Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Something that frustrates me every year

jhcutt

Why... Why don't the Colts ever go after any decent free agents? I know that we make players right out of college into great players, but why can't we just one year pick up a key guy out of free agency? I don't get it..

Hidden

Why... Why don't the Colts ever go after any decent free agents? I know that we make players right out of college into great players, but why can't we just one year pick up a key guy out of free agency? I don't get it..

Because they cost too much and we're a small market team.We can't afford to gamble and lose with a heavily invested free agent.And just because a guy might be a star in this league doesn't mean he will perform at the same level within the colts system.We develope our own,because they are cheaper and are a clean slate in the learning process of an nfl system.

Because they cost too much and we're a small market team.We can't afford to gamble and lose with a heavily invested free agent.And just because a guy might be a star in this league doesn't mean he will perform at the same level within the colts system.We develope our own,because they are cheaper and are a clean slate in the learning process of an nfl system.

Agree with most of your comments, except that with the new league minimum included in the new salary cap rules, there's no more real excuse of being a "small market team". This isn't the MLB. You don't think that Chad Ochocinco would have looked really good opposite Reggie Wayne, or that Reggie Bush would have looked good in the backfield?

Have you seen what they pay Manning? Thats why. We can't take gambles with that kind of cheddar being dedicated to one man. Signing big name FA's is a huge gamble. Much more so than signing an unknown hopeful. Unknowns get "unknown" money with little to nothing guaranteed. Its the guaranteed cash that makes a transaction that much riskier.

I too have been pining for a big name FA for years, but the money side of it never works out. We would need a guy thats willing to take less than his potential market value just to be a Colt and play with Manning. Randy Moss would be the prototype guy for this, save for his volatile persona.

Hidden

Agree with most of your comments, except that with the new league minimum included in the new salary cap rules, there's no more real excuse of being a "small market team". This isn't the MLB. You don't think that Chad Ochocinco would have looked really good opposite Reggie Wayne, or that Reggie Bush would have looked good in the backfield?

Chad doesn't fit us at all!However,i think reggie would be interesting for us to use.If we could get him on the cheap.He would give us a real threat at KR/PR and even be used as a change of pace back and slot WR.I would only consider this if addai isn't resigned.

the colts chargers pats and steelers don't go after big name free agents

it's rare for teams like that to do so with the GMs they have because FA hardly ever pays off when it's a big name (ask the redskins)

the winning formula for those teams is drafting well and making smart trades for meat and potatoes type of players

there was a league minimum in the old cba too

this isn't mlb lol, the cap minimum has been around for a while

every team spends to the cap, but some teams like to sign huge names as FA, and let other aspects of their team go without quality depth

also reggie bush sucks, the pass catching rb to go after would have been sproles...saints are smart

How does Reggie Bush suck? I wouldn't want him getting carrying the ball a lot, but definitely mix him into the pass game, and returning the ball... He's a definite X-factor.

How does Reggie Bush suck? I wouldn't want him getting carrying the ball a lot, but definitely mix him into the pass game, and returning the ball... He's a definite X-factor.

because he's too soft for the nfl

saints were smart, trade a player they were about to cut anyway, and upgrade for a guy who doesn't get hurt as much as bush, is tougher, and more of a playmaker

the colts chargers pats and steelers don't go after big name free agents

it's rare for teams like that to do so with the GMs they have because FA hardly ever pays off when it's a big name (ask the redskins)

the winning formula for those teams is drafting well and making smart trades for meat and potatoes type of players

Uh Oh.

I know where your coming from. I have been asking myself that for years. it is hard for a small market team to pick up big names. But I think if we could get reggie bush for a good price it would do wonders for our special team, which always suck.

The small market thing is complete crap. The only reasons we don't get big FAs is that Polian likes his own guys and he trusts himself a lot more than other people, and cap space. We don't have the space to sign our own players, so I don't understand how were supposed to sign other people's. That's the price you pay for having the best QB in history. These tactics have worked very well for us thus far, and why mess up a good thing. While at times there are players I wish we could have signed, I gotta realize that that's the reason I'm not the GM.

We don't have the space to sign our own players

which is why we should cut our big money scrubs like Diem and Hayden, then go sign some real players

That's the price you pay for having the best QB in history.

too bad no one else will consider him the best ever unless he gets another ring or two. which will never happen when he hogs all the money. he has the right to do that, but you cant feel bad for the guy when his team doesnt win

These tactics have worked very well for us thus far, and why mess up a good thing.

what do you mean they have worked?

Not to double uh oh, but what about Bob Sanders? He seemed pretty big to me! Small in person, but big in free agency!

sanders wasn't a big name signing, he's like an old horse who you're hoping can finish one more race

heck wasn't his contract for only 1 year with us in sd? lol

or 1 mill per year?

seriously, i wouldn't be shocked if he doesn't make it out of training camp....

as for the pats, the pats biggest free agent was adalius thomas in 2007

if you notice, the pats free agents are usually lesser known, or end of their line type guys who they try and get to buy into their humble disciplined system.

and don't bring up haynesworth randy moss or ocho stinko....those are trades, not free agents.....

when the pats got dillon and rodney harrison, they were on the scrap heap themselves

that's how the pats roll

chargers colts pats and steelers....make trades, draft well usually, and don't make a splash in Free agency....

small market isn't a legit excuse, as all teams have to spend within 10 mill of the cap

the fact is, the colts reward their guys, as do the pats chargers and steelers

but fans want it both ways

fans want their top guys to be paid well, they also want to make a free agent splash, and they want quality depth

usually you can only get a couple of those things at best.....

the other thing those teams have in common is high priced qbs

why do you think the redskins always make a free agent splash?....revolving door at qb......

what do you mean they have worked?

Don't even bother. Some people compare us to the rest of the teams in the league and say "We've been more successful than them, and that's fine."

Others look at our team and say "Yeah. We've been successful. But we've also underachieved when you consider what this team has been capable of for the past decade."

The two sides will never come together. One side considers the other "Spoiled, 'the sky is falling' fans" and the other side considers the others "Complacent with a severely sub-par post-season record."

TBH, we have one of the most disrespectful fanbases in all of football. Those in that first group look down on all the others as sub-standard people and treat them as such. Doesn't happen much on forums for other teams...

Not to double uh oh, but what about Bob Sanders? He seemed pretty big to me! Small in person, but big in free agency!

I think the point is that those teams don't go out a spend big coin in free agency. Those teams would not have spent big on other people's free agents like the J'ville did with Session. Sanders signed a one year, incentive laden deal with minimal exposure to SD if it does not work out. Big difference.