Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

PFF's Draft Grader: Colts

MTC

Honestly that analysis is... off and frankly somewhat biased against.  I'm no where near a Polian liker, but even I give him more credit than that.  Costanzo has been more than just an average pickup.  He may not be elite at his position but he has been a rock for the line that has been in shambles elsewhere.  Moala was far from a negative grade.  If anything he was an even split.   And Brody and Powers both deserve at least a positive grade. Heck I'd give Nevis a pass on negative as well, as he at least made the D-line somewhat relevant.  

What other team drafts pro bowlers every year and starters every year...  It just doesn't happen.

Honestly that analysis is... off and frankly somewhat biased against. I'm no where near a Polian liker, but even I give him more credit than that. Costanzo has been more than just an average pickup. He may not be elite at his position but he has been a rock for the line that has been in shambles elsewhere. Moala was far from a negative grade. If anything he was an even split. And Brody and Powers both deserve at least a positive grade. Heck I'd give Nevis a pass on negative as well, as he at least made the D-line somewhat relevant.

What other team drafts pro bowlers every year and starters every year... It just doesn't happen.

No one drafts pro bowlers & starters every year, we know that

But the fact that 95% of the roster from both super bowls is gone gives you an idea of how bad our drafting was in the Polian era

Only one you can make an argument for are Collie, Hughes, & Powers

Collie & Powers were good just can't stay healthy & Hughes couldn't get a fair shot and is now in buffalo doing his thing

I strongly disagree with those grades.  Chris Polian's drafting was brutal, but Bill always had an eye for talent.  Looking at just this past year, Donald Brown and Jerry Hughes both had a lot of success.  Castonzo is really consistent, which is good to have for any position.  McAfee should be higher as I think the scouts definitely nailed that one/we got more than we bargained for since he was such a late pick and has turned into one of the league's best.  I could go on, but I think my point has been made

I strongly disagree with those grades. Chris Polian's drafting was brutal, but Bill always had an eye for talent. Looking at just this past year, Donald Brown and Jerry Hughes both had a lot of success. Castonzo is really consistent, which is good to have for any position. McAfee should be higher as I think the scouts definitely nailed that one/we got more than we bargained for since he was such a late pick and has turned into one of the league's best. I could go on, but I think my point has been made

Eh, I don't count Donald. Took him 5 years to finally live up to his 1st round pick. Sat behind Addai for majority of his career thus far, & will probably sit behind Matthews & Woodhead (Is he still a charger?) Next season

But the fact that 95% of the roster from both super bowls is gone gives you an idea of how bad our drafting was in the Polian era

Collie & Powers were good just can't stay healthy & Hughes couldn't get a fair shot and is now in buffalo doing his thing

You really think that the rosters would stay the same over 5-8 years?  Not even the patriots did that in their superbowls.  Their rosters changed alot too. 

facepalm

You really think that the rosters would stay the same over 5-8 years? Not even the patriots did that in their superbowls. Their rosters changed alot too.

I know rosters change, obviously from free agency & whatnot

My point is, all the players drafted had the same opportunity to make an impact here. If Robert, Adam, Reggie, Bethea (now gone) & others can stay on the roster even with the new era..... why couldn't the other guys?

Bad drafting. Just cause you get new management doesn't mean you'll automatically get cut if you're from the old regime.

Only ones I really could've seen being here still is Collie & Sanders but like I said, couldn't stay healthy

The only thing I was surprised about was Castonzo being in the 0.0 category.

Me too. The guy has been close to a League leader in sacks allowed in that time. I`m sure the same for hits and hurries.

600 plays a year where you are one of the worst at your job and a 100 where you are real good doesn`t equal a O.o

My point is, all the players drafted had the same opportunity to make an impact here. If Robert, Adam, Reggie, Bethea (now gone) & others can stay on the roster even with the new era..... why couldn't the other guys?

umm. ..because if we did we'd be broke. You have to continually pay them more and more to Kepler them typically. Plus you named all the pro bowlers. You don't have to be a pro bowler to be good.

Ok I wasn't a fan for most of this so I don't know the whole story on all these guys.

That having been said I have to take issue with this.  

Ray Fisher, CB (247th overall pick in 2010): Seventh-rounder who was released before the start of his first year in the league.

Graded a -.5

How is that at all atypical for a 7th round pick to be released before the start of the first year in the league?

its seems as if all Polian high round picks are graded badly, like Hughs and Brown....Hughs never really got a shot now he is turning into an alright LB in Buffalo i would rate him better, Brown turned out to be alright once a different scheme and coaching regime was installed...he should be better, i noticed a few more. Then you have Matthews and Conner, the only positive graded picks, both 7th round..hmmm seems fishy to me

I strongly disagree with those grades.  Chris Polian's drafting was brutal, but Bill always had an eye for talent.  Looking at just this past year, Donald Brown and Jerry Hughes both had a lot of success.  Castonzo is really consistent, which is good to have for any position.  McAfee should be higher as I think the scouts definitely nailed that one/we got more than we bargained for since he was such a late pick and has turned into one of the league's best.  I could go on, but I think my point has been made

I agree.

Just for fun, the other day I did a mock redraft from 1998 and on, using the same draft positions and who was available. The first 10 years; Polian did an excellent job, and I found myself picking a lot of the same players that he did. It is almost like he had the answers to the test. Of course he missed on a few players, but overall that man was a drafting genius. 

Bill Tobin gets overlooked for his drafting abilities more than Polian does. Tobin had a great gift for evaluating talent, and unfortunately NFL history overlooks him. He was the first GM to draft big time talent in Indy.