Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts draft Jack Mewhort, OL, OSU [Merge]

oldunclemark

Let's count the teams that didn't draft Nix...

Are they all wrong too? Must be nice to be the only smart one.

Tell me Nix isn't better than Mewhort.

I dare you.

Even if you believe that in your heart of hearts, it's wrong. 

There's gotta be some medical thing going on with Nix.  I saw some mocks where he was a top-20 pick.  I think a medical issue is what's bringing him down

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to give you that....has to be a reason with Vince W. in his latter days and coming off hurts that they didn't take Nix

I'll sit back..cant judge O-linemen until they play..and again..O-line is Grigsons specialty

That's all we can do my friend.  Sit back, watch, and hope for the best!  Watching more of Mewhort's film, I'm impressed with his tenacity.  We need more of that on the offensive line. 

Let's count the teams that didn't draft Nix...

Are they all wrong too? Must be nice to be the only smart one.

Again, most generic argument ever. 

"Everyone else didn't take him so there must be something wrong with him"

Ok, and no one busted the door down to draft Mewhort.

Now what's your point?

I have to give you that....has to be a reason with Vince W. in his latter days and coming off hurts that they didn't take Nix

I'll sit back..cant judge O-linemen until they play..and again..O-line is Grigsons specialty

I don't see any evidence that it is grigson's specialty

I don't like the pick at all. Khalil Mack and the entire Buffalo d-line dominated Mewhort when they played. He's a RT not a C, most scouts had him going in the late 4th early 5th. He's great against the run but average against the pass.

Terrence Brooks, Louis Nix, and Gabe Jackson were on the board. All were rated higher and would have been better options. Grigson reached about 2 rounds on this guy, RT is the last position we needed. We need better scouts because their giving the coaching staff wrong information.

There's gotta be some medical thing going on with Nix.  I saw some mocks where he was a top-20 pick.  I think a medical issue is what's bringing him down

They just talked about Nix on the NFL channel. Injuries mainly. We have enough of those kind of guys.

I love this pick.  We need to build a solid O line.  This is a good start.  Marvin said guard, although he played OT at Ohio State, so probably he will start at guard.  

Mewhort played Guard his 1st 2 years I believe.

Grigs went with Versatility. Now we have more than Nixon to develope as a RT/G and in a pinch, after Reitz gets hurt, someone who can play LT. Jackson couldn`t do that. 

I was thinking a G/C but they know more and are in charge of Long Term Planning. Best of luck to you Jack and welcome.

I don't like the pick at all. Khalil Mack and the entire Buffalo d-line dominated Mewhort when they played. He's a RT not a C, most scouts had him going in the late 4th early 5th. He's great against the run but average against the pass.

Terrence Brooks, Louis Nix, and Gabe Jackson were on the board. All were rated higher and would have been better options. Grigson reached about 2 rounds on this guy, RT is the last position we needed. We need better scouts because their giving the coaching staff wrong information.

Umm, Mewhort shut Mack down on the few plays they matched up.

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/jack-mewhort-vs-buffalo-2013/

He was the leader of an o-line that allowed Carlos Hyde to only get stopped for negative yards TWICE!!! In the entire season!!! Love it. Go grigson.

oh stop it there, you may make too much sense... 

let the people be upset over Grigs pick just because the pick wasn't on their radar...

Everything I see says he is late 2nd early third. And grigs doesn't have to listen to who everybody else likes. They're not always right.

Again, most generic argument ever. 

"Everyone else didn't take him so there must be something wrong with him"

Ok, and no one busted the door down to draft Mewhort.

Now what's your point?

How can both of my arguments be the most generic?

If you can't understand my point, that Nix obviously wasn't a better choice since no one has taken him yet, I'm going to have to just wish you well and move on.

Hope that wasn't too generic for you.

"better" in WHO"s mind?    Grigs or U?

They get paid to do this, we watch Mel Kiper and get PO'd when our GM passes on the  "top rated" player ???

I don't care WHO got...  as long as it was a C or G with a pulse....       and being a Buckeye is a plus.. 

Rock On INDY/...

Ok, I'll bite.

So then why didn't we take a better O-linemen with this pick, and this guy at 90, where he likely would have still been available?

Grigson out-thought himself here.

Wasn't even close, about 60 players rated better then him. I watched a lot of Ohio State games this guy is a 4th round prospect at best. I have no idea why we chose this guy over Terrence Brooks, Louis Nix, Gabe Jackson, David Yankey, or Pierre Desir. After this pick i think it confirms that Grigson isn't good at evaluating o-linemen.

Well, I thought we would go O-line with our first pick...But, was he the BPA ???

His flexibility is nice. A huge plus. But our first pick, and a second round pick for a guy we want to come in where we need a body?

Eh. We could have found that later. And I firmly believe Mewhort would have been around at 90.

Definitely other players like Mewhort, even if he wasn't there at 90. That's why I wouldn't have drafted a lineman at 59 period.

Too many people have spent too much time in fantasy football drafts.  So obviously drafting an offensive lineman is stupid and pointless and clearly because you haven't heard of him it was a wasted pick.  Give me a break.  We need to protect Luck and to do that we need to be able to run the ball, this pick is exactly what we needed.  You can't fill all your needs with one second round pick.  We filled one glaring need.  We still need a safety but absolute priority #1 is taking care of Luck.

How can both of my arguments be the most generic?

If you can't understand my point, that Nix obviously wasn't a better choice since no one has taken him yet, I'm going to have to just wish you well and move on.

Hope that wasn't too generic for you.

So, let me see if I'm getting this. Because every other team didn't pick Nix, and we picked Mewhort that means he's obviously the better player? Despite the fact that every other team passed on him as well?

Pagano and Grigson always want those "play to the whistle" type of guys. Jack Mewhort fits right in, I can see why they did that.

The difference between longevity in the NFL and being short lived in the NFL for talented players is effort that continues across years. From all that I am reading, he is that type of guy, truly blue collar type.

With a line in flux, they wanted a guy that could play multiple positions, and with doubts about Donald Thomas' health, I can see why they drafted him and they probably felt he won't be around for pick No.90.

Guy looks tough. As others have stated, he has long arms and a much needed mean streak on the interior of our line. He was the best lineman 2 years in a row on an O line that steamrolled everyone they played. He's versatile and may even be starting at left guard if Thomas isn't up to speed. A torn quad is a grousome injury. I'm hopeful but not expecting anything. Mewhort should be great depth that was much needed at the very least. I like the size and strength he brings to the table. Let's hope he can contribute right away. Go Colts!