Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Worst case texans draft?

I remember the topics early on in the offseason about if clowney or bridgewater would be the worst pick for the colts. Now with it looking like teddy may fall would them getting both be the worst possible scenerio for the colts? If not what would?

I think the worst possible case for the Colts would be the Texans drafting Clowney and him living up to his potential.  If you want to play him at DE or OLB, Clowney and Watt form a scary duo on defense.  They could take safer guys (ie. Mack), but Clowney's potential is higher.

Let me see, hmm.  What about this: Houston trades down with Atlanta and picks up Khalil Mack, who turns out to be NFL defensive rookie of the year.  With the first pick in the second round, they get Teddy Bridgwater, who proves that his bad pro day was a fluke and he wins Offensive ROTY.   Then, with the second round pick acquired from Atlanta, they pick Demarcus Lawrence, who takes to playing OLB like a duck to water and teams with the rejuvenated Brian Cushing and what's his name their defensive end to become the NFL's top ranked defense, which carries them to the divisional championship and then a win in the Super Bowl.  If I think of anything worse, I will let you know.

Khalil mack would be worst case scenario for the Colts.

Clowney would be best case scenario.

I also think someone like Blake Bortles (who I believe is a poor man's Andrew Luck) getting drafted by the Texans and actually becoming as good as Luck would give us problems for the next 10-15 years.

I'm praying they take clowney and don't trade down. With 11 picks, they are going to get stronger and close the gap a bit. Hopefully they don't take Mack or get a franchise QB in round 1. It's a lot to ask though.

And then in the offseason after their Super Bowl win, Subway decides to make a commercial starring all Texans so the whole next season we have to watch J. J. Watt, Teddy Bridgewater, Khalil Mack and Demarcus Lawrence grinning and chomping down on footlong sub sandwiches.

And then we're all sitting around in the retirement home and a guy walks up and says, "Hey, you all're from Indianapolis, right?  Any of you remember Andrew Luck?  He was such a good quarterback and I always thought it was sad he never won anything.  Of course, his team was stuck in the same division as the Houston Texans with all those Hall of Famers."

Houston is no real threat until they get a QB and I don't believe there is an NFL ready QB in this draft. 

They may win some games probably split with us on the short week  but no QB no winning for the long haul. Foster had heart problems then back surgery, He will be 28 when the season starts his best days may be in the rear view window. Johnson will be 33 they have Hopkins who is electrifying but Case Keenum is the QB They lost Tate and Daniels to FA. I am not sure what they are going to do on Offense.

If Houston adds to the defense with that No. 1 pick, its bad news for the Colts ....they have to match up with Indy and down the road, that wont be trying to outscore them.

Houston was very good defensively last season...with either of the top two defensive players...they could be better..

..and they could get a QB in round two or by trade

Worst case scenario in my opinion is they get an elite defender in the first and- here's the key to it all- Teddy B falls to 33. He's way better than 33 and if they managed to take a player to improve their defense AND get Bridgewater it would break my heart. Praying someone takes him, I can't buy the media hype that he's not good.

High on the assignment list for the Texans is to stop Andrew Luck. Second is to draft the best player in the draft and that player is Downey period. Their back up QB's even though they WILL draft a QB are not a sorry lot. Look at Seattle's defense and adding Downey the Texans could be a brick wall.

Worst case scenario in my opinion is they get an elite defender in the first and- here's the key to it all- Teddy B falls to 33. He's way better than 33 and if they managed to take a player to improve their defense AND get Bridgewater it would break my heart. Praying someone takes him, I can't buy the media hype that he's not good.

^This... Just a couple months ago before Bridgewaters stock started falling a lot of mocks had Houston picking him or Manziel #1.

Now for them to get Clowney or Mack and get Bridgewater in the second would be huge for the Texans.

If this happens and everyone stays healthy the Texans will have the best defense in the AFC. And a potential franchise QB.

I remember the topics early on in the offseason about if clowney or bridgewater would be the worst pick for the colts. Now with it looking like teddy may fall would them getting both be the worst possible scenerio for the colts? If not what would?

I would say Mack followed by a good QB in the 2nd round.

"Worst case" Texans draft in my opinion:

1.) Jadeveon Clowney DE South Carolina- best pass rusher in the draft, no doubt in my mind he had a down year to protect his NFL future

2.) Cody Latimer WR Indiana - can you imagine having Johnson, Hopkins, and Latimer? Great WR trio to force other teams to defend, choose your mismatch. 

3.) Zach Mettenberger QB LSU - in my opinion he is the second best QB in the draft behind Bortles, I imagine that O'Brien could really help develop his game over the course of a year while also giving time to fully let the knee heal; he would start in year 2

4.) Jack Mewhort OT Ohio State - versatile lineman that could play multiple spots on the line, including center 

4.) Jerick McKinnon RB Georgia Southern - need a backup RB, would be a nice complement to Arian Foster

5.) Justin Ellis DT Louisiana Tech - big nose tackle to add to the defense

6.) Avery Williamson LB Kentucky - depth at ILB

6.) Charles Leno OG Boise State - depth on the offensive line

7.) Keith Wenning QB Ball State - underrated QB prospect, more competition at the spot, could surprise

7.) AC Leonard TE Tennessee State - past issues may cause him to drop, reminds me a little of James Casey who was a versatile player for the Texans in the past 

I think the biggest worry we colt fans have is that the Texans get good qb play from here on out. They already have a talented roster that's going to get more talented from this years draft. We just need for them to swing & miss on the qb. whether its a rook or veteran.

If they draft a QB and he actually become a franchise QB

That is a risk in this draft. I think if the thing I would fear the most is that they take Clowney and he lives up to the hype and move up in the draft to take Derek Carr. I am sure the name Carr worries them but I think that is the QB I would fear them getting.

Clowney will play OLB per the Texans coach staff. Right now all in H town think Clowney will be #1-we will see in a few hours.

Polin was saying this morning the team that gets Manzeil will build the team around him. This contradicts the "making him a pro pocket passer" ideas.

Worst case for Houston is they fail to make a pick in time and forfeit the first selection.

Worst case for us would be something like Houston drafts Clowney and gets Bortles with Second rd pick and both work out to be better than advertised. Then Jacksonville drafts Mack and in the second gets someone like Carr and they both work out. Finally Tennessee drafts Watkins, Locker somehow gets healthy and better, and say Fuller falls to them in the second. Basically if all these teams hit with their first and wait for a qb to fall later and those qbs become solid would be the ideal for them.

Worst worst case for us with Houston? Cleveland gets nervous..thinks Rams are taking Johnny football and they want him...they trade up giving up both first rd picks this year and next two years. Houston then gets Mack who is as adverstised, at 26 they get Bortles and he lives up to billing, at 33 they trade and then rack up more picks and address DL/Secondary....hitting all along the way with talent. That would be frightening...and of course Johnny sucks and Cleveland gives Houston first pick in the draft in 2015 and 2015....that would be nightmare! I'm not worried about Atlanta moving up...any future picks would likely be late 20's....but if a crappy team moves up..say Raiders or Cleveland and they get their picks...those could likely be top 5 picks in the coming future. That would be scary...and they still might get a guy like Mack or Watson and later a solid qb that helps them.