Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Seahawks send agents undrafted free-agent brochure

YOUR GM

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000347154/article/seahawks-send-agents-undrafted-freeagent-brochure

I don't know how common this is throughout the league but I thought this was awesome. The fact that the Seahawks have the philosophy of fielding the best team, even if that means admitting draft mistakes and releasing them, is one thing. For them to actually put together a brochure to lure agents of undrafted free agents is genius. If there will ever be a modern day dynasty again in today's league, something tells me that organization will be the one who produces it

Here's a direct link to the brochure: 

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/photo/2014/05/06/0ap2000000347146.pdf 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000347154/article/seahawks-send-agents-undrafted-freeagent-brochure

I don't know how common this is throughout the league but I thought this was awesome. The fact that the Seahawks have the philosophy of fielding the best team, even if that means admitting draft mistakes and releasing them, is one thing. For them to actually put together a brochure to lure agents of undrafted free agents is genius. If there will ever be a modern day dynasty again in today's league, something tells me that organization will be the one who produces it

Here's a direct link to the brochure: 

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/photo/2014/05/06/0ap2000000347146.pdf 

I'm sorry.......   what did I miss?

Which draft picks did they cut and admit mistakes on?

I'm not trying to yank your chain here....   I'm unaware of high ranking picks they've cut?     They've been drafting fabulously under their new regime....

As to their brochure....   very smart....   not surprised,  Carroll has always been an outside the box thinker that way.   He and Schenider, their GM,  are very progressive.     That's a very well run organization.

I look forward to your answer.....

I'm sorry.......   what did I miss?

Which draft picks did they cut and admit mistakes on?

I'm not trying to yank your chain here....   I'm unaware of high ranking picks they've cut?     They've been drafting fabulously under their new regime....

As to their brochure....   very smart....   not surprised,  Carroll has always been an outside the box thinker that way.   He and Schenider, their GM,  are very progressive.     That's a very well run organization.

I look forward to your answer.....

I didn't say anything about "high ranking picks" being cut. I'm using the same language that was used in the brochure. The answers you want are on pages 6 and 8 of said brochure. They've cut 2 4th rounders and 2 5th rounders the same seasons they were drafted since the new regime was put in place. That's not 1st or 2nd round value but it's still a significant move to part with a 4th rounder in the same season. Imagine if we cut Khaled Holmes last year, for example

I didn't post this article for any agenda, I just thought it was interesting

Edited by 21isSuperman

great find HBA... it is a good read and makes you stop and ask like you said are we doing something similar... seems like we have some simular stats in a couple areas and looks like we are in the top 10 across the board...

the one thing I have said is Carroll has/had a leg up .. he knew alot of their picks through his college years including the UDFA... He had inside depth info on many of them... it will be interesting to see how he does in about 3/4 years   after he has had a few years out of the personal knowledge of college.. i know he will still have ties, but it shouldn/t be nearly as deep

Posted · Hidden by 21isSuperman, May 7, 2014 - personal argument
Hidden by 21isSuperman, May 7, 2014 - personal argument

Look, you're really starting to get on my nerves now. For someone actively seeking to "avoid" me, you're sure doing a terrible job at it. I didn't say anything about "high ranking picks" being cut. I'm using the same language that was used in the brochure. The answers you want are on pages 6 and 8 of said brochure. They've cut 2 4th rounders and 2 5th rounders the same seasons they were drafted since the new regime was put in place. That's not 1st or 2nd round value but it's still a significant move to part with a 4th rounder in the same season. Imagine if we cut Khaled Holmes last year, for example

I didn't post this article for any agenda, I just thought it was interesting..... so stop trying to argue with me 

I made the most innocent and straight forward post I could.

I even went out of my way to write "I'm not trying to yank your chain here"....   I wrote that "I was unaware of players that they cut"

My bad for calling it high ranking.   But I was completely sincere in my post.    Completely.

And you come unglued.    Completely.

I only engaged because you said you were willing to keep engaging with me.    Apparently not.

Fine.    I'm done.

Pretend I don't post here it all.    We won't miss each other.

Posted · Hidden by 21isSuperman, May 7, 2014 - personal argument
Hidden by 21isSuperman, May 7, 2014 - personal argument

I made the most innocent and straight forward post I could.

I even went out of my way to write "I'm not trying to yank your chain here"....   I wrote that "I was unaware of players that they cut"

My bad for calling it high ranking.   But I was completely sincere in my post.    Completely.

And you come unglued.    Completely.

I only engaged because you said you were willing to keep engaging with me.    Apparently not.

Fine.    I'm done.

Pretend I don't post here it all.    We won't miss each other.

My mistake. You have a habit of adding on to what I say and I thought you were just trying to nitpick again. I didn't understand what you were confused about, as what I said was stated almost exactly the same in the brochure. If you sincerely didn't know what I was referring to, then once again, my mistake for assuming you were being argumentative.

We can interact, just please stop embellishing things I say. It wasn't anything egregious, but given our brief history here, I'm sure you can understand why I might misinterpret that as you trying to nitpick again  

Grigson in his presser spoke of going to see potential UDFA, sometimes in the middle of nowhere, to show real interest and to build relationships.

Hmmm! Pretty classy way to do it, IMO. That, or a brochure?

Grigson is good at finding gems in unlikely places,, and he's definitely a closer in terms of getting his man... but how do you know Seattle doesn't visit their UDFA prospects as well?

Ok here is my question.  

Seahawks show that last year that 36.2% of the UDFA's that they signed remained with the team for at least one pre-season game. 

Indy is way down there at like 15%.

So what's up with all these UDFA's that are signed but arn't even there for a single pre-season game?  There arn't any mandatory cuts before the first pre-season game right?

Before seeing this I would have thought that most UDFA's remain with the team for at least one pre-season game.  

Can anyone explain this to me?

Also the "admiting draft mistakes" bit is kinda silly.  No one considers a 6th or 7th rounder that doesn't make the team a draft mistake.  6th and 7th rounders really don't even have that much of a leg up on a UDFA in terms of investment the team has made on them.  

It seems to me that most of these statistics are incidental but the Seahawks just put together the ones that looked good in order to attract the top UDFA's to their club.  It may work but I don't think they really have any better opportunity there then anyplace else.  

For example Indy's at the bottom of UDFA's who stick around for at least one pre-season game.  But at the top of number of games played by players who where on the practice squad at one point.  

Reason we had so many games played by PS players is injuries.  Not because we have some great love of giving our practice squad dudes a chance that the rest of the NFL doesn't have.

Grigson is good at finding gems in unlikely places,, and he's definitely a closer in terms of getting his man... but how do you know Seattle doesn't visit their UDFA prospects as well?

I use a wejjee board to find out a lot of this stuff. LOL

Grigson said our board has been set for awhile and that this additional time HAS been used very much so for just this subject.

HBA, Pete (who I get a kick out of) and his crew are working tirelessly on their favorite UDFA prospects and their Agents because finding a few GEMS is a Huge deal. They Know they are out there.

I use a wejjee board to find out a lot of this stuff. LOL

Grigson said our board has been set for awhile and that this additional time HAS been used very much so for just this subject.

HBA, Pete (who I get a kick out of) and his crew are working tirelessly on their favorite UDFA prospects and their Agents because finding a few GEMS is a Huge deal. They Know they are out there.

Indeed. Big bang for your buck. What else do their statisticians have to do during the offseason....they don't have to total yards or penalties....hey put together a glossy brochure with our marketing department....BAM!! Super cheap and you reach out to a wide audience. Even if they have shown the numbers that make them look good they have a culture there. A culture where late rounders make the most of themselves and one of opportunity to play if you succeed. But lets be honest here...the fact that Seattle drafted a Richard Sherman in the 5th round doesn't impress me a ton. Fact is if they knew he was going to be that good they would have taken him in the first rd....they didnt...they did see some things that they liked and the kid did the rest. I do believe there are teams out there that don't give some guys a fair shake because of the money being paid etc and I think Seattle for the most part has a great culture of being a players place to play between fans, coaches, and GM..I don't think a smart agent is going to fall for a brochure. They are going to send their player to the team that has need at his position. That said even if it lures 1 guy that works out....totally worth it. More than anything...just makes the organization look attractive...like they have their act together.

Indeed. Big bang for your buck. What else do their statisticians have to do during the offseason....they don't have to total yards or penalties....hey put together a glossy brochure with our marketing department....BAM!! Super cheap and you reach out to a wide audience. Even if they have shown the numbers that make them look good they have a culture there. A culture where late rounders make the most of themselves and one of opportunity to play if you succeed. But lets be honest here...the fact that Seattle drafted a Richard Sherman in the 5th round doesn't impress me a ton. Fact is if they knew he was going to be that good they would have taken him in the first rd....they didnt...they did see some things that they liked and the kid did the rest. I do believe there are teams out there that don't give some guys a fair shake because of the money being paid etc and I think Seattle for the most part has a great culture of being a players place to play between fans, coaches, and GM..I don't think a smart agent is going to fall for a brochure. They are going to send their player to the team that has need at his position. That said even if it lures 1 guy that works out....totally worth it. More than anything...just makes the organization look attractive...like they have their act together.

It is classy and Pete would make sure the Agents that had sent him guys who made the Brochure, Free copies, and ... be hoping this is the start of a beautiful relationship. :goodluck:

Very good move very the seahawks, sort of wish we did something like this! Although this does benefit other teams as well as the seahawks and it gives other teams an opportunity to have a look at UDFA that they didn't pick up and if they don't make the active roster then they have a better chance of making another teams roster or PS