Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tyler Brayton, Remember Him?

Fx Stryker

Just now on ESPN Polian was talking about the 2003 draft. Apparently Dungy wanted Tyler, but both Jim and Bill wanted Dallas.

Tony's plan was to have Tyler as our LE, and move Robert to the weak side linebacker.

I wonder why they didn't try this in 2011 when Tyler was brought in. Not a lot I thought it was interesting hearing about some of our drafts.

Tony wasn't there in 2011, so that could be why they didn't try that out.  We had Larry Coyer running the defense, and I guess he didn't see things the same way Tony did.  I'm glad we took Dallas though.  Say what you want about Polian's attitude towards the media or fans, or his salary cap management, but his eye for talent was incredible.

The Clark pick was a mistake. Tamme proved that.  A number of quality defensive players were available. Looks like Dungy had a miss as his target unfortunately.

Jason Whitten would have been fine with our 2nd round pick.

What does Tamme have to do with Dallas Clark? They were drafted five years apart...

Tony wasn't there in 2011, so that could be why they didn't try that out.  We had Larry Coyer running the defense, and I guess he didn't see things the same way Tony did.  I'm glad we took Dallas though.  Say what you want about Polian's attitude towards the media or fans, or his salary cap management, but his eye for talent was incredible.

I've been trying to say that for two years....

But if you read some of the posts here they'd have you believe Polian got one pick right and that was Peyton Manning and that was obvious, so they give him not much credit.    Otherwise,  they think this team was Peyton and 21 other guys and Polian couldn't find real talent with a compos, a map and a flashlight.

The hate some here have for Polian is staggering....

Say what you want about Polian's attitude towards the media or fans, or his salary cap management, but his eye for talent was incredible.

Yes, Bill's track record for drafting both HOF & ProBowl talent in Buffalo, Carolina, & INDY as a whole is a monumental achievement. I respect Dallas Clark & I always will. 

I just could never forgive Bill for hiring his son as the Colts GM with no real credentials in that arena. I can get past Bill's passive/aggressive relationship with media personnel who questioned his decision making once in awhile, but not family nepotism pure & simple. 

But if you read some of the posts here they'd have you believe Polian got one pick right and that was Peyton Manning and that was obvious, so they give him not much credit.    Otherwise,  they think this team was Peyton and 21 other guys and Polian couldn't find real talent with a compos, a map and a flashlight.

The Polian butt kissing that goes on is also staggering.....not talking about you by the way.

The Clark pick was a mistake. Tamme proved that.  A number of quality defensive players were available. Looks like Dungy had a miss as his target unfortunately.

Dear God...

By any definition, Clark was a very good pick and key player on some outstanding Colts teams.

The Polian butt kissing that goes on is also staggering.....not talking about you by the way.

I have great respect and admiration for Polian.   But I've also said that sooner or later everyone wears out their welcome and Polian clearly had.    Irsay wanted a new vision and a new approach and I give him great credit for a guy who has delivered a different more aggressive approach.

Finding a good GM is much, much harder than it seems, and I think Irsay has found another very good GM.

So, while I think Polian was great in his time,  eventually the time had come for him to go.....   believe me,  I get that....

You're saying Brayton would have been a miss?  Who's to say if he'd have come here he wouldn't have had a better career?  Actually I think that could have worked out very well.  Brayton was pretty versatile as a 4-3 lineman.  He had 2 sacks for us in 2011 and I'm pretty sure both came from him lining up as a DT in the Nickel front.  He's one of those guys that can play at DE on running downs and move him in on passing downs.  Then they could have dropped Mathis from WILL down to LDE on passing downs.  It's intriguing (but pointless) to think about.

Dear God...

By any definition, Clark was a very good pick and key player on some outstanding Colts teams.

The difference between Tamme and Clark was remarkable.  Tamme had nowhere near the football speed that Dallas had, it was obvious watching them running routes.

LOL

Loved Clark while he was here he and Manning had an impeccable connection. 

Indeed....we don't go to the SB in 2009 without Dallas playing at the level he did. He was our best offensive weapon that year....AND in the SB.

But if you read some of the posts here they'd have you believe Polian got one pick right and that was Peyton Manning and that was obvious, so they give him not much credit. Otherwise, they think this team was Peyton and 21 other guys and Polian couldn't find real talent with a compos, a map and a flashlight.

14 years with the colts, and 12-4 or better for 12 years and 1-1 with SBs is staggering. Quitting the game against the jets in our undefeated season was staggering.

14 years with the colts, and 12-4 or better for 12 years and 1-1 with SBs is staggering. Quitting the game against the jets in our undefeated season was staggering.

To this day that still bothers me too ICF. Bring out the pitch forks & torches. Only Kidding! It does get under my skin a little bit. Yes I know, what's done is done & you can't cry over spilled milk I get it, but man that hurt. 

Is "staggering" the word of the day? I must have fell asleep in class. LOL! I kid; I kid. 

I wonder why they didn't try this in 2011 when Tyler was brought in. Not a lot I thought it was interesting hearing about some of our drafts.

Obviously, as mentioned before, Dungy wasn't here then, but I think even Dungy wouldn't have done that then. Brayton wasn't the player he was projected to be and the Mathis that would be changing positions in 2003 was an entirely different defensive end in 2011 than he was projected to be the year he was drafted, 2003.

The Clark pick was a mistake??  I don't get where you come up with that comment. Had it not been for Gonzo who played for Kansas City, Clark would have made the pro bowl all but 1 year he was a Colt. One of those pro bowl years that Gonzo was sent to the pro bowl Clarks numbers were as good or better. Given the fact the Clarks had to share catches with the likes of Harrison and Wayne along with a couple of other great players he was a great TE. Even in the twilight of his playing days he still made big plays when called upon.

To this day that still bothers me too ICF. Bring out the pitch forks & torches. Only Kidding! It does get under my skin a little bit. Yes I know, what's done is done & you can't cry over spilled milk I get it, but man that hurt. 

Is "staggering" the word of the day? I must have fell asleep in class. LOL! I kid; I kid. 

Reading some of the posts make me stagger.

Is this turning into a Polian thread again?  Guys and Gals....Ding Dong...the witch is dead.

Outr attn. should be thrown toward Fat Larry Coyer, the Cover 2 (Nobody Destroyer):  Known mostly for the coney dog record in the booth.  Too lazy to be on the field....

coyer.JPG

coneys1.jpg

Reading some of the posts make me stagger.

Is this turning into a Polian thread again?  Guys and Gals....Ding Dong...the witch is dead.

Outr attn. should be thrown toward Fat Larry Coyer, the Cover 2 (Nobody Destroyer):  Known mostly for the coney dog record in the booth.  Too lazy to be on the field....

coyer.JPG

coneys1.jpg

Oh no, Larry Coyer has returned. Usually, I am behind whoever INDY employs on their coaching staff except when Mr. Coyer eats chili dogs. haha Stupid I know, but it's a joke between Brent & I that will never die completely.

It is almost always skewed

Yes, it most certainly is PT. If the word skewed typically refers to bias or blurred vision on average, does that just mean more people need to clean their glasses to "see the light?" Just messing around PT. ;)

No need to answer my friend. SW1 is just being sarcastic. Okay, I promise I will behave myself now.