Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2011 Draft: A Cautionary Tale for QB-Needy Teams....

Your suggestion of " QB-needy team's" passing on these guy's do not help our cause. The more bums taken early...the better. Then the colt's can possibly snag a first round type talent in the ladder part of round 2. I'm all for the texan's picking teddy, the jag's picking logan and the titan's picking A.J. DEAR GOD,...I HOPE SO.

Your suggestion of " QB-needy team's" passing on these guy's do not help our cause. The more bums taken early...the better. Then the colt's can possibly snag a first round type talent in the ladder part of round 2. I'm all for the texan's picking teddy, the jag's picking logan and the titan's picking A.J. DEAR GOD,...I HOPE SO.

On this issue,  we agree.

I've long said here that I'll be happy any time another team selects a player at a position we don't care about.     And QB is clearly one of those.

On that point,  you and I clearly are on the same page!    :thmup:

On this issue,  we agree.

I've long said here that I'll be happy any time another team selects a player at a position we don't care about.     And QB is clearly one of those.

On that point,  you and I clearly are on the same page!    :thmup:

I apologize for being snippity with you. I've logged alot of hours with forming my mock (i've posted my final one, so you can have a look, if you wish. I think we trade down with either atlanta or washington with our 3rd pick, and obtain their 4th and 5th. We could probably get their 6th or 7th as well, but i don't think they'll budge though). I think many people misunderstand you to a degree.

I don't understand why Gabbert was picked so high.  

First time I heard of him was when Iowa was playing Missouri in a bowl game.  He had a really good game statistically but threw a game losing interception in the 4th quarter.  (A really bad one too, the CB was standing right in front of his receiver and he threw it anyways.)

Even though he had a good game it was painfully obvious if you where watching that he was a product of the spread.  It looked like all he did was drop back, make one quick read and if that wasn't there he would run up the middle.  (Something Iowa's defense never seemed to be able to stop.)  

I apologize for being snippity with you. I've logged alot of hours with forming my mock (i've posted my final one, so you can have a look, if you wish. I think we trade down with either atlanta or washington with our 3rd pick, and obtain their 4th and 5th. We could probably get their 6th or 7th as well, but i don't think they'll budge though). I think many people misunderstand you to a degree.

Accepted.

And I apologize as well.    I will try and frame my responses to be less patronizing or less insulting.

Honestly,  I don't mean it when they come across wrong.

I'm not here to upset or offend anyone.    I just try to share information.

With my background in the media that's really all I am....   an information guy.    I try to find the best info I can find and share it here with friends.    I leave it up to the reader to accept it or reject it.

I'm too old to fight about stuff here!     I'm here to support the Colts,  Andrew Luck,  Grigson and Pagano,  any other Stanford guys on the team and the nice people who are fans of the Colts!

That's it......  honestly!       :thmup:

Accepted.

And I apologize as well.    I will try and frame my responses to be less patronizing or less insulting.

Honestly,  I don't mean it when they come across wrong.

I'm not here to upset or offend anyone.    I just try to share information.

With my background in the media that's really all I am....   an information guy.    I try to find the best info I can find and share it here with friends.    I leave it up to the reader to accept it or reject it.

I'm too old to fight about stuff here!     I'm here to support the Colts,  Andrew Luck,  Grigson and Pagano,  any other Stanford guys on the team and the nice people who are fans of the Colts!

That's it......  honestly!       :thmup:

Okay, then your opinion on jerick McKinnon, zach moore and ryan hewitt...............

Do you see ryan as a U.R.F.A.?

Okay, then your opinion on jerick McKinnon, zach moore and ryan hewitt...............

Do you see ryan as a U.R.F.A.?

I've got to run around like a mad-man today,  but I promise to get to your three guys a little later...........

I appreciate you asking......

I've got to run around like a mad-man today,  but I promise to get to your three guys a little later...........

I hope all three are colt's shortly (with ryan being a P.R.F.A.) . I would be thrilled! I love both ryan and jerick and zach has grown on me, i must admit.

The problems is not the players themselves but where they are picked

Yep. Some guys get it, some don't.

How many chances does Ponder need to prove something? Same with Gabbert. At least Gabbert had some defense of instability at OC.

Locker is probably the better of this bunch, IMO, and he was actually doing real well statistically before he got hurt in terms of limiting turnovers and winning games during the earlier part of last season. Out of the 3 QBs, the only one that deserves a second chance is Locker, IMO.

Yep. Some guys get it, some don't.

How many chances does Ponder need to prove something? Same with Gabbert. At least Gabbert had some defense of instability at OC.

Locker is probably the better of this bunch, IMO, and he was actually doing real well statistically before he got hurt in terms of limiting turnovers and winning games during the earlier part of last season. Out of the 3 QBs, the only one that deserves a second chance is Locker, IMO.

Agreed these guys were thrown into situations where no QB could have been productive

I've already mentioned there isn't a guy I'd take in round one, but I'm a Colts fan and not a GM so I don't need one.  Unfortunately, there are a few teams that do.  Guess what, their GM/HC know without one, they're not winning anyway.  So they'll be pressured into getting theirs, much earlier than they want, nor more sane folks believe.

QB is full of mid tier QB's.  Manziel and Bortles seem to be a cut above the rest, but Sustainability is Manziel's ?? and Bortle's needs a year on the bench to iron out the few kinks left in his game.  All the others are another notch down, IMO.  Bridgewater might be a level up on rest of Carr, Garappolo, McCarron, Mettenberger, Tajh Boyd, Logan Thomas, Aaron Murray, etc...

Teams will take these guys, and one is hoping it is the next diamond in the rough find. If not on the Brady level, at least on the Russell Wilson level.  Most of these guys will bust out of the league, or be career journeyman backups, bouncing around the league.  But there might be a solid QB, if not a pro bowler or two, that develops, and nobody really knows who, if any, he/they might be.  But if a team needing a QB doesn't give one a shot, they have no chance anyway.

IMO, QB will drive a team to choose a player earlier and out of grade more than any other position. It will continue to do so. To the Colts and other teams with franchise level QB's benefit. But chances are, one or two of these teams will get value down the road, and most won't. But they will try.

There is gonna be QB's in the draft taken in the 1st or early 2nd that in a draft with a clear cut franchise QB or two (such 2012) all these QB's would be 2nd rounders or later, Only QB I would even consider in the top 10 is Bortles I think

The guys that take a fall in round 1 (like Big Ben, Rodgers) and the ones going in rounds 2 or later (Brady, Brees, Kaepernick, Wilson) generally have a chip on their shoulder. So, a team is actually doing a disservice by overdrafting a QB that should not go in round 1, IMO.

Then, once they get their chance, those QBs with chips on their shoulder have a limited window of time to seize the moment and the ones mentioned above did so. Others (countless examples) did not.

First, you need a coach that believes in you and next, you need to show them you are trustworthy as quickly as possible and establish consistency by constantly growing. Then, when surrounded with the right talent, your team can achieve great heights. Guys like Elway, Peyton, Eli, Luck are few and far between as far as top 3 QB picks that end up doing real well in the NFL for a LONG time. You will have a few 1 or 2 year flashy success stories like a Vince Young, Sam Bradford etc. but chances are, you'd get them more hungrier if you got them a tad later. Just my :2c:

The key is, if you are going to draft a QB early, give them everything you can to help them succeed with a D, running game and TE support and a stable coaching staff at least for 3 years, IMO.

Love all three of them.   Would be happy if we could come away with all three, but I certainly don't expect it.

McKinnon is a very draftable running back.   Tested through the roof at the combine.    If we could steal him late, I'd spend a 6 on him,  but I think he goes sooner than that.

Moore is from a tiny school,  but the scouts have found him....   I'm seeing grades anywhere from 4th round to 6th....   so this feels very much like a Grigson pick.    He'd be a DE for us and he'd have to gain at least 15 pounds to reach 285...  but it looks like he can...   

And Hewitt I've written about....   I'd prefer to get him as an undrafted FA, but you never know...  he's the 2nd or 3rd rated TE.

I'd like him for the Colts, because he has a background as a tight end and then has played fullback the last 3 years.   So, he could be the Colts 3rd string TE and back-up FB.     One player filling two key spots is a big plus.     So, I'm hopeful on Hewitt.

Nice choices, BK...           :thmup:

p.s. -- I haven't forgotten about Dowling....   hopefully before the night is out...   but you might not see it until the morning....

Love all three of them.   Would be happy if we could come away with all three, but I certainly don't expect it.

McKinnon is a very draftable running back.   Tested through the roof at the combine.    If we could steal him late, I'd spend a 6 on him,  but I think he goes sooner than that.

Moore is from a tiny school,  but the scouts have found him....   I'm seeing grades anywhere from 4th round to 6th....   so this feels very much like a Grigson pick.    He'd be a DE for us and he'd have to gain at least 15 pounds to reach 285...  but it looks like he can...   

And Hewitt I've written about....   I'd prefer to get him as an undrafted FA, but you never know...  he's the 2nd or 3rd rated TE.

I'd like him for the Colts, because he has a background as a tight end and then has played fullback the last 3 years.   So, he could be the Colts 3rd string TE and back-up FB.     One player filling two key spots is a big plus.     So, I'm hopeful on Hewitt.

Nice choices, BK...           :thmup:

p.s. -- I haven't forgotten about Dowling....   hopefully before the night is out...   but you might not see it until the morning....

I agree, i think the only way we get McKinnon is if we trade back and gain additional picks. I'm in favor of trading back our third, for a 4th and a 5th. The middle of this draft is solid across the board and a real meat and potatoes type of draft class...one i'm sure grig's loves.

I agree, i think the only way we get McKinnon is if we trade back and gain additional picks. I'm in favor of trading back our third, for a 4th and a 5th. The middle of this draft is solid across the board and a real meat and potatoes type of draft class...one i'm sure grig's loves.

Sorry....   I didn't mean Hewitt as the 2nd or 3rd rated TE, I meant 2nd or 3rd rated FB.   

But I suspect you figure out what I meant.    Anyway....   that was my bad.   Sorry for any confusion.