Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Would you trade for Brock Osweiler?

oldunclemark

Folks throw around a lot of crazy stuff the days before the draft.

But follow me here.

I have assumed that the 'Big O' would replace Peyton Manning when he retires.

But one fact suggests he wont.

Manning is in the 3rd year of  5-year contract while Osweiler  is in the 3rd year of a 4-year deal.

Osweiler will be a free agent before Manning is which means he may never play for Denver.

If you are looking for a QB, you had Osweiler rated highly 2 years ago... but you have greater rebuilding needs..Cleveland, Houston, Minnesota,Oakland...etc

..would you switch No.1s with Denver to get a shovel-ready prospect who's been in training for the last two seasons?

any thoughts?

Osweiler, in the limited time they have given him, has stunk. I am not sold on him.

Playing behind Peyton would be like Curtis Painter part 2, without enough reps.

Osweiler did well in theone  half he played last season.....and doesn't Cleveland have 2 picks?

They would not give up the pick,..they would switch with Denver...and still have 2 plus a QB..that's the scenario

Odds are Osweiler isn't Curtis Painter..and he may be better than anyone coming out

not the same. hes been in the league

obviously..we know why he hasn't played...you are getting a guy who is ready to start..

...Osweiler was drafted No.2

..the idea is...that you liked him when he came out. Obviously, if you didnt you would consider this..

Denver needs that Alabama  linebacker more than they need a backup QB and they'd give up their No. 2 as well because they are in a win-now mode

obviously..we know why he hasn't played...you are getting a guy who is ready to start..

...Osweiler was drafted No.2

..the idea is...that you liked him when he came out. Obviously, if you didnt you would consider this..

Denver needs that Alabama  linebacker more than they need a backup QB and they'd give up their No. 2 as well because they are in a win-now mode

please. denver will never win anything

The Curtis Painter references are completely nonsensical.

Painter was drafted 201st in a draft that featured the following:

1 1 Matthew Stafford QB Georgia Detroit Lions 1 5 Mark Sanchez QB USC New York Jets 1 17 Josh Freeman QB Kansas State Tampa Bay Buccaneers 2 44 Pat White QB West Virginia Miami Dolphins 4 101 Stephen McGee QB Texas A&M Dallas Cowboys 5 151 Rhett Bomar QB Sam Houston State New York Giants 5 171 Nate Davis QB Ball State San Francisco 49ers 6 174 Tom Brandstater QB Fresno State Denver Broncos 6 178 Mike Teel QB Rutgers Seattle Seahawks 6 196 Keith Null QB West Texas A&M St. Louis Rams 6 201 Curtis Painter QB Purdue Indianapolis Colts

Osweiller was drafted 57th in a draft that featured:

1 1 Andrew Luck QB Stanford Indianapolis Colts 1 2 Robert Griffin QB Baylor Washington Redskins 1 8 Ryan Tannehill QB Texas A&M Miami Dolphins 1 22 Brandon Weeden QB Oklahoma State Cleveland Browns 2 57 Brock Osweiler QB Arizona State Denver Broncos 3 75 Russell Wilson QB Wisconsin Seattle Seahawks 3 88 Nick Foles QB Arizona Philadelphia Eagles 4 102 Kirk Cousins QB Michigan State Washington Redskins 6 185 Ryan Lindley QB San Diego State Arizona Cardinals 7 243 B.J. Coleman QB Tennessee-Chattanooga Green Bay Packers 7 253 Chandler Harnish QB Northern Illinois Indianapolis Colts

The only thing Osweiler and Painter have in common is Peyton. A much better comparison to Painter would be Harnish. Anyone who actually expects either one of them to ever come remotely close to being a franchise QB clearly has no knowledge of where franchise QBs come from. You can only "develop" so much. This is one of the reasons that I defend Painter, because people talk about him as if he was a "bust" without noting that he seriously out performed most of the QBs drafted before him.

Osweiler in contrast was drafted ahead of a pro-bowl alternate and a super bowl winner - both of whom are already considered by many to be franchise quarterbacks - and he's two years YOUNGER than either.

He's also a few months younger than Savage, only a year older than Bortles, and is physically bigger than either one. He's vastly more mentally stable than Manziel yet reasonably mobile, and lacks some of the unpleasant question marks attached to others. He just hasn't played much for one reason and one reason only - Peyton. NONE of the QBs drafted in 2012 - or perhaps EVER for that matter - would have seen the field in that circumstance either.

In other words, I keep hearing that this is a pretty questionable (if not lousy) QB class. The potential of any given pick always seems enormous. Then you attach a name to it and realize you're stuck with Mark Sanchez or JaMarcus Russell. It's perfectly reasonable to think that Osweiler might be as good a prospect (and/or a safer bet) than anyone coming out this year. He might be worth MORE than a swap of first round picks to the right team. Who knows - certainly not any of us.

I'm not defending the kid as if I'm a fan of his - I've hardly even seem him play because preseason bores me to tears. However he clearly has some value, and I'd LOVE to see the Broncos trade him. It's not like I want to see him play for the Broncos. That only happens the same moment my interest in the team drops off a cliff.

If you didn't like him enough when he was 2 years younger why use more to get him now?

again..if you didn't like him..you wont consider this..obviously...

But if you DID...he's less of a gamble than most QBs available Thursday

...There are always a lot of mediocre QBs drafted because they're new..this year is no different

The Curtis Painter references are completely nonsensical.

Painter was drafted 201st in a draft that featured the following:

1 1 Matthew Stafford QB Georgia Detroit Lions 1 5 Mark Sanchez QB USC New York Jets 1 17 Josh Freeman QB Kansas State Tampa Bay Buccaneers 2 44 Pat White QB West Virginia Miami Dolphins 4 101 Stephen McGee QB Texas A&M Dallas Cowboys 5 151 Rhett Bomar QB Sam Houston State New York Giants 5 171 Nate Davis QB Ball State San Francisco 49ers 6 174 Tom Brandstater QB Fresno State Denver Broncos 6 178 Mike Teel QB Rutgers Seattle Seahawks 6 196 Keith Null QB West Texas A&M St. Louis Rams 6 201 Curtis Painter QB Purdue Indianapolis Colts

Osweiller was drafted 57th in a draft that featured:

1 1 Andrew Luck QB Stanford Indianapolis Colts 1 2 Robert Griffin QB Baylor Washington Redskins 1 8 Ryan Tannehill QB Texas A&M Miami Dolphins 1 22 Brandon Weeden QB Oklahoma State Cleveland Browns 2 57 Brock Osweiler QB Arizona State Denver Broncos 3 75 Russell Wilson QB Wisconsin Seattle Seahawks 3 88 Nick Foles QB Arizona Philadelphia Eagles 4 102 Kirk Cousins QB Michigan State Washington Redskins 6 185 Ryan Lindley QB San Diego State Arizona Cardinals 7 243 B.J. Coleman QB Tennessee-Chattanooga Green Bay Packers 7 253 Chandler Harnish QB Northern Illinois Indianapolis Colts

The only thing Osweiler and Painter have in common is Peyton. A much better comparison to Painter would be Harnish. Anyone who actually expects either one of them to ever come remotely close to being a franchise QB clearly has no knowledge of where franchise QBs come from. You can only "develop" so much. This is one of the reasons that I defend Painter, because people talk about him as if he was a "bust" without noting that he seriously out performed most of the QBs drafted before him.

Osweiler in contrast was drafted ahead of a pro-bowl alternate and a super bowl winner - both of whom are already considered by many to be franchise quarterbacks - and he's two years YOUNGER than either.

He's also a few months younger than Savage, only a year older than Bortles, and is physically bigger than either one. He's vastly more mentally stable than Manziel yet reasonably mobile, and lacks some of the unpleasant question marks attached to others. He just hasn't played much for one reason and one reason only - Peyton. NONE of the QBs drafted in 2012 - or perhaps EVER for that matter - would have seen the field in that circumstance either.

In other words, I keep hearing that this is a pretty questionable (if not lousy) QB class. The potential of any given pick always seems enormous. Then you attach a name to it and realize you're stuck with Mark Sanchez or JaMarcus Russell. It's perfectly reasonable to think that Osweiler might be as good a prospect (and/or a safer bet) than anyone coming out this year. He might be worth MORE than a swap of first round picks to the right team. Who knows - certainly not any of us.

I'm not defending the kid as if I'm a fan of his - I've hardly even seem him play because preseason bores me to tears. However he clearly has some value, and I'd LOVE to see the Broncos trade him. It's not like I want to see him play for the Broncos. That only happens the same moment my interest in the team drops off a cliff.

This is what I'm saying MAC...thank you...

This comes from a story in the Denver Post....where they suggest that Osweiler is NEVER going to play for Denver because Peyton doesnt let himself get hit and hurt and his deal ends after 2015....He's gong to be anxious to play and he's been ready for a shot,,

He is big and awkward at times but he is strong and he stands and delivers..

I dont know if he can be a winning QB but he's been in a learning situation for 2 years that certainly has prepared him for a shot more than guys just coming into the league.

Its not farfetched to me..

I get what you did there with "shovel-ready".

I would go with the Colts 5th for him. Just sayin'.

rebuilding...shovel-ready....too cute?

You wouldn't do it to get  backup..you want an old proven guy for that.

..and Houston has the No,.1 overall..they wont..

But if you've Cleveland and you need more than a QB.....take a guy who's been studying under Manning and still end up with 2 draft choices

Its the kind of deal that gets made on draft day

rebuilding...shovel-ready....too cute?

You wouldn't do it to get  backup..you want an old proven guy for that.

..and Houston has the No,.1 overall..they wont..

But if you've Cleveland and you need more than a QB.....take a guy who's been studying under Manning and still end up with 2 draft choices

Its the kind of deal that gets made on draft day

Cleveland can get Watkins or Evans, and still get a Bortles, Carr, or any of the next tier lower QB's with their other #1 pick from us.  They're all that close right now.

Your scenario gives them Osweiler and 3 late 1st, early second round picks.  No gamebreaker/impact player.  Just a bunch of above average potential.

Cleveland can get Watkins or Evans, and still get a Bortles, Carr, or any of the next tier lower QB's with their other #1 pick from us.  They're all that close right now.

Your scenario gives them Osweiler and 3 late 1st, early second round picks.  No gamebreaker/impact player.  Just a bunch of above average potential.

True...unless Osweiler is better than average after 2 years of prep...

I would not suggest Cleveland is going to give up the top pick...but they would be insane to take a QB with the 4 pick...

...They're buying pig in a poke....we just dont know that Carr, Bridgewater, Bortles or even Manziel are above average....or ready from day-one..

Neither may be true.... we've just been glazed with ESPN and NFL-Net hype for them for months now..

....Osweiler has been prepped to start for 2 years.... I think he's ready now... ...and all you'd do is switch from a 26 to a 31 - late 1st rounder

again....Its the kind of deal that gets made on draft day

True...unless Osweiler is better than average after 2 years of prep...

I would not suggest Cleveland is going to give up the top pick...but they would be insane to take a QB with the 4 pick...

...They're buying pig in a poke....we just dont know that Carr, Bridgewater, Bortles or even Manziel are above average....or ready from day-one..

Neither may be true.... we've just been glazed with ESPN and NFL-Net hype for them for months now..

....Osweiler has been prepped to start for 2 years.... I think he's ready now... ...and all you'd do is switch from a 26 to a 31 - late 1st rounder

again....Its the kind of deal that gets made on draft day

I don't think any of the QB's in this draft are above ( NFL ) average (overall, all things included).  But if they had Osweiler in trade, the remaining picks should very well be.  Would Denver move from 31 to 26 and give up Osweiler?  Is Osweiler better than Hoyer?  Is any QB in 2014 going to be better than Osweiler in the near future?  These are the things real GM's get paid, or fired over.  :)

Johnyy Manziel is the closest thing to making it into the fist round, for me.  He has  talent, but lacks size, has some past character issues (even more important in your QB) and concerns about long term durability with his style of play. a couple others make round 2, the rest of those mentioned ar 3rd round  chance takers- hoping to hit pay-dirt,  Wilson-esque style.  So where does Osweiler fit?  I don't know...

Here me out: If Peyton will retire soon and they have a 1st round worthy qb on a rookie deal, then why trade him? Oh because he sucks, and no team should be even glancing in his direction. He's the next Curtis Painter.

You clearly didn't watch him play in college

Did you figure that one out all by yourself? You must be silly if you'd give up a 1 for this clipboard holder.

Thanks for your analysis. Do you think maybe the reason he hasnt played is because he is behind a hall of fame qb? Perhaps?

Without really knowing how well they've progressed since being drafted, I'd be more tempted to go after Cousins or Barkley than Osweiler.  Osweiler has the size but, at least after watching them in their final college seasons, I thought Cousins and Barkley were more polished passers than big ol Brock.

I think the reason he wasn't traded is because he is a bad qb who looked bad every time he has played in the NFL. I didn't say anything about his playing time.

Every time he has played? He has thrown 20 passes in the nfl. Also, maybe he hasn't been traded because the broncos aren't trying to trade him

Here me out: If Peyton will retire soon and they have a 1st round worthy qb on a rookie deal, then why trade him? Oh because he sucks, and no team should be even glancing in his direction. He's the next Curtis Painter. 

Because Peyton is healhier now than he was 2 years ago..and he's not going to retire...he just said he's not

Understand (again) that If Peyton plays three more years..Brock O will be a free agent..and will be gone without Denver getting anything 

That's their motivation here...after 4 years of not playing Osweiler is not going to resign..with Denver to not play a 5th year

Washington isn't giving up Kirk Cousins with RGIII's knee..

I'd rather have Barkley than Osweiler.,.I agree...But Cleveland has 2 No,.1s..the rams have 2 No. 1s...

They'll probably be dealing for something

Folks throw around a lot of crazy stuff the days before the draft.

But follow me here.

I have assumed that the 'Big O' would replace Peyton Manning when he retires.

But one fact suggests he wont.

Manning is in the 3rd year of  5-year contract while Osweiler  is in the 3rd year of a 4-year deal.

Osweiler will be a free agent before Manning is which means he may never play for Denver.

If you are looking for a QB, you had Osweiler rated highly 2 years ago... but you have greater rebuilding needs..Cleveland, Houston, Minnesota,Oakland...etc

..would you switch No.1s with Denver to get a shovel-ready prospect who's been in training for the last two seasons?

any thoughts?

Matt Flynn comes to mind when I read this for some reason. 

Had one good game, and everyone went bananas for him paying him all sorts of jack, and that's exactly what they got out of him. 

That's what you do with rookie QBs like Manziel, too....

You're married to that guy..and you cant just dump him like they did Trent Richardson

Cleveland definetly did some wheeling and dealing.... 

Wonder if they got the right guy, though