Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

*MOD NOTE* - How To Handle Personal Interactions In The Forum...

Peytongirl

PeytonGirl is the awesomest!!! :) :) JJ is just as cool :)

I have been privileged to see her moderation in action going way back at least 2 version modifications when "Phil from the burbs" was another of those mods, JJ started as a Pats fan on a Colts board then, almost a decade ago. JJ & PeytonGirl, I can vouch for both of them being some of the most level headed ones in the bunch. Btw, where the heck is "Phil"? At least we had a Bav sighting recently. :)

I just want to add that sometimes, posts are misunderstood.........and no offense was intended whatsoever and is not perceived by anyone else.

If you have a disagreement with someone over some post, try to work it out with them

Public personal feuds will be removed from the site and may result in suspension/termination of your account.

Don't carry a grudge or a chip on your shoulder over some past perceived wrong.

Do what you can and then move on.

1) Think before you post or read your post before you hit send. Don't react immediately. You can pop off in anger and regret it later.

I think we have all been guilty of this one before at one time (or two). ;)

Sometimes people try to bait you on a message board and then they want to turn around and report you for snapping back. I see that a lot on this board and others. The bad thing is that once a person gets banned for snapping back, the original instigator is busy piling it on. For years I have hesitated turning people in from the get go, but I have changed my stance on that now. I am hitting the report button as soon as someone even starts it from now on.

That's why moderators try to watch out for posters trying to bait other posters, no matter how subtle the bait.

It's very sad as well, when people can't let go of things and have to continue trying to bait others, years after some supposed offense. I see it all over the net myself. People who feel that they were wronged at some point, can't let go of it and keep pushing the envelope in an effort to bait others.

But, as you say BlueShoe, people need to report things when they occur. After all, as a moderator I can act when someone reports a problem. But, if something is not reported and I or another or our moderation team don't happen to see it, the problem will remain unresolved. It can be difficult though, as you say, when people are subtly skirting the rules, never quite stepping over the line. Sometimes, we all just need to have a slightly thicker skin and more forgiving attitude. But just like it is on the field in the NFL, do not retaliate. Sadly, it is often the retaliation that draws the flag.

• 1 month later...
Posted · Hidden by Nadine, March 13, 2012 - replying to deleted post
Hidden by Nadine, March 13, 2012 - replying to deleted post

What is that supposed to mean?

That does seem like a bizarre disconnected utterance, but I recall Maureen defending Lowe after he made his silly Tweets because she enjoys him on Parks and Recreation. I can only assume that he had a close encounter of some kind, and came to warn the rest of humanity.

At least I think it was Maureen.

He might have added that you don't "tug on Superman's cape" either. Probably more useful information.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, March 13, 2012 - baiting maureen
Hidden by Nadine, March 13, 2012 - baiting maureen

That does seem like a bizarre disconnected utterance, but I recall Maureen defending Lowe after he made his silly Tweets because she enjoys him on Parks and Recreation. I can only assume that he had a close encounter of some kind, and came to warn the rest of humanity.

At least I think it was Maureen.

He might have added that you don't "tug on Superman's cape" either. Probably more useful information.

Ok, ok, I laughed at Lowe's credibilty and had posts removed. The harder I laughed, the quicker they were removed. Finally served a one day suspension. And there was nothing vicious or even harsh about any of it. As you said "Superman's Cape" is a good analogy.

This season is a hard one for Colts' fans. That much is a given. We have some heated discussions about coaching, front office, QB injuries & backups, possible draft options, etc. Everyone has a viewpoint on all of these issues & more and all opinions are valid here on the fan forum because they are our opinions. However, there are times when a poster or perhaps a group of posters just get under your skin. Maybe they have an opposing viewpoint. Perhaps they tend to only post negatively and you are a positive person. They could even be a very contrary or even contradictory person (changes his or her story from thread to thread). They could be a new user or even new to the game and they ask what you perceive to be "dumb questions". They may even be the inciting/provocative type of poster who tend to bring out the worst in you and you just cannot help but react. What do you do? There are a few articles listed in the welcome thread about helpful hints that might be of assistance. But to just hit the high point, you might want to try a few of these tips: 1) Think before you post or read your post before you hit send. Don't react immediately. You can pop off in anger and regret it later. Posting a provocative or inflammatory response is just as harmful to the community as creating an inciting or trollish post. Be the bigger person and keep the peace. Don't use any reason AS an excuse for poor behavior. Rule violations are still rule violations and each poster is responsible for his or her own actions. Trolling and/or flamefests are not sport on this forum. 2) Use the IGNORE feature of the forum. It is not the easiest to use on this platform, but it is there and we can help you if you need assistance. But you can find this feature in "Your Settings", which can be found by clicking on your on profile/username found at the top right corner of the forum page. Then you will see a list of tabs on the left of your profile settings, including: Ignore The "ignore" tab allows you to configure your Ignore settings - you can choose to hide individual member's posts, signatures, chats, status updates, or other aspects of a member that you wish to hide.

*THE IGNORE FEATURE CAN BE YOUR FORUM BEST FRIEND*

Ignoring a poster who simply bugs you or who seemingly is only after attention (even negative attention) is the best way to deny them of their fun. If they are just here to wreck havoc, they will eventually go away. If they are a sincere poster, then they might adjust their posting style so as to harmonize with the group. Either way, it can be effective in a community. Most importantly, it also will keep you out of trouble. 3) Reporting actual rule violations. The report button is probably your second best friend in the forum. No one in the forum can tell when or who has reported a post, but the mod team will be alerted so they can review the issue and take appropriate action. Please do not report problems via PM. Please use the report function so that all mods may act together. 4) Please DO send a message to a member of the mod team if you have a personal question or an issue concerning moderation or a perceived lack thereof. Do NOT post such issues in the forum. 5) Please also do NOT create threads or posts simply to "call out" another poster (or mod), regardless of the circumstances. This is against the rules. Just don't do it at all. 6) Be sure to read and follow the rules regarding personal insults, attacks, name calling, etc. At the same time, posters are well-advised to recall that inciting and provoking are considered trolling. Flaming of all types is just not allowed here. We just want the forum to be a place where all fans can discuss their viewpoints and be able to debate without being attacked. There is a difference between disagreeing with and attacking a post or a thought and making it "personal" and attacking the poster/user. Be sure to distinguish the difference so that you aren't easily irritated or insulted or so that you don't make the mistake of crossing that line into 'personal shot' territory. This isn't playschool so we all have to have a bit of a thick skin as it is an internet forum. However, this is a family-friendly COLTS forum where all are expected to treat one another with respect and follow the rules. Please don't use this thread as a place to trash each other or me... rotflmao. I just hope to help everyone get along a little better and make the forum a bit more harmonious. We worked hard to get a real fan forum again and I know many of us truly missed our old one. This is a tough season, but we need to make it work and stick together. Thanks for listening. :grouphug: PG

Hey there - Did we introduce anything new like warning points?

• 1 month later...

Since I just opened this account it appears I can't start a new topic. However, am I the only one who noticed how bad the 2012 wallpaper is? Clearly it is entirely in error since it has us playing the Bears, Vikings, and Jags 5 times each this season. I made it my desktop before I even noticed. Hopefully they correct it, as I would like to have the real schedule as my desktop.