Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Better Scenario Than Drafting Luck

Say we get the first pick we trade that pick to a team that will make stupid trades such as the bengals who have two first rounders and we draft players such as alfonzo dennard or morris claiborne with the first first rounder that we get and draft someone like a brandon thompson or michael floyd with the other first rounder. Then we make another trade using our third rounder and trade that to the patriots for ryan mallett they already have a good back qb in brian hoyer and he was just drafted two years ago and then hopefully the polians can complete the draft with quality players that can be used now

Not too many teams have 2 first round picks in this years draft... the only team with 2 draft picks in the first round, and has one in the top 10 are the Browns, and the Browns trade for 1st rounders, they don't trade 1st rounders away.

Jake Long at LT.... and a defensive linemen *Paul Soliai or Cameron Wake* of my choice and we swap first round picks..where do I sign up for that deal? Long at LT, Castonzo at RT, and then we add a real NT to the team and get your first round choice, thats serious! The best option is to get a king's ransom for Luck!

Say we get the first pick we trade that pick to a team that will make stupid trades such as the bengals who have two first rounders and we draft players such as alfonzo dennard or morris claiborne with the first first rounder that we get and draft someone like a brandon thompson or michael floyd with the other first rounder. Then we make another trade using our third rounder and trade that to the patriots for ryan mallett they already have a good back qb in brian hoyer and he was just drafted two years ago and then hopefully the polians can complete the draft with quality players that can be used now

Lol, the Bengals.. you mean the 6-2 Bengals. The stupid Bengals that already have QB Dalton, and would be stupid enough to appease your dream draft scenario. At least think before posting.

yea the 6-2 bengals that have been inconsistent under this coaching staff and owner and has been voted as the worst organization in pro sports so yea i do know what im talking about they make dumb desicions just because they had one good draft out of the past decade doesnt mean they will continue to do the same things mike brown is an owner that will do anything to win and if he sees something at the top that they believe will help them such as another receiver or a lineman he will trade up

After watching how Luck looked at home last night, during the biggest game of his career to this point, against a terrible defense, I want nothing to do with him.

yea the 6-2 bengals that have been inconsistent under this coaching staff and owner and has been voted as the worst organization in pro sports so yea i do know what im talking about they make dumb desicions just because they had one good draft out of the past decade doesnt mean they will continue to do the same things mike brown is an owner that will do anything to win and if he sees something at the top that they believe will help them such as another receiver or a lineman he will trade up

Grammar...please...it hurts to read....

@Doogan- Yeah, all along I wanted nothing to do with him, but I am not sure if we want his value to be really high, because one of two things could happen: the best option would be the Colts get a King's ransom for him or his value is so high the Colts refuse to pass on him which I do not want it to be!

After watching how Luck looked at home last night, during the biggest game of his career to this point, against a terrible defense, I want nothing to do with him.

he might not be the next elway, but that's quite the over- reaction

i have no problem with drafting luck i just dont want to be stuck in a position like how we are now again id just rather have a good all around team because as good as peyton is if we had at least a top 15 defense we would be at least in the conference championship every year i believe that we can get ryan mallett from the pats for a 3rd or 2nd rounder if we trade down from the 1st overall

I watched Luck play yesterday and he rminded me of Manning ... Saddled with a brutal defense and left having to out score the other team that shreds the defense at will. Also lots of dropped passes. The pick six was all on the receiver, not Luck.

All that being said, I am not 100% sold on Luck, but he did nothing to turn me off in yesterday's loss. My hope remains, though, that Manning comes back for another 4 years and the Colts get a boat load in trading the first over all pick.

Come on he is not that bad, but I definitely don't want the colts to draft him anyways. The loss is probably good for him because the hype and expectations need to be lowered.

Yeah because Luck gave up 53 points..

And Peyton had a couple awful games against the Gators...just sayin'.

i have no problem with drafting luck i just dont want to be stuck in a position like how we are now again id just rather have a good all around team because as good as peyton is if we had at least a top 15 defense we would be at least in the conference championship every year i believe that we can get ryan mallett from the pats for a 3rd or 2nd rounder if we trade down from the 1st overall

contrary to what colt fans think, having a high priced qb and a good defense aren't mutually exclusive. nobody forced the colts to draft a bunch of undersized defensive players or waste two first round picks on running backs.

True, but there wasn't even remotely close to this much hype around Peyton Manning when he was at Tennessee. It would be good for Andrew Luck if the expectations went down.

It would be good for Luck but not for us. I don't want the trade value of that pick going down. :D

Yeah of course Manning is going to be fine with the Colts taking whatever they want with their draft picks, just because he is the face of the organization doesn't mean he thinks he has any voice in what is best for the team and organization going forward. It also doesn't mean they are going to draft Luck number one overall Todd! Your gonna look real silly when they trade back from the first pick, or don't select Luck. If your holding the article about what Peyton said to such a high standard.. what about the one where he said he thinks a number one overall pick should start day one and he would leave the Colts to allow this? Or the one where Polian said Manning will be back and the starter next year? Or the one where Irsay said we will not be taking a QB in round one?

Sorry to break it to you again. We aren't trading that pick. DId you not hear the news article today that Manning was even Okay with us taking that pick?

Your right we won't be trading the #1 pick, we'll be trading the #2 pick hahaha ;)

And I can imagine Peyton Manning going out in public and saying that he doesn't want the colts to draft Andrew Luck... yeah right.

Yeah of course Manning is going to be fine with the Colts taking whatever they want with their draft picks, just because he is the face of the organization doesn't mean he thinks he has any voice in what is best for the team and organization going forward. It also doesn't mean they are going to draft Luck number one overall Todd! Your gonna look real silly when they trade back from the first pick, or don't select Luck. If your holding the article about what Peyton said to such a high standard.. what about the one where he said he thinks a number one overall pick should start day one and he would leave the Colts to allow this? Or the one where Polian said Manning will be back and the starter next year? Or the one where Irsay said we will not be taking a QB in round one?

I bet Peyton has more say in draft decisions than you think. We drafted 2 OT's in a row last year... and I'm sure Peyton said something before the draft about it to Polian and/or Irsay.

I bet Peyton has more say in draft decisions than you think. We drafted 2 OT's in a row last year... and I'm sure Peyton said something before the draft about it to Polian and/or Irsay.

it was obvious to stevie wonder that the colts needed line help.

There is a lot of trade our pick talk on here but the Colts rarely engage in the kind of wheeling & dealing that some fans here are fantasizing about. They are not the Patriots who are masters of trading and acquiring additional draft picks. It's just not how the Colts generally have operated. Consider that during the year when we drafted Edgerrin over Ricky Williams, many fans felt that we could have conceivably traded down, picked up some additional draft picks and still got Edgerrin. Alot of teams were hot for Ricky at the time. However, we opted to take Edge at our normal slot, and the team behind us promptly traded their pick to Ditka and the Saints for the motherload of picks. We didn't trade down because we felt by doing so we might not get the player that we wanted so we just took him upfront. The Colts have their own way of doing things and trading for pick after pick doesn't really fit into their modus operandi. Not saying they shouldn't still consider it just that they haven't shown a propensity to do this in the past.

There is a lot of trade our pick talk on here but the Colts rarely engage in the kind of wheeling & dealing that some fans here are fantasizing about. They are not the Patriots who are masters of trading and acquiring additional draft picks. It's just not how the Colts generally have operated. Consider that during the year when we drafted Edgerrin over Ricky Williams, many fans felt that we could have conceivably traded down, picked up some additional draft picks and still got Edgerrin. Alot of teams were hot for Ricky at the time. However, we opted to take Edge at our normal slot, and the team behind us promptly traded their pick to Ditka and the Saints for the motherload of picks. We didn't trade down because we felt by doing so we might not get the player that we wanted so we just took him upfront. The Colts have their own way of doing things and trading for pick after pick doesn't really fit into their modus operandi. Not saying they shouldn't still consider it just that they haven't shown a propensity to do this in the past.

I don't like how the Patriots trade back, they may aquire extra picks and stuff, but they haven't used them very well and have left glaring needs on their team.

I am fine with staying at the current pick and drafting players who fit at that slot. It all depends on the situation and trading back fits what we should do if we have a top 3 pick this year. Getting 1 early and 1 middle first round pick and an extra early 2nd round pick is better for us than having the #2 overall pick. The value is about the same based on the trade value chart, but with no player filling a major need in the 1st 3 picks, it is better for us to address our other weak spots on this team.

Jake Long at LT.... and a defensive linemen *Paul Soliai or Cameron Wake* of my choice and we swap first round picks..where do I sign up for that deal? Long at LT, Castonzo at RT, and then we add a real NT to the team and get your first round choice, thats serious! The best option is to get a king's ransom for Luck!

That is not nearly enough compensation for the # 1 pick, especially one with the projected greatness of Luck.

You think Manning needed to tell Polian that an upgrade at OT was in order?

I don't want Manning having any say on personnel matters. I would guess that would be Manning's sentiment as well.

You think Manning needed to tell Polian that an upgrade at OT was in order?

I don't want Manning having any say on personnel matters. I would guess that would be Manning's sentiment as well.

I find this statement very funny. Are you one of the people on here who wants Peyton to become the head coach when he retires? A head coach has a lot to say with the personnel matters and with who gets drafted.

I find this statement very funny. Are you one of the people on here who wants Peyton to become the head coach when he retires? A head coach has a lot to say with the personnel matters and with who gets drafted.

Don't know what is so funny about it. I find those who think Manning will be a head coach to be simply wrong. Not sure what that has to do with the thread but there you go.

I understand a head coach's role with drafting players and other personnel decisions but if you notice, Manning is not the head coach.

Don't know what is so funny about it. I find those who think Manning will be a head coach to be simply wrong. Not sure what that has to do with the thread but there you go.

I understand a head coach's role with drafting players and other personnel decisions but if you notice, Manning is not the head coach.

I was just wondering if you were one of the people on this forum who think that Manning should be the head coach. It would be funny if you wanted him too be the coach while not wanting him to affect personnel decisions as the quarterback. He would be a major factor in personnel decisions as the head coach.

A. Manning is going to give us 3-4 more solid years.

B. (If Manning is done or the Colts Organization thinks he is done AND they don't want to pay the 28 million roster bonus next year...)

OPTION A.

RD 1: Draft Luck (Trade to Miami or Washington for their next three RD 1 picks.

RD 1: Draft Barkley...Trade Barkley to Washington or Seattle for 2 RD 1 picks and a RD 2...

RD 1: Draft Clayborne CB or Kirkpatrick CB or Martin OT or Kalil OT (From Miami/Washington)

RD 2: Draft Decastro G

RD 2: Draft Barron SS (From WASH/SEATTLE)

RD 3: Draft BEST Available...

RD 4: Draft BEST Available...

RD 5: Draft BEST Available...

(3 RD 1 Picks) (From 2012 Luck/Barkley and our normal RD 1)

2014 ****DRAFT QB****

(2 RD 1 Picks) (From 2012 Luck and our normal RD 1)

Back to Normal (Peyton Retires)

OPTION B.

RD 1: Draft Andrew Luck QB

RD 2: Draft Decastro G or Konz C

RD 3: Best Available...etc...etc...etc...etc...

A. Manning is going to give us 3-4 more solid years.

B. (If Manning is done or the Colts Organization thinks he is done AND they don't want to pay the 28 million roster bonus next year...)

OPTION A.

RD 1: Draft Luck (Trade to Miami or Washington for their next three RD 1 picks.

RD 1: Draft Barkley...Trade Barkley to Washington or Seattle for 2 RD 1 picks and a RD 2...

RD 1: Draft Clayborne CB or Kirkpatrick CB or Martin OT or Kalil OT (From Miami/Washington)

RD 2: Draft Decastro G

RD 2: Draft Barron SS (From WASH/SEATTLE)

RD 3: Draft BEST Available...

RD 4: Draft BEST Available...

RD 5: Draft BEST Available...

(3 RD 1 Picks) (From 2012 Luck/Barkley and our normal RD 1)

2014 ****DRAFT QB****

(2 RD 1 Picks) (From 2012 Luck and our normal RD 1)

Back to Normal (Peyton Retires)

OPTION B.

RD 1: Draft Andrew Luck QB

RD 2: Draft Decastro G or Konz C

RD 3: Best Available...etc...etc...etc...etc...

This is a convoluted mess in 2 threads.

This is a convoluted mess in 2 threads.

Really? Nothing is "convoluted" when speculation or simple conjecture is involved...that is what these forums are about. "Convoluted" Just laying out a best case guess man... Both Colts rookie lineman are ailing...Manning is hurt... defense is struggling... So aside from using our projected draft position to improve...ie draft luck trade luck draft barkley trade barkley to gain additional picks...what is so convoluted about being an optimist? I don't think Claiborn or another CB is off the radar...Nor do I think Kalil or Martin OT is a crazy possibility... RD 2 Decastro (G) or Konz © --Saturday is getting old as well. Barron SS...Hmmm maybe a stretch OUR SS and FS do get hurt...often. "Convoluted" is to harsh for speculation... 6 more games... hang in there.

And with this, i can't wait to see you cringe in April 2012 when we do select him. :D Guess you'll have to find another team to root for.

Your right we won't be trading the #1 pick, we'll be trading the #2 pick hahaha ;)

And I can imagine Peyton Manning going out in public and saying that he doesn't want the colts to draft Andrew Luck... yeah right.

You want to come back to me in April 2012 and tell me I'm wrong. I dare you. And yes i was correct, Manning has already said that he is fine with the Colts selecting Luck. He knows not only how the games are played but how this game is played.

So what you're saying is that the Bengals are so stupid that they are going to trade up to our #1 draft pick in order to get QB Luck, even though their QB Andy Dalton has a good chance of getting them in the playoffs.... or.. because they are that bad of an organization that they will instead stop at nothing to get their desired receiver or lineman with that #1 pick? Are you seriously going to stick with that story?