Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Archer's Final 2014 Colt Mock

First off, let me say that I hate projecting trades, but I'm doing it here.  Why?  Because I see three big needs for the Colts, and only two picks in the first four rounds.  Given Grigson's willingness to trade future picks, he will absolutely make a trade if he sees the same three big needs. 

2 (59): Lamarcus Joyner, S, Florida St.  An article talked about how Grigson loves the combine, because it causes great players he loves to fall due to the fact that they can't run as fast as others in their underwear.  This is why Joyner is a Grigson player.  He falls to the Colts because he has average speed.  However, he plays at full speed 100% of the time, and he gets to his (average) top speed extremely quickly on the field.  Great in coverage and against the run, he is an instant starter at FS (the last instant starting FS we could find in this draft, IMHO).

3 (70ish): Billy Turner, OL, North Dakota St.  Grigson trades next year's 2nd to the first team that will take it (most likely Cleveland if history serves).  Turner played LT in college, but probably projects as a G.  He is a nasty run blocker who also showed good athleticism to pass block and hit people on the run when pulling.  Obviously, his level of competition in college is an issue, and there will be an adjustment.  While I am high on Thornton as a RG (where he won't be asked to pull), I'm a little worried that Thomas is coming off two simultaneous tears and may be called upon to back up the C position.  Given that the only true back-up G is Lance Louis (coming off an injury), I think G becomes a big need.  (I like Reitz, but he can't run block, and Nixon is strictly RT/RG IMO.)

3 (90): Pierre Desir, CB, Lindenwood.  The final big need is a third outside CB.  We only seem to like Butler in the slot, and with Toler's injury history, the 3rd CB position is very important.  Currently, that position is held by Josh Gordy - not good enough!  I put this pick off until #90 because there are a lot of good CBs in this draft, and someone promising will be here for us (not so much for the other two big needs).  Other possibilities are Phillip or E.J. Gaines, Keith McGill, or a few others.  As for Desir, I like his story.  A Haitian, who is married with two children, he is a relative late-comer to the sport.  But he is a heck of an athlete who showed big ability at a low level of competition.  He has Grigson written all over him.

5 (166): Ryan Carrethers, NT, Arkansas St.  6'1", 337 lbs., ran a 4.60 short shuttle, 34 bench reps at PD.  At that size, he had 93 tackles, 8 TFL, and 4 sacks as a senior.  I expected us to pick up at least a veteran NT to back up Chapman, but it didn't happen.  Carrethers would be a huge athletic upgrade over current back-up Jeris Pendleton and would help ensure we have effective play at NT.

6 (203): Alden Darby, S, Arizona St.  I'm not crazy about anyone currently manning our S positions.  I like Howell as a versatile back-up who can play either position.  But other than that, we've got ST players back there.  I'd pick up the versatile Darby, who played SS as a senior, but has the speed and coverage ability to play FS.  He's another relatively small safety, but I'm not looking for an enforcer (but rather someone who can cover). 

7 (232): Derrell Johnson, OLB, E. Carolina.  Okay, here's where BPA comes into play.  We've taken care of the needs, and I liked what I read when someone on this forum mentioned him as one of his favorite late-round sleepers.  (I would give credit, but I can't remember who it was.)  Anyhoo, I also really like DL Jay Bromley, who many are projecting to last to this spot.  I think RB is a position I would like to add someone, but I think there will be a lot of Rookie FAs after the draft who will do nicely. 

Chuckle

Of course McGlynn was asked to pull but he could barely get to the hole before Havili, therefore a dud.

The ONLY thing that Thornton showed skill at is moving to pull. And we are Desperate for that to improve our 3.3ypc running to Castonzo`s outside. Thornton will improve in time, but lets hope he is a BACKUP to start the season.

Yip, adding a corner with future starting talent is a real need. 

lmao at those who Bash Toler. He MADE our poorly talented D.

Gordy was very competive and will only improve.

Grigson is decisive, and I'm OK with it if he trades future picks for a strong draft this year, but at some point, I'd also like to see him re-balance our trade deficit.  Over time, you will have a negative impact on your roster by trading away future draft position.  

Desir is also a bad choice if people think he'll be an answer to Toler getting injured. He's very raw and his extremely small level of competition means that he'll need to learn a lot. IMO he shouldn't be playing until after 2 years. If you want a guy who can come in and hold it down if Toler gets hurt, I say look at McGill. He needs refinement too but his size can mask some of his obvious flaws for awhile. What he lacks in technique, he makes up for with size and physicality.

Grigson might reach on one of the Florida CB trio though. Purifoy and Roberson are both hot garbage on tape but they're exactly the type of players that will fall and Grigson will scoop up and try and fix because they have good measurables.

Not a fan of your draft at all. Don't like trading a future 2nd just to get another OG.

Wait a minute....you wouldn't give up next year's 2 to draft Larry Warford now?  Not saying Billy Turner is Larry Warford, but if you can draft that quality at 70 (somewhat likely this year), I'd do it all day long.

Wait a minute....you wouldn't give up next year's 2 to draft Larry Warford now?  Not saying Billy Turner is Larry Warford, but if you can draft that quality at 70 (somewhat likely this year), I'd do it all day long.

Exactly, I completely agree.  I have no problem trading away a future pick as long as the player we get with that pick has the equivalent round talent...hope that made sense. lol  In other words, if Grigson traded away next year's 1st for a 2nd this year but still got a 1st round quality player then I dont' see the problem.  As long as we're getting equivalent value (a little bonus like a mid round pick would be nice too) then who cares if we get that player this year or next?

Desir is also a bad choice if people think he'll be an answer to Toler getting injured. He's very raw and his extremely small level of competition means that he'll need to learn a lot. IMO he shouldn't be playing until after 2 years.

I get what you're saying, as he is relatively raw.  However, I think he'll be an okay option pretty early in his rookie season.  Obviously, guys like him get picked on by veteran QBs in their rookie seasons, and having a rookie in there is not an ideal option.  However, we're out of ideal options, and I think he'll compete with Gordy for the #3 spot right off the gate.  He could be a starter by his second year.  We just need another option with talent for this year...

I like the picks, but I'd rather trade Vick Ballard for a third round pick, rather than a future second rounder.

Vick Ballard coming off an ACL probably wouldn't even get you a 6th.

A conditional 7th that can become a 6th depending on playing time is your best bet if we trade Ballard(which won't happen but still)

I really like Derrell Johnson at the rush backer, I had a post about him in another thread a week ago. This guy can play

Then, I'm sure you're the poster that got me reading about him!  Nice find!  I haven't researched a lot of OLBs, because I see a lot of other needs and I wouldn't draft one high until I had a better idea of what Werner is going to turn into (sometime this next season).  I guess I see a better chance than most fans that Mathis will be retained and be effective after this next season, too.

Very nice effort, Archer....

I think you can flip-flop your two third round picks.    Meaning take a corner at 70 and I think there's a good chance that Turner, or another solid interior OL would be available at 90.

That said....

I'm just not a fan of trading future picks for current picks.    I hate trading a next year's 2 for a this year's 3.

Just as I hated trading a future 4 (this year's) for a 5 last year for Hughes.

Sooner or later,  this catches up to you....   

And Carrethers is on my short list of picks for us as a NT to supplement and support Chapman.   In fact, he's Chapman 2.0!

Nicely done!    Don't make this your last mock...   you've still got another 2 weeks to go!!    :thmup:

First off, let me say that I hate projecting trades, but I'm doing it here.  Why?  Because I see three big needs for the Colts, and only two picks in the first four rounds.  Given Grigson's willingness to trade future picks, he will absolutely make a trade if he sees the same three big needs. 

2 (59): Lamarcus Joyner, S, Florida St.  An article talked about how Grigson loves the combine, because it causes great players he loves to fall due to the fact that they can't run as fast as others in their underwear.  This is why Joyner is a Grigson player.  He falls to the Colts because he has average speed.  However, he plays at full speed 100% of the time, and he gets to his (average) top speed extremely quickly on the field.  Great in coverage and against the run, he is an instant starter at FS (the last instant starting FS we could find in this draft, IMHO).

3 (70ish): Billy Turner, OL, North Dakota St.  Grigson trades next year's 2nd to the first team that will take it (most likely Cleveland if history serves).  Turner played LT in college, but probably projects as a G.  He is a nasty run blocker who also showed good athleticism to pass block and hit people on the run when pulling.  Obviously, his level of competition in college is an issue, and there will be an adjustment.  While I am high on Thornton as a RG (where he won't be asked to pull), I'm a little worried that Thomas is coming off two simultaneous tears and may be called upon to back up the C position.  Given that the only true back-up G is Lance Louis (coming off an injury), I think G becomes a big need.  (I like Reitz, but he can't run block, and Nixon is strictly RT/RG IMO.)

3 (90): Pierre Desir, CB, Lindenwood.  The final big need is a third outside CB.  We only seem to like Butler in the slot, and with Toler's injury history, the 3rd CB position is very important.  Currently, that position is held by Josh Gordy - not good enough!  I put this pick off until #90 because there are a lot of good CBs in this draft, and someone promising will be here for us (not so much for the other two big needs).  Other possibilities are Phillip or E.J. Gaines, Keith McGill, or a few others.  As for Desir, I like his story.  A Haitian, who is married with two children, he is a relative late-comer to the sport.  But he is a heck of an athlete who showed big ability at a low level of competition.  He has Grigson written all over him.

5 (166): Ryan Carrethers, NT, Arkansas St.  6'1", 337 lbs., ran a 4.60 short shuttle, 34 bench reps at PD.  At that size, he had 93 tackles, 8 TFL, and 4 sacks as a senior.  I expected us to pick up at least a veteran NT to back up Chapman, but it didn't happen.  Carrethers would be a huge athletic upgrade over current back-up Jeris Pendleton and would help ensure we have effective play at NT.

6 (203): Alden Darby, S, Arizona St.  I'm not crazy about anyone currently manning our S positions.  I like Howell as a versatile back-up who can play either position.  But other than that, we've got ST players back there.  I'd pick up the versatile Darby, who played SS as a senior, but has the speed and coverage ability to play FS.  He's another relatively small safety, but I'm not looking for an enforcer (but rather someone who can cover). 

7 (232): Derrell Johnson, OLB, E. Carolina.  Okay, here's where BPA comes into play.  We've taken care of the needs, and I liked what I read when someone on this forum mentioned him as one of his favorite late-round sleepers.  (I would give credit, but I can't remember who it was.)  Anyhoo, I also really like DL Jay Bromley, who many are projecting to last to this spot.  I think RB is a position I would like to add someone, but I think there will be a lot of Rookie FAs after the draft who will do nicely. 

Best mock I've seen thus far, nice job.

I'm not sure if Joyner is the best option to get round 2.... He is going to get ran over and the big receivers we have in this league will catch balls all day! He's a good player but there are better players who for the scheme of the Colts way more than Joyner does

I like it. I think we see eye to eye on this draft more than most the only thing I might do is grab a CB then come back for Trai Turner I just think Grigs likes that speed.

I agree with your concern about Thomas think you can see/hear it when Grigs talks about him. Let's hope Louis is real good. We got the hardest part of the O Line looking good the T's should be able to shore up the interior with just some continuity.

Glad to see no C Holmes is the guy this year why Costa was brought in to push and back up 3 spots not really contend for the spot. We just need to get he G's squared up. I could see Cyril Richardson early. No need to worry about Joyner's size he is a player

I'm not sure if Joyner is the best option to get round 2.... He is going to get ran over and the big receivers we have in this league will catch balls all day! He's a good player but there are better players who for the scheme of the Colts way more than Joyner does

I don't think you play him at SS. I think you let him roam at FS and put him on the guys In the slot who are likely to be smaller anyways. Ward is also smaller but he plays big, and he can tackle just about anywhere. But if size is the thing, I think that's why we've brought in Bucannon for a visit and were at his pro day. He's got great size. Or like Superman pointed out in his latest mock, get Antone Exum who was a safety at VT, but then switched to CB. He's got size but he also has speed. I watched some tape of him against Clemson and he was able to able to go stride for stride with him.

I don't think you play him at SS. I think you let him roam at FS and put him on the guys In the slot who are likely to be smaller anyways. Ward is also smaller but he plays big, and he can tackle just about anywhere. But if size is the thing, I think that's why we've brought in Bucannon for a visit and were at his pro day. He's got great size. Or like Superman pointed out in his latest mock, get Antone Exum who was a safety at VT, but then switched to CB. He's got size but he also has speed. I watched some tape of him against Clemson and he was able to able to go stride for stride with him.

Yeah no doubt we are going to get a FS to help cover the WR. We are looking for a quick coverage safety. But I'm just iffy about Joyner.. I really like Bucannon, he would be at the top of my list right now. (Although I am no scouting expert )

And I like the idea of the Exum guy also! Even if Howell of someone else got starting job they could supply great depth at CB and S of the Colts were in a bad spot with injuries

I would be very surprised if Bucannon was there at 59 for my money he is the 3rd best S in the draft. He can play either S position and his ball skill are very underrated on this board. I don't think they will be when the pro's are doing he evaluating.  

I am a big fan of Exum. I think he plays CB better than S and I would look back at his injury history before getting too excited. I also believe he considers himself a CB.  I like Dontae Johnson as well who plays S/CB but I believe he is the opposite better at S than CB. I really like the versatility both would bring. I would be happy with either of those guys ecstatic with both. I would love to some how get Bucannon but don't see that happening at 59.

Could take he O Lineman at 59 come back for Exum then hope Johnson Ladler or the likes fall to us in the 5th. It would be nice to see us pick up and extra 3rd or 4th rounder.

I just think this draft offers us the ability to shore up the back end for a while and add another piece to the O Line. I hope that is the direction the team goes. I want that D everyone has been talking about since Pagano got here. I feel like we are set on O except the interior of that line. Shouldn't be difficult to fix. It's not like we are getting beat on the edges that is a big problem.

I would be very surprised if Bucannon was there at 59 for my money he is the 3rd best S in the draft. He can play either S position and his ball skill are very underrated on this board. I don't think they will be when the pro's are doing he evaluating.  

I am a big fan of Exum. I think he plays CB better than S and I would look back at his injury history before getting too excited. I also believe he considers himself a CB.  I like Dontae Johnson as well who plays S/CB but I believe he is the opposite better at S than CB. I really like the versatility both would bring. I would be happy with either of those guys ecstatic with both. I would love to some how get Bucannon but don't see that happening at 59.

Could take he O Lineman at 59 come back for Exum then hope Johnson Ladler or the likes fall to us in the 5th. It would be nice to see us pick up and extra 3rd or 4th rounder.

I just think this draft offers us the ability to shore up the back end for a while and add another piece to the O Line. I hope that is the direction the team goes. I want that D everyone has been talking about since Pagano got here. I feel like we are set on O except the interior of that line. Shouldn't be difficult to fix. It's not like we are getting beat on the edges that is a big problem.

Unfortunately, Buccannon is blowing up. All they talk about on Path to the Draft is how underrated he is, and the safety race is a lot closer than initially indicated. I'm almost convinced that he's a top 20 player on our board probably with all the interest we've shown. I just hope either him or Ward fall to us.

IDK about Exum. I saw his potential at CB and it's good, but the one glaring flaw I saw was that while he can go stride for stride with anyone and makes plays, he doesn't always turn his head and look for the ball. But he has the size and experience to play Safety. I think if he clears medically, he could be a steal in the 3rd, or you could even trade down and get him in the 4th.

I'm all for going O-line IF the top players are gone at 59. If we don't get Buccannon, Ward, or one of the top pass rushers,  I like Joel Bitonio. A guy who can play C,G, and OT is a valuable commodity when you have an O-line like ours where one position is likely to be up in the air.

Unfortunately, Buccannon is blowing up. All they talk about on Path to the Draft is how underrated he is, and the safety race is a lot closer than initially indicated. I'm almost convinced that he's a top 20 player on our board probably with all the interest we've shown. I just hope either him or Ward fall to us.

IDK about Exum. I saw his potential at CB and it's good, but the one glaring flaw I saw was that while he can go stride for stride with anyone and makes plays, he doesn't always turn his head and look for the ball. But he has the size and experience to play Safety. I think if he clears medically, he could be a steal in the 3rd, or you could even trade down and get him in the 4th.

I'm all for going O-line IF the top players are gone at 59. If we don't get Buccannon, Ward, or one of the top pass rushers,  I like Joel Bitonio. A guy who can play C,G, and OT is a valuable commodity when you have an O-line like ours where one position is likely to be up in the air.

I agree I like Bitonio still think Grigs has a thing for Turner

If we could get the O Line some time together it really could come on. The coaches obviously like Holmes we have not made a move to really challenge him. Costa was a 3 position back up so Holmes would win the job. Thorton got a ton of experience another camp plus moving back to RG should take a jump. If Thomas is ready to roll we could be in pretty good shape in the interior. Then toss Louis in there too??

Oline needs  continuity they need time together. No injuries in camp this year.

I would love to get Bucannon just don't see him there at 59