Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Telvin Smith out of FLorida st

Off the top of my head,  this is the only one I could think of....

Props to Axillarymac05 for coming up with the name...

Telvin Smith is 6'3" 218 and fast and athletic....   but I've read write-ups on him and not one had a single sentence that talked about this kind of move as even a possibility.....   so, I assume there are reasons why it's not being considered....

But, in theory at least,  I think Smith would make the most sense....

I could understand if we were looking for someone to take over in the future, but were going to need someone who might need to play this year.  I'm thinking were going to want someone who already knows how to play the position.

Denicos Allen out of Michigan State.  He's 5'11", 218 lbs.  For comparison's sake, Bob Sanders was 5'8", 206 lbs, Ed Reed is 5'11", 205 lbs, Troy Polamalu is 5'10", 207 lbs, Earl Thomas is 5'10", 202 lbs, Kam Chancellor is a massive 6'3", 232 lbs, and Eric Berry is 6'0", 211 lbs....that might have been overkill, but it should give you a general idea haha

Off the top of my head,  this is the only one I could think of....

Props to Axillarymac05 for coming up with the name...

Telvin Smith is 6'3" 218 and fast and athletic....   but I've read write-ups on him and not one had a single sentence that talked about this kind of move as even a possibility.....   so, I assume there are reasons why it's not being considered....

But, in theory at least,  I think Smith would make the most sense....

I think I've read about him being moved to safety, but he wants to stay at linebacker (which isn't surprising). It only makes sense. He's loose hipped and has play making ability. He should embrace that type of evaluation and potential move.

Interesting.. Something I didn't really think about... I'm not sure if I would want the Colts to do such thing though.. In my opinion they need more of a cover guy. We have Laron to lay the wood but he's not so good in coverage.. Hope we get more of a CB turned into S.

Cato June.

Cato June did the reverse. He went from Safety to Linebacker. He pulled it off because of the system. Lighter WILL Linebackers flourish in the Tampa2 because they play in a lot of space and need the speed. And he was a perfect fit for our system then. 

Are there any linebackers in this draft that could play learn to play safety? just a different idea if all the good safeties are gone

thank you for your time and thoughts

I get what you're going for, but it's usually the other way right?  Moving a college safety to LB, assuming he has the size because he should have the speed.

I know a lot of so called draft experts are targeting SS's for us, but we really need a FS with good coverage skills. 

I get what you're going for, but it's usually the other way right?  Moving a college safety to LB, assuming he has the size because he should have the speed.

I know a lot of so called draft experts are targeting SS's for us, but we really need a FS with good coverage skills. 

Its just a simple solution of flipping Landry back to his natural SS position

I expect Landry to be at SS this season. I think he was only FS due to be faster than Bethea. They changed them up from time to time but Landry's best plays came from the SS side of the field & he needs to stay there

Yeah, that's my point.  I don't think he's a very good FS.  I'm afraid the rules have also reduced his effectiveness at SS.  He seems to play a little tentative at times.

Never liked the idea of moving a LB to Safety. I do like the idea of Safety's being converted to LB's though

Interesting...  I'd like to think that either or can be done based on the characteristics of the player.  A slower, bigger safety could make a great LB in the right scheme.  I smaller, quick LB can make a good SS in the right scheme.

And if you think about it, often times colleges have to convert a player from one position to another if they didn't fill a need during the scouting/signing process, so some times you have that type of thing happen out of necessity at the college level.  All in all, I can't really see a good argument for being for it in one direction, but not the other.

Never liked the idea of moving a LB to Safety. I do like the idea of Safety's being converted to LB's though

See, I feel the exact opposite. I'd rather not move an undersized guy down in the box. We did that with Cato June, remember?

You'd rather see him covering slot receivers and TEs man-to-man? 

I don't know if people get this just yet. Our strong safety is essentially a run supporting slot corner. Not just a rangy wrecking ball. No more zone coverage free-wheeling from our SS. Can't play Landry there.

I don't know if people get this just yet. Our strong safety is essentially a run supporting slot corner. Not just a rangy wrecking ball. No more zone coverage free-wheeling from our SS. Can't play Landry there.

I had a really hard time coming to terms with that fact this year.  I wanted to believe (and a part of me still does) that Landry could be better in coverage if we got more pressure on the QB gave some relief to the secondary from having to cover their man while the QB sits in the pocket for 5 minutes at a time.  But even if that did happen, I don't think it will cover for the mistakes, thus the more I like the idea of moving him to FS.

I had a really hard time coming to terms with that fact this year.  I wanted to believe (and a part of me still does) that Landry could be better in coverage if we got more pressure on the QB gave some relief to the secondary from having to cover their man while the QB sits in the pocket for 5 minutes at a time.  But even if that did happen, I don't think it will cover for the mistakes, thus the more I like the idea of moving him to FS.

I like him on the back end. We play a lot of man and Cover 3, so he's ideally not going to be one on one down the field, and he has speed and range. He can also use his speed to crash down in run situations, but he has to tackle better when he gets there. We're all used to having the enforcer in the box, and that's not the case anymore. 

I like him on the back end. We play a lot of man and Cover 3, so he's ideally not going to be one on one down the field, and he has speed and range. He can also use his speed to crash down in run situations, but he has to tackle better when he gets there. We're all used to having the enforcer in the box, and that's not the case anymore. 

No joke about the tackling.  It's possible that the hamstring (I think that was his nagging issue) was part of the cause, but with or without the injury, he's no good to us if he can't tackle. 

Interesting...  I'd like to think that either or can be done based on the characteristics of the player.  A slower, bigger safety could make a great LB in the right scheme.  I smaller, quick LB can make a good SS in the right scheme.

And if you think about it, often times colleges have to convert a player from one position to another if they didn't fill a need during the scouting/signing process, so some times you have that type of thing happen out of necessity at the college level.  All in all, I can't really see a good argument for being for it in one direction, but not the other.

why would the lb have to be a smaller think of a bigger quick lb to SS . now that's what we need. see the topic on changing our D with the players we have. a genus came up with that idea

You'd rather see him covering slot receivers and TEs man-to-man? 

I'd be having him play the run more then half the time from SS and Ward as the single high FS, Last year we were in a no win situation at Safety because neither Bethea or Landry are ideal cover safeties...serviceable but not ideal........(and I expect San Fran brought Antoine in to play the run a significant percent of his snaps)...Besides its not like there are alot of Safeties out there that are great at covering the Grahams and Gronks of the world,  things can be done about that, dont have to force one of our Saeties into covering a TE often in Man coverage, Dropping D'qwell Jackson back to double cover with the Safety when coaching staff believes the offense will be going for the TE is anothe option, defense is about adjusting on the fly and excution  not the initial playcall