson better fix the O-line before Luck gets killed" and now he does and we possibly have four starting caliber guards for when one or two gets hurt and you all hate the pick. Some want Grigson fired because Mewhort is a bust already and he hasn't even been a Colt for 10 minutes. Ridicuous isn't it? I like the pick, was hoping for Oline in the 3rd, but got it earlier which is better for me. I don't want Luck killed and know we're doomed with injuries.

Also, Nix is probably available for a reason. 

So much this!!

Wasn't even close, about 60 players rated better then him. I watched a lot of Ohio State games this guy is a 4th round prospect at best. I have no idea why we chose this guy over Terrence Brooks, Louis Nix, Gabe Jackson, David Yankey, or Pierre Desir. After this pick i think it confirms that Grigson isn't good at evaluating o-linemen.

The guy hasn't played a game yet and you already called him a bust.  I love reading posts like this, good comedy.

Players drop for reasons "we" will never know...

Health, drugs, personal....   ???

He did suffer a bad injury,...       Not a generic argument at all.    Simply stating what is becoming pretty dang obvious now.

Something is amiss. . 

How can both of my arguments be the most generic?

If you can't understand my point, that Nix obviously wasn't a better choice since no one has taken him yet, I'm going to have to just wish you well and move on.

Hope that wasn't too generic for you.

So, let me see if I'm getting this. Because every other team didn't pick Nix, and we picked Mewhort that means he's obviously the better player? Despite the fact that every other team passed on him as well?

Wow, you really don't get it do you?

They're still passing on Nix.

I'm done, please move on.

We have to like the pic cause u never know with constanzo being on his last yr if this guy has to step in and play lt etc....so we need to invest in oline till we get it right Andrew luck is the future of this team let keep drafting guys till we get it right to keep him upright

Logic is not allowed...   shame on you....  ;)

Too many people have spent too much time in fantasy football drafts.  So obviously drafting an offensive lineman is stupid and pointless and clearly because you haven't heard of him it was a wasted pick.  Give me a break.  We need to protect Luck and to do that we need to be able to run the ball, this pick is exactly what we needed.  You can't fill all your needs with one second round pick.  We filled one glaring need.  We still need a safety but absolute priority #1 is taking care of Luck.

Mayock projected him to start at guard for us this year.. Could be a good pick if Thomas isn't healthy or if out-plays Hugh

they should give Thomas a shot at center since he was our best oline and center is the worst spot on our team last yr it would be gud, with Thornton etc.....but u never know doe

Wasn't even close, about 60 players rated better then him. I watched a lot of Ohio State games this guy is a 4th round prospect at best. I have no idea why we chose this guy over Terrence Brooks, Louis Nix, Gabe Jackson, David Yankey, or Pierre Desir. After this pick i think it confirms that Grigson isn't good at evaluating o-linemen.

So because you think he's worse than what Grigson thought you are right and he is wrong? lol

I thought he said center. Can't rewind cause I am sitting here watching the Draft on my phone. Power is out in Eville due to storms tonight.

If I remember correctly, he said he can play all the positions, but he's best suited to guard.  I might be making a mistake though

True, but he still prob talks to a lot of football people.

Yeah, that's true

I didn't call him a bust, it's just that Grigson reached 2 rounds for him. He definitely won't be an all pro that's for sure. Mewhort would have been a good pick in the 5th but not with our 1st pick with so many needs on defense. Louis Nix and Terrence Brooks would have been great picks with better value. 

The guy hasn't played a game yet and you already called him a bust.  I love reading posts like this, good comedy.

YES..  I am a Buckeye..

and I will tell you this, dude can and HAS played EVERY position on the OL at one time or another.

And ESPN just said he played C in HS.    

This is our future C.    He is also a leader.    Team captain....  

If Indy isn't strong on the OL we may as well trade Andrew Luck now because he will get the hell beat out of him if the interior does not get A LOT better.   And it just did.

The guy will never be the starting center. He is 6' 6". He is a RT who will be pushed to develope as a Guard. Looks like a poor mans Castonzo. Oh boy! Taller than you like for a Guard, probably why they say he doesn`t anchor well against a bull rush.

And when they let Reitz go after this season, he can be our backup LT if he beats out Nixon for that Job. And logic says they drafted him because they don`t trust Nixon to get it done.

I didn't call him a bust, it's just that Grigson reached 2 rounds for him. He definitely won't be an all pro that's for sure. Mewhort would have been a good pick in the 5th but not with our 1st pick with so many needs on defense. Louis Nix and Terrence Brooks would have been great picks with better value. 

Stop stating things as facts. YOU think that he's reaching 2 rounds. It's an opinion. I trust Grigson and our scouts' opinions over your or some "expert's" opinion. And a safety could easily be available at 90.

So because you think he's worse than what Grigson thought you are right and he is wrong? lol

I love all the "draft experts" on here.  They are hilarious.  They watched the combine and listened to Mike Mayock talk about guys and all of a sudden they are experts talking about player grades, and projections.  Or they read an article on some website that said he should have gone in the 3rd and not the 2nd, maybe they even watch a YouTube highlight tape and are now experts.

I don't care for the pick, but to say Grigs reached before Mewhort has played a snap is silly imo

We have all complained for the past 2 years that our O-Line sucks. We get rid of Satele and McGlynn. It's time to get a great O-line FINALLY to protect Andrew. We just picked up a stud offensive linemen that could play guard and possibly center but we should be set with Holmes at center. It's all coming together guys!

Outside of the top picks in this draft I know nothing about anyone. I have no lists in front of me or rankings and have watched no tape like a pretend GM.

But, I gather our biggest needs were human bodies who could probably play on the o line or at safety.

So we got one o lineman. I can't complain until I see what he can do in the league and I am pretty pleased we got a position of need.

Grigson has drafted some really good players, but he's not good at evaluating o-linemen. Even going back to when he was with the Eagles, Mewhort was a major reach. I don't see him converting into C, he's 6'6. Stronger DT's would have leverage. We basically just drafted Cherilus backup because he's a RT.

I thought he said center. Can't rewind cause I am sitting here watching the Draft on my phone. Power is out in Eville due to storms tonight.

They did say something along the lines of, he may be better suited to play center.

I love all the "draft experts" on here.  They are hilarious.  They watched the combine and listened to Mike Mayock talk about guys and all of a sudden they are experts talking about player grades, and projections.  Or they read an article on some website that said he should have gone in the 3rd and not the 2nd, maybe they even watch a YouTube highlight tape and are now experts.

Yeah, it drives me crazy. I remember how Polian "reached" for Angerer because Street and Smith had him as a 4th rounder.  None of us fans, not Kiper, not Mayock know what the NFL personnel guys know.  You must accept that.

Funny people calling for Nix and Brooks but they're still on the board for a reason. But hey you guys are GM's of a Billion Dollar Football team.  :rollseyes:

These GM's are wrong more than they are right.....same guys passed on Larry Warford for 2.5 rds last yr

We have all complained for the past 2 years that our O-Line sucks. We get rid of Satele and McGlynn. It's time to get a great O-line FINALLY to protect Andrew. We just picked up a stud offensive linemen that could play guard and possibly center but we should be set with Holmes at center. It's all coming together guys!

I see it, you see it, but the majority here do not... I don't get it. Complain and moan about the o-line and when we start fixing it they still complain about it.

If Nix and Brooks are still available at our next pick would you still consider them better value?

Point being 31 other teams didn't consider them second round talent.

Grigson has drafted some really good players, but he's not good at evaluating o-linemen. Even going back to when he was with the Eagles, Mewhort was a major reach. I don't see him converting into C, he's 6'6. Stronger DT's would have leverage. We basically just drafted Cherilus backup because he's a RT.

You're crazy. Did you not hear them say he can play ALL POSITIONS ON THE O-LINE. Some people are never satisfied. 

Seeing what Houston has on that D line now. This is seeming like a pretty good pick to me now. Wasnt sure of it at first. But I looked him up and he looks pretty good. We need any help and or quality depth on the O line we can get. We know our luck with health up front. Not what I was really hoping for or expecting but I think its solid and makes us better.

He wasn't the gm in Philly. How do you know who he liked?